Imagine No Religion

CherubRam

But you do get to pick and choose those laws right? I assume slavery is out as well as the problem caused by wearing clothing of different fabric.

Some people became servants because they could not get by otherwise, just like today there are employees. Not everyone can wear wool, and mixing some materials can cause negative chemical reactions.

Ezra 7:10

Imagine if there was no religion? What if the atheist's were in charge? I suppose then the whole world would be filled with fools, corruption and terrible evil, "The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds, there is none who does good (Psalm 14:1 ESV)."

CherubRam

Imagine if there was no religion? What if the atheist's were in charge? I suppose then the whole world would be filled with fools, corruption and terrible evil, "The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds, there is none who does good (Psalm 14:1 ESV)."

Historically true.

Bradley D

Thus, you hold no faith in yourself? How sad.

How do you trust yourself enough to make an external spiritual discernment....when you hold such an internal lack faith in your own being/spirit?

Your desire for external validation exposes a weak internal spiritual foundation.

I trust in the God given Spirit to guide me. It was my recognition of a weak internal soul that lead me to repent of my wrongs and come to God. Don't you get your internal strength from the words of Buddha.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned

Some people became servants because they could not get by otherwise, just like today there are employees. Not everyone can wear wool, and mixing some materials can cause negative chemical reactions.

Did I miss something? In the Bible does slavery really mean being an employee? Getting paid in cash money, being able to look elsewhere for work? Having the same human rights as your employer?

And I am so glad my tshirt is all cotton. Phew. Your last sentence is simply a very silly way to suggest Leviticus 19:19 makes sense. but you get an A for effort and for creativity.

It's all still pretty much based on oral myth and the attempt by the Hebrews to keep their tribe together.

CherubRam

Did I miss something? In the Bible does slavery really mean being an employee? Getting paid in cash money, being able to look elsewhere for work? Having the same human rights as your employer?

And I am so glad my tshirt is all cotton. Phew. Your last sentence is simply a very silly way to suggest Leviticus 19:19 makes sense. but you get an A for effort and for creativity.

It's all still pretty much based on oral myth and the attempt by the Hebrews to keep their tribe together.
You do not seem to know the difference between myths and facts. When people sold themselves or a relative into bondage they were under contract.
Leviticus 25:48
they retain the right of redemption after they have sold themselves. One of their relatives may redeem them:

Leviticus 25:49
An uncle or a cousin or any blood relative in their clan may redeem them. Or if they prosper, they may redeem themselves.

Leviticus 25:54
“‘Even if someone is not redeemed in any of these ways, they and their children are to be released in the Year of Jubilee,

quip

BANNED
Banned
I trust in the God given Spirit to guide me. It was my recognition of a weak internal soul that lead me to repent of my wrongs and come to God. Don't you get your internal strength from the words of Buddha.

There's a vast difference between following The Word which teaches you what to think..... opposed to words teaching you how to think.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
“...Imagine no religion.”

“Christianity will vanish and shrink... Jesus was alright but his disciples were thick [British slang for “stupid”] and ordinary. It’s them twisting it that ruins it for me.”

--John Lennon

“The meddlings of the Church have caused good men to reject the whole in disgust.”

--Thomas Jefferson

Bradley D

There's a vast difference between following The Word which teaches you what to think..... opposed to words teaching you how to think.

I have accepted the Word as true by living it. The Word guides my thinking. It has become part of me. What Buddha has taught guides and has become a part of those who follow his teachings.

exminister

The worlds greatest murderers may have never killed anyone personally.

If they didn't give the order then they are not infamous killers.

As you know many have killed in the name of Christ, but you wouldn't add him to your list.

The link you provided had an interesting quote from Nietzche. He didn't invent nihilism but pointed it out and hoped humanity would pass through it. That puts a very different spin on it.

exminister

Here's the quote

5. Conclusion

It has been over a century now since Nietzsche explored nihilism and its implications for civilization. As he predicted, nihilism's impact on the culture and values of the 20th century has been pervasive, its apocalyptic tenor spawning a mood of gloom and a good deal of anxiety, anger, and terror. Interestingly, Nietzsche himself, a radical skeptic preoccupied with language, knowledge, and truth, anticipated many of the themes of postmodernity. It's helpful to note, then, that he believed we could--at a terrible price--eventually work through nihilism. If we survived the process of destroying all interpretations of the world, we could then perhaps discover the correct course for humankind:

I praise, I do not reproach, [nihilism's] arrival. I believe it is one of the greatest crises, a moment of the deepest self-reflection of humanity. Whether man recovers from it, whether he becomes master of this crisis, is a question of his strength. It is possible. . . . (Complete Works Vol. 13)

http://www.iep.utm.edu/nihilism/

CherubRam

Here's the quote
5. Conclusion

It has been over a century now since Nietzsche explored nihilism and its implications for civilization. As he predicted, nihilism's impact on the culture and values of the 20th century has been pervasive, its apocalyptic tenor spawning a mood of gloom and a good deal of anxiety, anger, and terror. Interestingly, Nietzsche himself, a radical skeptic preoccupied with language, knowledge, and truth, anticipated many of the themes of postmodernity. It's helpful to note, then, that he believed we could--at a terrible price--eventually work through nihilism. If we survived the process of destroying all interpretations of the world, (BIBLE?) we could then perhaps discover the correct course for humankind:

I praise, I do not reproach, [nihilism's] arrival. I believe it is one of the greatest crises, a moment of the deepest self-reflection of humanity. Whether man recovers from it, whether he becomes master of this crisis, is a question of his strength. It is possible. . . . (Complete Works Vol. 13)

http://www.iep.utm.edu/nihilism/

Germans give the Nazi salute during the ..... Special attention is paid to The Bible as the last book burned:.

CherubRam

so the words of your Holy Book never pushed people to kill others? Religious wars, the Crusades, Europeans in the Americas all very peaceful. Who knew?

The whole world follows the Catholic Church as if it is Christianity. The Catholics killed the original Christians, and replaced scriptures with their own version of scriptures. This was prophesied in scriptures that this would happen.

CherubRam

IN THE LAST DAYS.
For the sake of survival, Christians will take control of the world to prevent it destruction.