If you were dying ...

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What would be the pros and cons of telling others?

Last edited:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
What would be the pros and cons of telling other?

Pros:
support
can express love
others can pray for you
comfort you
help you
witness to you if you aren't a believer (but then they should be doing that anyway)
perhaps gain forgiveness and repair relationships (people often wish they had an opportunity to do this before a friend or loved one died)
Do things maybe someone had planned to do with them "someday"
Have the ability to make preparations ahead of time instead of not being able to know where to start with sudden shock news or way into an illness (this can cover many things)

Cons:

Other than the flip side of those things i mentioned,

It might cause extreme worry for some people but thats the only con i can think of.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Just drag some leaves and brush over my shell if ya' stumble across it.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
I think A4T hit the nail on the head. I'd like to add that I think my age would have a MAJOR impact on which people, if any, that I would tell.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Pros:
support
can express love
others can pray for you
comfort you
help you
witness to you if you aren't a believer (but then they should be doing that anyway)
perhaps gain forgiveness and repair relationships (people often wish they had an opportunity to do this before a friend or loved one died)
Do things maybe someone had planned to do with them "someday"
Have the ability to make preparations ahead of time instead of not being able to know where to start with sudden shock news or way into an illness (this can cover many things)
At lot of that is on my pro list too.

But then I thought a little more on it, and started to why I would want to add an obvious sadness to the mix, since my life is already filled with love, comfort, and support from others.

Cons:

Other than the flip side of those things i mentioned,

It might cause extreme worry for some people but thats the only con i can think of.
You hit the nail on what my biggest concern with be - all the worry and sadness that would accompany such a revelation.

One of the greatest joys of my life is watching those around me be happy and carefree.
I think I would prefer to keep that pleasure intact right till my final day.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Just drag some leaves and brush over my shell if ya' stumble across it.
:thumb:
That's the way I feel.

They could stuff my body in a trash bag and throw it in the creek, for all I care.
I ain't there no more.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I would tell, I'm pretty sure.
I could see doing that if there were things that needed to get in order.
Or that those closest to you might feel a wee bit betrayed because you kept it from them.

That would be on my con list.

glorydaz

At lot of that is on my pro list too.

But then I thought a little more on it, and started to why I would want to add an obvious sadness to the mix, since my life is already filled with love, comfort, and support from others.

You hit the nail on what my biggest concern with be - all the worry and sadness that would accompany such a revelation.

One of the greatest joys of my life is watching those around me be happy and carefree.

It's a rough one, and I've thought a lot about it, myself. I think I'd have to tell my kids, because they can get so taken up with their own lives, they may not spend as much time with me as they otherwise would, and then they'd be regretting that they didn't. I think that pretty much trumps the other pros and cons for me.

glorydaz

Then there's that. I'd hate to watch them suffer with knowing I only had a short time to live. Not easy....either way. :(

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
George Whitefield the great 18th century evangelist was due to preach to the masses on the morrow but he had been laid low during the day [probably with angina] his devoted carer looked in on him during the night.

At five o'clock AM when he checked Whitefields room he was delighted to see the great evangelist on his feet at the window, the crowds were already stirring in the early dawn. The servant greeted Whitefield and enquired after him.

Whitefield turned from the window and said "I am dying"

Nang

TOL Subscriber
I have not idea what that means?
:idunno:

"Other" is singular.

"Others" is plural.

I assume you meant to refer to the plural, but felt you might want to
clarify.

Can't imagine anyone not confiding in one's spouse, partner, parent, etc. who would be considered one's closest (legal) "other."

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's a rough one, and I've thought a lot about it, myself. I think I'd have to tell my kids, because they can get so taken up with their own lives, they may not spend as much time with me as they otherwise would, and then they'd be regretting that they didn't. I think that pretty much trumps the other pros and cons for me.
That's one thing I took care of years ago.

My children are grown, married with their own children.
When my husband (their father) passed away, they went out of their way to spend more time with me. Which is normal, and expected, up to a point. And I appreciated it.

But I had one son that I was closer to than any of my other children.
Not "love" wise, but that we had a connection that was more in tune with each other than my other children.
Mainly because our personalities were almost identical!
We loved the same shows, the same jokes, the same activities, etc.

He went so far out of his way to spend so much time with me (after my husband passed), that he was with me more than his own family.
I kept mentioning to him that it concerned me/
But he had made a promise to his dying father that he would take care of me afterwards. So, he was determined to keep his promise.

It took me a little while to convince him that he had taken that promise to an extreme that he shouldn't have.
He was neglecting his wife.
He was supposed to cling to his spouse, not his mother.
She was the person he became one with, not his mother.
He finally got the picture!

Anyway, after that, I had a talk with all my children and assured them that I would always know they loved me dearly, no matter how much time they could allot to spend with me.
I told them to never let the thought enter their mind that I EVER felt they did not totally love me, and that one of my greatest joys was watching them be proper spouses and parents. Because that's what I raised them to be!

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"Other" is singular.

"Others" is plural.

I assume you meant to refer to the plural, but felt you might want to
clarify.

Can't imagine anyone not confiding in one's spouse, partner, parent, etc. who would be considered one's closest (legal) "other."
Oh, it should have been "others" (I'll edit).
I'm a widow.