Is scripture the infallible Word Of God?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
2 Timothy 3:16 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

RBBI

16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

I believe it is. It's also important to remember that the scriptures Timothy had then were the OT. Peace

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
Explain 2 Timothy 3:16.

Putting these 2 verses together gives us a proper perspective on divine inspiration:

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 2 Tim 3:16KJV
For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. 2 Pet 1:21KJV

It was the holy men of God who were inspired, not the literature they produced. All scripture was given by the process of breathing the Spirit of God into regenerate men who were moved to write the words God wanted them to write. It is, likewise, the indwelling Spirit of God in the regenerate believer that recognizes spirit/truth when it is encountered on the receiving end.

Any other doctrine of inspiration is virtually dictation.
The idea of theopneustos is 'God breathed'. I think He both breathed into the holy men and they breathed out His words.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Putting these 2 verses together gives us a proper perspective on divine inspiration:

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 2 Tim 3:16KJV
For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. 2 Pet 1:21KJV

It was the holy men of God who were inspired, not the literature they produced. All scripture was given by the process of breathing the Spirit of God into regenerate men who were moved to write the words God wanted them to write. It is, likewise, the indwelling Spirit of God in the regenerate believer that recognizes spirit/truth when it is encountered on the receiving end.

The idea of theopneustos is 'God breathed'. I think He both breathed into the holy men and they breathed out His words.
Thanks for the :chuckle:

glorydaz

Maybe it's just late, but I'm having a hard time seeing the difference....all scripture is given by inspiration of God seems to say what you have just described. :idunno:

Certainly people are inspired to write what God has directed them to write, correct. Is that you point?

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
Maybe it's just late, but I'm having a hard time seeing the difference....all scripture is given by inspiration of God seems to say what you have just described. :idunno:

Certainly people are inspired to write what God has directed them to write, correct. Is that you point?

Exactly - but not quite.

Many believe the words, phrases, sentences, chapters, books are inspired (breathed in to). My contention is that they are/were not inspired. Rather it was the men of God's choosing who were inspired to write God's words. The inspiration was so perfect that that which came out of them was inerrant.

The use of 'directed' also hints at dictation. God used the personalities of very different men who were inspired (motivated, moved, stirred, energized) to write flawlessly within their own context.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
You lie against what is written in the Bible. tsk tsk shame

:chuckle:

theopneustos is a word that was undoubtedly invented by Paul and was intended to convey the idea that the scriptures have their source with God and are, therefore, reliable. God breathed into holy men who were moved to write only God's words. I think of it as a wind so strong that it blows the trees down only in the direction the wind is blowing and never contrary to it.

The reason the distinction as to how inspiration was applied (to the men or to the words) is important is that some new versions leave no doubt that it was the words that were breathed into. Indeed, many believe, incorrectly, that the Bible is/was inspired because it is written into many statements of faith.

Compare:
All scripture is given by inspiration of God...KJV, NKJV - this does not specify that writings were inspired; it only talks about a process.
All scripture is inspired by God...RSV, NLT, NET, NASB

Truster

No Scripture is inspired.

The word of Elohim is described as living and active. That can only be the case if it is empowered with life and fulfills its purpose in activity.

Hebrews 4:12 KJV

Isaiah 55:11 KJV

To fully comprehend the inspired word it is necessary to have experienced its power. All men are under its power, but not all are saved by its power. To some it is the killing letter.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

It means all scripture is given to the believer by inspiration of God, not by working it out from theology books.

LA

iamaberean

If one doesn't believe all scripture is inspired by God, then they have no hope. The New Testament just confirms the Old.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
The word of Elohim is described as living and active. That can only be the case if it is empowered with life and fulfills its purpose in activity.

Hebrews 4:12 KJV

Isaiah 55:11 KJV

To fully comprehend the inspired word it is necessary to have experienced its power. All men are under its power, but not all are saved by its power. To some it is the killing letter.

The problem with this is; what happens when there is no longer any sin? The power you are describing is in relation to redemption, and I totally agree, but I don't think that is its only purpose and I believe it will survive long after this world has disappeared.

Logos1560

It was the holy men of God who were inspired, not the literature they produced. All scripture was given by the process of breathing the Spirit of God into regenerate men who were moved to write the words God wanted them to write.

I agree that both 2 Timothy 3:16 and 2 Peter 1:21 are related verses on the inspiration of the Scriptures.

While certain holy men of God [the prophets and apostles] were involved in the process of the giving of the Scriptures by inspiration of God to them, it is still noted that it is Scripture that was given by this process.

All Scripture is God-breathed or inspired.

A good number of KJV defenders or KJV-only authors assert that the men were not inspired and that only the words are inspired so your assertion would disagree with them. Some leading KJV-only authors such as D. A. Waite have asserted that it is theological error to say that the men are inspired, but I do not agree with them.

genuineoriginal

Is scripture the infallible Word Of God?
_____
Scripture
any writing or book, especially when of a sacred or religious nature.
_____​

The Bible does not say that any writing is infallible.

The Bible says something different about the spoken Word of God.

Isaiah 55:11
11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.​

genuineoriginal

No Scripture is inspired.

comma.jpg