Keith Olberman finally got it right

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Of course he will balance out his broken clock as soon as he starts talking about why liberty and freedom are bad. As for the content, of those that simply overlapped his career, not even playing at the same general time, he is way behind most other "great" shortstops.

I would take Alan Trammell in a heartbeat before him. As well as Travis Fryman, who supplanted Trammell at SS when Trammell aged beyond being effective at SS.

I would take Omar Vizquel who can't even hit because he is the opposite of a liability that Jeter is on defense.

Barry Larkin anybody?

Jeter sucks

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Tram was the man.:bow:

I rooted for him, Lou Whitiker, Lance Parrish, Chet Lemon, Jack Morris--all those guys. That '84 team was amazing.

Jeter's a good, solid player. One of two modern Yankees I've never been able to hate (Mo Rivera being the other). Not the greatest all time. Not close.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Tram was the man.:bow:

I rooted for him, Lou Whitiker, Lance Parrish, Chet Lemon, Jack Morris--all those guys. That '84 team was amazing.

Jeter's a good, solid player. One of two modern Yankees I've never been able to hate (Mo Rivera being the other). Not the greatest all time. Not close.

It ends there. Olberman is right, they are slobbering all over him like he was the Babe himself.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It isn't like he wasn't a really good player. His send off like he was Julius Erving is confusing to me.

The Berean

It isn't like he wasn't a really good player. His send off like he was Julius Erving is confusing to me.

He's a life long Yankee. That's basically it IMO. I have nothing against Jeter but I won't miss him.

Funny that Olberman mentioned WAR.

Yankees Top 20 WAR
142.9- Babe Ruth
112.4- Lou Gehrig
109.7- Mickey Mantle
78.2- Joe DiMaggio
71.9- Derek Jeter
59.3- Yogi Berra
56.6- Mariano Rivera
55.8- Bill Dickey
53.9- Whitey Ford
53.7- Willie Randolph
52.5- Alex Rodriguez
51.6- Andy Pettitte
49.4- Bernie Williams
48.3- Tony Lazzeri
47.9- Ron Guidry
46.8- Red Ruffing
46.7- Roy White
45.9- Thurman Munson
45.1- Robinson Cano
44.3- Craig Nettles

The Berean

Even though he's been dead for 59 years and he played his last major league game 97 years ago, Honus Wagner is still considered the greatest shortstop in major league history.

wagner.jpg

524px-Honus_Wagner_1911.jpg

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Even though he's been dead for 59 years and he played his last major league game 97 years ago, Honus Wagner is still considered the greatest shortstop in major league history.

And his baseball card still brings the big bucks.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Jeter getting a walk-off hit in his last game at Yankee stadium was really nice. Him walking over to shortstop for the last time was so sad. :(

Robertson had to feel so terrible for giving up the lead in the top of the 9th but it ended up working out. :chuckle:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I think it's just because he was never traded, never arrested, and chicks digged him.

I think that's part of it. I don't think anyone will disagree that Jeter did things the 'right' way. He was a career Yankee. His clutchness is a factor too. Perhaps he gets too much credit for that but I don't really care. No one is saying he's the greatest shortstop of all time. No one is saying he's the greatest Yankee of all time.

Jeter has never had a losing season in his 20 year career and his walk-off hit in his last game at Yankee stadium guaranteed that they will have a winning season this year.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Jeez, talk about a story book ending, folks.

Plus the Fenway crowd gave him a roaring standing O after his final at-bat. A worthy foe, that one.

Well done, sir. You earned that gold watch.:bow:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is he over hyped? Sure. But so was Cal Ripken, Jr. His "farewell tour" was even more nauseating that Jeter's.

Another pet peeve of mine. He was playing terrible in the streak and should have been sat down, which would have been in the best interest of the team.