Mods, why was The Barbarian banned?

noguru

Well said. To answer you, no I didn't think less of you, and it's great to have you back. :)

Sometimes one must lose the battle in order to win the war.

img_2598.jpg

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Awesome honoring marriage (Heb 13:4)] She might also be subject to fines and jail time. That's awesome, too!

Leftist politicians (Eccl 10:2, Jn 10:10) are claiming that she needs to uphold the law of the land today. She is. :thumb: Laws come from God not man (Gen. 2:18–24, 1 Ti 1:8-10, Ac 5:29). Looks like we've got a remnant left who doesn't want to see our country turned into Sodom and Gomorrah (Esth 4:14).

"The Rosa Parks of religious liberty." ~ Laura Ingram Jn 8:36 :straight:

Last edited:

bybee

Debates are often aimed at being persuasive. And what is persuasive to the masses is not always an accurate representation of reality. With that in mind, it is true that the cool head often wins, that is from a multidimensional aspect. Yet sometimes we do have to call a spade a spade (this is not a racial comment for any who might want me banned).

Agreed! I try to moderate my tone when I care deeply about something but I think one's feelings about a subject are important. They mustn't, however, be allowed to so cloud one's judgment that harm is the result.

noguru

You misquoted me...

That does not matter.

When you can use those Biblical verses and your own words to make a cohesive in context statement/question, then come on back talk to me some more and ask me some questions.

Right now you are like an annoying little gnat buzzing around my ear that needs to be swatted. The only difference between you and a gnat is that you have deluded yourself with your claims of being a "Christian" into thinking that your comments are relevant.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Hey, you're impressed with your thousands of years of Catholic history and dozens of learned old men. I'm holding up millions of years and billions of individuals. I think I'm holding the stronger hand.

Y'know, I have a problem with this for several reasons:

1. In a debate, one should proceed from mutually agreed premises to conclusions about which there is disagreement. My friend is aware that I don't think that human beings evolved from pre-existing living things, and you are on a forum in which there is a strong right wing evangelical Christian sentiment which entails, among other things, an outright denial of macroevolution in general (which even I don't deny).

What's the point of bringing it up?

2. Even if I granted that human beings evolved from pre-existing living things, I would still have to remind you, RexLunae, that "survival of the fittest" and all such teleological views of evolutions (i.e., that things are evolving so as to become "better") simply isn't an accurate representation of what's going on, from the viewpoint of biology.

It's not the "best" genes that get passed down. The genes which get passed down are whatever just so happens to get passed on. A random mutation doesn't have to be beneficial. It just has to leave the animal "good enough" to reproduce itself, even if that mutation ultimately is harmful to the animal.

Do I really have to talk about hereditary genetic diseases?

So, no, even if human beings have been evolving for millions of years, that doesn't really tell us anything about how intelligent the average human being is. For one thing, the brain isn't the cause (even the material cause) of intellectual knowledge (to understand this, you'd have to be familiar with Aristotle's De Anima). But even if it were, all that this tells us is that human beings have sufficiently good (or sufficiently non-defective) brains to permit them to survive long enough to have babies.

And I will point out to you, RexLunae, the fact that really stupid, uneducated, etc., people have lots of babies. This was the whole premise of the movie Idiocracy.

No, it's actually not, and again I feel like I might need to go get my dictionary. I will agree that it's not totally rational, but it's not dramatically less rational than any other religious position.

"I hope that there is a teacup orbiting Jupiter. Therefore, I believe that there is a teacup orbiting Jupiter." :rolleyes:

Such as? Your own personal scorecard?

So, currently in my Ph.D. graduate studies, I am: 1. in the process of writing lectures for a rational anthropology course I am teaching and 2. preparing a dissertation proposal.

If you want copies of said lectures, be sure to let me know. :wave2:

I'm a little surprised that you consider Hume to be definitive on that question. If you take his argument to its logical conclusion, you would be an agnostic, since you would have no way to distinguish between a world which is governed by a god and one that is not.

Yes. That is my point. That's why what Evoken said was silly and why the assertion in question is actual, literal nonsense (i.e., doesn't mean anything).

Again, that's why, when I asked you what such a world would look like, your delightfully useless answer was: "It would look intentional."

You have no such criteria for distinguishing such a world because there are no such criteria.

All of this, of course, is utterly crushing for the design arguments which were popular in Hume's time, but utterly inconsequential to Thomistic and Neoplatonic metaphysics (of which Hume seemed to be, by and large, unaware; he quotes Plotinus in the work, but apparently without any real understanding of his doctrines.

There isn't any one traditional Greek and Christian, or even Catholic conception. Certainly, there have been Catholics who have made moral arguments which all presume the nature of God. Are you repudiating those? Aquinas?

I subscribe by and large to St. Thomas' conception of God. You will, I am sure, tell me that the fifth way is a design argument. I'll answer: "No, it isn't."

Nor for believing in any such thing as a god.

I completely agree with this. The particular arrangement of the universe tells us absolutely nothing about the existence or non-existence of God. In terms of the sciences, the question of God's existence only arises in metaphysics (in the Aristotelian sense).

How do you know?

If you've read Hume's work in question, I'm surprised you need even ask. Do you recall Hume's discussion of a "rational," "thinking" God, i.e., the sort of God who is a kind of "intellectual cosmos or universe"?

It depends on how broadly or narrowly you take the notion. If you're trying to ask the question in the wide-open field of all possible gods, sure, I agree. But if you look more narrowly at any of the hypothetical gods proposed by any of the classical arguments for a god, it starts to make more sense, because the arguments themselves constrain the gods that they could apply to.

If the conception in question is Christian, Neoplatonic and/or Thomistic, then the assertion is meaningless. I believe in a God "who inhabiteth light inaccessible, whom no man hath seen, nor can see" (1 Timothy 6:16).

The Catholic hymn "holy darkness" comes to mind.

I believe in a God, who for all intents and purposes, is silent with respect to us.

I would bet that it fits a lot better than you realize because you've assumed that you understand his prior beliefs rather than trying to understand them from him.

My assumption is that his beliefs were Catholic beliefs. :idunno:

So does Christianity. Christianity literally is about God made (-morphesis) man (anthropo-). If you attack the entire space of all possible gods, yes, it's very hard to have any basis for drawing any conclusions, but Christianity tells us about the God that it believes in. It tells us a lot. And thus it's a much easier target.

You're equivocating. Christian doctrine is that God became man vis-a-vis the hypostatic union. In other words, Jesus Christ fully is God and fully is man. Thus, we can use the word "God" to supposit for (i.e., "stand for") the person of Jesus, i.e., the Divine Word, and say: "God is a man."

It doesn't anthropomorphize the divine nature (i.e., deity) itself. In other words, it doesn't make divinity into humanity.

They've got a book, you've got a canon. Is one really more rational than the other?

Consult the ISIS thread (and if interested, consult St. Augustine's On the Usefulness of Belief (De Utilitate Credendi)). That's not really a fair assessment.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Connie writes:
I don't see any way that I could possibly think less of you than I already do barbarian.

Understandable. I'm a heterosexual libertarian Christian.

I should take this opportunity to thank you for participating on TOL

Well thank you.

as people like you truly do motivate me to become politically active.

You've been very useful on occasion, Connie. I expect you will continue to be, from time to time.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Two questions apply.
Did anyone think better or less of me for the ban?

I felt better about myself because those who I disagree with on just about everything also had a big problem with you
so
how would you go about explaining that?

the best explanation I can come up with is you argue around the edges
so
it is impossible to pin you down
and
I don't see you as an honest person

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I felt better about myself because those who I disagree with on just about everything also had a big problem with you

I don't think that's a good way to base one's self-esteem.

so
how would you go about explaining that?

Probably because my opinions tend to not fit any particular agenda but my own. So I have disagreements with most people on something or other.

the best explanation I can come up with is you argue around the edges

Don't know what that means. Maybe because my opinions don't match up exactly with the "sides" you've marked off?

it is impossible to pin you down

I suppose it's hard to put me in a category. On abortion, maybe, but I'm just not an extremist by nature. So pretty much any position I take is going to be moderate, not extreme. "On the edges." I guess the closest thing to that concept in your party is "RINO."

I don't see you as an honest person

I've heard the same thing from doctrinaire leftists. Not so much from moderates, though.

If you think about it, you might figure out why.