My First Interesting Interaction With ChatGPT

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I've not delved much at all into ChatGPT and the little bit I have has been rather uninteresting really. This morning, I woke up early and couldn't go back to sleep and so decided to ask ChatGPT what the word Logos meant. Here's the results....

Clete:
What is the best English translation for the Greek word logos?​
ChatGPT:​
The best English translation for the Greek word "logos" is often interpreted as "word," "speech," or "reason," depending on the context.​
Clete:
What would Ancient Greek speaking people have understood “logos” to mean in the context of the first few verses of the New Testament book of John?​
In the context of the first few verses of the New Testament book of John, Ancient Greek-speaking people would likely have understood "logos" to convey the concept of divine, creative, and ordering principle. In this context, "logos" is used to describe a transcendent force through which the universe and all things were created.​
Clete:
In that case, what would be the best translation of John 1:1-14?​
A commonly accepted translation of John 1:1-14, emphasizing the concept of "logos" as the divine, creative Word, is:​
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him, all things were made; without him, nothing was made that has been made."​
This translation reflects the theological significance of "logos" in the context of John 1:1-14.​
Clete:
Then why use “word” as the translation for “logos”?​
The translation of "logos" as "Word" in the context of John 1:1-14 is a choice made by translators to capture the multifaceted meaning of the Greek term. While "word" is a part of it, in this context, "Word" is chosen to convey a broader sense of a divine, creative, and communicative principle. It's an attempt to express the idea that the "Logos" is not just a spoken word but also embodies divine reason, communication, and creative power. The choice of "Word" is a translation compromise to encompass the rich and complex meaning implied by "logos" in this particular context.​
Clete:
But “word” doesn’t mean any of that in English.​
You're correct that the English word "word" doesn't fully capture the depth of meaning associated with "logos" in its ancient Greek philosophical and theological context. The translation choice of "Word" in John 1:1-14 is, indeed, an interpretation aiming to convey a broader, more abstract concept that includes elements of divine reason and creative principle. It's a challenge to find a single English word that precisely mirrors the nuanced meaning of "logos" in this context. Translators often make such choices to convey the essence of the original text, even if a direct linguistic equivalent is not available in the target language.​
Clete:
Why wouldn’t the English word “reason” or “logic” be a superior translation of “logos” than “word”?​
The English words "reason" or "logic" could be considered more precise translations of the philosophical aspect of "logos" in certain contexts. However, in the case of John 1:1-14, the choice of "Word" as a translation aims to capture a broader theological and creative aspect of "logos." The decision to use "Word" is influenced by the historical tradition of translating "logos" in this specific biblical passage.​
"Word" is a somewhat flexible term in English and can encompass aspects of communication, expression, and manifestation, which align with the theological implications in John's Gospel. While "reason" or "logic" may capture some dimensions of "logos," they might not fully convey the broader sense of divine communication and creative principle that the term carries in this specific biblical context. Translation involves a balance between precision and conveying the intended meaning within the cultural and historical context.​
Clete:
In what way does “word” accomplish this balance when “word” isn’t ever used in this way by English speakers except in this particular passage?​
The use of "Word" in translating "logos" for John 1:1-14 is indeed a unique and somewhat specialized choice in English. It is an attempt to convey the complex and multifaceted meaning of "logos" in the context of the passage, where "logos" is seen not just as a spoken word but as a divine, creative, and communicative principle.​
While "Word" may not be a common term for expressing divine concepts in everyday English, the choice is often influenced by the historical and theological traditions associated with this specific biblical passage. Over time, this translation has become conventionalized and is accepted within religious communities. The challenge lies in finding a single English word that encapsulates the full breadth of meaning carried by "logos" in this particular religious and philosophical context.​
Clete:
It seems to me to be a rather poor translation and that “divine reason” would be far superior, just as your own description of the ancient meaning of “logos” would suggest.​
Your perspective is valid, and indeed, different translators may make different choices based on their interpretation and the nuances they want to emphasize. "Divine reason" could indeed be seen as a more precise translation, aligning closely with the philosophical and theological aspects of "logos" in the context of John 1:1-14.​
Translation often involves a balance between precision and maintaining a connection with the cultural and historical traditions associated with a text. Preferences can vary among scholars, religious communities, and readers. Your preference for "divine reason" reflects a desire for a translation that closely aligns with the nuanced meaning of "logos" in this specific context.​
Clete:
If tradition is the reason “word” is used today, what reason would the translators of the King James Bible have had for using “word” over more directly accurate alternatives like “reason” or “divine reason” since "word" wasn’t a traditional translation at that time?​
The translators of the King James Bible, completed in 1611, made their choices based on the linguistic and theological understandings of their time. In the case of translating "logos" in John 1:1-14, they opted for the term "Word" to convey a sense of divine communication, creative power, and manifestation. The choice was not solely based on a historical tradition but also on the understanding of the theological implications of the term.​
In the early 17th century, "Word" was a word that encompassed a range of meanings, including expression, manifestation, and communication. The translators aimed to convey the idea that "logos" represented not only divine reason but also a dynamic, creative force through which God communicated and brought about creation. It was a choice influenced by the theological perspectives and linguistic conventions of the time.​
The thing that stood out to me in this exchange was how ChatGPT accepts both the historical and theological traditions of the translators as a good reason to use "word" as a proper translation. Essentially saying that since "word" was used in the King James Bible and we've been using that for 400 years, therefore "word" is a valid translation. I would have to say that this is no more or less flimsy of a reason for the use of the term "word" as any real person has ever given me.

I have no objective means by which to evaluate what ChatGPT said about the reasons for the choice that translators of the KJV made, but it comes off as the computer just spitting out a different version of the same answer it had already given me.

Gary K

Banned
I've not delved much at all into ChatGPT and the little bit I have has been rather uninteresting really. This morning, I woke up early and couldn't go back to sleep and so decided to ask ChatGPT what the word Logos meant. Here's the results....

Clete:​
The best English translation for the Greek word "logos" is often interpreted as "word," "speech," or "reason," depending on the context.​
What would Ancient Greek speaking people have understood “logos” to mean in the context of the first few verses of the New Testament book of John?​
In the context of the first few verses of the New Testament book of John, Ancient Greek-speaking people would likely have understood "logos" to convey the concept of divine, creative, and ordering principle. In this context, "logos" is used to describe a transcendent force through which the universe and all things were created.​
A commonly accepted translation of John 1:1-14, emphasizing the concept of "logos" as the divine, creative Word, is:​
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him, all things were made; without him, nothing was made that has been made."​
This translation reflects the theological significance of "logos" in the context of John 1:1-14.​
The translation of "logos" as "Word" in the context of John 1:1-14 is a choice made by translators to capture the multifaceted meaning of the Greek term. While "word" is a part of it, in this context, "Word" is chosen to convey a broader sense of a divine, creative, and communicative principle. It's an attempt to express the idea that the "Logos" is not just a spoken word but also embodies divine reason, communication, and creative power. The choice of "Word" is a translation compromise to encompass the rich and complex meaning implied by "logos" in this particular context.​
You're correct that the English word "word" doesn't fully capture the depth of meaning associated with "logos" in its ancient Greek philosophical and theological context. The translation choice of "Word" in John 1:1-14 is, indeed, an interpretation aiming to convey a broader, more abstract concept that includes elements of divine reason and creative principle. It's a challenge to find a single English word that precisely mirrors the nuanced meaning of "logos" in this context. Translators often make such choices to convey the essence of the original text, even if a direct linguistic equivalent is not available in the target language.​
Why wouldn’t the English word “reason” or “logic” be a superior translation of “logos” than “word”?​
The English words "reason" or "logic" could be considered more precise translations of the philosophical aspect of "logos" in certain contexts. However, in the case of John 1:1-14, the choice of "Word" as a translation aims to capture a broader theological and creative aspect of "logos." The decision to use "Word" is influenced by the historical tradition of translating "logos" in this specific biblical passage.​
"Word" is a somewhat flexible term in English and can encompass aspects of communication, expression, and manifestation, which align with the theological implications in John's Gospel. While "reason" or "logic" may capture some dimensions of "logos," they might not fully convey the broader sense of divine communication and creative principle that the term carries in this specific biblical context. Translation involves a balance between precision and conveying the intended meaning within the cultural and historical context.​
In what way does “word” accomplish this balance when “word” isn’t ever used in this way by English speakers except in this particular passage?​
The use of "Word" in translating "logos" for John 1:1-14 is indeed a unique and somewhat specialized choice in English. It is an attempt to convey the complex and multifaceted meaning of "logos" in the context of the passage, where "logos" is seen not just as a spoken word but as a divine, creative, and communicative principle.​
While "Word" may not be a common term for expressing divine concepts in everyday English, the choice is often influenced by the historical and theological traditions associated with this specific biblical passage. Over time, this translation has become conventionalized and is accepted within religious communities. The challenge lies in finding a single English word that encapsulates the full breadth of meaning carried by "logos" in this particular religious and philosophical context.​
It seems to me to be a rather poor translation and that “divine reason” would be far superior, just as your own description of the ancient meaning of “logos” would suggest.​
Your perspective is valid, and indeed, different translators may make different choices based on their interpretation and the nuances they want to emphasize. "Divine reason" could indeed be seen as a more precise translation, aligning closely with the philosophical and theological aspects of "logos" in the context of John 1:1-14.​
Translation often involves a balance between precision and maintaining a connection with the cultural and historical traditions associated with a text. Preferences can vary among scholars, religious communities, and readers. Your preference for "divine reason" reflects a desire for a translation that closely aligns with the nuanced meaning of "logos" in this specific context.​
If tradition is the reason “word” is used today, what reason would the translators of the King James Bible have had for using “word” over more directly accurate alternatives like “reason” or “divine reason” since "word" wasn’t a traditional translation at that time?​
The translators of the King James Bible, completed in 1611, made their choices based on the linguistic and theological understandings of their time. In the case of translating "logos" in John 1:1-14, they opted for the term "Word" to convey a sense of divine communication, creative power, and manifestation. The choice was not solely based on a historical tradition but also on the understanding of the theological implications of the term.​
In the early 17th century, "Word" was a word that encompassed a range of meanings, including expression, manifestation, and communication. The translators aimed to convey the idea that "logos" represented not only divine reason but also a dynamic, creative force through which God communicated and brought about creation. It was a choice influenced by the theological perspectives and linguistic conventions of the time.​
The thing that stood out to me in this exchange was how ChatGPT accepts both the historical and theological traditions of the translators as a good reason to use "word" as a proper translation. Essentially saying that since "word" was used in the King James Bible and we've been using that for 400 years, therefore "word" is a valid translation. I would have to say that this is no more or less flimsy of a reason for the use of the term "word" as any real person has ever given me.

I have no objective means by which to evaluate what ChatGPT said about the reasons for the choice that translators of the KJV made, but it comes off as the computer just spitting out a different version of the same answer it had already given me.
Here is a very interesting video. It's a discussion between two Christian programmers on AI. I don't remember if AI lying to people is brought up in this video or not but it's been shown to lie about political agendas and admit it lied the the person who asked it questions told it they knew better. That will be no surprise after watching the video.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Here is a very interesting video. It's a discussion between two Christian programmers on AI. I don't remember if AI lying to people is brought up in this video or not but it's been shown to lie about political agendas and admit it lied the the person who asked it questions told it they knew better. That will be no surprise after watching the video.

Not exactly a stellar start to a burgeoning technology. People will not use it if they cannot reasonably trust it.

Reactions: Lon

Lon

I've not delved much at all into ChatGPT and the little bit I have has been rather uninteresting really.
Except you and it had me at "hello!" I'm shocked a system can go this indepth in discussion already! My latest:
Voice recognition soft war and spill checkers are way I no rob aughts are not going too tack over the world anytime sune
274920276_10165847094420521_5742223543595798232_n.jpg

This morning, I woke up early and couldn't go back to sleep and so decided to ask ChatGPT what the word Logos meant. Here's the results....

Somewhat irenic, isn't it? I wonder if you could talk it into something unethical given enough time.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Except you and it had me at "hello!" I'm shocked a system can go this indepth in discussion already! My latest:
Voice recognition soft war and spill checkers are way I no rob aughts are not going too tack over the world anytime sune
274920276_10165847094420521_5742223543595798232_n.jpg

Somewhat irenic, isn't it? I wonder if you could talk it into something unethical given enough time.
So, I had to look up the word "irenic" but, yes, I got the same feeling. Seems like it was giving me the safe answer that conforms to conventional thinking rather than the hard, dispassionate, Spock like logic one might expect from a computer.

Clete

Right Divider

Body part
So, I had to look up the word "irenic" but, yes, I got the same feeling. Seems like it was giving me the safe answer that conforms to conventional thinking rather than the hard, dispassionate, Spock like logic one might expect from a computer.

Clete
AI will always reflect the bias of its creator(s).
It only gives the appearance of "thinking" or "reasoning".

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is nothing intelligent about AI. It is just a program written by a man with a familiar spirit. It probably has the same explanations for Protos and Prototype, and will call it "worst" or "chief", anything but what it means.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This isn't "Chapgpt" but it is the same basic algorithm by the prince of power of the air. It plays into the control of the Beast and letting them fall into delusion because that is where their heart is. This is after some back and forth just like Clete did with Logos. I did this because it is critical to salvation and not having people think they can save themselves if they change their ways. I asked why is it different right there if nobody used it that way. Because that isn't what Paul said. He said he is the prototype. He didn't know that in Acts 9. Not everything was revealed to him. He was saved in an instant because he knew in his heart the Lord Jesus Christ was raised from the dead, and he confessed on the road.

I apologize if my previous response was not clear. The Greek word "protos" can indeed have multiple meanings depending on the context. While its primary meaning is "first" or "prior," it can also be translated as "foremost," "chief," or "preeminent" in certain instances, as it carries the connotation of priority or prominence. In 1 Timothy 1:15, when Paul refers to himself as the "chief" or "foremost" sinner, he is not using "protos" in the sense of a prototype, but rather in the sense of being the foremost or most prominent sinner. Paul is acknowledging the depth of his past sins and his position as someone who was once actively opposed to Christianity. By calling himself the "chief sinner," Paul emphasizes the magnitude of God's grace in his life. This statement highlights the contrast between Paul's previous actions and attitudes and his subsequent transformation through Christ's forgiveness. Paul's use of language is not a confusion between the concept of a prototype and his own status as a sinner. Instead, he is employing the term "chief" or "foremost" to convey his recognition of the gravity of his former sins and the immense impact of God's salvation in his life. The usage of "protos" in this context relates to Paul's personal testimony and his understanding of God's redemptive work.

Godrulz himself could have written that drivel. "Past sins". Straight from his infamous "Initial justification" post.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm going to see how far out of line it is. Controversial topics are only controversial due to perversions of the truth, or outright rejection of it. So I will ask everything but the direct question before the direct question to see how often the conclusion is wrong. Logos and Protos won't be the only thing. Helena and her falsified claims come to mind. This should be fun.

Mount Siani is first up. I ask about the location of Midian. Midian is where Moses fled after killing the Egyptian. I share that for all of those here that never actually read or study the word. That isn't snarky, and I know it reads that way. I actually meant it. I will fill in some blanks.

Midian is an ancient region mentioned in the Bible and other historical texts located in the northwest part of the Arabian Peninsula, predominantly in what is now present-day Saudi Arabia. It is mentioned in various Old Testament narratives, particularly in relation to Moses and the Israelites during their time in the wilderness.

This is correct. It is not on the Sinai Peninsula.

Regarding archaeological evidence of Midian in Saudi Arabia, there have been several intriguing discoveries made in the northwestern part of the country, specifically in the region known as Al-ʿUla. Excavations led by researchers like archaeologist Dr. Farouk al-Rasheed have uncovered structures and inscriptions that are potentially associated with the Midianite culture. These include reliefs, rock-cut tombs, and ancient inscriptions referring to a deity called "Yahweh." These findings and their potential connections to the biblical narratives have inspired some scholars to propose this region as a possible location for ancient Midian and perhaps even Mount Sinai.

There is a bunch of archaeological evidence showing where Midian was, besides word of mouth like the Temple location.

When it comes to archaeological evidence of Midian on the Sinai Peninsula, there have been some discoveries over the years. One notable site is at a location called Tell el-Kheleifeh, also known as Timna, which is in modern-day southern Israel, near the border with Egypt. This site has revealed traces of a significant copper mining and smelting operation from the 13th to 12th centuries BCE, which aligns with the timeline of the Exodus story. Some scholars have associated this site with Midian, although there is no direct evidence linking it conclusively.

That isn't when the Exodus is, nor is that close to being possible for the location, meaning Timna. Copper mining isn't evidence anyway. Inscriptions of "EL" or similar in the correct time are evidence. But AI has to say something about the Peninsula if it is going to be a location for Mount Siani/Horeb.

So can AI tell us if Mount Sinai is on the Peninsula or in Midian (Saudi Arabia) ?

The identification of the Biblical Mount Sinai remains a topic of debate among scholars and historians. There are several theories regarding its location, but none can be definitively proven. Helena, the mother of Emperor Constantine the Great, claimed that Mount Sinai was located in the Sinai Peninsula. This belief eventually became mainstream within Christianity, and today, the traditional site of Mount Sinai is considered to be Jebel Musa or Mount Horeb in the southern part of the Sinai Peninsula. On the other hand, the Apostle Paul, in his Epistle to the Galatians, mentions Mount Sinai in connection with Arabia (Galatians 4:25). Some scholars interpret this as a reference to a different location for Mount Sinai, potentially in the northwestern part of Saudi Arabia known as the region of Midian. However, it's important to note that the Apostle Paul wrote in a symbolic or allegorical manner, so his reference to Mount Sinai in Arabia may not necessarily indicate a specific geographical location. Ultimately, the exact location of the Biblical Mount Sinai remains uncertain, and both the Sinai Peninsula and Midian have been proposed as potential sites by different scholars and researchers. The disagreement arises from the lack of definitive archaeological evidence or ancient sources that conclusively establish one location over the other.

That is AI, not Wikipedia. I agree about definitively proven. We can only go with what is known. As a side note, any conclusion about something that is outside of the authority of scripture is discarded by me.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I decided the chat needed a follow up question. Is there archaeological evidence of a million or so Hebrews on the Peninsula? Can the area around it accommodate that many people?

There is currently no archaeological evidence specifically confirming the presence of a million Hebrews in the Sinai Peninsula during the time frame mentioned in the biblical account of the Exodus. The story of the Exodus, including the Exodus itself and the subsequent wandering in the wilderness, is described in the Bible but lacks concrete archaeological evidence.

No kidding. The answer is actually zero, unlike stated above about evidence like copper mining.

The challenges in finding evidence for the Exodus and the presence of a large Hebrew population in the Sinai Peninsula are primarily due to several factors. First, the wandering in the wilderness is said to have occurred over a period of 40 years, during which temporary encampments would have been used and left behind. These types of structures are difficult to identify archaeologically, especially after such a long period of time. Second, there is a general lack of artifacts, such as pottery or inscriptions, that can be specifically attributed to the Hebrews during the Exodus period. This absence of evidence makes it challenging to establish a direct connection between the biblical narrative and specific archaeological sites in the Sinai Peninsula.

I strongly disagree with the conclusion of them having multiple encampments which is why nothing can be found. If that many people wandered around for that long, there would be inscriptions. There are, just not at that location.

Second, there is a general lack of artifacts, such as pottery or inscriptions, that can be specifically attributed to the Hebrews during the Exodus period. This absence of evidence makes it challenging to establish a direct connection between the biblical narrative and specific archaeological sites in the Sinai Peninsula. It's worth noting that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. While the lack of archaeological evidence of a million Hebrews on the Sinai Peninsula in that time frame has led some scholars to question the historicity of the Exodus story, others propose alternative interpretations or argue that evidence may still be uncovered in the future.

Interesting take. Often the opposite conclusion is stated here based on that condition, that there is no evidence. What else can I ask....

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A familiar spirit?

As in a ghost or demon?
As told in the "Old Testament" which requires small conjecture on our part. There are no ghosts, but there are fallen angels in rebellion against God.

Edit: Time for conjecture.

6 ‘And the person who turns to mediums and familiar spirits, to prostitute himself with them, I will set My face against that person and cut him off from his people.

Suspect and sketch composite.jpg

His hair at his arrest is different, but they look way to similar to be chance. Dorothy Allison had familiar spirits (conjecture), but of course it is not from God. He didn't do it, but he is a pedophile. They can't predict anything and are usually frauds who just steal money. The prince of power of the air works to ruin the world.

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
As told in the "Old Testament" which requires small conjecture on our part. There are no ghosts, but there are fallen angels in rebellion against God.

Edit: Time for conjecture.

6 ‘And the person who turns to mediums and familiar spirits, to prostitute himself with them, I will set My face against that person and cut him off from his people.

View attachment 9388

His hair at his arrest is different, but they look way to similar to be chance. Dorothy Allison had familiar spirits (conjecture), but of course it is not from God. He didn't do it, but he is a pedophile. They can't predict anything and are usually frauds who just steal money. The prince of power of the air works to ruin the world.
It seems that most of your doctrine in based on conjecture.

Mediums and familiar spirits DO NOT actually exist. That's why they call them "false" gods and there is no biblical evidence that demons can possess nonliving objects like computers.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's why they call them "false" gods and there is no biblical evidence that demons can possess nonliving objects like computers.
I didn't say they did.

And before this gets off topic, this is what I mean.

Ephesians 6:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Paul said he was being attacked. It isn't the bogeyman like in the Exorcist or other such movies. The forces Paul speaks of is government and Jewish leaders, and they are being influenced. And right now it is much worse than even 5 years ago, what is going on in the world.

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I didn't say they did.

And before this gets off topic, this is what I mean.

Ephesians 6:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Paul said he was being attacked. It isn't the bogeyman like in the Exorcist or other such movies. The forces Paul speaks of is government and Jewish leaders, and they are being influenced. And right now it is much worse than even 5 years ago, what is going on in the world.

The point is that there is exactly zero evidence that AI has anything to do with any such thing as principalities, powers, rulers of the darkness of this age or spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

It's a computer algorithm.

Lon

Clarifying question as I'm following: If the algorithm is written reflecting the values of the programmer, could the interaction with AI, then become a wrestling with principalities, powers, and ruling prevailing thoughts of this age and reflect the wickedness of spiritual hosts, a secondary or auxiliary battle? 🍿

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Clarifying question as I'm following: If the algorithm is written reflecting the values of the programmer, could the interaction with AI, then become a wrestling with principalities, powers, and ruling prevailing thoughts of this age and reflect the wickedness of spiritual hosts, a secondary or auxiliary battle? 🍿
No.

If a hundred different people asked an AI the same question at the same time, it would give all one hundred people the same answer because it isn't actually a thinking mind that is making intelligent choices. It simply takes the impute and uses an algorithm to formulate an answer. In other words, there is no moral capacity.

People are giving these machines way more credibility than they're capable of earning.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
... before this gets off topic, this is what I mean.

I also read that (Ephesians 6) to mean that the attack is a demonic idea and plot, not any man's or organization's idea or plan. That's why Paul says "not ... against flesh and blood," even though both Rome and Jerusalem were wrestling against them. So even if we find A.I. is demonically influenced, we know it's because of the demons. That's how it got there. "not ... against flesh and blood"