Is is wrong to "cherry pick"?

oatmeal

People talk about cherry picking verses.

What does that mean?

Why does that phrase always have negative connotations?

If you are looking for cherries, doesn't it make sense that you would cherry pick?

What is wrong with finding and using specific verses that fit a need?

Jesus did it

Luke 4

And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,

2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.

3 And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread.

4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.

6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.

7 If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.

8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Likewise further in the chapter:

16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

Hoping

Banned

What does that mean?

If you are looking for cherries, doesn't it make sense that you would cherry pick?

Jesus did it

Luke 4

And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,

2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.

3 And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread.

4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.

6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.

8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
I have found that the "cherry picking" defense is just a cover for "Oh, I forgot about that one".

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ

What does that mean?

Jesus did it

Luke 4

Jesus summed up the whole Old Testament with two "cherry picked" laws.

PureX

Whenever we read any text, we are inevitably going to "cherry pick" the ideas being presented to us that we find important to us, or especially significant according to how we already see and understand the world. How could it be otherwise? We are who we are, and we see the world how we see the world: each according to our own experiences and interpretations of those experiences.

So I think we should throw the idea of "cherry picking" as an accusation in and of itself, out the window, completely; since we all do it. And we can't NOT do it.

However, I do think it's a very good idea to ask ourselves, honestly and sincerely, how and why we are choosing to hold on to or reject the information sets being presented to us, as we read or otherwise come into contact with the ideas of others. Because "cherry picking" only those ideas from others that support or ratify what we already think we know to be 'the true of things' is just confirmation bias. And it not only teaches us nothing new, but it stop us from learning anything new. And a LOT OF US are guilty of doing exactly this.

Whereas if we "cherry pick" the ideas being presented to us by others for the fact that they do NOT jive with what we already think we know to be 'the truth of things', this can inspire us to consider new ways of thinking and new versions of the truth of things that we had not previously been aware of, or considered. Allowing us to learn new things, and to discover new truths.

So although "cherry picking" is inevitable, WHAT we cherry pick and WHY is still very important. And something that we ought to consider very carefully.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Whenever we read any text, we are inevitably going to "cherry pick" the ideas being presented to us that we find important to us, or especially significant according to how we already see and understand the world.

From Wikipedia:

Cherry picking, suppressing evidence, or the fallacy of incomplete evidence is the act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position while ignoring a significant portion of related and similar cases or data that may contradict that position. Cherry picking may be committed intentionally or unintentionally.

One should not base his arguments on fallacies.

If you're cherry picking data or information, you're (intentionally or unintentionally) suppressing or ignoring data that is contrary to your position that may or may not disprove it.

How could it be otherwise?

By taking all data available into consideration when trying to understand a matter.

We are who we are, and we see the world how we see the world: each according to our own experiences and interpretations of those experiences.

This is what is called a paradigm.

Unfortunately, some people cannot see outside of their paradigm of beliefs, which is usually caused by or related to their dedication to cherry picked evidence for their position.

So I think we should throw the idea of "cherry picking" as an accusation in and of itself, out the window, completely; since we all do it. And we can't NOT do it.

We should ALWAYS call out when someone is making a fallacious argument, because it may lead them to the truth.

However, I do think it's a very good idea to ask ourselves, honestly and sincerely, how and why we are choosing to hold on to or reject the information sets being presented to us, as we read or otherwise come into contact with the ideas of others. Because "cherry picking" only those ideas from others that support or ratify what we already think we know to be 'the true of things' is just confirmation bias. And it not only teaches us nothing new, but it stop us from learning anything new. And a LOT OF US are guilty of doing exactly this.

Whereas if we "cherry pick" the ideas being presented to us by others for the fact that they do NOT jive with what we already think we know to be 'the truth of things', this can inspire us to consider new ways of thinking and new versions of the truth of things that we had not previously been aware of, or considered. Allowing us to learn new things, and to discover new truths.

So although "cherry picking" is inevitable, WHAT we cherry pick and WHY is still very important. And something that we ought to consider very carefully.

Even if it were true that "cherry picking is inevitable, we should always strive, especially in debate and discussion, to consider ALL rational viewpoints, and to NOT cherry pick.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Whenever we read any text, we are inevitably going to "cherry pick" the ideas being presented to us that we find important to us, or especially significant according to how we already see and understand the world. How could it be otherwise? We are who we are, and we see the world how we see the world: each according to our own experiences and interpretations of those experiences.

So make sure they're really cherries iow, like Jesus did. Makes sense. Not unreasonable.

PureX

If you're cherry picking data or information, you're (intentionally or unintentionally) suppressing or ignoring data that is contrary to your position that may or may not disprove it.
Yes, and ultimately, that is inevitable. As we each have our own way of seeing and understanding the world. And we are bound to dismiss information that does not comport with our world-view, as irrelevant.
By taking all data available into consideration when trying to understand a matter.
Take it into consideration, how? We can only know what we know. And we can only assimilate new information as it accords with what we already think we know.

Unfortunately, some people cannot see outside of their paradigm of beliefs, which is usually caused by or related to their dedication to cherry picked evidence for their position.
Ultimately, none of us can. BUT, we can expand our own world-views to be more inclusive of other cognitive paradigms, ... with practice and some effort.
We should ALWAYS call out when someone is making a fallacious argument, because it may lead them to the truth.
The danger, I think, is in our presuming our truth to be THE TRUTH. It's not so much "calling out the falsity (error) of others" as it is presenting to them why we see it as falsity (error). The difference may be subtle, but I think it's important. As our truth is not THE TRUTH any more than anyone else's is.
Even if it were true that "cherry picking is inevitable, we should always strive, especially in debate and discussion, to consider ALL rational viewpoints, and to NOT cherry pick.
Since it is inevitable that we will "cherry pick", I think what we really need to be striving for is more honesty in how and why and what we "cherry pick".

Skeeter

Banned
Pick your best cherries, make a compelling case, but don't forget to address what you left on the tree.

oatmeal

You make some good points. It is inevitable that we will use scriptures that support what we believe. We can learn to view the other side's arguments and answer their concerns. I know that many people do this on this website. However, some stoop to ad hominem attacks when they run out of evidence to support their positions. I am disappointed at the ferocity of the some of the attacks that have been published here.
It is a shame that people would stoop so low. Everyone, as you say, has their favorite verses that support their position, but we must learn to look at the entire word of God, not just those that support our view point. That would be the noble, and honest approach. However, as I stated, what is wrong with looking up verses germaine to the topic at hand? Nothing. If we are looking for cherries, we should go to a cherry tree to cherry pick, not an apple tree or a beef cattle ranch

oatmeal

From Wikipedia:

Cherry picking, suppressing evidence, or the fallacy of incomplete evidence is the act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position while ignoring a significant portion of related and similar cases or data that may contradict that position. Cherry picking may be committed intentionally or unintentionally.

One should not base his arguments on fallacies.

I would not look to Wikipedia for sound Biblical doctrine. I do understand that it may offer useful information but rarely. However, We see in scripture that men and women of God who knew their stuff consistenly referred to scripture

How about looking at Jesus example when he was tempted by the Devil? did he cower? did he submit? No, he picked verses that appropriately rebutted the Devil's abuse of scripture. Are you accusing Jesus of cherry picking? I am sure you are not, but what is wrong with picking scriptures that pertain to the subject at hand.

Last edited: