May I ask...

way 2 go

"Are saved" from what?
(Matthew 25:46) And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal

Dan 12:2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting
contempt.

Luk 16:23 and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side.

(Revelation of John 20:14-15) [14] And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. [15] And whoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Derf

(Matthew 25:46) And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal

Dan 12:2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting
contempt.

Luk 16:23 and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side.

(Revelation of John 20:14-15) [14] And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. [15] And whoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Right. So we're talking about the wrath of God or God's judgment on judgment day. Both of these are future events/times. That's why it's a "hope".

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Right. So we're talking about the wrath of God or God's judgment on judgment day. Both of these are future events/times. That's why it's a "hope".

You seem to have lost the point of your argument, or at the very least, forgotten the point Steko made.

The believing Jews of James' day (post Paul) were saved by grace, but their salvation was not achieved.

Their salvation is the return of Christ, and the establishment of His Kingdom.

Our salvation is not achieved yet either:
1 Thessalonians 5:8 KJV — But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

1 Corinthians 15:19 KJV — If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

Galatians 5:5 KJV — For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

Ephesians 4:4 KJV — There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

Colossians 1:23 KJV — If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Titus 1:2 KJV — In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

1 Peter 3:15 KJV — But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

Romans 8:24 KJV — For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
If we already see our salvation, then hope isn't necessary. But Paul repeatedly says (and Peter agrees) that we have hope of our salvation.

You are imposing a modern day definition onto the Scriptural word 'hope'.
hope: to desire without any basis for expecting fulfillment.

That is not the meaning used anywhere in the NT.
The word hope in NT Greek is 'elpis'

ἐλπίς
elpis
el-pece'
Fromἔλπω elpō which is a primary word (to anticipate, usually with pleasure); expectation (abstract or concrete) or confidence: - faith, hope.
Total KJV occurrences: 54

My hope(confident expectation) is based on GOD's certain promises to me in Scripture.
My hope is my trust in what GOD has said.

We in the Body of Christ are saved, past tense, the moment we believed. Our hope, our confidence, is in God, that He will not cast us into the lake of fire on judgement day, because He said that He wouldn't be sent there if we believed.

Again, the salvation of the Jews was Christ returning and establishing His kingdom.

The "salvation" of the Body of Christ was Christ dying, being buried, and resurrecting from the dead.

Derf

It seems to me that you are arguing with someone other than me.
I don't see anywhere in my post what you describe in your post as me affirming.
Maybe I misunderstood when you gave me a definition of "hope", here:
You are imposing a modern day definition onto the Scriptural word 'hope'.
hope: to desire without any basis for expecting fulfillment.

That is not the meaning used anywhere in the NT.
The word hope in NT Greek is 'elpis'

ἐλπίς
elpis
el-pece'
Fromἔλπω elpō which is a primary word (to anticipate, usually with pleasure); expectation (abstract or concrete) or confidence: - faith, hope.
Total KJV occurrences: 54

My hope(confident expectation) is based on GOD's certain promises to me in Scripture.
My hope is my trust in what GOD has said.
I can see that you are saying the same thing I am, but then I don't understand why you posted it in response to mine. Of course our hope is in what God has said, but not looking forward to something that has already come to pass.

Hoping

Banned
again ?
Jesus Christ is Lord
Manifest it.
Do you obey Him?
so you keep "all the law" or do you pick and choose the ones you want to keep
I obey both laws of Christ.
Love God with all your heat, soul, strength, and mind, and love your neighbor as you love myself.
but you like keeping some of the law for boasting purposes , but not all of the law
Again, you've lost me ???
it's not off topic of Mid Acts Dispensation and rightly dividing the word of God(II Timothy 2:15)
OK.
Judged at the time of death
do you think everyone is going to heaven when they die right now and then on judgement day God will kick the unsaved out ?
you're judged the moment you die ?
No, I don't think that.
(II Corinthians 5:8) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
Wouldn't you prefer to be with the Lord than to keep on living here?
I do.
no , nor can you
You don't know what to look for, I guess.
and David had to keep the law
Yeah...
no but I will let JR answer
JR:The point was that grace can be added to law, and it will remain law, but adding law to grace turns it into law.
Thanks be to God for the ways and means of dying to the Law !
Gen 17:10 This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your offspring after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised.
(Genesis 17:14) And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant.
OK for the OT.
what verse in acts 2 did away with the law as in specifically says the law was done away with ,
not asking for your interpretation of a verse " that could mean "
show me a verse that says "the law" was abolished from acts chapter 2
The Law, or its passing away wasn't a topic of Acts 2.
BTW it was an audience of almost all Jews so the abolishing of the law would have been a huge deal
One step at a time.
"Hear" first, then step 2.
(Matthew 23:23) Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought you to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
OK ?
you're a works salvation kinda guy , not made righteous by faith alone
(Romans 4:5) But to him that works not, but believes on him that justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness
I am a "dead to the Law" kinda guy.
If you want to say I keep the Law, or some part of it, I am not offended.
So much of it is included in just loving my neighbor as I love myself that your mistake is actually a compliment.
there was no law at the time Abraham was made righteous 1st covenant Gen 15:6 , by faith alone
Right.
Then his actions proved his faith.
no.
God knows his own
(Romans 8:15-16)
But we are not God.
(Romans 7:15 [MKJV]) For that which I do, I know not. For what I desire, that I do not do; but what I hate, that I do.
What does Paul's narrative of his time in the flesh have to do with anything?
so do you have to keep the whole law or just those 5 laws to stay saved ?
Just the two Jesus commanded in Matt 22:37-40..."Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."
"It is permanent, until you"
"commit adultery or steal from work"
"murder"
"drug abuse or child molesting"
Conversion can be reneged on.
sons don't get kicked out of the family for disobedience
Sons of God cannot bring forth the fruit of the devil.
(Romans 7:15 [MKJV]) For that which I do, I know not. For what I desire, that I do not do; but what I hate, that I do.
I love Jesus , Romans 8:15
I don't love my employer
If you can't love your neighbor, how can you love the One who told you to love your neighbor?
God wrote it down
Gen 15:6 And he believed the LORD, and he counted it to him as righteousness.
in the 1st covenant he believed
you really don't like rightly dividing the word of God do you ?
I get the impression that you don't like seeing the proof of Abraham's faith that is available to us now.
(II Timothy 2:15) Study to show yourself approved to God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth
Amen to that.
demons don't have faith
How do we know that is true?
By their actions...just as we know Abraham was faithful.
salvation is by faith
Yes it is.
So is doing good to your neighbor.
1st covenant
promise
Gen 15:5
Gen 15:6
blood shed
Gen 15:9
Gen 15:10
abram was asleep (faith only)
Gen 15:12
God confirmed the covenant
Gen 15:17
Yep, Gen 9's covenant/promise between God and Noah...complete.
Gen 15's covenant/promise between God and Abraham...semi-completed at the birth of Isaac.
More is being completed with each new convert to Christ.
2nd covenant
promise
Gen 17:5
Gen 17:6
Gen 17:7
bloodshed and covenant confirmed each time the
work of circumcision is done.
Gen 17:10
OK.
As with the promises of Gen 15, the birth of Isaac fulfilled part of the promise.
More to come later.
(Ephesians 3:2) If you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
What does this have to do with your past paragraph?
the moment people die their eternal fate is sealed as faith will no longer be possible because they will know there is a God
(II Corinthians 5:8) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
The dead's fate is indeed sealed.
That fate will be illustrated by their name either being in or out of the book of life on the last say's judgement.
I don't consider Jesus' parable as a reality.
It was a story to make the point that there will be no more opportunities for salvation after death.
you missed the Plot change
Paul had a new dispensation
(Ephesians 3:2) If you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
It was gracefully supplied to all men at the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Thanks be to God.
Israel was cut off when Paul received his dispensation
They were cut off when they refused to believe Jesus was the Messiah.
do I need to add these to the list of Laws hoping must keep to stay saved ?
Nope, as it is the natural action of a reborn man who has been given a divine nature and has faith and who loves their neighbor as he loves himself.
"I have seen plenty of men and women turn from their conversion, and from their love of Christ."
but according to you ,
you can tell if someone is a Christian by a few minutes of observation
Yep, sometimes faith is projected for ulterior reasons.
False faith will eventually be exposed by God.
I am glad that after Paul's flesh/old man was destroyed, (Rom 6:6), and he had been freed from the law of sin in his flesh by the law of the Spirit of life in Christ, (Rom 8:2), that he could henceforth walk in the Spirit, (Rom 8:9). instead of in the flesh.

Last edited:

Derf

You seem to have lost the point of your argument, or at the very least, forgotten the point Steko made.
You may be correct, but what you follow with makes me think not.
We in the Body of Christ are saved, past tense, the moment we believed. Our hope, our confidence, is in God, that He will not cast us into the lake of fire on judgement day, because He said that He wouldn't be sent there if we believed.
We are saved from something in rhe future, as you state. We are confident in that salvation, and thus we have hope that we will be saved from that future thing. There is a present aspect of our salvation and a future aspect of our salvation. You and I may disagree on what the future thing is we are saved from, but in general we are in sync, I think.
Again, the salvation of the Jews was Christ returning and establishing His kingdom.
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Are you saying that the Jews did not need to be saved from the same future thing we needed to be saved from? Or are you saying they DID need to be saved from the same thing, but the salvation was from a different source (the establishment of the kingdom rather than the grace of Christ)?
The "salvation" of the Body of Christ was Christ dying, being buried, and resurrecting from the dead.
If the future thing is the same for both the BOC and the Jews, then I'm having a hard time understanding why there's a different solution, when Peter clearly stated that the same name saves everybody:
Acts 4:12 KJV — Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

And not only that, but it is by grace they are saved, just like we are:
Acts 4:33 KJV — And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.

Acts 15:11 KJV — But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

Peter, in that last verse, looks forward to a future, common salvation of both the Jews and the gentiles, the last phrase including an implied "will be", not "were".

Just as Jude and Paul spoke of a salvation common to Jews and gentiles.
Jude 1:3 KJV — Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

Titus 1:4 KJV — To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.

You notice that in both cases there is a reference to THE common faith/salvation, because they were both talking about something that was available to both groups, Jews and gentiles. This is the danger of MAD, when they dichotomize the body of Christ and say there is a different salvation from the same future thing for one group vs. the other.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You may be correct, but what you follow with makes me think not.

We are saved from something in rhe future, as you state. We are confident in that salvation, and thus we have hope that we will be saved from that future thing. There is a present aspect of our salvation and a future aspect of our salvation. You and I may disagree on what the future thing is we are saved from, but in general we are in sync, I think.

I would agree.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Are you saying that the Jews did not need to be saved from the same future thing we needed to be saved from? Or are you saying they DID need to be saved from the same thing, but the salvation was from a different source (the establishment of the kingdom rather than the grace of Christ)?

It's a little bit of both.

The "future thing" in Israel's case was being cut off.

Jeremiah 18 records God warning Israel that if she rebels, God will not establish her as a nation.

Now, that's not to say that God's promises to Israel are revocable. They're not, as per Romans 11:29. And so all Israel shall be saved, as it is written...

But yes, the "source" of their salvation is the establishment of Christ's kingdom on earth. (For God's promises are irrevocable). God promised Abraham that whichever portion of land he chose, would belong to him and his descendants. God will not renege on that promise. He will reign as King forever.

If the future thing is the same for both the BOC and the Jews, then I'm having a hard time understanding why there's a different solution,

God promised that He would establish His kingdom on Earth.

The Body of Christ, however, has a heavenly future. We are citizens of Heaven. We won't be living on Earth after all is said and done. Not that we won't be able to visit and fellowship with Israel on Earth, of course, just that our residency will be in heaven.

There's a different "solution" because it's a different program.

when Peter clearly stated that the same name saves everybody:
Acts 4:12 KJV — Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Right, because Jesus is the central Figure in both programs.

For Israel, Jesus is the promised Messiah.
For the Body of Christ, Jesus is Savior.

And not only that, but it is by grace they are saved, just like we are:
Acts 4:33 KJV — And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.

Acts 15:11 KJV — But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

Correct.

Because you can't have law without grace, or else no one would ever survive the law.

The law condemns. It cannot save. Thus, it needed an undergirding of grace for anyone to be under it and survive, for if one breaks even one law, he is guilty of breaking the whole law.

For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all.

That's what the symbolic laws were for. They were because God was looking forwards to when His Son would come and die on the cross for their violation of the law.

That's what it means for Christ to come to fulfill the law. It's why most of the feasts were fulfilled by Christ's entire life, and had Israel not rejected her Messiah, the rest of the feasts would have been fulfilled as well.

Again, to reiterate: The law was undergirded by grace, because no one is capable of keeping the law perfectly. Only one Person was able to do so, and He was literally God.

Peter, in that last verse, looks forward to a future, common salvation of both the Jews and the gentiles,

Notice how you're making a distinction.

Peter was under the New Covenant, in which a distinction is made between Jew and Gentile.

But in the Body of Christ, there's no difference, "there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him." (Romans 10:12)

You have to remember that Gentiles have ALWAYS been able to come before God, but in order to do so, it had to be through Israel. This isn't the case in the Body of Christ.

For Israel, Jesus said, "for where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:20)

But for the Body of Christ, Paul says, "your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own". (1 Corinthians 6:19)

Notice the corporate relationship with Israel (see Matthew 15:24) versus the individual relationship with the members of the Body of Christ.

the last phrase including an implied "will be", not "were".

Right, Israel's salvation was still yet future, because Christ had not (and still has not) returned to establish His kingdom, hence the "endure to the end." (Mark 13:13) Those under the New Covenant, by that point known as "the Remnant," still fully expected Christ to return within their lifetimes, as Jesus told them multiple times that He would.

Just as Jude and Paul spoke of a salvation common to Jews and gentiles.
Jude 1:3 KJV — Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

Titus 1:4 KJV — To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.

There's no "Jews and Gentiles" in that passage. It's "Israel and the Body of Christ," but I can see why you could confuse the two.

But yes, the "common faith" is in Jesus Christ, for Israel, faith that He is the Messiah, for the Body of Christ, faith that He is Savior.

You notice that in both cases there is a reference to THE common faith/salvation, because they were both talking about something that was available to both groups, Jews and gentiles. This is the danger of MAD, when they dichotomize the body of Christ and say there is a different salvation from the same future thing for one group vs. the other.

But it's not the Body of Christ that we're dichotomizing.

It's the recognition that there was another group BESIDES the Body of Christ, that coexisted with it, that was the Remnant, the group of those Jews who were not cut off for their unbelief.

I don't remember who it was, but back when I joined TOL, there was a poster (might have been you, actually), who referred to it as "2p2p," or, "Two peoples, two programs."

He meant it as a derogatory term for what MAD believes, but it actually sums it up quite well. There were TWO groups, Israel and the Body of Christ, and TWO programs, the New Covenant and the dispensation of grace, that existed at the same time.

However, I don't believe that the person fully accounted for the fact that at first, it was only the first of those, THEN both simultaneously, and then the first died out while the second continued to this day.

In Acts, if you look at the mentions of Peter versus the mentions of Paul, say you graphed the number of mentions of each person per chapter on a chart, you would see that the book starts out with Peter, and no mention of Paul (Saul) then in Acts 7, Paul is introduced, the last time we see Peter mentioned is Acts 15 (the Jerusalem Council), and from there to the end, it's "all Paul, wall to wall."

There's also the three Ananiases, (three different people named Ananias), who each represent the state of Israel at the time of their mentionings. The first Ananias shows Israel rejecting her Messiah, by showing that people were starting to lose their focus on Christ. (Acts 5:5) The second Ananias shows the transferrance of ecclesiastical authority by the laying on of hands (Acts 9:17), from the Jews to the Gentiles, from the Kingdom to the Body, from the Twelve Apostles to Paul, the laying on of hands signifying an official bestowing of authority or status, from one who lived circumcised "according to the law," to one who was the Apostle of the Uncircumcision. And finally, the third Ananias, who was a High Priest (Acts 23:2), in trying to silence Paul (via striking him "on the mouth"), who was the one "commended to the grace of God" (Acts 14:26), by judging Paul "according to the law," shows Israel in her unbelief, "cast away" (Romans 11:15) after God turned to the Gentiles.

Both of these things show a transition of God's focus from Israel to the Body of Christ.

Derf

I would agree.

It's a little bit of both.

The "future thing" in Israel's case was being cut off.
In other words, not salvation from hell?
Jeremiah 18 records God warning Israel that if she rebels, God will not establish her as a nation.
Ok.
Now, that's not to say that God's promises to Israel are revocable. They're not, as per Romans 11:29. And so all Israel shall be saved, as it is written...

But yes, the "source" of their salvation is the establishment of Christ's kingdom on earth.
Salvation from hell?
(For God's promises are irrevocable). God promised Abraham that whichever portion of land he chose, would belong to him and his descendants. God will not renege on that promise. He will reign as King forever.

God promised that He would establish His kingdom on Earth.

The Body of Christ, however, has a heavenly future. We are citizens of Heaven. We won't be living on Earth after all is said and done.
I'm unconvinced. If we're in heaven and Jews are living on earth, and Jews are ruling, with Christ here on earth, over the gentile nations, and we are Christ's body, how can we not be with Christ here on earth?
Not that we won't be able to visit and fellowship with Israel on Earth, of course, just that our residency will be in heaven.

There's a different "solution" because it's a different program.

Right, because Jesus is the central Figure in both programs.
But my question was about what we and they are being saved from. What it seems you are saying is that we are saved from hell by Jesus' sacrifice on the cross, and the Jews are saved from not being a nation by Jesus establishing His kingdom. Aren't Jews in danger of hell, too? Aren't they saved from hell the same way we are?
For Israel, Jesus is the promised Messiah.
For the Body of Christ, Jesus is Savior.
"Christ" = "Messiah" = "anointed"
Why does the Body Of Christ need an anointed one, if we're not part of the kingdom of Christ?
Correct.

Because you can't have law without grace, or else no one would ever survive the law.

The law condemns. It cannot save. Thus, it needed an undergirding of grace for anyone to be under it and survive, for if one breaks even one law, he is guilty of breaking the whole law.

For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all.

That's what the symbolic laws were for. They were because God was looking forwards to when His Son would come and die on the cross for their violation of the law.

That's what it means for Christ to come to fulfill the law. It's why most of the feasts were fulfilled by Christ's entire life, and had Israel not rejected her Messiah, the rest of the feasts would have been fulfilled as well.
And still will be fulfilled, I think we both agree.
Again, to reiterate: The law was undergirded by grace, because no one is capable of keeping the law perfectly. Only one Person was able to do so, and He was literally God.

Notice how you're making a distinction.

Peter was under the New Covenant, in which a distinction is made between Jew and Gentile.
Which was shown to be a false distinction, one Peter and the twelve were not supposed to be making.
But in the Body of Christ, there's no difference, "there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him." (Romans 10:12)
Yet Paul continued to celebrate the Jewish feast calendar.
Acts 20:16 KJV — For Paul had determined to sail by Ephesus, because he would not spend the time in Asia: for he hasted, if it were possible for him, to be at Jerusalem the day of Pentecost.

You have to remember that Gentiles have ALWAYS been able to come before God, but in order to do so, it had to be through Israel. This isn't the case in the Body of Christ.
The body of Christ came about from Jews evangelizing gentiles.
For Israel, Jesus said, "for where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:20)

But for the Body of Christ, Paul says, "your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own". (1 Corinthians 6:19)

Notice the corporate relationship with Israel (see Matthew 15:24) versus the individual relationship with the members of the Body of Christ.
Some think the plural "you" in 1 Cor 6 is mostly talking about the local body of believers, making it, also, a corporate relationship:
1 Corinthians 6:17 KJV — But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

...one that can be sullied when a single believer joins himself to a harlot.
Right, Israel's
The nation's? Or the individuals making up the nation? I could see how the nation might be saved by getting rid of the less desirable individuals, and therefore "all Israel" being saved would not mean "all members of Israel" being saved.
salvation was still yet future, because Christ had not (and still has not) returned to establish His kingdom, hence the "endure to the end." (Mark 13:13) Those under the New Covenant, by that point known as "the Remnant," still fully expected Christ to return within their lifetimes, as Jesus told them multiple times that He would.
Ok
There's no "Jews and Gentiles" in that passage. It's "Israel and the Body of Christ," but I can see why you could confuse the two.
Not when Paul is writing to Titus. Yet he speaks of a common faith between them, as if it's an odd thing that a Jew and a gentile would believe the same thing. Jude, too, speaks of a common salvation--both groups are being saved from a common enemy. You might refuse to believe it, but that was the point of my thread about who the letters were written to.
But yes, the "common faith" is in Jesus Christ, for Israel, faith that He is the Messiah, for the Body of Christ, faith that He is Savior.
So He's not the Jews' savior, just the messiah? And He's not the BOX's Christ, just their savior? You're making different things that are the same, and for no valid reason.
But it's not the Body of Christ that we're dichotomizing.
Yes, I believe you are.
It's the recognition that there was another group BESIDES the Body of Christ, that coexisted with it, that was the Remnant, the group of those Jews who were not cut off for their unbelief.
Coexisted? Paul, Peter, Jude, John, and I believe James as well, spent much of their epistles trying to help the Jews and gentiles love and accept each other, so they wouldn't be thinking of each other as a different group, but brothers.
I don't remember who it was, but back when I joined TOL, there was a poster (might have been you, actually), who referred to it as "2p2p," or, "Two peoples, two programs."
It wasn't I, but I remember being confused by it for a time.
He meant it as a derogatory term for what MAD believes, but it actually sums it up quite well. There were TWO groups, Israel and the Body of Christ, and TWO programs, the New Covenant and the dispensation of grace, that existed at the same time.

However, I don't believe that the person fully accounted for the fact that at first, it was only the first of those, THEN both simultaneously, and then the first died out while the second continued to this day.
I agree there were two peoples (actually 3, when you count the Samaritans) then they were joined together in a momentous way, including the manifestation of the Holy Spirit, to show they all had the same spirit. Which is why I don't understand why you want to maintain the groups as different, separate, distinct.
In Acts, if you look at the mentions of Peter versus the mentions of Paul, say you graphed the number of mentions of each person per chapter on a chart, you would see that the book starts out with Peter, and no mention of Paul (Saul) then in Acts 7, Paul is introduced, the last time we see Peter mentioned is Acts 15 (the Jerusalem Council), and from there to the end, it's "all Paul, wall to wall."
So? Luke was with Paul. So He wrote about Paul. Paul was obviously chosen for special duty by Christ--not to create a different group with a different purpose, but to join the two into one (the Samaritans were already accepted by the 12, probably because they were circumcised), despite some serious pushback from the elitist church in Jerusalem.
There's also the three Ananiases, (three different people named Ananias), who each represent the state of Israel at the time of their mentionings. The first Ananias shows Israel rejecting her Messiah, by showing that people were starting to lose their focus on Christ. (Acts 5:5) The second Ananias shows the transferrance of ecclesiastical authority by the laying on of hands (Acts 9:17), from the Jews to the Gentiles, from the Kingdom to the Body, from the Twelve Apostles to Paul, the laying on of hands signifying an official bestowing of authority or status, from one who lived circumcised "according to the law," to one who was the Apostle of the Uncircumcision. And finally, the third Ananias, who was a High Priest (Acts 23:2), in trying to silence Paul (via striking him "on the mouth"), who was the one "commended to the grace of God" (Acts 14:26), by judging Paul "according to the law," shows Israel in her unbelief, "cast away" (Romans 11:15) after God turned to the Gentiles.
That's very interesting, but it not being explained in the scriptures that way makes your particular understanding suspect.
Both of these things show a transition of God's focus from Israel to the Body of Christ.
Or the transition of the body of Christ from a focus on Israel to a focus on the gentiles. The Plot isn't the only, or even the best way to read the scriptures, no offense meant to Bob.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
In other words, not salvation from hell?

. . .

Salvation from hell?

The Salvation of Israel was from being cut off from the promises God made.

I'm unconvinced. If we're in heaven and Jews are living on earth, and Jews are ruling, with Christ here on earth, over the gentile nations, and we are Christ's body, how can we not be with Christ here on earth?

Are you asserting that Jesus, who is God, can't be in multiple places simultaneously if He wants to be? ("omnipresent")

Also, Scripture is explicit: There will be both a new heaven and a new earth.

Paul states that we are citizens of heaven, not of earth:

For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee. So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. For we walk by faith, not by sight. We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

Brethren, join in following my example, and note those who so walk, as you have us for a pattern. For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame—who set their mind on earthly things. For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.

... while Israel was promised an earthly kingdom (too many verses, see the following links):

But my question was about what we and they are being saved from. What it seems you are saying is that we are saved from hell by Jesus' sacrifice on the cross, and the Jews are saved from not being a nation by Jesus establishing His kingdom. Aren't Jews in danger of hell, too? Aren't they saved from hell the same way we are?

I think part of the problem here is that you're treating national Israel as a "group of individuals" rather than a "single nation."

God promised that He would make Israel a great nation, and that He would reign forever over them.

"Christ" = "Messiah" = "anointed"
Why does the Body Of Christ need an anointed one,

I never said we did...?

Did you ever notice that Paul never once uses the word "anointed" except once in 2 Corinthians, and even then he's talking about us being anointed by God?

That's pretty significant, if you ask me.

if we're not part of the kingdom of Christ?

Define "the kingdom of Christ"? That could mean any number of different things, depending on the context...

Which was shown to be a false distinction, one Peter and the twelve were not supposed to be making.

Which was shown AFTER Paul's conversion, which only supports my position that there was a transition in whom God was focusing on, from Israel to the Body of Christ.

Yet Paul continued to celebrate the Jewish feast calendar.
Acts 20:16 KJV — For Paul had determined to sail by Ephesus, because he would not spend the time in Asia: for he hasted, if it were possible for him, to be at Jerusalem the day of Pentecost.

Which is completely in line with what he said:

For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.

The body of Christ came about from Jews evangelizing gentiles.

Wrong.

The Body of Christ began with Paul, and Paul is the one who went to evangelize, to the Jews first, then the Gentiles.

Some think the plural "you" in 1 Cor 6 is mostly talking about the local body of believers, making it, also, a corporate relationship:
1 Corinthians 6:17 KJV — But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

...one that can be sullied when a single believer joins himself to a harlot.

Except that Paul talks about those in the body of Christ as "many members."

For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith. For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another. Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.

The nation's? Or the individuals making up the nation? I could see how the nation might be saved by getting rid of the less desirable individuals, and therefore "all Israel" being saved would not mean "all members of Israel" being saved.

Think "corporately," so yes, the nation.

"And so all Israel will be saved..." (Romans 11:25)

Not when Paul is writing to Titus. Yet he speaks of a common faith between them, as if it's an odd thing that a Jew and a gentile would believe the same thing.

Um... Titus is a "Greek"... unless the Titus in Paul's epistle of the same name, and the Titus in Galatians 2 are two different people...?

Is not Paul just saying that he and Titus have a common faith in Titus 1:4?

Jude, too, speaks of a common salvation--

As I explain below, Jude is talking to those under the Gospel of the Kingdom (ie, the New Covenant). Within that "dispensation," those who are saved under it are "common" to each other, no?

both groups are being saved from a common enemy.

Not common to the other, though, which I think you've somehow assumed...

You might refuse to believe it, but that was the point of my thread about who the letters were written to.

See below.

So He's not the Jews' savior, just the messiah?

I didn't say that. (negative inference fallacy)

And He's not the BOX's Christ, just their savior?

(I'm going to assume you meant "Body's" here.)

Yes, Jesus Christ is not the Body's "Christ."

Again, I point out that Paul only uses the word anointed once, and it's not in reference to Christ. We are "Christians," anointed by God. (2 Corinthians 1:21)

You're making different things that are the same, and for no valid reason.

Except they're not the same, which is a valid reason to make the distinction.

Yes, I believe you are.

We're not.

Again, we're making a distinction between Israel and the Body of Christ.

On the contrary, I would accuse you of mashing together the Body of Christ and Israel, claiming they are the same, when you shouldn't.

Coexisted?

Yes. Both dispensations (the "dispensation" of the New Covenant, and the dispensation of the grace of God) were in effect at the same time.

The Remnant were under (the dispensation of) the New Covenant, and those in the Body of Christ were and are to this day under the dispensation of grace.

Paul, Peter, Jude, John, and I believe James as well, spent much of their epistles trying to help the Jews and gentiles love and accept each other, so they wouldn't be thinking of each other as a different group, but brothers.

Right. Why does that mean that two different dispensations couldn't coexist?

It wasn't I, but I remember being confused by it for a time.

Ok.

I agree there were two peoples (actually 3, when you count the Samaritans) then they were joined together in a momentous way, including the manifestation of the Holy Spirit, to show they all had the same spirit. Which is why I don't understand why you want to maintain the groups as different, separate, distinct.

You've jumped to a desired conclusion, here, which is why you don't understand the distinction.

When I say "two peoples," I'm not talking about "Jews vs Gentiles" (which I can tell that you thought I was talking about by the fact that you mentioned the Samaritans).

I'm talking about one group being Israel, the people of the circumcision, being made up of Jews and proselyte Gentiles (again, Gentiles have always been allowed to become a part of Israel, as long as they submitted to the law), and the other group being the Body of Christ, being made up of neither Jew nor Gentile, because there is no distinction in it.

Each group has different rules to be followed, because they are under "different programs."

It's literally why we refer to them as "dispensations," the greek word being the word we get "economy" from, oikonomia, literally, "house rules."

Jude begins his letter with this:

Jude, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James,To those who are called, sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ:

"Preserved in Jesus Christ."

You might think that's talking about the Body of Christ, but it's not.

Israel's "house rules" were that those under the New Covenant were preserved in Christ, but they had to stay in Christ in order to be preserved. If they departed from Him, they would not be preserved. (Which is the exact antithesis of "eternal security.)

"If you remain in Christ, you bear much fruit. But if you do not, you will not be preserved."

That's not at all like what Paul teaches those in the Body of Christ!

So? Luke was with Paul. So He wrote about Paul. Paul was obviously chosen for special duty by Christ

Why?

Why was Paul chosen for special duty?

I agree that he was, but did not God already have twelve other well educated people to use? I mean, He already told them to go out into the world, didn't He?

So why Paul at all?

--not to create a different group with a different purpose,

Because you say so?

Scripture says that Paul was sent to the Gentiles to preach a mystery, that being the Body of Christ, that [we] should be fellow heirs and partakers of [God's] promise in Christ.

For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for you Gentiles— if indeed you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which was given to me for you, how that by revelation He made known to me the mystery (as I have briefly written already, by which, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ), which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets: that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, of the same body, and partakers of His promise in Christ through the gospel, of which I became a minister according to the gift of the grace of God given to me by the effective working of His power.

but to join the two into one (the Samaritans were already accepted by the 12, probably because they were circumcised),

This assumes that the two groups I was speaking about above were "Jews and Gentiles" and not "Israel and the Body of Christ."

And, rather than "join the two into one," It was more of "tear down the division between the two."

despite some serious pushback from the elitist church in Jerusalem.

I think I know what you're talking about here, but could you provide the chapter and verse?

That's very interesting, but it not being explained in the scriptures that way makes your particular understanding suspect.

It's explained by the context!

Go read Acts again, and try to get a bird's eye view of what's going on with Israel.

I think you'll find that what I said fits it better than you might think!

Or the transition of the body of Christ from a focus on Israel to a focus on the gentiles.

This begs the question that Israel and the Body of Christ are the same group, when they're not.

The Plot isn't the only, or even the best way to read the scriptures, no offense meant to Bob.

I beg to differ.

way 2 go

Manifest it.
again.
Jesus Christ is lord
Do you obey Him?
you do know the law defines sin which is death
(Romans 7:10) And the commandment, which was to life, was found to be death to me.
I obey both laws of Christ.
Love God with all your heat, soul, strength, and mind, and love your neighbor as you love myself.
so if someone breaks those laws they lose their salvation

No, I don't think that.
do you think everyone is going to heaven when they die right now and then on judgement day God will kick the unsaved out ?
you're judged the moment you die ?

so what you do you think ?
Wouldn't you prefer to be with the Lord than to keep on living here?
I do.
I said : Judged at the time of death , you disagreed but now agree ?

heaven or hell the moment you die is A judgement , not judgement day
You don't know what to look for, I guess.
no I can't see into peoples hearts nor can you
David had to keep the law
and you claim we need to keep the law just the restated version
what are we up to now 5 is it , or 7 ?
Thanks be to God for the ways and means of dying to the Law !
but you're not dead to the law you want to keep it

Mid Acts Dispensation Paul is the only one to say the law is death to me
OK for the OT.
so you admit there was a law just not of Moses which was irrelevant

(Genesis 17:14) And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant.
The Law, or its passing away wasn't a topic of Acts 2.
chapter and verse before acts 2:41
can you quote Jesus doing away with the law

(Matthew 5:17) Do not think that I have come to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to destroy but to fulfill
One step at a time.
"Hear" first, then step 2.
what are you talking about ?

here is what I said again
it was an audience of almost all Jews so the abolishing of the law would have been a huge deal

the law was not abolished here :
(Matthew 23:23) Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought you to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

you need to show that the saved are not under the law by someone other than Paul , Mid Acts Dispensation
I am a "dead to the Law" kinda guy.
If you want to say I keep the Law, or some part of it, I am not offended.
So much of it is included in just loving my neighbor as I love myself that your mistake is actually a compliment.
well at least you admit you're not dead to the law and proud of it
Mid Acts Dispensation teaches the opposite
Right.
Then his actions proved his faith.

you want to ignore the 1st covenant with Abraham where he was declared righteous apart from works by faith alone

you still cling to self righteousness just a little .

Mid Acts Dispensation understands what you do not.
no works on Abraham's part in the 1st covenant
there was no law at the time Abraham was made righteous 1st covenant Gen 15:6 , by faith alone
But we are not God.
but you claimed to see into peoples hearts and know if they are saved or not
Paul was talking of his current state as a Christian which you don't like just like Abraham's 1st covenant

(Romans 7:15-25 [MKJV]) 15 For that which I do, I know not. For what I desire, that I do not do; but what I hate, that I do.

(Romans 7:20) But if I do what I do not desire, it is no more I working it out, but sin dwelling in me

Just the two Jesus commanded in Matt 22:37-40..."Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."
which encompasses the law

Conversion can be reneged on.
so you have to keep the law or lose your salvation
Sons of God cannot bring forth the fruit of the devil.
(Romans 7:15-25 [MKJV]) 15 For that which I do, I know not. For what I desire, that I do not do; but what I hate, that I do.
If you can't love your neighbor, how can you love the One who told you to love your neighbor?
moving the goalpost

your relationship with God is that of employer and employee

Mid Acts Dispensation teaches father and his children

(Romans 8:15) For you have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption by which we cry, Abba, Father!

I get the impression that you don't like seeing the proof of Abraham's faith that is available to us now.
you asked "how do I know Abraham is faithful"

God wrote it down

you're the one always skipping the 1st covenant and pretending it doesn't exist
its you who doesn't like faith apart from works . Mid Acts Dispensation

Amen to that.
(II Timothy 2:15) Study to show yourself approved to God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth

you're saying amen to workman
but not rightly dividing the word of truth
which you refuse to do

or you would acknowledge that Abraham's righteousness was by faith alone as the word of God says:

w2g said :demons don't have faith

How do we know that is true?
By their actions...
the demons know just like everyone when they die they will know Jesus is God
that is why salvation by faith is no longer possible after death .

just as we know Abraham was faithful.

supra

salvation is by faith

Yes it is.
plus works with you
salvation is by faith
So is doing good to your neighbor.

no
you could just be mindlessly nice to your neighbor. link nice vs kindness

Yep, Gen 9's covenant/promise between God and Noah...complete.
Gen 15's covenant/promise between God and Abraham...semi-completed at the birth of Isaac.
More is being completed with each new convert to Christ.
you meant Gen 17.
I know you get the 2 covenants confused as you like to pretend the 1st one never happened

Gen 17:5 No longer shall your name be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham, for I have made you the father of a multitude of nations.
Gen 17:6 I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make you into nations, and kings shall come from you.
Gen 17:7 And I will establish my covenant between me and you and your offspring after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your offspring after you.
Gen 17:10 This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your offspring after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised.

OK.
As with the promises of Gen 15, the birth of Isaac fulfilled part of the promise.
More to come later.
how sad for you

no , no mention of righteousness coming by anything but by faith in Gen 15
Gen 15:5 And he brought him outside and said, "Look toward heaven, and number the stars, if you are able to number them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be."

What does this have to do with your past paragraph?
everything
changed with Saul to Paul

The dead's fate is indeed sealed.
That fate will be illustrated by their name either being in or out of the book of life on the last say's judgement.
when you die you will either go to heaven or hell.
I don't consider Jesus' parable as a reality.
It was a story to make the point that there will be no more opportunities for salvation after death.
no
Jesus specifically mentions Lazarus which makes it true
it was about hell is real , the existence after death and
rising from the dead will not convince those determined not to believe

It was gracefully supplied to all men at the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Thanks be to God.
gentiles were to be joined to the kingdom of Israel
but now gentiles are saved apart from Israel in the body of Christ
which happened with Paul's dispensation

They were cut off when they refused to believe Jesus was the Messiah.
when
chapter and verse ?

Israel was cut off when Paul received his dispensation
do I need to add these to the list of Laws hoping must keep to stay saved ?

Nope, as it is the natural action of a reborn man who has been given a divine nature and has faith and who loves their neighbor as he loves himself.
I will add them anyways

"murder"
fail to "Helping the old lady across the street"
"Stealing from the blind"

Yep, sometimes faith is projected for ulterior reasons.
False faith will eventually be exposed by God.
you condemn those who don't keep the law

I am glad that after Paul's flesh/old man was destroyed, (Rom 6:6), and he had been freed from the law of sin in his flesh by the law of the Spirit of life in Christ, (Rom 8:2), that he could henceforth walk in the Spirit, (Rom 8:9). instead of in the flesh.
Paul's flesh was not destroyed until he physically died
Paul as we all do have a choice to walk by the spirit
you want to walk by the law thinking do's and don't s have a bearing on salvation

(Romans 7:20) But if I do what I do not desire, it is no more I working it out, but sin dwelling in me

Last edited:

Hoping

Banned
again.
Jesus Christ is lord
Saying or writing it means nothing.
you do know the law defines sin which is death
(Romans 7:10) And the commandment, which was to life, was found to be death to me.
so if someone breaks those laws they lose their salvation
If they break those 2 laws of Christ, they just manifest that they were not reborn of God's seed. (1 John 3:9)
do you think everyone is going to heaven when they die right now
No.
and then on judgement day God will kick the unsaved out ?
you're judged the moment you die ?so what you do you think ?
It my seem from some perspectives to be "right now", but it isn't.
I said : Judged at the time of death , you disagreed but now agree ?
Not at all.
heaven or hell the moment you die is A judgement , not judgement day
Judgement will occur on the last day.
no I can't see into peoples hearts nor can you
I don't need to, when women dress like men and men dress like women.
David had to keep the law
and you claim we need to keep the law just the restated version
what are we up to now 5 is it , or 7 ?
Two.
Love God with all your heart, strength, soul, and might.
And love your neighbor as you love yourself.
But aren't those the grateful, natural inclinations of those who have repented of sin?
but you're not dead to the law you want to keep it
Nope.
I died to the Law of Moses when I was "immersed" into Jesus and into His death and burial.
Mid Acts Dispensation Paul is the only one to say the law is death to me
The Law is death to all who fail to keep the Law of Moses.
so you admit there was a law just not of Moses which was irrelevant
Lost me there ???
OT edict done away with at the change of Covenants.
chapter and verse before acts 2:41
Huh ?
can you quote Jesus doing away with the law
I only have His departures from it.
Working/healing on the Sabbath. Picking corn on the Sabbath.
Not going through the Jewish hand washings., etc.
(Matthew 5:17) Do not think that I have come to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to destroy but to fulfill
And He did.
what are you talking about ?
If the Jews visiting Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost were going to accept the gospel, they needed to hear it first.
That is what happened in Acts 2.
here is what I said again
it was an audience of almost all Jews so the abolishing of the law would have been a huge deal
Not until they had an alternative to the Law of Moses.
the law was not abolished here :
No, the Law wasn't done away with yet..
Until Jesus rose form the dead, the OT and its Law was still in effect.
you need to show that the saved are not under the law by someone other than Paul ,
If we can agree that Paul didn't write the letter to the Hebrews, there are plenty of comparisons of the old ways and the new ways that replaced them.
Mid Acts Dispensation
well at least you admit you're not dead to the law and proud of it
Mid Acts Dispensation teaches the opposite
You must have misunderstood.
you want to ignore the 1st covenant with Abraham where he was declared righteous apart from works by faith alone
Abraham followed up that faith with actions, so we, many eons later, can determine he was indeed righteous.
That covenant between God and Abraham has nothing to do with me.
Now, post OT, can also be righteous by faith.
But if our actions deny that righteousness, we will not be found faithful.
you still cling to self righteousness just a little .
Not my righteousness, but God's righteousness given to me.
Mid Acts Dispensation understands what you do not.
no works on Abraham's part in the 1st covenant
No Law, but still, Abraham had to obey God.
but you claimed to see into peoples hearts and know if they are saved or not
I don't think I ever said such a weird thing.
People manifest what and who they love by their manner of dress, among other things
Paul was talking of his current state as a Christian which you don't like just like Abraham's 1st covenant
In the verses you cite, Paul is narrating his pre-conversion life while still walking in the flesh, trying and failing to satisfy the Law of Moses.
which encompasses the law
Jesus said all the Law and prophets hung on the two commandments He left us.
so you have to keep the law or lose your salvation
Those two commandments, as they are indicative of faithfulness to God.
Paul's life while still in the flesh was unredemptive.
moving the goalpost
your relationship with God is that of employer and employee
More like a King and a servant.
He makes the rules.
Mid Acts Dispensation teaches father and his children
Does that mean you can disobey Him?
Lessening Him to your idea of worldly fatherhood?
(Romans 8:15) For you have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption by which we cry, Abba, Father!
Amen to that !
you asked "how do I know Abraham is faithful"
God wrote it down
If you want to call the covenant between Abe' and God a "first covenant" feel free to do so.
God told Abe' he would have a son.
Abe believed it
God told Abe to sacrifice that son.
He went about to do it, and God stopped him.
Faith comes with testing of the faith.
you're the one always skipping the 1st covenant and pretending it doesn't exist
I consider the beginning of the OT as the arrival of the Law from God on Mt Sinai.
its you who doesn't like faith apart from works . Mid Acts Dispensation
I love "faith without the works of the Mosaic Law".
But I rejoice in the fact that God has rebirthed me to do all of His will too.
You have the "Lazy Man's Faith".
you're saying amen to workman
but not rightly dividing the word of truth
which you refuse to do
Show me your faith without being a workman, and I will show you my faith by being the workman.
or you would acknowledge that Abraham's righteousness was by faith alone as the word of God says:
It was by faith before the Law of Moses.
the demons know just like everyone when they die they will know Jesus is God
that is why salvation by faith is no longer possible after death .
Without actions, a being can't be deemed faithful.
Abe' believed, and awaited his son's birth.
supra
plus works with you
Nah, because the Law has been done away with, so I am on equal footing with Abraham.
Faith without the works of the Mosaic Law.
no
you could just be mindlessly nice to your neighbor. link nice vs kindness
Or you could genuinely care about them with a heart full of love.
you meant Gen 17.
I know you get the 2 covenants confused as you like to pretend the 1st one never happened
Gen 17:5 No longer shall your name be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham, for I have made you the father of a multitude of nations.
Gen 17:6 I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make you into nations, and kings shall come from you.
Gen 17:7 And I will establish my covenant between me and you and your offspring after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your offspring after you.
17 was the culmination of 15.
They are one.
how sad for you
no , no mention of righteousness coming by anything but by faith in Gen 15
Gen 15:5 And he brought him outside and said, "Look toward heaven, and number the stars, if you are able to number them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be."
Nothing, but believing.
I am glad we can see now that he did indeed keep the faith unto death
everything
changed with Saul to Paul
You write as if grace had never been dispensed before.
It had been given out as far back as Noah.
when you die you will either go to heaven or hell.
Eventually, but not until the return of Christ.
no
Jesus specifically mentions Lazarus which makes it true
it was about hell is real , the existence after death and
rising from the dead will not convince those determined not to believe
I recognize the gist of the parable, but that is what it is.
A parable...a tool to illustrate some point.
You got the point, but see the story as a truth instead of the moral of the story being the truth,
gentiles were to be joined to the kingdom of Israel
Got a scrip' for that?
but now gentiles are saved apart from Israel in the body of Christ
I don't buy the division you sow.
Jew and Gentile are both "saved" by repentance from sin and having our past sins washed away by the blood of Christ.
when
chapter and verse ?
There are no unbelievers in Christ
I will add them anyways
"murder"
fail to "Helping the old lady across the street"
"Stealing from the blind"
We Christians don't need to number what comes naturally.
As a Christian, isn't your natural response to need to help when you can?
you condemn those who don't keep the law
I have nothing to do with condemnation.
God will destroy those who hate Him.
Paul's flesh was not destroyed until he physically died
Was Rom 6:6 a lie?
"Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin."
No, it is the truth.
Paul as we all do have a choice to walk by the spirit
you want to walk by the law thinking do's and don't s have a bearing on salvation
If I kill a man and take his car, I won't be saved.
But those actions are those of one walking in the flesh, and my flesh was "crucified with the affections and lusts". (Gal 5:24)
Paul's laments from his time in the flesh and trying to satisfy the Law is only sad until you read Rom 8:1-2..."There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death."
Freedom from the law of sin, (Rom 7:23), and death !

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I could resond to all of this individually, but you're so set in your beliefs that it wouldn't make a difference, so instead I will ask you a simple question.

Saying or writing it means nothing.

If they break those 2 laws of Christ, they just manifest that they were not reborn of God's seed. (1 John 3:9)

No.

It my seem from some perspectives to be "right now", but it isn't.

Not at all.

Judgement will occur on the last day.

I don't need to, when women dress like men and men dress like women.

Two.
Love God with all your heart, strength, soul, and might.
And love your neighbor as you love yourself.
But aren't those the grateful, natural inclinations of those who have repented of sin?

Nope.
I died to the Law of Moses when I was "immersed" into Jesus and into His death and burial.

The Law is death to all who fail to keep the Law of Moses.

Lost me there ???

OT edict done away with at the change of Covenants.

Huh ?

I only have His departures from it.
Working/healing on the Sabbath. Picking corn on the Sabbath.
Not going through the Jewish hand washings., etc.

And He did.

If the Jews visiting Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost were going to accept the gospel, they needed to hear it first.
That is what happened in Acts 2.

Not until they had an alternative to the Law of Moses.

No, the Law wasn't done away with yet..
Until Jesus rose form the dead, the OT and its Law was still in effect.

If we can agree that Paul didn't write the letter to the Hebrews, there are plenty of comparisons of the old ways and the new ways that replaced them.

You must have misunderstood.

Abraham followed up that faith with actions, so we, many eons later, can determine he was indeed righteous.
That covenant between God and Abraham has nothing to do with me.
Now, post OT, can also be righteous by faith.
But if our actions deny that righteousness, we will not be found faithful.

Not my righteousness, but God's righteousness given to me.

No Law, but still, Abraham had to obey God.

I don't think I ever said such a weird thing.
People manifest what and who they love by their manner of dress, among other things

In the verses you cite, Paul is narrating his pre-conversion life while still walking in the flesh, trying and failing to satisfy the Law of Moses.

Jesus said all the Law and prophets hung on the two commandments He left us.

Those two commandments, as they are indicative of faithfulness to God.

Paul's life while still in the flesh was unredemptive.

More like a King and a servant.
He makes the rules.

Does that mean you can disobey Him?
Lessening Him to your idea of worldly fatherhood?

Amen to that !

If you want to call the covenant between Abe' and God a "first covenant" feel free to do so.
God told Abe' he would have a son.
Abe believed it
God told Abe to sacrifice that son.
He went about to do it, and God stopped him.
Faith comes with testing of the faith.

I consider the beginning of the OT as the arrival of the Law from God on Mt Sinai.

I love "faith without the works of the Mosaic Law".
But I rejoice in the fact that God has rebirthed me to do all of His will too.
You have the "Lazy Man's Faith".

Show me your faith without being a workman, and I will show you my faith by being the workman.

It was by faith before the Law of Moses.

Without actions, a being can't be deemed faithful.
Abe' believed, and awaited his son's birth.

Nah, because the Law has been done away with, so I am on equal footing with Abraham.
Faith without the works of the Mosaic Law.

Or you could genuinely care about them with a heart full of love.

17 was the culmination of 15.
They are one.

Nothing, but believing.
I am glad we can see now that he did indeed keep the faith unto death

You write as if grace had never been dispensed before.
It had been given out as far back as Noah.

Eventually, but not until the return of Christ.

I recognize the gist of the parable, but that is what it is.
A parable...a tool to illustrate some point.
You got the point, but see the story as a truth instead of the moral of the story being the truth,

Got a scrip' for that?

I don't buy the division you sow.
Jew and Gentile are both "saved" by repentance from sin and having our past sins washed away by the blood of Christ.

There are no unbelievers in Christ

We Christians don't need to number what comes naturally.
As a Christian, isn't your natural response to need to help when you can?

I have nothing to do with condemnation.
God will destroy those who hate Him.

Was Tom 6:6 a lie?
"Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin."
No, it is the truth.

If I kill a man and take his car, I won't be saved.
But those actions are those of one walking in the flesh, and my flesh was "crucified with the affections and lusts". (Gal 5:24)

Paul's laments from his time in the flesh and trying to satisfy the Law is only sad until you read Rom 8:1-2..."There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death."
Freedom from the law of sin, (Rom 7:23), and death !

Jesus was circumcised.

Were you?

Hoping

Banned
I could respond to all of this individually, but you're so set in your beliefs that it wouldn't make a difference, so instead I will ask you a simple question.
You have no reason to respond, as it was addressed to someone else.
Jesus was circumcised.
Were you?
Yes, I was...but neither of us volunteered for it.
Joseph, Mary, and my parents, had us circumcised to satisfy the customs of the day.
Their's...religious customs.
Mine...medical customs.
Circumcision made neither of us righteous.
Circumcision was a presage of the "casting away of the flesh" done at our "immersion" into Christ and into His death and burial. (Rom 6:3-6, Col 2:11-13)

Hoping

Banned
It was not a "custom of the day" it was the law of God.

Gen 17:14 (AKJV/PCE)
(17:14) And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.
Too bad the people of Israel weren't making all the other Laws "customary".

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You have no reason to respond,

Correcting your false doctrine is enough of a reason to respond.

as it was addressed to someone else.

I am fully aware of that.

Yes, I was...

That's part of the law.

but neither of us volunteered for it.

Irrelevant.

Joseph, Mary, and my parents, had us circumcised to satisfy the customs of the day.
Their's...religious customs.
Mine...medical customs.

So it wasn't for religious reasons?

How do you know?

Circumcision made neither of us righteous.

Were you required to do so?

Circumcision was a presage of the "casting away of the flesh" done at our "immersion" into Christ and into His death and burial. (Rom 6:3-6, Col 2:11-13)

And yet, Paul says not to circumcise (or at least not for religious reasons).

I wonder why...

Too bad the people of Israel weren't making all the other Laws "customary".

Paul said that if you keep one law, you are required to keep them all. Circumcision is synonymous with the law, because the law is the cutting off of the flesh.

Hoping

Banned
Correcting your false doctrine is enough of a reason to respond.
I am glad you have changed your mind.
So it wasn't for religious reasons?
Mine wasn't.
Jesus' parents were abiding the the customs of Israel.
How do you know?
Jesus didn't have the intellect to decide what happened to Him at 8 days of age.
It was His parents that had the procedure done to Him.
Were you required to do so?
I was not.
It would not have made me righteous, even if it was required.
There was no unrighteousness in me until I could understand what righteous and unrighteousness were.
And yet, Paul says not to circumcise (or at least not for religious reasons).
I wonder why...
Paul "graduated" to the New Covenant between God and all men.
Circumcision, dietary rules, tithing, feast keeping, and sabbaths, etc. had no part in the NC.
Paul said that if you keep one law, you are required to keep them all. Circumcision is synonymous with the law, because the law is the cutting off of the flesh.
I agree.
The unbelieving Israelites did a good job holding to circumcision and the things I cited above, but like the Pharisees and Sadducees had omitted the weightier matters of love.

Derf

The Salvation of Israel was from being cut off from the promises God made.
meaning they didn't need to be saved from hell? Or it is a "salvation" of lesser consequence? If from hell, then are they saved from hell as a nation? I think you're saying no, in which case we need to go back to discussing how they and we are saved from hell.
Are you asserting that Jesus, who is God, can't be in multiple places simultaneously if He wants to be? ("omnipresent")
maybe. He has a physical body now, but if he's reigning on earth, then even if He's everywhere at once, He's still bodily at one place, which is where His body would be, don't you think?
Also, Scripture is explicit: There will be both a new heaven and a new earth.
yes.
Paul states that we are citizens of heaven, not of earth:

For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee. So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. For we walk by faith, not by sight. We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

Brethren, join in following my example, and note those who so walk, as you have us for a pattern. For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame—who set their mind on earthly things. For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.
Did you notice in those that the citizenship is in heaven FROM WHICH we eagerly wait for Him? In other words He's coming here. We won't be going there unless we are first changed here. So "citizenship from heaven" doesn't mean it is only useful in heaven. Don't forget that all the faith warriors in Heb 11 were looking for a heavenly country, but you're saying they're stuck with an earthly one
[Heb 11:16 KJV] 16 But now they desire a better [country], that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.
... while Israel was promised an earthly kingdom (too many verses, see the following links):

I think part of the problem here is that you're treating national Israel as a "group of individuals" rather than a "single nation."

God promised that He would make Israel a great nation, and that He would reign forever over them.
Ok, but then they need to be saved individually, too, right? Saved from hell?
I never said we did...?

Did you ever notice that Paul never once uses the word "anointed" except once in 2 Corinthians, and even then he's talking about us being anointed by God?

That's pretty significant, if you ask me.
it's significant that Paul used the word "anointed" over 300 times. Christ means anointed one. Look it up.
Define "the kingdom of Christ"? That could mean any number of different things, depending on the context...
Does it? I'm not so sure it does.
Which was shown AFTER Paul's conversion, which only supports my position that there was a transition in whom God was focusing on, from Israel to the Body of Christ.

Which is completely in line with what he said:

For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.
win Jews for what purpose? Isn't it to "save" them? What kind of saving was it, and why dobyoubthink some Jews didn't need saving in that way?
Wrong.

The Body of Christ began with Paul, and Paul is the one who went to evangelize, to the Jews first, then the Gentiles.

Except that Paul talks about those in the body of Christ as "many members."

For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith. For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another. Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.

Think "corporately," so yes, the nation.

"And so all Israel will be saved..." (Romans 11:25)

Um... Titus is a "Greek"... unless the Titus in Paul's epistle of the same name, and the Titus in Galatians 2 are two different people...?

Is not Paul just saying that he and Titus have a common faith in Titus 1:4?
Not really. He calls it "THE common faith", not "OUR common faith". And he calls Titus his son in that faith. Why? Because Titus was a Greek and Paul a Jew. They were not of the same race, yet he was a son of Paul in a faith that joins Jews and Gentiles together (which you admit).
[Tit 1:4 KJV] 4 To Titus, [mine] own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, [and] peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.
Now that the two are joined together in some way (by the same Spirit), it is anti-Christian, in my opinion, to now try to keep them separate.
As I explain below, Jude is talking to those under the Gospel of the Kingdom (ie, the New Covenant). Within that "dispensation," those who are saved under it are "common" to each other, no?
Why does he need to specify it if they are all Jews? If course it's common between those of the same race in that case.
Not common to the other, though, which I think you've somehow assumed...
I don't think it's just an assumption. Your view doesn't make sense of the text.
See below.

I didn't say that. (negative inference fallacy)

(I'm going to assume you meant "Body's" here.)
"BOC's" is what I was aiming at...drat that spellchecker.
Yes, Jesus Christ is not the Body's "Christ."
What? Why would Paul call Jesus "Christ" hundreds of times, then? What would it mean to his gentile readers if not their Christ?
Again, I point out that Paul only uses the word anointed once, and it's not in reference to Christ. We are "Christians," anointed by God. (2 Corinthians 1:21)
"Christ" means anointed. All but one of Paul's hundreds of used of the word "anointed" refered to Jesus, the anointed one.
Except they're not the same, which is a valid reason to make the distinction.

We're not.

Again, we're making a distinction between Israel and the Body of Christ.

On the contrary, I would accuse you of mashing together the Body of Christ and Israel, claiming they are the same, when you shouldn't.
No, I recognize they are different, but then they are joined together in Christ SO THAT there doesn't need to be Jew or Greek.
Yes. Both dispensations (the "dispensation" of the New Covenant, and the dispensation of the grace of God) were in effect at the same time.
Sure...in a single people made from two groups. I'll buy that.
The Remnant were under (the dispensation of) the New Covenant, and those in the Body of Christ were and are to this day under the dispensation of grace.
Again, this is fine, as long as they are becoming a single people group.
Right. Why does that mean that two different dispensations couldn't coexist?
As long as they are coexisting as a single people group, that works for me.
Ok.

You've jumped to a desired conclusion, here, which is why you don't understand the distinction.

When I say "two peoples," I'm not talking about "Jews vs Gentiles" (which I can tell that you thought I was talking about by the fact that you mentioned the Samaritans).

I'm talking about one group being Israel, the people of the circumcision, being made up of Jews and proselyte Gentiles (again, Gentiles have always been allowed to become a part of Israel, as long as they submitted to the law), and the other group being the Body of Christ, being made up of neither Jew nor Gentile, because there is no distinction in it.

Each group has different rules to be followed, because they are under "different programs."
there ceased to be a need for proselytes when Jesus declared all people clean.
It's literally why we refer to them as "dispensations," the greek word being the word we get "economy" from, oikonomia, literally, "house rules."

Jude begins his letter with this:

Jude, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James,To those who are called, sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ:

"Preserved in Jesus Christ."

You might think that's talking about the Body of Christ, but it's not.

Israel's "house rules" were that those under the New Covenant were preserved in Christ, but they had to stay in Christ in order to be preserved. If they departed from Him, they would not be preserved. (Which is the exact antithesis of "eternal security.)

"If you remain in Christ, you bear much fruit. But if you do not, you will not be preserved."

That's not at all like what Paul teaches those in the Body of Christ!
Sure it is. Read Galatians.
Why?

Why was Paul chosen for special duty?

I agree that he was, but did not God already have twelve other well educated people to use? I mean, He already told them to go out into the world, didn't He?
Were they doing it? No. So God called Paul.
So why Paul at all?
supra
Because you say so?

Scripture says that Paul was sent to the Gentiles to preach a mystery, that being the Body of Christ, that [we] should be fellow heirs and partakers of [God's] promise in Christ.
No, the mystery, to both Jews and Gentiles, was that they would be joined together as one group. That's why they would then be called "fellow" heirs.
For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for you Gentiles— if indeed you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which was given to me for you, how that by revelation He made known to me the mystery (as I have briefly written already, by which, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ), which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets: that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, of the same body, and partakers of His promise in Christ through the gospel, of which I became a minister according to the gift of the grace of God given to me by the effective working of His power.

This assumes that the two groups I was speaking about above were "Jews and Gentiles" and not "Israel and the Body of Christ."

And, rather than "join the two into one," It was more of "tear down the division between the two."
I fail to see a difference, especially if there ceases to be Jew or Greek, as you pointed out.
I think I know what you're talking about here, but could you provide the chapter and verse?
This is the best one:
[Gal 2:12 KJV] 12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
It's explained by the context!

Go read Acts again, and try to get a bird's eye view of what's going on with Israel.
That's what I've been going from. Acts of the Apostles described the twelve and their failure to carry out Christ's command to reach beyond Jerusalem, and the appointment of Paul to do so, followed by the twelve's grudging acceptance of Gentiles into Christ's church.
I think you'll find that what I said fits it better than you might think!

This begs the question that Israel and the Body of Christ are the same group, when they're not.
No, they're definitely not the same. BOC includes those of Israel who believe in Christ, Israel doesn't include any of the BOC, though there are passage that might suggest such.

I beg to differ.
Of course.

I've tried to address all your points, but I expect I didn't get them all. Feel free to reiterate where necessary.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Bible teaches that the Jews WERE, past tense, saved by keeping the law, in that they USED TO HAVE TO to keep the law their entire life ("endure to the end") to achieve salvation,

Yet the author of Hebrews says it was IMPOSSIBLE to be saved by keeping that law.
Hebrews 10:1 KJV — For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

The writer of Hebrews was writing to the Jews (obviously), and he was writing in keeping with the kingdom gospel, right, since he was talking about kings and priests?

So why, during the time of James, was James pushing a gospel that relied on the law to save, when the author of Hebrews says the law can't save?
According to the following scripture Peter didn't think the law ever saved the Jews either because he says that none of the Jews (past or present) were able to keep it.

Acts 15:7-11 ESV
And after there had been much debate, Peter stood up and said to them, “Brothers, you know that in the early days God made a choice among you, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe.
And God, who knows the heart, bore witness to them, by giving them the Holy Spirit just as he did to us,
and he made no distinction between us and them, having cleansed their hearts by faith.
Now, therefore, why are you putting God to the test by placing a yoke on the neck of the disciples that neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear?
But we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they will
.”

Derf

According to the following scripture Peter didn't think the law ever saved the Jews either because he says that none of the Jews (past or present) were able to keep it.

Acts 15:7-11 ESV
And after there had been much debate, Peter stood up and said to them, “Brothers, you know that in the early days God made a choice among you, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe.
And God, who knows the heart, bore witness to them, by giving them the Holy Spirit just as he did to us,
and he made no distinction between us and them, having cleansed their hearts by faith.
Now, therefore, why are you putting God to the test by placing a yoke on the neck of the disciples that neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear?
But we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they will
.”
And in that translation both are explicitly future tense (KJV is less obvious).