Is it true that those who do not have the Holy Spirit dwelling in them are not saved?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Is it true that those who do not have the Holy Spirit dwelling in them are not saved?

The following verse does seem to indicate that.

Romans 8:9 NASB - 9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.

How do you see it? Does this apply to people over the course of all history? Are those in the New Testament saved the same way as those in the Old Testament?

oatmeal

Romans 8:9 NASB - 9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.

How do you see it? Does this apply to people over the course of all history? Are those in the New Testament saved the same way as those in the Old Testament?

Yes, that is true, as that verse clearly states.

oatmeal

Has it been true since Adam and Eve?

The salvation that the accomplished works of Jesus Christ made available to us, was not available until Jesus Christ accomplished those works.

Thus, what Jesus Christ speaks in the gospels while the work was in progress, is truth.

But since the work was yet in progress, and he had to live in the moment to continue progressing toward the finished work, "it is finished" What he said may not, and in many cases does not apply to the finished work.

In the gospels, faithfulness was the key to receiving salvation.

Yet, was it as great a salvation as what God in Christ made available to us?

No, our salvation is greater than what was available before the accomplished works of Jesus Christ.

I Corinthians 2:8 makes that clear.

What we have is so great that if God had divulged it in any way shape or form before it was wise to do so, until after it was accomplished, our adversary, the devil, the prince of this world, would not have crucified the lord of glory.

This salvation which I Corinthians 2:8 speaks of is the great mystery which was revealed, so now it is no longer a mystery since Paul wrote of in his epistles. Ephesians 3 and other places mention it directly

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The salvation that the accomplished works of Jesus Christ made available to us, was not available until Jesus Christ accomplished those works.

Thus, what Jesus Christ speaks in the gospels while the work was in progress, is truth.

But since the work was yet in progress, and he had to live in the moment to continue progressing toward the finished work, "it is finished" What he said may not, and in many cases does not apply to the finished work.

In the gospels, faithfulness was the key to receiving salvation.

Yet, was it as great a salvation as what God in Christ made available to us?

No, our salvation is greater than what was available before the accomplished works of Jesus Christ.

I Corinthians 2:8 makes that clear.

What we have is so great that if God had divulged it in any way shape or form before it was wise to do so, until after it was accomplished, our adversary, the devil, the prince of this world, would not have crucified the lord of glory.

This salvation which I Corinthians 2:8 speaks of is the great mystery which was revealed, so now it is no longer a mystery since Paul wrote of in his epistles. Ephesians 3 and other places mention it directly
Is salvation by grace through faith since Adam and Eve or just since Jesus died for us (humans, mankind, believers)?

Was anyone saved before Christ?

Danoh

In that part of that verse, Paul is talking about the lost.

He contrasts that, for a moment, with the saved he is addressing.

How that, because the saved have the Spirit, they don't have to be at the mercy of the lusts of the flesh as the lost are, nor are they to rely on the flesh for strength to serve God (attempting to serve God in one's own strength).

Read Romans 6-8 a good dozen times through, or so, while keeping that passage in mind throughout, as it was written within all that Paul was relating there.

Romans 6: Dead to Sin
Romans 7: Dead to the Law
Romans 8: Dead to the Flesh

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
In that part of that verse, Paul talking about the lost.

He contrasts that, for a moment, with the saved he is addressing.

How that, because the saved have the Spirit, they don't have to be at the mercy of the lusts of the flesh as the lost are, nor are they to rely on the flesh for strength to serve God.

Read Romans 6-8 a good dozen times through, or so, while keeping that passage in mind throughout, as it was written within all that Paul was relating there.

Romans 6: Dead to Sin
Romans 7: Dead to the Law
Romans 8: Dead to the Flesh
Is it only possible for any person in history to be saved if they were living after the death of Christ? Or, the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
If you are saved the Spirit dwells in you.
Is it that if you have the Spirit dwelling in you you are saved?

Could people have the Holy Spirit dwelling in them from the time of Adam and Eve?

Those who are born again by the Spirit of God have the Spirit of God dwelling in them and they are saved.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Could people have the Holy Spirit dwelling in them from the time of Adam and Eve?

Yes, definitely. But there was a hiatus while Jesus was human.

God's Spirit is given by Christ.

I have manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word. (John 17:6 NKJV)​

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Yes, definitely. But there was a hiatus while Jesus was human.

God's Spirit is given by Christ.

I have manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word. (John 17:6 NKJV)​
I'm not sure what you are saying.

What do you mean by a hiatus?

I'm not sure about your second statement or how the verse provided relates to it or your post to that point.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm not sure about your second statement or how the verse provided relates to it or your post to that point.

No one comes to Christ except by the Father. No one comes to the Father except through Christ. They are a team.

oatmeal

Is salvation by grace through faith since Adam and Eve or just since Jesus died for us (humans, mankind, believers)?

Was anyone saved before Christ?

The topic of salvation before the accomplished works of Jesus Christ is not one that I have researched sufficiently.

All that pre Jesus Christ believers, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Samuel, Ruth, Esther, Mary, Elizabeth.... did to obey God by believing, see Hebrews 11 was not for nought.

They will be rewarded accordingly, and that would start with the resurrection of the just, which is as the words imply, for the just.

God rewards the just and they will enjoy eternal life and rewards for their service. If the OT calls that salvation, I am good with that.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The topic of salvation before the accomplished works of Jesus Christ is not one that I have researched sufficiently.

All that pre Jesus Christ believers, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Samuel, Ruth, Esther, Mary, Elizabeth.... did to obey God by believing, see Hebrews 11 was not for nought.

They will be rewarded accordingly, and that would start with the resurrection of the just, which is as the words imply, for the just.

God rewards the just and they will enjoy eternal life and rewards for their service. If the OT calls that salvation, I am good with that.
This will require more study.

Danoh

Is it only possible for any person in history to be saved if they were living after the death of Christ? Or, the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ?

Paul is addressing issues this side of Rom. 3:21.

He addressed the issue THIS SIDE OF THE CROSS in Romans 3:21.

While in the latter part of Romans 3:25's "to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins THAT ARE PAST through the FOREBERANCE of God," he addressed how that worked PRIOR TO the Cross.

For more on how that applied to those people, PRIOR TO THE CROSS - for example, Luke 1:5-6- see the writer of Hebrews, as in one of his various summaries - Heb. 11:39-40.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Paul is addressing issues this side of Rom. 3:21.

He addressed the issue THIS SIDE OF THE CROSS in Romans 3:21.

While in the latter part of Romans 3:25's "to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins THAT ARE PAST through the FOREBERANCE of God," he addressed how that worked PRIOR TO the Cross.

For more on how that applied to those people, PRIOR TO THE CROSS - for example, Luke 1:5-6- see the writer of Hebrews, as in one of his various summaries - Heb. 11:39-40.
Do you agree that no one was ever saved by observing the commands found in the Law? Obedience to the Law saved and saves no one. Yet the Law still is, though there was time before the giving of the Law as well.

Different people have had faith at different times in human history. The question is if before the cross or death burial and resurrection (appearing and ascension?) of Christ anyone had the Spirit of God dwelling in them. Romans 8:9.

RBBI

And the answer would be yes. Enoch pleased HaShem and he was found no more because HaShem took him, for one example. Dig into the addition of Abram's name to Abraham, and the addition to Sarai's name, for another. Men try to limit Him to their understanding of what He can and cannot do, but you can't put Him in a box, He breaks out of it every time ;).....Peace

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
And the answer would be yes. Enoch pleased HaShem and he was found no more because HaShem took him, for one example. Dig into the addition of Abram's name to Abraham, and the addition to Sarai's name, for another. Men try to limit Him to their understanding of what He can and cannot do, but you can't put Him in a box, He breaks out of it every time ;).....Peace
I don't know what you mean.

iamaberean

Why would anyone want to take the chance?

The evidence of receiving the Holy Ghost is speaking in tongues.

Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
Act 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

The gift of the Holy Ghost is eternal life.
Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.