Instruments Musical - Who plays them?

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I've been wondering...

...if anyone here plays a musical instrument. And by play, I don't mean you've seen a picture of one or picked one up in a store and played a note or too.

Has anyone taken the time to develop a skill on a particular musical instrument to where you would say you play it decently?

If so, which one? Why did you pick it originally?

I am asking because I recently had a conversation with someone who was quite proficient on the guitar. I remarked after hearing her play that I wished I could play the guitar.

She replied, "No, you don't." With some consternation I assured here that I did.

She retorted that, if indeed I wished that, I would have taken the time to learn.

It got me to thinking...I do wish that I could play, but not enough, apparently, to take the time and make it a reality.

SUTG

I play several instruments. Guitar, piano, mandolin, bass, and drums. I'm not a virtuoso on any of them, but was good enough at guitar that I gave lessons for about 10 years, averaging about 20 students a week. I've played live with bands or solo performances on guitar, mandolin, bass and drums. I am not good enough to do so on piano. I picked up piano much later than the others, both because I think it is such a versatile instrument and also because I think it one of the better instruments to learn to really get to understand how the technical aspects of music work. I think the moderate level of competency I've been able to develop on piano has helped me a lot on the other instruments. Also, when you're out and about, you never know when you'll run into a piano and can play an impromptu tune or two. I've got it down to where if I play for a few minutes, I can trick people into thinking I'm really good and can go on like that for hours - but in reality, it is just an illusion. After that few minutes I've got mastered, I'm left playing a somewhat mediocre repetoire. Certainly not lke someone whose main instrument is the piano!

I guess I might be tempted to disagree with your friend and suggest it might make sense for you to consider learning a bit of the guitar. The learning curve seems imossibly steep at first, but after 6 months or a year or so, one can have all of the so-called cowboy chords under their fingers and play quite a few popular tunes and then pick up new ones rather quickly. The exceptions are the dreaded F and B chords that require the player to "bar" their finger across five or six strings. I've had many, many (almost all) of my beginner students tell me that due to the shape of their hand or whatever, they would never be able to play these chords properly. Then a funny thing happens when they finally can do it - it sudenly becomes very easy and second nature, like walking or riding a bike. It was really fun watching students through this progression.

Of course if you want to become a jazz, classical or lead rock player, you'll have to continue on afer this. But I think just getting to the "cowboy chord " stage can be very rewarding, and also give you a new and different apprectiation for whatever music it is that you already enjoy.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I play several instruments. Guitar, piano, mandolin, bass, and drums.

Thank you for stopping by to reply. In your estimation, is it more difficult to play a guitar or a mandolin? If my memory serves me, a mandolin is not tuned like a guitar, but, rather, like a violin. Perhaps they are so different that it is hard to make that assessment?

I also have a concert Ukulele (who doesn't?) and have given some thought to taking that up.

At any rate, I've got the bug to learn to play something.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I play Cowbell pretty good. :chuckle:

31774e85c18193539525430cc6cc44bb--snl-skits-cowbell.jpg

SUTG

Thank you for stopping by to reply. In your estimation, is it more difficult to play a guitar or a mandolin? If my memory serves me, a mandolin is not tuned like a guitar, but, rather, like a violin. Perhaps they are so different that it is hard to make that assessment?

You're exactly right - the mandolin is tuned like the violin. The size and fingerings are also exactly the same as the violin as well. The three differences are the the mandolin is played with a pick instead of a bow, the mandolin has frets, and the mandolin has four pairs of strings instead of just four single strings like the violin. What this means is that all of the music for violin can be played (or at least attempted) natively on the mandolin. I'm am currently working through the Bach Sonatas and Partitas reading the violin music right onto the mandolin.

As far as the relative difficulty of learning the two, I think mandolin is easier to get up and ruuning with simple tunes and chord progressions but then gets harder in difficulty once you get much past the very basics. I also find guitar more fun to play and more of a versatile instrument. Although I have found that people seem to be pretty easily impressed by even simple tunes played on the mandolin. I think this is probably because people come across mandolin players so much less often than guitar players.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You're exactly right - the mandolin is tuned like the violin. The size and fingerings are also exactly the same as the violin as well. The three differences are the the mandolin is played with a pick instead of a bow, the mandolin has frets, and the mandolin has four pairs of strings instead of just four single strings like the violin. What this means is that all of the music for violin can be played (or at least attempted) natively on the mandolin. I'm am currently working through the Bach Sonatas and Partitas reading the violin music right onto the mandolin.

As far as the relative difficulty of learning the two, I think mandolin is easier to get up and ruuning with simple tunes and chord progressions but then gets harder in difficulty once you get much past the very basics. I also find guitar more fun to play and more of a versatile instrument. Although I have found that people seem to be pretty easily impressed by even simple tunes played on the mandolin. I think this is probably because people come across mandolin players so much less often than guitar players.

As I own a mandolin, perhaps I shall endeavor to learn that first. I appreciate your insight.

I also came across a Russian mandolin that looks a whole lot like a lute. I found it at a flea market and liked that it was unique. I've taken it to a few "experts" and they can't tell me a lot about it. It may be a one-off kind of a deal. All of the print inside the body is in Cyrillic, so perhaps I should take it to someone who reads Russian.

SUTG

As I own a mandolin, perhaps I shall endeavor to learn that first. I appreciate your insight.

I also came across a Russian mandolin that looks a whole lot like a lute. I found it at a flea market and liked that it was unique. I've taken it to a few "experts" and they can't tell me a lot about it. It may be a one-off kind of a deal. All of the print inside the body is in Cyrillic, so perhaps I should take it to someone who reads Russian.

It may or may not be a mandolin. There is a whole mandolin family of instruments, originally from Italy, that is analagous to the violin family, like this: violin->mandolin, viola->mandola, and cello->mandocello. They all relate to each other with the three differences I mentioned above.

But then there are some other mandolin-like instruments from Greece and Turkey and thereabouts. Things like the oud, the cittern, and something else with a really funny name. :)

I'm guessing whatever you have is a bowlback instrument (not a flat back) with a round soundhole instead of the pair of f-holes? f-holes are the paired ones like on a violin, they look something like this { }

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm guessing whatever you have is a bowlback instrument (not a flat back) with a round soundhole instead of the pair of f-holes? f-holes are the paired ones like on a violin, they look something like this { }

Yes...and no. It does have a rounded back, but nothing so pronounced as a true lute, if that makes sense. The curvature is only slight. I will have to take a picture of it at some point so that see it. It's pretty, but it does have a slight crack on the front. The crack happened before my obtaining it, and I am sure it is due to not being properly stored in this non-humid desert. The Mojave is a great killer of instruments. :rip:

Lon

I've been wondering...

...if anyone here plays a musical instrument. And by play, I don't mean you've seen a picture of one or picked one up in a store and played a note or too.

Has anyone taken the time to develop a skill on a particular musical instrument to where you would say you play it decently?

If so, which one? Why did you pick it originally?

I am asking because I recently had a conversation with someone who was quite proficient on the guitar. I remarked after hearing her play that I wished I could play the guitar.

She replied, "No, you don't." With some consternation I assured here that I did.

She retorted that, if indeed I wished that, I would have taken the time to learn.

It got me to thinking...I do wish that I could play, but not enough, apparently, to take the time and make it a reality.

View attachment 26124

1) Buy a cheaper one like a Washburn or Yamaha (Costco has great deals close to Christmas).
2) Learn a simply song and about 4 simple chords
3) Have fun. If you enjoy learning what YOU want to do, it is better imho, than taking 'lessons' on someone else' interests or the beginners book (again, imho, this is what sets apart those who stay with it and those who do not).

After that, you'll know how deeply your desire is because you'll either stick with it or will have enjoyed a short hobby that didn't cost much.

I personally learned a couple of easy songs around a campfire when I was young and just learning one or two songs that I REALLY liked that were simple, was enough to go the distance. -Lon

SUTG

Yes...and no. It does have a rounded back, but nothing so pronounced as a true lute, if that makes sense. The curvature is only slight. I will have to take a picture of it at some point so that see it. It's pretty, but it does have a slight crack on the front. The crack happened before my obtaining it, and I am sure it is due to not being properly stored in this non-humid desert. The Mojave is a great killer of instruments. :rip:

This could be the start of one of those "guy finds priceless instrument in grandma's attic" stories, you never know.

If you post a photo at mandolincafe.com, one of the obsessive enthusiats over there can probably identify it. Or I could post the photo if you'd rather not register.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Take up the harmonica.
You can take it with ya anywhere and play whenever the mood hits ya.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Take up the harmonica.
You can take it with ya anywhere and play whenever the mood hits ya.

I have a good friend who takes his harmonica with him wherever he goes. It is always nice to see people's faces light up when they hear the first note.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
View attachment 26124

1) Buy a cheaper one like a Washburn or Yamaha (Costco has great deals close to Christmas).
2) Learn a simply song and about 4 simple chords
3) Have fun. If you enjoy learning what YOU want to do, it is better imho, than taking 'lessons' on someone else' interests or the beginners book (again, imho, this is what sets apart those who stay with it and those who do not).

After that, you'll know how deeply your desire is because you'll either stick with it or will have enjoyed a short hobby that didn't cost much.

I personally learned a couple of easy songs around a campfire when I was young and just learning one or two songs that I REALLY liked that were simple, was enough to go the distance. -Lon

I have a mandolin that is manufactured by Samick. I've heard it's decent, but I'm not entirely in the know. It was made in the mid 1960s.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I do like stringed instruments the best.
piano
violin
guitar
are my 3 favorites.

Also play
banjo
trumpet
flute
drums

I like piano best because I can make more of a variety of sounds with it than any other instrument I play.
And I can play it by sheet music or by ear
But it's real hard to carry a piano around with ya!

And my favorite composer till this day is still Beethoven.
I don't think anyone has come near him when it comes to putting notes together in a unique way, and goes from slow and hauntingly beautiful to powerful and emotional.
He can mix sorrow and victory together like no other.

Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata 1st Movement:
Hauntingly beautiful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu7hscHkfPw

Beethoven's Fur Elise:
Can go from a tender calm and melancholy to anxious dread and everything in between.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ8tmziVhsA

Beethoven's 3rd Movement of Moonlight Sonata:
Powerful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7M8f9mXuMg

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I do like stringed instruments the best.
piano
violin
guitar
are my 3 favorites.

Also play
banjo
trumpet
flute
drums

I like piano best because I can make more of a variety of sounds with it than any other instrument I play.
And I can play it by sheet music or by ear
But it's real hard to carry a piano around with ya!

And my favorite composer till this day is still Beethoven.
I don't think anyone has come near him when it comes to putting notes together in a unique way, and goes from slow and hauntingly beautiful to powerful and emotional.
He can mix sorrow and victory together like no other.

Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata 1st Movement:
Hauntingly beautiful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu7hscHkfPw

Beethoven's Fur Elise:
Can go from a tender calm and melancholy to anxious dread and everything in between.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ8tmziVhsA

Beethoven's 3rd Movement of Moonlight Sonata:
Powerful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7M8f9mXuMg

I am rather fond of Chopin's Nocturne Number 2 in E Flat Major, though I cannot say I care that much for him as a person.

Lon

I have a mandolin that is manufactured by Samick. I've heard it's decent, but I'm not entirely in the know. It was made in the mid 1960s.
My brother bought one too. The information you are getting on it is solid. My brother ALSO played violin so I can confirm most of what you are hearing. I would definitely start with that and have fun with it :up:

Here is a good start:

(Here to tune your mandolin)