Odd Battles that Fundamentalists pick

badp

Irony meter hit a new high. I said death is good so that life can be sustained.

Do you honestly know what absolutism is? Becayse my statement is literally the opposite of it

Do you know what logic is? I'm using it to follow your train of thought.

Here's what you have said:
Sustaining life is good,
Death helps sustains life,
Therefore death is good.

Those are absolute statements. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying you're in denial about being an absolutist.

Greg Jennings

Do you know what logic is? I'm using it to follow your train of thought.

Here's what you have said:
Sustaining life is good,
Death helps sustains life,
Therefore death is good.

Those are absolute statements. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying you're in denial about being an absolutist.

You can't be serious. An absolute statement would be, "death is good," with no context around it. However, I put a ton of context around it that you choose to ignore for reasons unbeknownst to me. Context is part of that gray area I was telling you about.

Saying death is good so that life can survive is a statement attached to a qualifier. It deals with individual death occurring so that all life can go on.

Only an absolutist would think that individual life and all life are the same, as you do. Here is a truly absolutist statement from me: the death of all life or of an entire species is bad

badp

For the same reason I gave before: we are living beings and cherish life. No human wants to see all of life disappear. That's why conservation groups exist

Why does human opinion matter? That's very subjective. If humans are just a cosmic accident, why is it so bad if they all disappear?

Greg Jennings

Why does human opinion matter? That's very subjective. If humans are just a cosmic accident, why is it so bad if they all disappear?

I'm a human. I can only be so objective. I can't speak for the universe itself.

That being said, some have proposed that perhaps the purpose of the universe is to create life in an attempt to eventually give rise to an organism capable of understanding it. Basically the universe is trying to figure itself out, and uses life as the method to do so. It's interesting, but obviously pure speculation

badp

I'm a human. I can only be so objective. I can't speak for the universe itself.

That being said, some have proposed that perhaps the purpose of the universe is to create life in an attempt to eventually give rise to an organism capable of understanding it. Basically the universe is trying to figure itself out, and uses life as the method to do so. It's interesting, but obviously pure speculation

Sounds eerily similar to pantheism.