Is mental illness a punishment for sin?

Lucian Hodoboc

The Old Testament tells us that God punished King Saul by allowing an evil spirit to torment him. In what way, it is not very clear, but from Sault's erratic behavior, I conclude that it was some sort of mental illness (paranoia, schizophrenia, OCD etc.).

Can we take this incident as an example that mental illness could be a punishment for our sinful actions, and if so, is any attempt to treat mental illness through other means than seeking Gog's forgiveness futile?

musterion

The Old Testament tells us that God punished King Saul by allowing an evil spirit to torment him. In what way, it is not very clear, but from Sault's erratic behavior, I conclude that it was some sort of mental illness (paranoia, schizophrenia, OCD etc.).

Can we take this incident as an example that mental illness could be a punishment for our sinful actions, and if so, is any attempt to treat mental illness through other means than seeking Gog's forgiveness futile?

There's a person here who went by the name of Capricorn. This person is REALLY mentally ill.

Truster

Mental illness is a feeble attempt by medical science to dismiss the effects of the prince of the power of the air working in the children of disobedience.So-called mental illness is a manifestation of the misery brought about by tribulation and distress upon the workers of iniquity.

musterion

Mental illness is a feeble attempt by medical science to dismiss the effects of the prince of the power of the air working in the children of disobedience.So-called mental illness is a manifestation of the misery brought about by tribulation and distress upon the workers of iniquity.

In many cases, i would agree. But I've known many children like this, even very young ones, every one of whom are damaged in one way or another by wicked adults. Are they troubled? Yes. Are they capable of their own wickedness? Yes. Do they need Christ? Yes. But I cannot call them unqualified iniquitous for being first and foremost VICTIMS, more sinned against than sinning, resulting in their being as they are. No, there's something else to factor in.

Lucian Hodoboc

Then why do therapy and pills work on healing some mentally-ill people who continue to live in sin while failing to heal other people who repent and try to live righteous lives (there have been documented cases of monks, nuns, pastors, preachers etc. who struggled with mental illness)?

Truster

In many cases, i would agree. But I've known many children like this, even very young ones, every one of whom are damaged in one way or another by wicked adults. Are they troubled? Yes. Are they capable of their own wickedness? Yes. Do they need Christ? Yes. But I cannot call them unqualified iniquitous for being first and foremost VICTIMS, more sinned against than sinning, resulting in their being as they are. No, there's something else to factor in.

The unregenerate are under law and therefore under wrath. The sins of the fathers is visited upon the sons. You seem to be suggesting that all children are innocent and are deserving of the peace that only comes by grace.

As for factoring in "something else" you seem to suggest that there is something/someone above and beyond the First Cause. Dangerous ground indeed.

musterion

The unregenerate are under law and therefore under wrath.

No, they're under grace. Wrath is in abeyance, pending their repentance.

The sins of the fathers is visited upon the sons. You seem to be suggesting that all children are innocent and are deserving of the peace that only comes by grace.

That's not what I said.

As for factoring in "something else" you seem to suggest that there is something/someone above and beyond the First Cause. Dangerous ground indeed.

That's not what I said.

Truster

Then why do therapy and pills work on healing some mentally-ill people who continue to live in sin while failing to heal other people who repent and try to live righteous lives (there have been documented cases of monks, nuns, pastors, preachers etc. who struggled with mental illness)?

"The Eternal Almighty works all things together for good unto those that love Him, those that are called according to His purpose".

There is only one reason for salvation but many purposes. One of the purposes is to humble His people. He has each and every means at His disposal and He is soverign in their disposal and application. "Who can say why madest me thus"?

Truster

This message is hidden because musterion is on your ignore list.

Those that oppose the truth, despise the truth and dismiss the truth are in effect being hardened by the truth. The judgement they are sent is the powerful delusion and in fact they are caused to believe their lies.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

As someone I know says:

"Stupid doesn't make you sin. Sin makes you stupid."

Arthur Brain

Because mental illness is real and the only ones who deny it tend to be religious zealots.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
... mental illness is real ...

the-first-step-to-recovery-is-admitting-you-have-a-problem-quote-1.jpg

praying for you in your time of difficulty artie :thumb:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Because mental illness is real and the only ones who deny it tend to be religious zealots.
An odd truth, but a truth. Not most of orthodox Christendom, of course, but some of the weaker branches. Then there's Scientology. They hate it like sand sandwiches. Islam isn't wild about it either, though it is allowed so long as it is subordinate to religious teaching. I'm not sure how other religions treat it.