Pet Peeves

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Hearing people count time by incorrectly saying, "ONE thousand, TWO thousand, THREE thousand..." The correct way is, "One thousand ONE, one thousand TWO, one thousand THREE..." When you listen to a stopwatch tick, there are 4 ticks for each second, not three. If you count seconds with only 3 syllables then you are counting too fast. I don’t know why that irks me so much.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
ONE (one thousand) TWO (one thousand) THREE (one thousand) FOUR (one thousand) ... that's how we do it. :)

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
ONE (one thousand) TWO (one thousand) THREE (one thousand) FOUR (one thousand) ... that's how we do it. :)
I used to say it that way also because that's how I was taught when I was a child. Then one day I realized I was emphasizing the "ONE" right off the bat when only a tenth of a second had gone by. I know no one says it the way I do but that's only because the rest of the world is wrong.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
I used to say it that way also because that's how I was taught when I was a child. Then one day I realized I was emphasizing the "ONE" right off the bat when only a tenth of a second had gone by. I know no one says it the way I do but that's only because the rest of the world is wrong.
Nice.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The young generation now that uses the word “like” over and over while speaking.
“We like just went up the mountain and like there was this bear and we were like oh no what do we do? And I was like, I think we better run and they were like, we totally agree.”

And add to that the upward inflection of their voice at the end of their sentences.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gen Z and Millenials use the word "So" in place of "Once upon a time." That doesn't bother me so much.

What bothers me is what they say to end a story which is, "So...yeah."

So...yeah? What the...

WHAT?

glassjester

Hearing people count time by incorrectly saying, "ONE thousand, TWO thousand, THREE thousand..." The correct way is, "One thousand ONE, one thousand TWO, one thousand THREE..." When you listen to a stopwatch tick, there are 4 ticks for each second, not three. If you count seconds with only 3 syllables then you are counting too fast. I don’t know why that irks me so much.
You don't count Mississippis?

Hoping

Banned
Does the same rule apply to "count time" with letters instead of numbers?
MI, MII, MIII, MIV, MV.

Last edited: