Is scripture the infallible Word Of God?

Truster

The problem with this is; what happens when there is no longer any sin? The power you are describing is in relation to redemption, and I totally agree, but I don't think that is its only purpose and I believe it will survive long after this world has disappeared.

It's called the eternal word for that reason.

Cruciform

Tradition which is totally and inarguably based upon scripture not the other way around.
In fact, Tradition came before Scripture, so you have it exactly backwards. In any case both Scripture and Tradition comprise "God's Word" (Divine Revelation).

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In fact, Tradition came before Scripture, so you have it exactly backwards. In any case both Scripture and Tradition comprise "God's Word" (Divine Revelation).
Men wrote as instructed by the Spirit of God. That is not tradition.

2 Peter 1:20-21 New King James Version (NKJV)

20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation,[a] 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Tradition preceded the biblical documents and informed their composition. Again, both Scripture and Tradition are "God's Word."

The Spirit of God informed men of what scripture was.

2 Peter 1:20-21 New King James Version (NKJV)

20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation,
21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

Logos1560

According to Scripture, the traditions of men are not infallible and do not comprise God's word.

Traditions of men are not God's word.

The Scriptures condemn setting aside the commandments of God or the word of God in order to follow traditions of men. (Mark 7:7-9).

Cruciform

According to Scripture, the traditions of men are not infallible and do not comprise God's word.
I was not referring to "traditions of men" which the New Testament condemns, but rather Apostolic Tradition which the New Testament commends and even commands (1 Cor. 11:2; 2 Thess. 2:15, etc.).

Traditions of men are not God's word.
But Apostolic Tradition IS God's word.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

The CC doesn't teach the traditions of men?
No, that comes from the myriad recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sects in existence today, with more being concocted every week, and which teach unbiblical man-made traditions of men such as sola scriptura, "believers-only" baptism, sola fide, etc.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, that comes from the myriad recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sects in existence today, with more being concocted every week, and which teach unbiblical man-made traditions of men such as sola scriptura, "believers-only" baptism, sola fide, etc.

So you are saying to believe the Bible as final authority is unbiblical?

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
If the scriptures were inspired, and not the men, the fact that "holy men of God were moved" is moot and we should remove this information from our Bibles as it is apparently unnecessary.

Dictation is the only possibility if the men were not inspired and they need not have been "holy" or "moved" at all, only accurate.

Cruciform

So you are saying to believe the Bible as final authority is unbiblical?
I'm saying that the notion that ONLY the Bible is the Christian's final authority is unbiblical, as is demonstrated here. If you believe in sola scriptura, then you should reject sola scriptura, since the Bible nowhere teaches sola scriptura.

False Prophet

In vain do these people worship me teaching the doctrines and traditions of men.
‘But in vain do they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.’”
Matt 15:9
I tried to write my own Bible, but it didn't come out too good. Why don't you get a pair of scissors and cut out verses of scripture out of your Douay Rheims.
7 Hypocrites, well hath Isaias prophesied of you, saying:
8 This people honoureth me with their lips: but their heart is far from me.
9 And in vain do they worship me, teaching doctrines and commandments of men.

I'm using your Bible! Does your bible say that if you add to the Word of God then your worship is in vain?
3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to that doctrine which is according to godliness,
4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but sick about questions and strifes of words; from which arise envies, contentions, blasphemies, evil suspicions,
5 Conflicts of men corrupted in mind, and who are destitute of the truth, supposing gain to be godliness.
1 tim 6
They are conceited; knowing nothing. They come out with their controversial questions: Christians can't have demons, that's sinless perfection, you can't be full of the Spirit of God and the spirit of the Devil. You read in Revelation where Babylon is a dwelling place of demons, because the stain glass windows did not keep them out.

False Prophet

I used to have my books, and my mother had her books; so we put the together, and we had our own library. Stacks and stacks of books were put on shelves to make up our own little library in the study or den. We only needed one book!
12 More than these, my son, require not. Of making many books there is no end: and much study is an affliction of the flesh. eccl 12
All we needed was one book, we did not need a library!
Search ye diligently in the book of the Lord, Isa 34:16

The Gospel Matrix

2 Timothy 3:16 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

Hello!

I come at this issue from what is a unique and probably unfamiliar perspective.

Having studied the Bible for many years, I have come to see beyond all doubt that it has most certainly been authored by a Transcendent Intelligence (what most refer to as "God.") However, this does not necessitate that the Bible is "perfect," in a literal or historical sense, as the Bible has not been crafted with the intention of being read as a literal book of history "from God."

For example, through intense study of the four Gospels, it has become evident that the so-called "skeptics" are absolutely correct in their critiques of the many contradictions and inconsistencies throughout those four books. (Christians of course generally deny the existence of any contradictions, but they are most certainly there.) This does NOT, however, nullify their validity as inspired writings, but actually verifies it, when it is understood that there is a "divine message" being revealed to us through the contradictions and discrepancies of the Gospels (and other Biblical contradictions).

Hopefully this has made sense. There is much, much more that can be said about this.