No Death Penalty. What Is Your Position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Brain

nope, that's not there either

you're listing sins that would not have been recognized as such by the pharisees and scribes of first century palestine

you're listing catholic sins (and by extension protestant)

So? Was Lust, greed, coveting, etc not recognised as "sin" as well? Doesn't alter the point.

Arthur Brain

i interpret it as "one specific sin"

you interpret it as "any sin, ever" which opens a whole can of worms that you'd rather avoid

for example:

There's no need for interpretation whatsoever. It's clear, right there in black and white. It says "without sin", not "without a certain sin". You don't think Jesus would have stipulated that if that's what He meant?

You're the one trying to interpret a verse that is clear as it is.

:AMR:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
It says "without sin", not "without a certain sin".

now you're talking about the catholic concept of original sin

I'm not sure that the scribes and pharisees of first century palestine held that belief

[MENTION=16942]JudgeRightly[/MENTION]?
[MENTION=15338]Right Divider[/MENTION]?

how about you [MENTION=5868]chair[/MENTION]?

ok doser

Hardly, you're adding something to the verse that isn't there.

rather, you're taking it as a universal while i see it as a specific

and understandably, dodging this:
the way you are interpreting the verse, artie, would negate the Law by imposing requirements on its enforcement that would be impossible to meet

did Jesus come to negate the Law by making it unenforceable?

Arthur Brain

now you're talking about the catholic concept of original sin

I'm not sure that the scribes and pharisees of first century palestine held that belief
[MENTION=16942]JudgeRightly[/MENTION]?
[MENTION=15338]Right Divider[/MENTION]?

how about you [MENTION=5868]chair[/MENTION]?

Well, no. I'm simply reading the verse for what it says whereas you're trying to add something that isn't there. If Jesus meant to say "He who is without a sin or a certain sin" then that's not as recorded in any translation that I'm aware of.

It says what it says and this is getting more and more reaching on your part.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Well, no. I'm simply reading the verse for what it says whereas you're trying to add something that isn't there. If Jesus meant to say "He who is without a sin or a certain sin" then that's not as recorded in any translation that I'm aware of.

It says what it says and this is getting more and more reaching on your part.
Arty, what did Jesus teach in Matthew 7:1-5?

Do you remember? Do you know?

Arthur Brain

rather, you're taking it as a universal while i see it as a specific

and understandably, dodging this:

I'm taking it simply for what it says and I'm not dodging anything. I reckon that Jesus would have done the same with any self righteous mob and any woman caught in the same at any time. Doing away with bludgeoning people to death isn't the same as doing away with law.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Yes, what's your point? It fits right in with the first part of your username although you'll have to explain the relevance.
Oh, and leave the personal jabs out of your arguments please.

ok doser

Well, no. I'm simply reading the verse for what it says...

but not in the context of those to whom He was speaking - the scribes and pharisees would not have recognized themselves as being sinful in general (the catholic concept of original sin) - they believed that they led sinless lives by their adherence to the Law, by their meticulous following of every single one of those 613 laws which they would have known by heart, by their formulaic sacrifices on the altar

Arthur Brain

If it were clear, you wouldn't be so evasive in answering the question.

Arty, What did Jesus teach in Matthew 7:1-5? Please answer the question.

What isn't clear about it? If you're going to judge people or matters then be careful as to how you're doing it lest you be a hypocrite. Well, guess what, we're all the latter to some degree and you do not always "judge rightly" yourself. So, what was the point of this in relation to the topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.