If you were dying ...

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think A4T hit the nail on the head. I'd like to add that I think my age would have a MAJOR impact on which people, if any, that I would tell.
Very good point!
I can see how age would need to be a factor.

It would be different for a young married couple with children than it would be for a old widow that lived alone.

glorydaz

That's one thing I took care of years ago.

My children are grown, married with their own children.
When my husband (their father) passed away, they went out of their way to spend more time with me. Which is normal, and expected, up to a point. And I appreciated it.

But I had one son that I was closer to than any of my other children.
Not "love" wise, but that we had a connection that was more in tune with each other than my other children.
Mainly because our personalities were almost identical!
We loved the same shows, the same jokes, the same activities, etc.

He went so far out of his way to spend so much time with me (after my husband passed), that he was with me more than his own family.
I kept mentioning to him that it concerned me/
But he had made a promise to his dying father that he would take care of me afterwards. So, he was determined to keep his promise.

It took me a little while to convince him that he had taken that promise to an extreme that he shouldn't have.
He was neglecting his wife.
He was supposed to cling to his spouse, not his mother.
She was the person he became one with, not his mother.
He finally got the picture!

Anyway, after that, I had a talk with all my children and assured them that I would always know they loved me dearly, no matter how much time they could allot to spend with me.
I told them to never let the thought enter their mind that I EVER felt they did not totally love me, and that one of my greatest joys was watching them be proper spouses and parents. Because that's what I raised them to be!

Wow, that was beautiful....and very inspiring. I think it will make more of a difference for ME than you may ever know. Thanks, sweetie....and I know we'll meet on the other side. :)

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wow, that was beautiful....and very inspiring. I think it will make more of a difference for ME than you may ever know. Thanks, sweetie....and I know we'll meet on the other side. :)
Yep.
The other side is our real home.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
No "ifs" about it . . . we are all dying.

Who are we going to spare from that reality?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A lot of folks don't care to talk about death.
After all, it's not really a party theme.

But I think there are ways to prepare others for the inevitable, so that when that time comes, it might not be so heartbreaking to them.
And maybe it's best to start that preparation early in life.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
A lot of folks don't care to talk about death.
After all, it's not really a party theme.

But I think there are ways to prepare others for the inevitable, so that when that time comes, it might not be so heartbreaking to them.
And maybe it's best to start that preparation early in life.

Agreed.

I call it preaching the gospel.

shagster01

I think it would depend on the amount of time I felt I had left. But I would certainly tell my wife and kids no matter what.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Yep. I want my body to give back to the earth. Circle of life.

When you say 'my body', are you implying that the body is something that you have as a possession and that you are really something other than and separate from your body?

ContaMundum

I think I would wait until I was on the last leg of my coming death and could no longer keep it a secret. That way my family would not be sad for any longer than is needed around me. I love their happiness and it would give me strength to meet my death more easily. There happiness is like strong medicine to me, so I would cling to that as long as I could. I hope and pray the question asked was just for discussion and not hiding something more serious, too.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think I would wait until I was on the last leg of my coming death and could no longer keep it a secret. That way my family would not be sad for any longer than is needed around me. I love their happiness and it would give me strength to meet my death more easily. There happiness is like strong medicine to me, so I would cling to that as long as I could.
I can relate to those thoughts.

I hope and pray the question asked was just for discussion and not hiding something more serious, too.
Just asking questions in general.

PureX

What would be the pros and cons of telling others?
That's a tough question!

I suppose I would, eventually, but I'd wait until I was near the end. I suppose they'd know by then, anyway. But I'd wait as long as I could because I would not want to create nor endure a lot of drama.