Muhammad Ali refuses to fight in Vietnam (1967)

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Heavyweight boxing champion Muhammad Ali (1942-2016) was outspoken about many political issues, including his opposition to the Vietnam War. Ali was drafted in 1966 and called up for induction in 1967, however he refused to answer to his name or take the oath. This led to Ali’s arrest and conviction, later overturned on appeal by the US Supreme Court. In March 1967, one month before his scheduled military induction, Ali explained why he would not be enlisting to fight in Vietnam:

Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go ten thousand miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights? No, I am not going ten thousand miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end. I have been warned that to take such a stand would put my prestige in jeopardy and could cause me to lose millions of dollars which should accrue to me as the champion. But I have said it once and I will say it again. The real enemy of my people is right here. I will not disgrace my religion, my people or myself by becoming a tool to enslave those who are fighting for their own justice, freedom and equality… If I thought the war was going to bring freedom and equality to 22 million of my people they wouldn’t have to draft me, I’d join tomorrow. But I either have to obey the laws of the land or the laws of Allah. I have nothing to lose by standing up for my beliefs. So I’ll go to jail. We’ve been in jail for four hundred years.” - See more at: http://alphahistory.com/vietnamwar/muhammad-ali-refuses-to-fight-1967/#sthash.HTNlgTfC.dpuf

No tears shed from me over his recent death.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
And you're here to, what, point out how big a jerk you are?

Since you're attacking me, I can only assume that you're a fan of Ali and (being a leftist) of course Islam.

Maybe Mo Ali should have done his homework before he started talking about slavery in the US.

SLAVERY IN ISLAM

Islam institutionalized slavery. Muhammad began to take slaves after he moved to Medina, and had power. Slaves were usually taken in raids on nearby Arab tribes, or war, either through offensive or defensive actions. Islam allows the taking of slaves as "booty", or reward for fighting. This has led to numerous "jihads" by Muslim states and tribes to attack other non-Muslim groups and obtain slaves. Islamic jurisprudence laid down regulations for the proper treatment of slaves. However, abuses have occurred throughout history.

INTRODUCTION

The West is familiar with the history of slavery in the new world. It was sinful and terrible, and it lasted for several hundred years. And it was abolished mainly through the efforts of Christians in England (Wilberforce, Clarkson) and America (the Abolitionists, primarily Protestant).

However, few people in the west know about Islam and slavery. Most would be surprised that Islam authorizes the taking of slaves as spoils of war. From the days that Muhammad drew his sword to rob and conquer non-Muslims to this very day, Muslims have been taking non-Muslims, and even other black Muslims, as slaves.

Muslims were enslaving black Africans long before any slave ships sailed for the New World. Muslims were taking and making slaves all over the lands they had conquered. Later, when slave ships were loaded with black slaves, often, a Muslim slave broker had the human cargo all ready to go. American slavers rarely had to go into inland to capture slaves, they were already waiting there, courtesy of some Muslim ruler, and/or slave broker! In many cases, if the black slaves were not sent to the New World, they were sent to the Mideast to be enslaved by Arabs, or kept by other black Muslims as slaves.

Read more: http://www.answering-islam.org/Silas/slavery.htm

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Even though he thought the war was immoral?

Do you not think he had a point?

Is that the standard?

My grandpa was a POW in the Philippines and tortured by the japs

He told me: go if you're called but don't volunteer. That's the standard bud

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

rexlunae

My grandpa was a POW in the Philippines and tortured by the japs

He told me: go if you're called but don't volunteer. That's the standard bud

On the authority of your grandpa? The Supreme Court ruled that he had a right to do what he did. What about their authority?

And, do you not think that he had a point?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
And you're here to, what, point out how big a jerk you are?

You're an idiot.

People like Ali chose to become Muslims because they were against white people. They saw Christianity as the 'white man's religion'. People as himself saw everything in such a way, and you're calling someone a jerk for not being fond of it?

I rather like jerks over full blown fools. There are more black slavers than any other in history, and you are all like

SoSorry.jpg

You all are oblivious of history and reality. Even in the ancient history of the Bible, there is plenty of slavery and bond servants in the Bible, do you know how many were black? Or even better, can you guess what color many, rather indigenous slave sellers were?

Take your white liberal guilt somewhere else. Ali was ignorant, and those jabs to the face just made him more ignorant. Every time a black person dies who had anything to say about race is worshiped and this whole thing restarts- and that's because society is as ignorant as he was- but it's not in my principle to speak ill of the dead, so I'll just leave it at that_

shagster01

You're an idiot.

People like Ali chose to become Muslims because they were against white people. They saw Christianity as the 'white man's religion'. People as himself saw everything in such a way, and you're calling someone a jerk for not being fond of it?

I rather like jerks over full blown fools. There are more black slavers than any other in history, and you are all like

SoSorry.jpg

You all are oblivious of history and reality. Even in the ancient history of the Bible, there is plenty of slavery and bond servants in the Bible, do you know how many were black? Or even better, can you guess what color many, rather indigenous slave sellers were?

Take your white liberal guilt somewhere else. Ali was ignorant, and those jabs to the face just made him more ignorant. Every time a black person dies who had anything to say about race is worshiped and this whole thing restarts- and that's because society is as ignorant as he was- but it's not in my principle to speak ill of the dead, so I'll just leave it at that_
Michael Richards went on a racist rant in public but I still appreciate him for his role as Kramer.

Thomas Jefferson owned slaves, but I still appreciate his part in this country's history.

I don't care what Ali's beliefs were. I still appreciate him for his legendary career.