• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Is there any obvious evidence today for the biblical global Flood?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I've never seen any "rigorous mathematical calculations", but I assume that he's not just throwing spitballs.
Based on his reputation, I'd agree with you but it would be nice to see some kind of analysis that gave some objective credence to such a number. I've said for years and years that I'd love to see someone do some computer modeling of the theory. That would be amazing!

It would also be amazingly expensive!

That's a little too convenient. They appear to be impact craters.

Only because they appear to be impact craters. I don't think that they need to be a special event, but that this is exactly what they appear to be.
They are impact craters! What else would they be?

Why would the fact that they're impact craters lead you to believe that they need to be younger than creation itself?

Valles Marineris is an enormous canyon on Mars the size of the United States. Mars also has Olympus Mons, the largest mountain in the solar system. Do you think these features were not present when God created Mars? I think they were! At the very least, I have no good reason to think otherwise.

There are countless impact craters on Mercury that cannot be accounted for in less than billion of years of time if the planet has been impacted by meteors at the rate that is currently happening. Do you suppose the meteors that impacted Mercury came from the same event that cratered the Moon? How about Callisto, one of Jupiter's moons? It too is very heavily cratered with impact craters that cannot be accounted for in anything less than billions of years of time if the moon started out with none. Surely, Walt's theory cannot account for impact craters on a moon orbiting Jupiter.

As I was writing this, I was reminded of a completely different cosmology called "Electric Universe Theory" or "Plasma Cosmology". Many think it's pseudo scientific, or at least they accusing it of being that, but I think it is at least as plausible as Walt Brown's Hydroplate Theory. I don't mean to suggest that the EUT speaks at all to the issue of Noah's flood, but if one wanted to reject the notion that the impact craters and other geological features we see in the solar system were present when God created those bodies, then, when it comes to explaining how those geologic features came to be, I find it to be at least as plausible (to put it mildly) as the idea that ejecta from Earth could account for any of it.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
They are impact craters! What else would they be?

Agreed.

Why would the fact that they're impact craters lead you to believe that they need to be younger than creation itself?

Why would God create impact craters on a moon that has never had anything impact it?

Valles Marineris is an enormous canyon on Mars the size of the United States. Mars also has Olympus Mons, the largest mountain in the solar system. Do you think these features were not present when God created Mars? I think they were! At the very least, I have no good reason to think otherwise.

Agreed, at least as far as Olympus Mons is concerned. I'd have to do some more research on Valles Marineris to say for sure about it.

Impact craters, however, are usually caused by something impacting the surface of something, usually with enough force that would obliterate anything in the vicinity.

Seems not "very good" to me.

There are countless impact craters on Mercury that cannot be accounted for in less than billion of years of time

I think we all agree (you, RD, and I) that the universe was not in existence billions of years ago.

if the planet has been impacted by meteors at the rate that is currently happening.

This assumes that the rate has been constant (which is why secular scientists cannot rely too much on impact rates to support their belief of millions of years).

Do you suppose the meteors that impacted Mercury came from the same event that cratered the Moon?

Yes.

How about Callisto, one of Jupiter's moons? It too is very heavily cratered with impact craters that cannot be accounted for in anything less than billions of years of time if the moon started out with none.

Only at the current rate.

However, if one does not assume that the rate of impacts has always been constant, then the likelihood of a single event causing them goes up significantly, especially one 5300 years ago, or thereabouts.

Surely, Walt's theory cannot account for impact craters on a moon orbiting Jupiter.

Sure it can.

In fact, it states that most of the debris in orbit around Jupiter is from the Global Flood.

Also, in Jupiter's Lagrange points.

As I was writing this, I was reminded of a completely different cosmology called "Electric Universe Theory" or "Plasma Cosmology". Many think it's pseudo scientific, or at least they accusing it of being that, but I think it is at least as plausible as Walt Brown's Hydroplate Theory. I don't mean to suggest that the EUT speaks at all to the issue of Noah's flood, but if one wanted to reject the notion that the impact craters and other geological features we see in the solar system were present when God created those bodies, then, when it comes to explaining how those geologic features came to be, I find it to be at least as plausible (to put it mildly) as the idea that ejecta from Earth could account for any of it.

Jury's still out for me on plasma cosmology.

But I think Walt's HPT sufficiently explains the current state of the solar system.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
In fact, the smaller the body, the easier it would be for it to end up in a retrograde orbit because their orbits are so easily effected by gravitational effects of relatively close passes by large bodies in the solar system. Giving a small object the size of a comet a gravitational assist as it passes by Jupiter or Saturn is one excellent way to generate the sort of gravitation speeds necessary to either add or subtract momentum such that an object could end up in practically any orbit you can imagine.

Comets, in the grand scale of things, are pretty small.

Of course He did.

Saying it doesn't make it so, Clete. :p

People have been killed by pretty nearly everything that existed prior to the fall of Adam. Trees, insects, snakes, birds, rocks, sand, mud, water, fire, etc, etc.

Of course they have...

AFTER the Fall, which you and I both agree was not guaranteed.

What we're saying is that, just like trees, insects, snakes, birds, rocks, sand, mud, water, fire, etc. having killed people, meteorites killing people is ALSO a result of the Fall.

We could argue just as well that meteorites are just other "rocks" coming back to earth.

Let's say Adam never sinned, and God DID create asteroids, comets, meteors, etc., when He created the universe.

At some point, a rock somewhere in the solar system will fall to earth, potentially killing someone.

Rather dangerous, if you ask me.

Based on Scripture, would you say God is in the business of protecting people from harm? or does a fence that God builds tend to keep standing upright without Him holding it up?

Then, of course, there was this one particular tree that was pretty harmful.

Indeed, God doesn't protect people from the consequences of their actions, generally speaking.

Faulty premise, false conclusion.

God creating the universe and calling it "very good" is a faulty premise?

Yeah, it pretty much sounds like that's what you have to be implying, even if it isn't your intent.

But it's not what we're saying.

Here, in case it wasn't clear: God is fully capable of protecting His creation.

Whether He DOES or not is a separate matter entirely.

If God is going to make it so that the Earth cannot be destroyed by an impact from one of these objects, then they aren't threats to life on Earth and so where's the need for a special origin theory?

We're not talking about earth being destroyed.

The context is "meteorites have killed people."

Not, "meteorites can destroy the earth."

As I just pointed out to him in my last post. I felt like we were talking about "life on Earth" in the macro sense of that phrase.

Supra. RD (and I) mentioned that meteorites have killed people, making them dangerous objects. You're saying that God created the universe with such potentially dangerous objects, and that they're not the result of the Flood (our position).

Individuals are killed by God definitely created prior to Adam's fall on a daily basis.

What?

There was no death of any individual prior to the fall, last I was aware of...

Insects, plants, microbes, sure.

But animals and people? You're gonna have to back that up for me.

Again, faulty premise, false conclusion.

Fine.

You do agree, though, that meteorites capable of killing people makes them dangerous, yes?

The best other than that they were created by God along with every other item that exists in the universe.

I think God created a universe that was very good.

Not a universe that looks scarred from some disaster, despite it still being beautiful.

Derf

Let's say Adam never sinned, and God DID create asteroids, comets, meteors, etc., when He created the universe.

At some point, a rock somewhere in the solar system will fall to earth, potentially killing someone.
With rivers in the garden that flow out to water the whole earth, drowning seems more likely. I.e., even the very good creation you envision had a dangerous side. But Lucifer was supposed to be a protector, a "covering", which likely would have been a good protection against meteorites:
Ezekiel 28:14 KJV — Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.

As were other angels:
Psalm 91:9-12 KJV — Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.

By the way, I agree with you more than @Clete on this issue, but the Bible does not rule out the possibility of comets, etc., in a very good creation.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not for something on the scale of the flood.
That's subjective. You act as if it's objective when it isn't. There is room for nuance in the interpretation that could include a canopy.

Of course it's a figure of speech.

But it's describing what literally happened.

Fountains push water into the air.
Floodgates let water fall.
Geshem rain doesn't last for forty days.

So where did the rain come from?

The sluices of the heavens.
Where did the water behind those sluices come from?

The fountains of the great deep.
That's a viable interpretation. But it's still an interpretation that has room for variation depending on the evidence and there is evidence for a canopy.

No need to add anything to scripture.
Really? You are accusing me of adding to scripture because I don't necessarily agree with your interpretation? Are you sure you want to make that an issue? Adding to scripture is a serious offense, while not necessarily agreeing on the nuance of an interpretation of a figure is healthy. Godly even!

It's explained by the fountains of the great deep breaking forth.
Sure. And it could possibly also be explained by a canopy.

This idea falls apart when you remember that Moses wrote all of Genesis (barring the last few verses), not Noah.

Also, as far as we know, it didn't rain before the flood.

I was describing your view. For you to read that and say the idea falls apart is pretty funny. Here, read it again with underlining:

"It could also mean that every time it rained, at least to Noah, that he wanted to differentiate rain from normal watering he was used to since he hadn't seen rain like this before. So he added a phrase to let people know this wasn't the usual water the way they normally got it, but a crazy new form that came from the heavens in such great amounts it was like floodgates were opened."
You're missing the important part.

It's a cause and effect sequence.

Fountains broke forth.
Windows of heaven were opened.
Rain fell for forty days and nights.
You're missing the important part.

It's a cause and effect sequence.

Fountains broke forth.
Windows of heaven were opened.
Rain fell for forty days and nights.

... this is exactly what I say, with the implication that the fountains (cause) tore through the canopy (effect).

You know what a fountain is, and how it works.
You know what a sluice is, and how it works.
You know what rain is, but you don't know how it falls for forty days and nights.
OK. So far no different than how I'd say it...

A canopy cannot answer that question, not without appealing to miracles, which the Bible does not imply occurred. You have to read such a miracle or phenomena into the text in order for your belief to work.

HPT, on the other hand, can and does answer the question, and sufficiently, as to what "the windows of the heavens"
Answer the question about how it got destroyed? What are you talking about? Why does that take a miracle? What miracle are you talking about?

Except that the Bible doesn't say canopy.

It says Fountains of the Great Deep broke forth. Which means that water goes up into the air.
It says the Windows of the Heavens were opened. Which means that the water that went up, or at least some of it, came back down.
It says the geshem rain fell for forty days and forty nights.
It says that after those forty days and nights, the Windows of Heaven were closed, and the rain ceased, but the waters remained on the earth for another one hundred fifty days.

It doesn't say or allow for a canopy, of any kind.
Sure it does. It says 'windows of heaven' which was possibly a canopy. I'd speculate God didn't have to mention it separately because it was a technical detail of the atmosphere outside of the scope of the creation story.

No, it doesn't.
Sure it does. floodgates and sluices are things water is channeled through, which adds to the idea of a thing the water went through while water coming back down is an event not a thing.

A canopy cannot be opened or closed.
It can be ripped open. And all figures break down at some point and is well within understanding the destroyed canopy ending or stopping to mean closed.

Again, do we have a Hebrew scholar that can give us some more information here?

Saying it doesn't make it so, Yorzhik.
It certainly is so that 'windows of heaven' is a figure that needs to be interpreted because it could have some variation in what it's referring to. It could be referring to an event or to a feature of the atmosphere that changed.

But you have to read "canopy" into the text to get to that point. Eisegesis is not a good way to study the Bible.
The rain stopped long before the water receded explains the canopy just as well because it doesn't mean anything to a canopy at all at that point in the text.

You keep saying that the rain stopping before the water receded says something against the canopy. Can you spell that out? Clearly, as I've been describing the canopy, that couldn't mean anything to/about/for the canopy and in fact would be expected because it would probably have been a wispy thing that would have broken down quickly.

Who are you talking to? Since I've repeatedly, again and again, and with much redundancy said I don't support VPC, this isn't addressed to me.

But I'm willing to answer some questions in that section anyway:

What was the canopy made from? I'm not sure of the mix of elements that made it, but I would be more inclined to say there was some water involved, but it did not necessarily need any water at all.

What was its construction? I'd have even less speculation about this not knowing what it was made from, and knowing it did not necessarily need to have any water at all.

Was it fragile? Certainly. It probably would have taken a lot less than the fountains of the great deep ripping through it to take it down. It's just that before the flood nothing drastic enough to do that had happened.

Begging the question.
The reference was not to the canopy but to the sequence of events. Let me rephrase to make it clear:

"What are you talking about? Of course if there was a canopy it was ripped through before it came down. That's probably what would have brought the canopy down if it was there. I'm still not seeing why you think the rain happening after the fountains broke open does not allow for a canopy when that's exactly how a canopy being brought down would be described.

Notice this does not change the meaning of what I said, but still makes a statement that implies a question you did not answer.
If it was brought down, then why does Genesis 8:2 say that "the windows of heaven were also stopped", after it was supposedly brought down?
Because it's a figure that matches the previous one. Certainly something that was destroyed is stopped.

Again, it's a cause and effect sequence. Water launched into the air, water comes back down (as though floodgates were opened), and water continues coming down for forty days. After forty days, the waters remained on the earth for one hundred fifty days, despite the windows of heaven being closed.
What are you talking about? Why does what you say here matter to the canopy as I've described it? What you are saying here is exactly what I say, so it's nothing against what I say just because you say it.

I think there is a communication disconnect where you think this somehow means something about/for/against the idea of a canopy. I can't figure out what it is though.

Let me try going through each part:
it's a cause and effect sequence
It certainly is.

Water launched into the air, water comes back down (as though floodgates were opened), and water continues coming down for forty days
Exactly. And this is where the canopy got destroyed. Opened, like a piece of glass, as it were.

After forty days, the waters remained on the earth for one hundred fifty days, despite the windows of heaven being closed.
Yes. I describe it with exactly the same words in the same order. The canopy was gone after 40 days, changing the atmosphere from then on.

Maybe the disconnect is in the word "despite". 'Despite' what? I'd say "despite the rain stopping the great deep continued to empty".

There's no reason to assume "canopy."
There is no reason to assume a canopy just because the rain stopped after 40 days. There is a reason to speculate there was a possible canopy because the windows of heaven are mentioned, which is a figure that could very well include a canopy, and there are clues about differences in a pre-flood atmosphere that could have their explanation in a canopy.

And just one more note: Moses wrote Genesis, but he could have very likely gotten an account of the flood from something Noah wrote. Bob Ball, I don't know if you remember him but he was a rocket scientist that used to frequent TOL before his passing and was a YEC, a strong advocate for many topics you would agree with including HPT. He was a friend and supporter of Bob Enyart and they spoke face to face on occasion because both Bobs were in South Bend where Enyart did his TV show for a while. Bob Ball was an advocate for the tablet theory, although he never mentioned Wiseman, he did link to a Curt Sewell article, where Wiseman is brought up, that I think explains it at least as well as wiki. But either way, if it were God that was dictating to Moses or if Moses was editing a compilation of the tablets he had, the style of the flood account itself is somewhat more a log book and less prose according to Bob (either Bob if I recall), and in any case is an account of what happened to Noah and how Noah would have written the account if he wrote it down.

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Why would God create impact craters on a moon that has never had anything impact it?
For the same reason He created fully mature trees, rivers with river rocks in them and beaches with sand and huge cliffs made from lime stone and a thousand other things that present the Earth as mature.

Agreed, at least as far as Olympus Mons is concerned. I'd have to do some more research on Valles Marineris to say for sure about it.
Well, I just brought them up as major examples of major geological features that would seem to have no explanation other than, "God made it that way.", if the universe was created 6000 years ago, as we both believe and as the Hydroplate Theory presupposes.

Impact craters, however, are usually caused by something impacting the surface of something, usually with enough force that would obliterate anything in the vicinity.
We have proof of super novas that occurred in galaxies that are multiple millions of light years away. To use your line of reasoning, super novas are usually caused by exploding stars. I, for one, don't have any problem with believing that God created the universe with already exploded stars in it and then created the light from those exploded objects in such a manner that permits us to see the explosion happen some 6000 years later.

The thing I have to keep in mind, however, is that this kind of thinking can easily lead to the creation of an unfalsifiable worldview where I allow myself to toss anything I want into the "God did it." catch all bin of things I don't want to have to explain. But I'm intellectually honest enough to not only be aware of this danger and to careful not to allow myself to go too far down that road, which translates to holding such beliefs at arms length, know that they could be wrong and not allowing myself to be dogmatic about them.

Seems not "very good" to me.
How so?

Aren't you begging the question there?

First of all, an object impacting the moon poses no threat to anyone and I have no doubt that God would have prevented any impacts from being harmful on the Earth, or from happening at all, prior to the fall of Adam.

I think we all agree (you, RD, and I) that the universe was not in existence billions of years ago.
Absolutely. Otherwise my point wouldn't hold.

This assumes that the rate has been constant (which is why secular scientists cannot rely too much on impact rates to support their belief of millions of years).
For you to assume otherwise would be to beg the question.

Yes.

Only at the current rate.

However, if one does not assume that the rate of impacts has always been constant, then the likelihood of a single event causing them goes up significantly, especially one 5300 years ago, or thereabouts.

Sure it can.

In fact, it states that most of the debris in orbit around Jupiter is from the Global Flood.

Also, in Jupiter's Lagrange points.
Where's the :doh: smiley when you need it!

I flatly reject the notion that ANY object that was geologically ejected from the surface of the Earth could possibly make it to Jupiter, never mind the trillions of objects that it would take to account for the cratering on just one of its moons, which would, by definition, have to be a tiny percentage of the whole mass of the objects that made it that far, and trillions of more objects making it to Mercury would be even more difficult!

Also, if this were even close to true, our Moon would be, by far and away, the most heavily cratered object in the solar system not a moon that's 480 million miles away.

Sorry, but it just goes from implausible to utterly impossible for this to have happened. There's just no way!

Jury's still out for me on plasma cosmology.
For me as well.

But I think Walt's HPT sufficiently explains the current state of the solar system.
A modified version of both put together might be interesting to consider. If plasma cosmology is even partially correct, it could go a long way toward explaining, not only the cratered surfaces of planets and moons but a great many geological features throughout the solar system. It would also provide a whole new set of possibilities when it comes to triggering events for the beginning of Noah's flood and would do away with the need to postulate that geological forces on Earth could be sufficient to create billions of craters on bodies throughout our solar system.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Comets, in the grand scale of things, are pretty small.

Saying it doesn't make it so, Clete. :p

Of course they have...

AFTER the Fall, which you and I both agree was not guaranteed.

What we're saying is that, just like trees, insects, snakes, birds, rocks, sand, mud, water, fire, etc. having killed people, meteorites killing people is ALSO a result of the Fall.

We could argue just as well that meteorites are just other "rocks" coming back to earth.

Rather dangerous, if you ask me.

Based on Scripture, would you say God is in the business of protecting people from harm? or does a fence that God builds tend to keep standing upright without Him holding it up?

Indeed, God doesn't protect people from the consequences of their actions, generally speaking.

God creating the universe and calling it "very good" is a faulty premise?

But it's not what we're saying.

Here, in case it wasn't clear: God is fully capable of protecting His creation.

Whether He DOES or not is a separate matter entirely.

We're not talking about earth being destroyed.

The context is "meteorites have killed people."

Not, "meteorites can destroy the earth."

Supra. RD (and I) mentioned that meteorites have killed people, making them dangerous objects. You're saying that God created the universe with such potentially dangerous objects, and that they're not the result of the Flood (our position).

What?

There was no death of any individual prior to the fall, last I was aware of...

Insects, plants, microbes, sure.

But animals and people? You're gonna have to back that up for me.

Fine.

You do agree, though, that meteorites capable of killing people makes them dangerous, yes?

I think God created a universe that was very good.

Not a universe that looks scarred from some disaster, despite it still being beautiful.
I'm out of time so forgive the abreviated response....

I didn't merely "say so", I made an argument. An argument that you did not understand.

People are killed by natural objects and processes every single day. That cannot be disputed. People were not killed by any of those objects or processes prior to the fall. That also is not in dispute and my argument was not implying otherwise. On the contrary, my argument presupposed that fact!

If mud could exist prior to the fall without killing anyone, then why couldn't meteors, comets and asteroids also exist prior to the fall without killing anyone?

Put another way, if meteors killing people is proof that they couldn't have existed prior to the fall, then why isn't the fact that someone has been killed by mud proof that there was no mud on planet Earth prior to the fall?

The logic simply doesn't follow.

The fact that someone might get killed by something today, is not even evidence that it didn't exist prior to the fall.

Right Divider

Body part
For the same reason He created fully mature trees, rivers with river rocks in them and beaches with sand and huge cliffs made from lime stone and a thousand other things that present the Earth as mature.
I don't find those two things to be equivalent.

Firstly, how do you know that "rivers with river rocks in them and beaches with sand and huge cliffs made from lime stone" existed at the creation?

Secondly, impact craters show object impacts that never happened. Fully mature trees don't present such an issue.

Last edited:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What evidence is there for a canopy?
The air before the flood could be better for life if it is at a higher pressure depending on the mix. And we can be pretty sure the mix was different before the flood, especially that the % of co2 was relatively higher.

UV filtering would be helpful to life in many scenarios.

More even temperatures could be helped by a canopy especially if the tilt of the earth was less, but that isn't necessary. And it isn't a matter of making the whole earth perfectly the same "perfect" temperature, but making more parts able to team with life.

And, as always, I've read the book, so there is no need to link it. Everything I've listed here is either not addressed or the argument against has a lot of unknown externalities.

Right Divider

Body part
The air before the flood could be better for life if it is at a higher pressure depending on the mix. And we can be pretty sure the mix was different before the flood, especially that the % of co2 was relatively higher.

UV filtering would be helpful to life in many scenarios.

More even temperatures could be helped by a canopy especially if the tilt of the earth was less, but that isn't necessary. And it isn't a matter of making the whole earth perfectly the same "perfect" temperature, but making more parts able to team with life.

And, as always, I've read the book, so there is no need to link it. Everything I've listed here is either not addressed or the argument against has a lot of unknown externalities.
Nothing that you listed here is evidence. It's purely speculation.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I don't find those two things to be equivalent.

Firstly, how do you know that "rivers with river rocks in them and beaches with sand and huge cliffs made from lime stone" existed at the creation?
The same way I know that Adam and Eve didn't have to wait for seeds to germinate and grow into fruit bearing trees or wonder around in a barren landscape waiting for the vegetation to grow. Likewise, there is all kinds of wildlife that require river rock, gravel, sand, silt and every other kind of worn down and eroded rock in order to live and reproduce. In short, the Earth needed to have been somewhat similar to the way it is today in order for life to live on it. God certainly wasn't keeping everything alive super-naturally. Animals had to eat and reproduce and thus had to have an environment that permitted that to happen. Sea Turtles would almost certainly have laid their eggs in the sand before the fall just as they do today. Salmon would have spawned in rivers that were full of gravel. Crawfish would have lived under river rocks. Worms would have crawled through the silt and mud. Etc.

And, as for the source for limestone, I think it's debatable either way. Maybe it was created somehow in the flood and maybe it preexisted as just one more aspect of the mature Earth that God created, maybe some of both.

It seems to me that most Christians haven't given sufficient thought to the starting conditions of the Earth and tend to presuppose that things started in a much more nascent state than is necessary to believe or that they even have good reason to believe. They seem to be unaware of the fact that they are making assumptions about the state of the newly created Earth that may or may not be true. The creation of the Earth was a super-natural event and God could have created it in any state He decided to create it in. He would have been fully aware, for example, that plankton and diatoms would, under certain conditions, turn into what we today call limestone and He may have decided that He liked limestone and thought it would be nice to have big magnificent cliffs of white rock in a place or two around the globe. In other words, there isn't any need for Christians to find an explanation for everything someone finds that looks old. It isn't necessary, for example, to explain where gold comes from or how diamonds are formed from within a young Earth paradigm. It borders on conceding the atheist's premise to act as if there needs to be a naturalistic explanation for every single thing. Nature was started super-naturally and so there may well be aspects of nature that defy naturalistic explanation for their origin.

Secondly, impact craters show object impacts that never happened. Fully mature trees show don't present such an issue.
Why is it an issue?

We have witnessed multiple supernovas in other galaxies. Galaxies that are tens of millions of light years away from here. There isn't any possibility other than that God created that galaxy with stars that were already in an exploded state along with the light from that explosion in a position that was 99.97% of the way between the pre-creation exploded star and our eye balls, which then traveled the remaining 6000 or so light years so we could see it. How is that any different than supposing that the Moon's craters were mostly all there when God created the Moon?

Derf

What does China have to do with this?
There are lots of things not mentioned in scripture that still happened.
Why couldn't that be the result of Earth's Flood?

I mean, Earth IS the only place in the solar system that is mostly liquid water on it's surface...
It could have been. But just because it could have originated with the earth, parts of which you say can be blasted to the far reaches of our solar system, doesnt mean other planeys couldnt experience similar events, maybe even as part of Noah's flood event.
Not necessarily.

Remember how, in the Garden, there was a natural spring that was the source of a massive river, that left the garden, and split into four rivers that watered the whole earth?

Yeah, that one.

What do you think powered that spring?

The tides of the moon.

Guess where that spring was located.

Yeah, that's right, right within a garden that the only tenants were kicked out of, who were supposed to tend the garden.

Guess what happens when a garden is left untended.

It becomes overgrown. More on this in a moment...

The estimation is that the crust of the earth was about 60 miles thick, originally.

Currently, the crust is only about 9-12 miles thick, on average.

The crust is relatively thin, compared to the rest of the earth, even at 60 miles thick.

As I pointed out to Yorzhik, Noah didn't write Genesis. Moses did.
From what sources?
Coming back to what I was saying above...

Overgrown plants tend to have deep roots, ESPECIALLY when they have a good source of water from which to drink.
Actually, if they have plenty of surface water, they don't need to root as deeply. Walt Brown might not be as knowledgeable in botany.
Read Ezekiel 31 again.

Don't worry about the bit about Egypt. That's the primary message of the passage, which isn't important in this context. Focus on what is being described.

A tree.

In the garden of Eden.

One that had become very overgrown, because of a good source of water.

Can you think of any trees in the Bible that this might describe?

How about the other, more figurative descriptions?

‘Therefore its height was exalted above all the trees of the field;Its boughs were multiplied,And its branches became long because of the abundance of water,As it sent them out. All the birds of the heavens made their nests in its boughs;Under its branches all the beasts of the field brought forth their young;And in its shadow all great nations made their home. ‘Thus it was beautiful in greatness and in the length of its branches,Because its roots reached to abundant waters. The cedars in the garden of God could not hide it;The fir trees were not like its boughs,And the chestnut trees were not like its branches;No tree in the garden of God was like it in beauty. I made it beautiful with a multitude of branches,So that all the trees of Eden envied it,That were in the garden of God.’ “Therefore thus says the Lord God: ‘Because you have increased in height, and it set its top among the thick boughs, and its heart was lifted up in its height, therefore I will deliver it into the hand of the mighty one of the nations, and he shall surely deal with it; I have driven it out for its wickedness.

A weird way to describe a tree, don't you think? Unless the tree is symbolic for something else... But if I tell you for what, it'll spoil the answer to the above question, so for now, I'll leave it at that.
Kind of like this tree:
Daniel 4:10-15 KJV — Thus were the visions of mine head in my bed; I saw, and behold a tree in the midst of the earth, and the height thereof was great. The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the end of all the earth: The leaves thereof were fair, and the fruit thereof much, and in it was meat for all: the beasts of the field had shadow under it, and the fowls of the heaven dwelt in the boughs thereof, and all flesh was fed of it. I saw in the visions of my head upon my bed, and, behold, a watcher and an holy one came down from heaven; He cried aloud, and said thus, Hew down the tree, and cut off his branches, shake off his leaves, and scatter his fruit: let the beasts get away from under it, and the fowls from his branches: Nevertheless leave the stump of his roots in the earth, even with a band of iron and brass, in the tender grass of the field; and let it be wet with the dew of heaven, and let his portion be with the beasts in the grass of the earth:

Or this bramble:
Judges 9:14-15 KJV — Then said all the trees unto the bramble, Come thou, and reign over us. And the bramble said unto the trees, If in truth ye anoint me king over you, then come and put your trust in my shadow: and if not, let fire come out of the bramble, and devour the cedars of Lebanon.

No.

Explained in the link.
Yes, but what was shown wad not enough to get past the coincidental nature. Your 100 years, though a great effort, doesn't help it either.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nothing that you listed here is evidence. It's purely speculation.
That isn't quite accurate. There is speculation, but it isn't pure speculation. The environment before the flood carried a lot more vegetation over a much larger area. It had to account for longer living and larger bodies in animals and insects. This suggests there may have been a different mix of gasses that made the pre-flood air, possibly more even temperatures, and possibly the filtering of UV light. All these things together could be helped by having a more controlled environment, at higher pressure, suggesting a canopy as a possible solution to account for these differences.

Right Divider

Body part
That isn't quite accurate. There is speculation, but it isn't pure speculation.
I wasn't trying to specify the type of speculation, but that it was "just simply speculation" and NOT evidence.
The environment before the flood carried a lot more vegetation over a much larger area. It had to account for longer living and larger bodies in animals and insects. This suggests there may have been a different mix of gasses that made the pre-flood air, possibly more even temperatures, and possibly the filtering of UV light. All these things together could be helped by having a more controlled environment, at higher pressure, suggesting a canopy as a possible solution to account for these differences.
I agree that the composition of the atmosphere was probably a lot different, but that does not neccesarily require a higher atmospheric pressure. You are claiming "higher pressure", but again no evidence of that supposed fact.

Last edited:

Right Divider

Body part
The same way I know that Adam and Eve didn't have to wait for seeds to germinate and grow into fruit bearing trees or wonder around in a barren landscape waiting for the vegetation to grow.
We agree. This is pretty obvious.
Likewise, there is all kinds of wildlife that require river rock, gravel, sand, silt and every other kind of worn down and eroded rock in order to live and reproduce.
Again, this assumes that then and now are nearly identical. But we know that something changed quite dramatically between then and now.
In short, the Earth needed to have been somewhat similar to the way it is today in order for life to live on it.
In some ways, yes. In other ways, no.
God certainly wasn't keeping everything alive super-naturally. Animals had to eat and reproduce and thus had to have an environment that permitted that to happen. Sea Turtles would almost certainly have laid their eggs in the sand before the fall just as they do today.
How do we know that there were Sea Turtles at the beginning?
Salmon would have spawned in rivers that were full of gravel. Crawfish would have lived under river rocks. Worms would have crawled through the silt and mud. Etc.
How do we know that those things were all so similar then as now?
And, as for the source for limestone, I think it's debatable either way. Maybe it was created somehow in the flood and maybe it preexisted as just one more aspect of the mature Earth that God created, maybe some of both.
And, it's easy to simply claim that "God did it that way" without any supporting evidence.
It seems to me that most Christians haven't given sufficient thought to the starting conditions of the Earth and tend to presuppose that things started in a much more nascent state than is necessary to believe or that they even have good reason to believe.
Unless the Bible is explicit, we are all going to have ideas that may or may not be true about the early earth.
They seem to be unaware of the fact that they are making assumptions about the state of the newly created Earth that may or may not be true.
Exactly!
The creation of the Earth was a super-natural event and God could have created it in any state He decided to create it in. He would have been fully aware, for example, that plankton and diatoms would, under certain conditions, turn into what we today call limestone and He may have decided that He liked limestone and thought it would be nice to have big magnificent cliffs of white rock in a place or two around the globe.
Or maybe He did not create limestone at all during the 6 days.
In other words, there isn't any need for Christians to find an explanation for everything someone finds that looks old. It isn't necessary, for example, to explain where gold comes from or how diamonds are formed from within a young Earth paradigm. It borders on conceding the atheist's premise to act as if there needs to be a naturalistic explanation for every single thing. Nature was started super-naturally and so there may well be aspects of nature that defy naturalistic explanation for their origin.
I mostly agree, but we need to be careful not to simply say "God did it that way" when we don't really know for sure how it happened.
Why is it an issue?
Again, because we can see impacts that create craters and that is what they look like. To simply say "God created it what way" without any support is just a claim without any evidence.
We have witnessed multiple supernovas in other galaxies. Galaxies that are tens of millions of light years away from here. There isn't any possibility other than that God created that galaxy with stars that were already in an exploded state along with the light from that explosion in a position that was 99.97% of the way between the pre-creation exploded star and our eye balls, which then traveled the remaining 6000 or so light years so we could see it.
Some of us believe that the stretching forth of the heavens can explain this just fine.
How is that any different than supposing that the Moon's craters were mostly all there when God created the Moon?
There is a great deal of speculation on both sides. I believe that Dr. Brown's explanation is consistent with what we know about our environment and the physical laws that govern it. Claiming that "God did it what way" needs some more support.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I wasn't trying to specify the type of speculation, but that it was "just simply speculation" and NOT evidence.

I agree that the composition of the atmosphere was probably a lot different, but that does not require a higher atmospheric pressure. You are claiming "higher pressure", but again no evidence of that supposed fact.
You simply don't know the difference between evidence and speculation. Evidence is a statement about how things were, or plausibly were, whether you agree with it or not. Speculation is guessing (intuiting) or reasoning why things were that way. You are confusing the speculation with the evidence.

The evidence is how things were before the flood. Everything I included are either agreed to by you (and JR) or just as plausible as your competing idea about how things were. They include: a lot more vegetation over a much larger area, longer living and larger bodies in animals and insects, a different mix of gasses that made the pre-flood air, more even temperatures around the globe, and the filtering of UV light.

The speculation is what accounts for these possibilities. I'm speculating a canopy had something to do with it.

Right Divider

Body part
You simply don't know the difference between evidence and speculation. Evidence is a statement about how things were, or plausibly were, whether you agree with it or not. Speculation is guessing (intuiting) or reasoning why things were that way. You are confusing the speculation with the evidence.
No, I am not.

evidence
noun
ev·i·dence ˈe-və-dən(t)s
-və-ˌden(t)s
a
: an outward sign : indication
b
: something that furnishes proof : testimony
specifically : something legally submitted to a tribunal to ascertain the truth of a matter

The evidence is how things were before the flood.
You are claiming things that you do not know. That is not evidence.
Everything I included are either agreed to by you (and JR) or just as plausible as your competing idea about how things were.
Again, give us some evidence that a canopy existed.
They include: a lot more vegetation over a much larger area, longer living and larger bodies in animals and insects, a different mix of gasses that made the pre-flood air, more even temperatures around the globe, and the filtering of UV light.
The evidence for more vegetation in the past are the deposits in the ground that we can find today. The evidence for "larger bodies in animals and insects" can, once again, be found in the ground.

What is the evidence that there was "filtering of UV light"? You do not have evidence for that.
The speculation is what accounts for these possibilities. I'm speculating a canopy had something to do with it.
Again, you need to provide some evidence that there was a canopy and not simply make the claim without evidence.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
We agree. This is pretty obvious.

Again, this assumes that then and now are nearly identical.
Nearly identical is probably overstated. Substantially similar would do.

But we know that something changed quite dramatically between then and now.

In some ways, yes. In other ways, no.

How do we know that there were Sea Turtles at the beginning?
Sea Turtles exist now, creation was finished at the end of day six and evolution is a myth. Therefore, Sea Turtles existence at the beginning.

How do we know that those things were all so similar then as now?
Why would you assume they weren't?

And, it's easy to simply claim that "God did it that way" without any supporting evidence.
Quite so! But without any evidence supporting the contrary, it is the best place to start. This is the world that God made.

Unless the Bible is explicit, we are all going to have ideas that may or may not be true about the early earth.
That is just precisely my point and it is an excellent thing to remind yourself of when discussing possible theories about the origin of various phenomena.

Or maybe He did not create limestone at all during the 6 days.
Quite true!

I'm not suggesting that its wrong to think about such thing and to see if a scientific understanding can be achieved. I'm merely saying that we have to careful about the assumptions we are making and be aware of the fact that the questions we are asking MAY not have naturalistic answers.

I mostly agree, but we need to be careful not to simply say "God did it that way" when we don't really know for sure how it happened.
I agree completely. It's something of a tightrope walk. You have to be careful not to get mentally lazy and allow yourself to just start flippantly throwing difficult issues into the "God did it" catch all bin.

Again, because we can see impacts that create craters and that is what they look like. To simply say "God created it what way" without any support is just a claim without any evidence.
It isn't!

There are trillions and trillions of craters on just own moon alone, trillions more on I don't even know how many other bodies in this single solar system. It is at least as plausible to suggest that these bodies were created that way as it is to suggest that some geological event on Earth caused them all! It isn't a lot different than the irreducible complexity argument. If something can't have happened in some naturalist fashion then God is the only logical option. That's particularly true if you're coming at the question from a "Young Earth" paradigm that teaches that the universe is less than 10,000 years old.

Some of us believe that the stretching forth of the heavens can explain this just fine.
Precisely my point!

Perhaps you're not seeing it.

Supernova remnants are to supernovas as craters are to impacts. Supernova remnants (like the Crab Nebula for example) are the celestial "craters" that are left behind by the "impact" of a star exploding. You're arguing that the fact that craters are made by impacts suggests that they were not there at the beginning but you have no trouble accepting that objects like the Cassiopeia A exist without having had an actual star explode.

There is a great deal of speculation on both sides. I believe that Dr. Brown's explanation is consistent with what we know about our environment and the physical laws that govern it. Claiming that "God did it what way" needs some more support.
I don't disagree with you here, really. I'm very skeptical that a geological event on Earth could possibly account for the things Walt Brown proposes that it accounts for but, otherwise, I think his theory is brilliant. It's certainly far better than Uniformitarianism, geologic evolution and Plate Tectonics!