On the omniscience of God

Derf

It is an assertion anyway. The scripture you are asking for is rather not the proper request, from my theological viewpoint. Because time isn't a factor, the past is already as He willed it.
By that criterion, today is as He willed it, too, but then why would Jesus tell the disciples to pray "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven."
Yep, I do! All analogies break down if you want to make absurd of them. You might as well claim 'clay' is just as inane (Romans 9/Jeremiah 18). Yeah, I have no problem with Legos. One man's plastic is another's clay, no?
Apparently not, since God ascribes willfulness to the clay.
[Jer 18:4 KJV] And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make [it].
Autonomy means 'self-governance' and "not free to eat from this tree" isn't an instance persay of self-governance, if you follow.
[Gal 5:22-23 NKJV] 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

I don't doubt that these attributes were available to Adam and Eve in the Garden.
No doubt we are autonomous to a greater degree, due to sin that separates. No doubt scripture speaks to this condition. I'm not sure if I'm reading autonomy in this verse either. A condition by Another is set, and that isn't autonomy ('self' governance) exactly.
A condition is set that is in the power of the one to meet or not meet. They are not controlled from the outside to make sure they meet or don't meet the condition. That's what self-governance is about. That's what was going on (or not) in the garden.
I think it plays in but i was looking for:

It isn't that I'm doubting you, just trying to see where you are headed and the significance by asking for the verses (discovery mode, not sure where this is going, just trying to grasp the significance and wanting scriptural context for consideration).
And so should you be willing to give verses for those assertions that are speculative, if you use them to say someone else is wrong.
Except it is projecting. You are imposing your ideas upon mine. Above is just one more example. I think we have to put things in our own words to understand another but it should be noted we may not be very good at it. Something in Open Theism greatly appeals to you, and sets off all kinds of scriptural warning flags for me. In order to dialogue, we have to get better at it, hence -TOL communication.
What that means, imo, is that when you have scriptural warning flags go off, you give those scriptures and we can talk about them. When you ask for scriptures, and I give them, we can talk about them. When I ask for scriptures, and you say they aren't necessary, we can't talk about them.
Not too important (not saying I don't care again). Automaton is a bit down the rabbit-trail from essential need in conversation. I never bring it up. It just doesn't fit reality for anybody so I react by trying to show it isn't a great discussion point (whether I've succeeded or failed).
It doesn't fit reality because you are a closet open theist.
I don't believe I was incorrect (it is 'why' I wouldn't care). If I could be, I'd be happy because God is good. All this said, I think automaton cannot but make odd rabbit trails. We are on one :Z
Supra
Actually no. If I were convinced of truth, I'd be Open Theist tomorrow. "Not dealing with it" is imagined by Open Theists more often than not. There are cognitive hurdles (and walls) against me being an Open Theist.
Supra x 2
There is no 'do not want to' but rather because I cognitively object: "won't." Want has not a lot to do with it. I don't either want nor not want to be an Open Theist. I simply want truth, and then follow it.

Except no Calvinist agrees with you. Not. Even. One. It means, literally, you made it up (the 'unjustly' part).
No, not overtly. But the Westminster Confession illustrates it. Here's John Piper talking about it:
It might be worth noting that almost all of this is related to our respective views of time. I don't believe God can be constrained, logically, to a unidirectional time-frame. It just isn't possible and makes no sense on a metaphysical level at all (it can't).
Yet, where do we get our metaphysical descriptions of God? From scripture. So let's use it.
On that note, if I start calling you a 'settled' theist?
Defined how? I've been showing where I think settled theists are wrong. Why do you think I qualify as one?
That we can't get something from the future? We have no ability at this moment to make it happen. God cannot be bound by time else He cannot be God (type that sentence into a Google search or chatGPT).
Another great source? Again, let's get our understanding from God's message to us, not from automatons, eh?
Most philosophers do not understand the middle-ground because they believe in their conception that will not change to reflect the difference, between temporal and atemporal. They believe something erroneous: That temporal cannot come from atemporal, yet material came from non-material (God). We think of the universe as 'concrete' and the spiritual as ethereal. It is opposite: Physical comes from nonphysical. God has no 'substance' that we'd recognize other than metaphysical assent. It is a whole conversation and I wonder sometimes if the difference between theologies is whether someone can follow quantum physics propositions or not.
But you haven't shown what "atemporal" is beyond your own opinion.
Explanation: The best I can do about assertion on this is a box (God is infinite/beyond thus this a limited box analogy fails).
Inside the box is everything, moving. As you are watching the movement over one second (compared to eternity), you see everything simultaneously. You are both observing and capable of interacting 'inside' the box yet outside of it and capable of doing other things while watching what is going on inside the box.

Some Like Craig assert 1) that movement and duration is necessary for existence (I disagree else God would have a beginning). and that God
must be temporal (again, I disagree, no beginning, thus no single direction, it is impossible).
Others assert 2) that God must be atemporal or else He can not have always existed because time locks one into unidirectional constraints.
Again, where do we find such explanations in the bible? Are we merely having a philosophical discussion?
In a nutshell, these two groups argue against one another and I argue it is rather both. God is relational to but not restricted by, time.

IOW, by arguing against one another, they created a false dichotomy in their limited thinking. It'd be akin to God walking and talking with Adam and another group insisting that no temple can contain Him (spiritual or physical, not both). Answer? "You set up a false dilemma and if the two of you don't grasp what you are doing falsely, this conversation will go on forever." The answer is 'both.'

If I can name a way something 'can' happen in reality, it means that the possibility has to be entertained to be true. If it 'can' happen logistically, then God 'can' do it. The past converges with 'now' and into future when something from the past yet exists. It means the thing exists, not just existed, not just 'will exist' in the future. If language intimates the time barrier slips (and it does) then the possiblitity (at least) exists. It isn't just that it is possible, literally you existed in the past. Literally you exist now, and we know from scripture you will literally exist in the future and that choices past and now, will affect/do affect your future. The lines between past present and future are randomly drawn. I am not actually communicating with you right now. You will believe I am because I wrote a note into the future. Now is my now. Your now is actually my future!
Your response is to my past. It is over and done with, yet you will write as if you are affecting my future even though I cannot change one word of this now (later I can if I correct, but this is yours, now, exactly as it is and unalterable, yet aterable, depending). It means we always interact with our immediate past and immediate future in a tangible way that erases lines. On this dialogue, you and I are interacting over hours if not days 'as if it were minutes.' Some will interact and say 'this is absurd!' It is sad they say that. It is not absurd: this is quantum mechanics and physics. Are they telling me their ability to think is limited by 'fairy tales!' 🤔 This is the stuff of actual interaction, a necessity of one's past meeting my present, and going into the future by necessity. We cannot communicate otherwises. Your 'now' is reading this in my future. I wrote it in your past. One of my favorite Mitch Hedberg jokes: "Here is a picture of me when I was younger." "Dude! Every picture of you is when you were younger!"

This is why there are a number of thread on TOL about time, this specific disagreement. I believe it the lynchpin and proverbial nail in the coffin. If one can ever get another to understand why their view is essential to truth, it will be the end of one theology or the other. It will 'settle' the debate once and for all.

Not what I asked. This one was specific. Can you reject God? I say no new creation can. 1 John 2:19
I think a new creation can. In Revelation 20, there are many that have been resurrected. These are new creations, as far as I can tell (this goes back to what death and resurrection mean, from one of my threads on the topic). If they are new creations, ones that are incorruptible (death has no more dominion over them, because death and Hades have been thrown into the lake of fire), and they are thrown into the lake of fire, isn't because they have rejected the true source of their salvation?
Will go back to illustration above and add one question: What does 'fully' mean to you?
I'm not understanding your question. Fully means without reserve, but it's still only actionable on what is, not what isn't. "Fully everyone in the world" includes everyone living in the world right now, not someone who might live in 2050 or someone who might have lived in 1850. So it depends on what is meant (context).
This is a time-constrained thought process and question. It visualizes 'future' in a linear direction. If I can get any Open Theist to break from linear conception of time, it will at least help them grasp many of the rest of our premise in Christianity.
Why should any do so? Give us scripture.
Conflation. You aren't really asking if He interacted with a beast. You are asking if He saw something. Do you know what a simile is?
It is like a metaphor. ;)
Caution: Your mind jumped to an absurd to try and deal with 'future' in order to dismiss it and gave me no other option such as "Did John see this in the future?" where I could say 'yes.' Rather, you are asking about a beast, no matter 'when' he saw it, and asking if something 'like a beast' is a real beast. It is a simile, not even a metaphor at this venture. It is 'like' a beast.
Did John experience the future in seeing the beast, or was he "shown" something about the future?
Final answer: Yes, John saw something that he likened to a lion. Yes, it was future (had to be): Revelation 4:1
Good. Now you are admitting that God, in His heaven, is subject to time, since John was "up here", but not yet viewing anything on the earth yet.
Revelation 5:4,5 🤔
Then these sobering words:
Rev 22:18 For I testify together to everyone who hears the Words of the prophecy of this Book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add on him the plagues that have been written in this Book.
Rev 22:19 And if anyone takes away from the Words of the Book of this prophecy, God will take away his part out of the Book of Life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which have been written in this Book.
So why do you imagine God's atemporality? Are you adding, or taking away?
We both want to be careful we aren't adding nor taking away by our assertions!

I believe it does so by limiting and misconceiving who God is.

Are you using Einstein's vocabular when you say relative? I want to make sure because for us, time seems unidirectional yet do not agree that past/present/future intersect all the time with no clear barrier other than a watch that actually measure light/position change and calls it time.

The box analogy. I believe I need to hear how you qualify relativity and unidirectional time.
God doesn't go back in time. I think I've made that clear. I expect His is the absolutest of timeframes.
They actually are if you understand relativity. Einstein wasn't merely speculating, he was drawing clear diagrams of how 'it must be.'
Einstein's relativity imagines everyone has their own timeframe, but no one can go back in his own.
Let's set parameters. 1) Possible not meaning will, but 'can be done.' 2) because time is relative, it means that what we experience is the actual. In that sense it will not change and we can consider God's stamp on it as 'done deal.' 3) Hypotheticals have to be tested, but show rather possibility. If it is 'possible' it means doable.
With God all things are possible, so even the impossible is doable. So it doesn't really matter if we can figure out a way for it to work, there are some things we think are doable, but God doesn't do them (for whatever reason). And we shouldn't suppose that because we can think of them God does them or even causes a like effect.
Regarding assertions about future knowledge erasing choice:
1) Can you describe how we could get an almanac from the future? Is it possible?
-I'm anticipating "No,no."
Agreed. There is no such thing as an almanac from the future. It isn't possible. (btw, I think you probably mean a history book about future events rather than an almanac, as an almanac is mostly prediction of future events).
How can we assert how it even came into existence then? If it is simply a record 'from the future' the information is based on our choices.
And others choices who maybe haven't even been born.
2) Here then the caution: We are talking about our views on God and they should be based on solid information. An inkling that I might not have a freewill, or an inkling that I have one, aren't bedrock kinds of ideas. We want theology that is based on as much bedrock as we can find. It generally means we have to go deeper to find rock. The attempt here (a good one) is to find the bedrock of argument about time.
Which should come from a reliable source. Our sources here on earth are mostly unreliable. We can't study the future, but we can study the past and make projections from what we learn. We can study the Bible and extrapolate, but we should recognize the difference between biblical truth and extrapolation.
Haven't watched interstellar (or many other movies).

The paradox comes 'within' time as unidirectional.
No, the paradox comes from imagining time as not unidirectional.
While I haven't watched Interstellar, I'd imagine it might have covered convergence of time. We all have 'now.' Note that your 'now' is my past (I still believe this, but I didn't just write it). In fact, I can relegate a lot of this post to my past now too. I wrote some of this an hour ago. Because "I" haven't changed, I can determine that my past information is still good and current 'my now, your future.' I can also determine that it will be good for yur information in the future (your now, my future). Here is the question: When did I write this? Another question while...I...am...typing...this...sentence: Can I change it? It is just now, in my past. Can I change the sentence? It depends on what you mean but it is now in my past and in your future. I can certainly go 'back' after you are done reading this and I wish I was clever enough to come up with a cool future change that would leave a 'wow' moment but I'm just not that clever at the moment (maybe later :thinking). At any point we think about past present future, we do 'time-travel' to a degree else we'd not be able to conceive of Lincoln being shot over 100 years ago. Pictures, from the past, help us to envision what Lincoln looked like today. He doesn't look like that today. He has turned to dirt. All of this to say past/present/future aren't quite the hurdles nor starkly (at all) separated. There are people celebrating tomorrow already on the planet. In your mind you are saying, 'no, they are experiencing our now.' That's egocentric, maybe they are the ones who have time right and we should be on Thursday. "Not what I'm meaning." I realize I'm not literally calling into the future, but I am calling into Thursday! They are calling into what for them is yesterday. Their birthday will not be celebrated the same day if they are in one place or the other. (It means our concepts of time, even in what we imagine marches forward, can march any direction).
Hardly.
Or did God ordain you'd say that? 🤔 (I get it from both sides).

But 'when' did it become unchangeable. We 'think' the past makes it so, but we are trying to nail exactly when something cements after being wet. I think of time as 'wet.' "When" did it become solid? In the future where it is given? 🤔

Again, it depends not when it was laid, but when it stopped being wet.

Yet when cement stopped being wet is the issue and it is my assertion 'when' isn't the issue over all of it, just when it became hard and unchangeable.

We have to, the idea is when time becomes solid. If it is gelled, then everything is in place as it sets and can be moved until it sets. The end product was already there and what is preserved is what no longer moves.
Our posting past becomes solid when we hit "post".
First, I was asking if that is what you had in mind because your story seemed to fit. Second is it okay to predetermine Josiah, just not you? Jeremiah (1:5)? How important was choice to either of them? Were either Open Theists?
David was. [2Sa 12:22 KJV] 22 And he said, While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept: for I said, Who can tell [whether] GOD will be gracious to me, that the child may live?
Was Josiah an automaton? Jeremiah? Was his or his lack of choice a negative connotation? Sometimes robots have choice (randomizer). Is 'choice' really an indicator of meaningful relationships? I'm asking because there is a disconnect between assertions and what I'm seeing. They don't seem to be connected like Open Theists are trying to connect them, so I have to ask. It doesn't look like choice nor negative are true. Where do the assertions come from? How do they hold up against scriptures we can test them with such as Jeremiah and Josiah?
Why do you think these things are exclusive? Cannot God make sure His will is done in a matter without foreordaining everything else?
Ordain/foreordination is the word. The other conflates ideas with God's desire.
Good. We agree. Let's just call it "settled theism":
https://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/ordain
"properly: to set"
I'll try to read it sometime.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Let's put it this way....

If he still believes the things he said in the thread that Lon posted a link to about "God's prescriptive and decretive will" then he's still a Calvinist.

I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that he still does and is. He wouldn't be the first Calvinist who didn't want to be associated with Calvin, which is quite telling, actually. The thing to do is, when someone who argues Calvinist doctrine tells you that they aren't a Calvinist, ask them which doctrines of Calvinism that they reject. They typically won't answer you at all and when they do answer, it's usually some really minor and obscure detail that doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Hilston would definitely give an answer - for sure - and he'd insist until he was blue in the face that it amounts to a major departure from "Calvinism" but you'd have to spend a month tweezing out the details of just what it is that he's actually rejecting about whatever it is he's claims to reject. In short, I'd be flabergasted to find that there's a dime's worth of difference between Hilston's doctrine and the hardest core, Five-point, double-predestination Calvinism that you can find.

Derf

two things
1:
On the Settled View,
'nuff said.

2: Are you saying you agree with Hilston's explanations of the two wills in the rest of the thread there? You would agree that the prescriptive will is for the group of people, but the decretive will is for the individuals (to include the group sometimes)? Isn't that really saying that God is powerless to bring about His prescriptive will without resorting to the things his prescriptive will forbids? As here:
Thus, we see God's decretive will (unjust hatred and deceit, jealousy, selfishness, kidnapping, etc.) are contrary to His prescriptive will (prohibitions against unjust hatred and deceit, jealousy, selfishness, kidnapping, etc.).

Reactions: Lon

Derf

Irresistable Grace?

I couldn't resist. You? If you say "yes" why didn't you?
I don't get this. When there are numerous people that resist, we should ask them. But why ask a person who didn't resist something he sees as good why he didn't resist?

Lon

two things
1:

'nuff said.
Hilston wasn't the one bothered ;)
2: Are you saying you agree with Hilston's explanations of the two wills in the rest of the thread there? You would agree that the prescriptive will is for the group of people, but the decretive will is for the individuals (to include the group sometimes)? Isn't that really saying that God is powerless to bring about His prescriptive will without resorting to the things his prescriptive will forbids? As here:
Hilston was, I think borrowing from Westminster for the terms. All of us (even Open Theists) see a difference between God's intent and sin entering the world. The difference between my or other's theology vs. Open Theism is in the details. God wants Holiness. The Parable/analogy of the Wheat and Tares speaks to the difference: An enemy sowed the weeds. Leave them lest you angels harm one of the wheat!
I don't get this. When there are numerous people that resist, we should ask them. But why ask a person who didn't resist something he sees as good why he didn't resist?
I erased that because it was all to Hilston (misread my name in there with the quote). Irresistible Grace does lead back into election, in the sense that whoever God 'can' save 'will' be saved. If you follow. I tend to be more Amyraldian, have about 3 3/4 agreement with T-U-L-i-P.

I think you do get, along with me, that you and I certainly couldn't resist a love like our Lord Jesus Christ (Not exactly what Calvinists mean so I'm maybe 1/2 on page ).

Derf

Hilston wasn't the one bothered ;)

Hilston was, I think borrowing from Westminster for the terms. All of us (even Open Theists) see a difference between God's intent and sin entering the world. The difference between my or other's theology vs. Open Theism is in the details. God wants Holiness. The Parable/analogy of the Wheat and Tares speaks to the difference: An enemy sowed the weeds. Leave them lest you angels harm one of the wheat!

I erased that because it was all to Hilston (misread my name in there with the quote). Irresistible Grace does lead back into election, in the sense that whoever God 'can' save 'will' be saved. If you follow. I tend to be more Amyraldian, have about 3 3/4 agreement with T-U-L-i-P.

I think you do get, along with me, that you and I certainly couldn't resist a love like our Lord Jesus Christ (Not exactly what Calvinists mean so I'm maybe 1/2 on page ).
Which letters still need some work? Maybe we need a thread to discuss TULIP again. So far, you've agreed that the L and the I are caveated, at least. Most Calvinists have leaned away from Total Depravity toward Total Inability, so that one's caveated for us. Perseverance of the Saints can only be understood in light of the others, so it will follow what we decide on the others. What's left? Unconditional Election? The bible is full of conditions for salvation, like "Believe" and possibly "be baptized" (Please, MAD'ers, I'm merely making the condition point, not arguing for or against--at least it was "required" for some, right?). Persevering to the end is seen as a condition by some, too, at least for some.

Is there anything left?

And can we use this to understand better what "omniscience" means? If the whole of TULIP needs to be caveated to be understood, why wouldn't that be true of the attributes of God? We want to understand what God tells us about Himself before we implant ideas in our minds about what a god or The God really is like.

Lon

By that criterion, today is as He willed it, too, but then why would Jesus tell the disciples to pray "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven."
This yet is time-constrained. You are seeing the Almanac as 'written' and it is, in the future. While we say 'from before the world began' such is from God's perspective, not ours. When we read books or watch movies, the end it already done but 'we' don't know it until the end. There are books that allow you to choose your own ending BUT that ending is already written. Again, the issue is we import a static from past/present/future when we try to view one or the other and, as I said, even our language convolutes/mixes the three. It is odd because our physical universe has us perceiving unidirectional time as inescapable, but past/present/future, as given even in thread, does not work that way, we just think and often insist that it does, but it does not. The very fact you can 'think' from all three perspectives without adequately describing it with verbs show that they are not static nor unidirectional.
Apparently not, since God ascribes willfulness to the clay.
[Jer 18:4 KJV] And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make [it].
🤔 Not having a VeggieTales moment: the clay isn't willful in that passage. Are you this hung up on analogies? Think of something else and let Legos go. My point was that you are being nitpicky. I know of no analogy that doesn't break down. If you go to the absurd instead of the intended point, you are changing the conversation. While I acquiesce that a Lego isn't 'human' (as if I or you needed to say that in conversation), the point was that there are only so many ways to put Legos together. Here, let me cut to the chase: Do you believe God's Omnicompetence (Open Theist term) 'can' anticipate all options? "Yes" everyone of you say. "Then," I say, "I believe God's Omnicompetence is much much much much better than your particular imagination of what is possible" (trying to use Open Theism's argument to get you to see what I'm seeing).
[Gal 5:22-23 NKJV] 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

I don't doubt that these attributes were available to Adam and Eve in the Garden.

A condition is set that is in the power of the one to meet or not meet. They are not controlled from the outside to make sure they meet or don't meet the condition. That's what self-governance is about. That's what was going on (or not) in the garden.
So the question then: If you are 'somewhat' connected, then aren't you only 'somewhat' free by extension? My point: I don't believe (haven't for a long time) that 'free' will is anywhere near an accurate descriptor. We are 'somewhat' autonomous. Romans 12:5

1 Corinthians 6:19-20

And so should you be willing to give verses for those assertions that are speculative, if you use them to say someone else is wrong.
▲ I believe the above addresses my concern▲ we are 'responsible' which implies both connection and autonomy to the degree we aren't quite free (thus imo a huge misnomer), nor bound. It is important because I've seen many freewill theists before I ever heard of Open Theists, say God gave them 'free' will. It is an inaccuracy.
What that means, imo, is that when you have scriptural warning flags go off, you give those scriptures and we can talk about them. When you ask for scriptures, and I give them, we can talk about them. When I ask for scriptures, and you say they aren't necessary, we can't talk about them.
Will file this away for now, it isn't germane at this venture ( I give a lot of scripture, more than most on TOL).
It doesn't fit reality because you are a closet open theist.
And I believe God has EDF? I thought disqualified me?
Yet, where do we get our metaphysical descriptions of God? From scripture. So let's use it.
Goes both ways. 1 John 3:20 Remember Romans 9? Jeremiah? Paying attention? Scriptures, no?
But you haven't shown what "atemporal" is beyond your own opinion.
Says the guy who admitted to not reading any link I posted twice now (once again at the end of this post!)
Again, where do we find such explanations in the bible? Are we merely having a philosophical discussion?
John 8:58 Hebrews 4:13 Revelation 1:8
I think a new creation can. In Revelation 20, there are many that have been resurrected. These are new creations, as far as I can tell (this goes back to what death and resurrection mean, from one of my threads on the topic). If they are new creations, ones that are incorruptible (death has no more dominion over them, because death and Hades have been thrown into the lake of fire), and they are thrown into the lake of fire, isn't because they have rejected the true source of their salvation?
I believe this is leaving the topic (Future interaction) but are you saying you believe New Creations can be lost? Unsaved? I'm not getting the full context of your paragraph and question.
I'm not understanding your question. Fully means without reserve, but it's still only actionable on what is, not what isn't. "Fully everyone in the world" includes everyone living in the world right now, not someone who might live in 2050 or someone who might have lived in 1850. So it depends on what is meant (context).
Fair enough, but 'fully' has a 'full' meaning. Once we qualify it, is is actually 'full' or 'mostly full?'
Why should any do so? Give us scripture.
A day as a thousand years? Declaring the end from the beginning? Before Abraham was, I Am....
It is like a metaphor. ;)
"Like" is a simile. A metaphor is a stronger comparison.
Did John experience the future in seeing the beast, or was he "shown" something about the future?
Obviously interacting. Revelation 4:1 "What things must come to pass..." is implicit in the text. Revelation 5:4,5
Good. Now you are admitting that God, in His heaven, is subject to time, since John was "up here", but not yet viewing anything on the earth yet.
Define 'subject.' I've maintained consistently and clearly: God is relational to, yet apart, from time. Why? Because time is a property of created things and every instance of it borrows from what is created, often physical: in observation.
So why do you imagine God's atemporality? Are you adding, or taking away?
Because He says He 'is' the Beginning and the End Revelation 1:11 He says Before Abraham 'was' I 'Am.' John 5:58
God doesn't go back in time.
Assertion. It isn't that He 'goes back' but John 8:58 is clear that 'am' exist in 'was.' How? Scripture will only take you so far, thus models, math, and Einstein can help but 'just the Bible' and you are searching a thing out.
I think I've made that clear. I expect His is the absolutest of timeframes.
Not to me, certainly. John 8:58 He cannot have the name without also having the property of that name. John 8:58 if true in every sense of the revelation God has given us.
Einstein's relativity imagines everyone has their own timeframe, but no one can go back in his own.
You do it all the time. You relive your past all the time. You try to affect what happened in the past as in "As far as it depends on you, live at peace with all men." You have to go into the past to do so. There is no other way.
With God all things are possible, so even the impossible is doable. So it doesn't really matter if we can figure out a way for it to work, there are some things we think are doable, but God doesn't do them (for whatever reason). And we shouldn't suppose that because we can think of them God does them or even causes a like effect.
I'm sure you are thinking of things God 'wouldn't do. We are talking about things within His character that He 'can' do. The point isn't lost. You asked me to prove something and your admission means we crossed that bridge: God can do temporal things we cannot, which means time, if/when it applies to God, is not the obstacle or constraint it is for us.
Agreed. There is no such thing as an almanac from the future. It isn't possible. (btw, I think you probably mean a history book about future events rather than an almanac, as an almanac is mostly prediction of future events).
:nono:
And others choices who maybe haven't even been born.

Which should come from a reliable source. Our sources here on earth are mostly unreliable. We can't study the future, but we can study the past and make projections from what we learn. We can study the Bible and extrapolate, but we should recognize the difference between biblical truth and extrapolation.
And future revelation...like Revelation(s).
No, the paradox comes from imagining time as not unidirectional.
It isn't imagined. Time much more fluid than you imagine. Are you talking to me now? Seems like, no? You will say unfairly 'no' but you are interacting with me 'now' from my past. Time. Is. Fluid. with these concepts. We want to say time is a concrete thing like unidirectional, but when you are involved, you are in fluidity where the past/present/and future collide. To a degree, the past can be easier to pinpoint, but not always nor consistently. Whenever the goalpost moves, it is fluid-moving.
Hardly.

Our posting past becomes solid when we hit "post".
Er, you and I just proved that wasn't true the post before. I deleted it o_O Your 'hardly' needs to become 'this is hard, but I need to study this a bit' and you do.
David was. [2Sa 12:22 KJV] 22 And he said, While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept: for I said, Who can tell [whether] GOD will be gracious to me, that the child may live?

Why do you think these things are exclusive? Cannot God make sure His will is done in a matter without foreordaining everything else?
Has nothing to do with what I imagine or envision but from revelation (not just Revelation, all of God's Word). It isn't that I don't want or want God to be foreordaining. He simply is. 1 Peter 1:20 Romans 8:29 While we can discuss the scope of foreordination, I'd not think we'd debate it is a Biblical term. I'm not the one who has a problem with foreordination. My theology doesn't depend on God having no idea, making mistakes, or being constrained by unidirectional time.

All of these scriptures in this post, btw, are some of many that have a wall between I and Open Theism. Revelation is a vision of the future with John interacting with other beings, not just God showing him a movie. John was there. John was asking questions. John was 'taken' to 'where these things must come to pass' and gave it, from God, with strict instructions about whoever adds or subtracts. The force of it takes a casual approach to interpretation as out-of-place with the immediacy of 'what must come to pass' and John interacting with the beings thereof. I'm not adding, I'm reading, not 'into' it. From it. "Come up." Seems clear to me.
Good. We agree. Let's just call it "settled theism":
https://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/ordain
"properly: to set"

I'll try to read it sometime.

Lon

Which letters still need some work? Maybe we need a thread to discuss TULIP again. So far, you've agreed that the L and the I are caveated, at least. Most Calvinists have leaned away from Total Depravity toward Total Inability, so that one's caveated for us.
:nono: Caveated isn't moved away. They are trying to explain what they believe, not move from it. Total inability is total depravity doctrine. They haven't moved away from it at all. You'll always see Romans 3:10-12 Isaiah 64:6 supporting total depravity. For the most part, I'm 100% on page with Calvinists here.
Perseverance of the Saints can only be understood in light of the others, so it will follow what we decide on the others.
Not following.
What's left? Unconditional Election? The bible is full of conditions for salvation, like "Believe" and possibly "be baptized"

Not what they mean. They mean that God places no conditions on you for you to be saved. You don't have to do something to clean yourself up nor can you have done something to keep from Grace, therefore, as the argument: "There are no conditions you have to meet, the Lord Jesus Christ has met them!"
Persevering to the end is seen as a condition by some, too, at least for some.
Not following. That we have to persevere to be saved? Rather this is saying because we are 'in Christ' as new creations, new creations will do what their new nature prompts. 1 John 2:19 says those who left were never a part (yet old creations) in the first place.

I'd reckon this is a cart before horse need: We persevere and are kept because we are saved with new natures "the old has passed away, the new has come." Some say 'once saved always saved.' My only caution is that we are careful to help unbelievers. We've had atheists on this website that have said they were saved Christians and get mad and invoke 'no-true-scotsman!' I don't make the rules, God does. There is no such thing as a 'former Christian.'
Is there anything left?
Limited Atonement?
And can we use this to understand better what "omniscience" means? If the whole of TULIP needs to be caveated to be understood,
Explained may be a better word than caveated which means 'qualified.'
why wouldn't that be true of the attributes of God?
These are different, they are from scripture. Rather, we want context. When Peter said to Jesus, "you know all things" he could have meant it literally, or in specific connection to knowlege of "Do you love Me?" to mean specifically all of Peter's thoughts and emotions. echoing Psalm 139:1-24
We want to understand what God tells us about Himself before we implant ideas in our minds about what a god or The God really is like.
Scripture ftw.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Which letters still need some work? Maybe we need a thread to discuss TULIP again. So far, you've agreed that the L and the I are caveated, at least. Most Calvinists have leaned away from Total Depravity toward Total Inability, so that one's caveated for us. Perseverance of the Saints can only be understood in light of the others, so it will follow what we decide on the others. What's left? Unconditional Election? The bible is full of conditions for salvation, like "Believe" and possibly "be baptized" (Please, MAD'ers, I'm merely making the condition point, not arguing for or against--at least it was "required" for some, right?). Persevering to the end is seen as a condition by some, too, at least for some.

Is there anything left?

And can we use this to understand better what "omniscience" means? If the whole of TULIP needs to be caveated to be understood, why wouldn't that be true of the attributes of God? We want to understand what God tells us about Himself before we implant ideas in our minds about what a god or The God really is like.
This is a very good post that goes a long way towards basically saying outright something that I've noticed for years. That being the fact that most regular people don't actually believe hardly any of the five points of Calvinism. They think they do but the fact is that they don't really understand what they mean and when they discover what they mean, they often have an instinctive repulsion against them.

Take unconditional election, for example. Most regular folks believe this to be the equivalent of saying that we cannot earn our salvation, which practically every Christian agrees with. In other words, if that's actually what it meant then it wouldn't serve as a Calvinist distinctive doctrine. The fact that we cannot earn our salvation is included in the Calvinist doctrine of unconditional election but that isn't the whole or even the primary point of it. Unconditional election is the idea that God elected certain people to be saved FOR NO REASON AT ALL. For "unconditional" read "arbitrary" and for "election" read "salvation".

Some people think that I'm exaggerating things when I tell them this, especially if they attend a Calvinist church (like most Southern Baptists churches, for example), but I'm totally not!
“God is moved to mercy for no other reason but that he wills to be merciful.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 22, Paragraph 8)​
“Therefore, those whom God passes over, he condemns; and this he does for no other reason than that he wills to exclude them from the inheritance which he predestines for his own children.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 23, Paragraph 1)​
“We cannot assign any reason for his bestowing mercy on his people, but just as it so pleases him, neither can we have any reason for his reprobating others but his will.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 22, Paragraph 11)​

Years ago, when I still lived in Tulsa, Oklahoma, I was talking with an acquaintance in a Sunday school class at Tulsa Bible Church, who simply refused to believe me when I told him that this is what Unconditional Election meant and so I told him to ask the pastor. He did so, and was stunned to learn that the pastor not only acknowledged it but told him that it was part and parcel of the gospel itself, (which even surprised me at the time). The pastor actually told him that this is what the term "grace" means! So, this pastor actually believes that to be "saved by grace" means to have won the cosmic lottery! Amazing! What's more amazing is that someone could be a long term attendee/member of this church and not know that this is what the church officially believes and teaches!

The point here being that the five points of Calvinism are actually quite a lot more radical than a lot of Calvinists know or care to think about. That's a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. It's good because it means that there aren't as many people who actually believe this blasphemous nonsense as it might seem like, and it's bad because most Christians don't put very much effort at all into understanding either the bible or what their church actually teaches and are really just attending church for the sake of the social interactions.

Lon

The point here being that the five points of Calvinism are actually quite a lot more radical than a lot of Calvinists know or care to think about. That's a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. It's good because it means that there aren't as many people who actually believe this blasphemous nonsense as it might seem like, and it's bad because most Christians don't put very much effort at all into understanding either the bible or what their church actually teaches and are really just attending church for the sake of the social interactions.
Question: Does one have to agree with every point of John Calvin to be 'Calvinist?' While the particular parishioner was surprised, many who actually have read Calvin and know theology, wouldn't be surprised they disagree on any particular. For the Calvinist: Foreordination and Predestination and other scriptural given terms related to God's sovereignty generally look to God as preeminent and man but creation, involved but subservient clay in God's hands. John 3:16 is a huge doctrinal verse and so I've been mostly Amyraldian without the Catholic. a bit Covenant and a bit Dispensational most of my life, called Calvinist and Open Theist of all things among other monikers, at various times.

Derf

This is a very good post that goes a long way towards basically saying outright something that I've noticed for years. That being the fact that most regular people don't actually believe hardly any of the five points of Calvinism. They think they do but the fact is that they don't really understand what they mean and when they discover what they mean, they often have an instinctive repulsion against them.

Take unconditional election, for example. Most regular folks believe this to be the equivalent of saying that we cannot earn our salvation, which practically every Christian agrees with. In other words, if that's actually what it meant then it wouldn't serve as a Calvinist distinctive doctrine. The fact that we cannot earn our salvation is included in the Calvinist doctrine of unconditional election but that isn't the whole or even the primary point of it. Unconditional election is the idea that God elected certain people to be saved FOR NO REASON AT ALL. For "unconditional" read "arbitrary" and for "election" read "salvation".

Some people think that I'm exaggerating things when I tell them this, especially if they attend a Calvinist church (like most Southern Baptists churches, for example), but I'm totally not!
“God is moved to mercy for no other reason but that he wills to be merciful.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 22, Paragraph 8)​
“Therefore, those whom God passes over, he condemns; and this he does for no other reason than that he wills to exclude them from the inheritance which he predestines for his own children.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 23, Paragraph 1)​
“We cannot assign any reason for his bestowing mercy on his people, but just as it so pleases him, neither can we have any reason for his reprobating others but his will.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 22, Paragraph 11)​

Years ago, when I still lived in Tulsa, Oklahoma, I was talking with an acquaintance in a Sunday school class at Tulsa Bible Church, who simply refused to believe me when I told him that this is what Unconditional Election meant and so I told him to ask the pastor. He did so, and was stunned to learn that the pastor not only acknowledged it but told him that it was part and parcel of the gospel itself, (which even surprised me at the time). The pastor actually told him that this is what the term "grace" means! So, this pastor actually believes that to be "saved by grace" means to have won the cosmic lottery! Amazing! What's more amazing is that someone could be a long term attendee/member of this church and not know that this is what the church officially believes and teaches!

I grew up in Southern Baptist Churches, and my dad was a pastor. He was definitely not a Calvinist. I recently visited a Southern Baptist church where the preacher said, "If you're coming to this church to try to persuade us of Calvinism, you need to leave." But there are definitely some around.

Derf

Question: Does one have to agree with every point of John Calvin to be 'Calvinist?' While the particular parishioner was surprised, many who actually have read Calvin and know theology, wouldn't be surprised they disagree on any particular. For the Calvinist: Foreordination and Predestination and other scriptural given terms related to God's sovereignty generally look to God as preeminent and man but creation, involved but subservient clay in God's hands. John 3:16 is a huge doctrinal verse and so I've been mostly Amyraldian without the Catholic. a bit Covenant and a bit Dispensational most of my life then Calvinist and Open Theist of all things, at various times.
Can we turn the question around? What things do you think make one a Calvinist? To me, the answer is in TULIP. If you agree with all 5 points, you're a Calvinist, but if you caveat them all away from what Calvin taught, you're not. But the most important single thing is that certain people are predestined from the foundation of the earth to be saved without regard to what they themselves will decide later.

Lon

I grew up in Southern Baptist Churches, and my dad was a pastor. He was definitely not a Calvinist. I recently visited a Southern Baptist church where the preacher said, "If you're coming to this church to try to persuade us of Calvinism, you need to leave." But there are definitely some around.
Southern Baptists are an eclectic group because they are independent and follow the theology of their local pastor and at times, the elders. In the SBC you'll find Open Theists, Calvinists, Charismatics, Snake-handers etc. etc.

Lon

Can we turn the question around? What things do you think make one a Calvinist? To me, the answer is in TULIP. If you agree with all 5 points, you're a Calvinist, but if you caveat them all away from what Calvin taught, you're not. But the most important single thing is that certain people are predestined from the foundation of the earth to be saved without regard to what they themselves will decide later.
That is a good question too, but one may say "I disagree with Calvin on any number of points yet am a Calvinist." If as I'm reading Clete, you cannot be a Calvinist if you disagree with Calvin, then there would be few actual Calvinists indeed. I believe I agree with you, that even if one doesn't know or is surprised by Calvin's thoughts*, if you hold to TULIP, you might just be a Calvinist. I do, for instance, believe Atonement is limited to whoever will become a believer. His sacrifice condemns those without Him, by the same token John 3:18 thus it is limited, but different than the way Calvinism means. That too might be a dis-qualifier, even with somewhat agreeing with all 5 points on some level, I'd think.

*I find it very hard to quote Calvin without context because he made such stark statements as Clete has given. When I go and look, often enough I understand the 'audacious' comment in a larger context where the comment is 'qualified' so I have to dig to find what Calvin actually believed at times.

Derf

Southern Baptists are an eclectic group because they are independent and follow the theology of their local pastor and at times, the elders. In the SBC you'll find Open Theists, Calvinists, Charismatics, Snake-handers etc. etc.
yeah, I hate giving the right hand of fellowship to those "Snake-handers".

Derf

That is a good question too, but one may say "I disagree with Calvin on any number of points yet am a Calvinist." If as I'm reading Clete, you cannot be a Calvinist if you disagree with Calvin, then there would be few actual Calvinists indeed. I believe I agree with you, that even if one doesn't know or is surprised by Calvin's thoughts*, if you hold to TULIP, you might just be a Calvinist. I do, for instance, believe Atonement is limited to whoever will become a believer. His sacrifice condemns those without Him, by the same token John 3:18 thus it is limited, but different than the way Calvinism means. That too might be a dis-qualifier, even with somewhat agreeing with all 5 points on some level, I'd think.

*I find it very hard to quote Calvin without context because he made such stark statements as Clete has given. When I go and look, often enough I understand the 'audacious' comment in a larger context where the comment is 'qualified' so I have to dig to find what Calvin actually believed at times.
Understanding Calvin's context is important, no doubt. That's why I pointed to John Piper. He explains things well and patiently, but when it comes down to it, If your theology has God deciding both what you will do with the gospel and what your punishment will be for doing it, it doesn't paint God as just, even if you follow up with the words "God is just." And I think that's the main point of being a Calvinist.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Yes, Southern Baptist does not equal Calvinist, that's definitely true. There is a growing segment of the denomination that is Calvinist, however. I attended one near Tulsa that was "officially" Calvinist, although they more or less avoided talking about controversial issues like predestination. They tolerated those who weren't Calvinists without any issues that I'm aware of and I found it to be quite tolerable to attend. There was the occasional Sunday School class that mentioned Calvinist doctrine and I remember a very few times detecting some flavor of Calvinism in the pastor's presentation of the gospel during his sermons but it was nothing like Tulsa Bible Church which was just totally in the tank for Calvinism and ended up more or less kicking me out of their Sunday School class for having quoted Jeremiah 19:5 out loud during class.

In other words, it was not my intention to paint Southern Baptists with a broad Calvinist brush. All Southern Baptists Churches are quite free to teach pretty much anything that they want and only about ten percent of SBC churches consider themselves to be five point Calvinist. There is, however, about 30% of seminary students who consider themselves to be five point Calvinists and so it is clearly a growing segment of those churches.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
That is a good question too, but one may say "I disagree with Calvin on any number of points yet am a Calvinist." If as I'm reading Clete, you cannot be a Calvinist if you disagree with Calvin, then there would be few actual Calvinists indeed.
You seem incapable of reading me at all. What could I possibly have written that would lead you to make such a conclusion?

I consider any Non-Catholic Christian who believes either that God predestined everything or is in control of all that happens, to be a Calvinist, whether they call themselves that or not. The degree to which they disagree on this or that detail is the degree to which they are either ignorant or stupid and have failed to think through the implications of their doctrines and to understand how they are interconnected.

I believe I agree with you, that even if one doesn't know or is surprised by Calvin's thoughts*, if you hold to TULIP, you might just be a Calvinist.
Might?

Is there anything that you are willing to make an emphatic statement about?

I do, for instance, believe Atonement is limited to whoever will become a believer. His sacrifice condemns those without Him, by the same token John 3:18 thus it is limited, but different than the way Calvinism means.
That different way being a completely meaningless way since the implication here being that there is no preset limit to the number of people included in "whoever will become a believer" as the term "Limited Atonement" specifically means.

That too might be a dis-qualifier, even with somewhat agreeing with all 5 points on some level, I'd think.
No it isn't a disqualifier except maybe in academic circles. Normal people do not sit around hashing this stuff out like we do here on TOL and it makes no sense to start discussing things as though we are lawyers making arguments in a court. In the general population, the dividing line has to do with whether you believe we have a free will or not. If not, then you're going to be one flavor or another of Calvinist in a overwhelming majority of cases. The same goes for doctrines surrounding any form of "fate". If you go around thinking that God has a specific plan for everyone's life and that there was a reason that God had your daughter's dog die the weekend of her birthday and if you sit around wondering what God's reason was for having your neighbor's Grandmother burn to death in a house fire or any other such thing, then you are a Calvinist, whether you know or acknowledge it or not.

Lon, I read less than 10% of what you write and I start to get close to taking you off ignore and then you post a lie like this. This was a flat out lie!

Do you think that this forum is the only place I've presented those quotes from Calvin? It isn't! I've asked literally dozens of Calvinists both on internet forums and in person whether they agree with some or all of a whole list of such quotes and I have yet to find a single person who calls himself a Calvinist who disagreed with any of them at all. There are plenty of people who disagree with them but none who self-identifiy as Calvinists. I don't even have to tell them that its a quote from Calvin. I just read the quote without mentioning Calvin or "Institutes" and sometimes I'll paraphrase the quote and intentionally put it in terms that are intended to make it sound radical and I still haven't found a single Calvinist who ever even wanted to "qualify" a single one of them. Arguments about justice and God's righteous character have no impact, comparing God to the arsonist who sets your house on fire and then comes to rescue you but arbitrarly leaves your wife and kids to die in the flames has no impact. They do not care about such consideration and blow all such objections off as "human reasoning".

So, tell us Lon, where have any of the quotes I've presented been "qualified" by Calvin. I've presented the precise referrence where the quations are located in his writings. Please, by all means, show us were Calvin softened his doctrines in these areas!

You won't do it because it cannot be done because no such "qualifying" exists. In fact, to my memory, you are the only person I've ever encountered that even made such a claim. I believe you knew it was false when you made it. You aught to be ashamed of yourself.

Derf

@Lon
I reread my post and have to qualify, based on conversations I've had with Calvinists. It's not "without regard to what they themselves will decide later", but "God has already decided what they will decide later." This may sound like a caricature, but it something most Calvinists will readily admit.

Derf

What do you all think about this passage:

2 Kings 8:7-15 KJV — And Elisha came to Damascus; and Benhadad the king of Syria was sick; and it was told him, saying, The man of God is come hither. And the king said unto Hazael, Take a present in thine hand, and go, meet the man of God, and enquire of the LORD by him, saying, Shall I recover of this disease? So Hazael went to meet him, and took a present with him, even of every good thing of Damascus, forty camels' burden, and came and stood before him, and said, Thy son Benhadad king of Syria hath sent me to thee, saying, Shall I recover of this disease? And Elisha said unto him, Go, say unto him, Thou mayest certainly recover: howbeit the LORD hath shewed me that he shall surely die. And he settled his countenance stedfastly, until he was ashamed: and the man of God wept. And Hazael said, Why weepeth my lord? And he answered, Because I know the evil that thou wilt do unto the children of Israel: their strong holds wilt thou set on fire, and their young men wilt thou slay with the sword, and wilt dash their children, and rip up their women with child. And Hazael said, But what, is thy servant a dog, that he should do this great thing? And Elisha answered, The LORD hath shewed me that thou shalt be king over Syria. So he departed from Elisha, and came to his master; who said to him, What said Elisha to thee? And he answered, He told me that thou shouldest surely recover. And it came to pass on the morrow, that he took a thick cloth, and dipped it in water, and spread it on his face, so that he died: and Hazael reigned in his stead.

God seems to be saying Benhadad would recover, if allowed to live. He also seemed to know Hazael's heart, that he was looking for an opportunity to usurp the throne. Do you think, though, that God was spurring Hazael to assassinate the king in order to pester the Israeli test more?

Was Elisha telling Hazael to lie to the king, because he knew Hazael would kill him? Or was the wording such that it was truth, as long as Hazael didn't kill him too soon?

This one appears to be a conditional prophecy, but not to get Benhadad to repent, but to spur Hazael to do evil.