Is the King James Bible Infallible? King James Onlyism Exposed.

Mocking You

Well, no boundary, to my mind. And yes, if I were a Christian astronaut, on a mission to the dark side of the moon, and the Bible said it was made of cheese,

I never meant to imply the Bible said the moon was made of cheese. My example of using the argument saying God can do anything renders any debate moot. There's no rebuttal. It's a variation on the Celestial Teapot argument.

kayaker

I've been collecting them over the years. I've got a KJV/NIV parallel Bible so I find a lot of them. I've got a list in a document on my PC that will keep us busy for days but I'm not near my PC right now.

Here's some from memory:

Deuteronomy 8:9 KJV
A land wherein thou shalt eat bread without scarceness, thou shalt not lack any thing in it; a land whose stones are iron, and out of whose hills thou mayest dig brass.

Deuteronomy 8:9 NIV
a land where bread will not be scarce and you will lack nothing; a land where the rocks are iron and you can dig copper out of the hills.

Note: Brass is a man-made alloy consisting of copper and zinc. You can't dig brass out of the ground!

Ecclesiastes 11:1 KJV
Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days.

Care to tell me exactly what this verse is saying, without consulting a commentary or a different translation?

Thanks, Mock!

I'll cautiously suggest that I can't see any real significance between the verses in Deuteronomy. WonderfulLordJesus seems to think there may be some relevance that brass has been mined. I wasn't aware of this, metallurgy is definitely NOT in my skill set... It would be interesting to find if brass actually was mined in that area. There is mention that Cain's great---grandson Tubal-cain was an "artificer in brass" (Genesis 4:22 KJV). The land in question was originally given to Canaan (and Ham), later to become the Promised Land.

The Jewish theologians suggest these metals were used for weapons, yet they proffer then near-blind Lamech accidentally shot Cain with an arrow, metal arrow-head I suppose, during a hunting accident as Lamech's direction was dictated by his son, Tubal-cain. That's rather bizarre extrapolation from Genesis 4:23 KJV... so Lamech accidentally killed Cain, blamed Tubal-cain... and, beat his son to death for the misdirection. That's the kinda stuff Apostle Paul defected from, btw.

I've looked at Ecclesiastes 11:1 KJV as you suggested. Not in my skill set. Sounds rather prophetic, and prophesies tend to inherently leave a little wobble room, respectfully. I haven't looked to see if there is any difference in the NIV translation. But, no doubt there are considerable translation differences as you've pointed out. I admire your studious endeavor in that regard. Possibly you can filter through and see which disparities involve rather significant events, like Noah's tent, for instance? Genesis 4:23 KJV is another one of those pivotal cases that sorta leaves me scratching my head... I just doesn't add up that Cain was never punished, he was told he would be, but not that I can find... he had a family, and built a city. Just doesn't add up. But, filter through those you've stored, and toss a few out. Let's take a look-see!

kayaker

kayaker

I never meant to imply the Bible said the moon was made of cheese. My example of using the argument saying God can do anything renders any debate moot. There's no rebuttal. It's a variation on the Celestial Teapot argument.

With all due respect... it ain't made of cheese... I went there once when I was in college, and... you know! LOL! I'm an ole Pink Floyd fan. Maybe WonderfulLordJesus can take a look at mining data from the middle-east, surf it up... definitely has my curiosity up. The Jews suggest Lamech killed Cain with a mis-placed arrow... I suggest Lamech used the Samuri sword (made by the artificer, Tubal-cain), and took Cain out execution style! Well, it does sound befitting, but God already spared Cain's life. I proffer Cain was executed for violating parole and siring a son, and building a city, contrary to being a fugitive and a vagabond!

kayaker

kayaker

John Wycliffe set the tone for the Authorized Version with seventy percent of its words translated from the Hebrew, Greek and Latin.

I'm not familiar with the AV, either. Couldn't figure it out on biblehub. How does the AV translate Matthew 1:5 KJV v. Matthew 1:5 NIV; Genesis 9:22 KJV v. Genesis 9:22 NIV, and Genesis 4:23 KJV v. Genesis 4:23 NIV? These are three very pivotal verses in my feeble theology.

Thanks,

kayaker

Mocking You

Admiration or Astonishment? Are we to believe John looked upon the Great Whore of Rev. 17:6 with admiration?

Rev. 17:6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration. [KJV]

Rev. 17:6 I saw that the woman was drunk with the blood of God’s holy people, the blood of those who bore testimony to Jesus. When I saw her, I was greatly astonished. [NIV]

Daniel1611

Admiration or Astonishment? Are we to believe John looked upon the Great Whore of Rev. 17:6 with admiration?

Rev. 17:6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration. [KJV]

Rev. 17:6 I saw that the woman was drunk with the blood of God’s holy people, the blood of those who bore testimony to Jesus. When I saw her, I was greatly astonished. [NIV]

Merriam-Webster, bro. The first definition says "wonder." Great wonder and great astonishment both mean the same thing.

Mocking You

Merriam-Webster, bro. The first definition says "wonder." Great wonder and great astonishment both mean the same thing.

LOL. You just totally skipped over the word "admiration"!

Merriam Webster, bro.

Admiration: noun a feeling of great respect and approval

Daniel1611

LOL. You just skipped over the word "admiration" totally! Nice.

Merriam Webster, bro.

Admiration: noun a feeling of great respect and approval

What? I am telling you that the first definition of "admiration" in Merriam-Webster is "wonder." You're saying "admiration" is not the same as "astonishment." Merriam-Webster disagrees with you. Look up a word's definition before you say it's incorrect.

Mocking You

Admiration

1. archaic : wonder
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/admiration

This would be the usage in the KJV.

Ah yes, I forgot. I'm supposed to have my 1828 Webster's dictionary with me at all times when I read the KJV.

So, this verse says, in essence:

Rev. 17:6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great wonder. [KJV]

Daniel1611

Ah yes, I forgot. I'm supposed to have my 1828 Webster's dictionary with me at all times when I read the KJV.

So, this verse says, in essence:

Rev. 17:6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great wonder. [KJV]

You don't need an 1828 dictionary. A modern day Webster's dictionary or Merriam-Webster.com will work. It's the first definition. Or just type "define admiration" into Google.

Mocking You

You don't need an 1828 dictionary. A modern day Webster's dictionary or Merriam-Webster.com will work. It's the first definition. Or just type "define admiration" into Google.

Why? Why should I need a dictionary of archaic definitions or Google to understand the Bible?

Simon Baker

BANNED
Banned
I've been collecting them over the years. I've got a KJV/NIV parallel Bible so I find a lot of them. I've got a list in a document on my PC that will keep us busy for days but I'm not near my PC right now.

Here's some from memory:

Deuteronomy 8:9 KJV
A land wherein thou shalt eat bread without scarceness, thou shalt not lack any thing in it; a land whose stones are iron, and out of whose hills thou mayest dig brass.

Deuteronomy 8:9 NIV
a land where bread will not be scarce and you will lack nothing; a land where the rocks are iron and you can dig copper out of the hills.

Note: Brass is a man-made alloy consisting of copper and zinc. You can't dig brass out of the ground!

Ecclesiastes 11:1 KJV
Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days.
Care to tell me exactly what this verse is saying, without consulting a commentary or a different translation?

Seeds ? BTW, Ecclesiastes Is Not Necessarily God's Word, From Solomon. Solomon's Own Words

kayaker

Very interesting! I suspect a non-Christian onlooker would arrive at the notion John had some form of envy, so to speak, per the KJV. The word "astonished" seems to have either positive or negative connotation in my feeble mind, although a similar word "astonied" was used by Ezra in v. 3 from Ezra 9:1 KJV, Ezra 9:2 KJV, Ezra 9:3 KJV. "Astonied" had a very negative connotation in the theme of that verse, and I did scratch my head for a moment on that one. Then, comparing "astonied" in the third verse KJV with Ezra 9:3 NIV, I suspect "appalled" would be a better term for Revelation 17:6 KJV, and Revelation 17:6 NIV, capturing a more negative connotation as I gather in the theme of this verse in Revelation.

Possibly stretching the point a bit... I do 'admire' the skill of the last ping-pong player who defeated me! Well, he knew he was challenged, LOL! In fact, the last lady of the evening who approached me... to say I didn't 'admire' her would be a lie! I was rather 'astonished' with her beauty. But, that's all I did besides smile, extend my gratitude... and, a backwards glance. Some would be 'astonished' that I didn't cash out on that queen of the evening! While others would be 'appalled' if I had.

I do give a slight preference to the use of "astonished" in the NIV. But, I think the theme dictates the negative connotation, and the KJV requires a little more 'humor.' The KJV does cause me to scratch my head, but only for a moment considering the theme. The word "great" and "greatly" preceding "admiration" and "astonishment" almost lend a positive connotation to both words.

My cent-and-a-half... Thanks!

kayaker