If Noah's flood was a legend why should anyone trust Jesus?

genuineoriginal

No, actually they don't have a hard time at all. Because believing THAT God created the universe doesn't depend on believing some ancient religious story of HOW God did it.

You have no reason to even believe God created the universe if you refuse to believe the record He provided about how He did it.

genuineoriginal

If believing in Jesus means one has to believe in supernatural feats, then one's belief is pretty weak and baseless to begin with. But if believing in Jesus means believing in the promise that God's love and forgiveness, acting in us and through us to each other, will heal us and save us from ourselves; then all any of us really needs to do is to try the idea on, and live with it for a while, and we will see for ourselves whether it's true or not. No magical, supernatural feats are needed. Nor is our believing in them, required.
If you don't believe in a supernatural God, then why bother believing at all?
You could get the same self-justification by chanting to yourself in the mirror, "Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better".

PureX

If you don't believe in a supernatural God, then why bother believing at all?
Because I have found that myself and my life are much improved by my believing in a loving and forgiving God, rather than by my believing in a 'supernatural' judgmental God.

alwight

Thank you for providing a new word for my vocabulary.
____
whinge
(h)winj
BRITISH informal
verb
gerund or present participle: whinging
complain persistently and in a peevish or irritating way.
____​

The proper American English (only true English language) version is whining
_____
whine
(h)wīn
verb
gerund or present participle: whining
give or make a long, high-pitched complaining cry or sound.
complain in a feeble or petulant way.
_____​
Old Ford transmissions whine but Stripe whinges.

genuineoriginal

Because I have found that myself and my life are much improved by my believing in a loving and forgiving God, rather than by my believing in a 'supernatural' judgmental God.

You could get the same self-justification by chanting to yourself in the mirror, "Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better".

PureX

I'm not looking for "self-justification". I am looking for a better, more meaningful existence. And I find that by my believing in a loving and forgiving God, I become a more loving and forgiving person, and my life then gets better, and my being here becomes more meaningful.

genuineoriginal

I'm not looking for "self-justification". I am looking for a better, more meaningful existence. And I find that by my believing in a loving and forgiving God, I become a more loving and forgiving person, and my life then gets better, and my being here becomes more meaningful.
Why do you have to reject half of God in order to do that?

Exodus 34:6-7
6 And the Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed, The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,
7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.​

genuineoriginal

I don't have to reject any of God. I just have to reject some of man's religious ideology. And that's not a loss to me.
You justify rejecting half of God by calling it "man's religious ideology"?

The judgment that is coming on all mankind is a central truth in Christianity.

Acts 24:24-25
24 And after certain days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, which was a Jewess, he sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ.
25 And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.​

Jesus came to give us hope that we will be spared the coming judgment through belief on Him.

By rejecting that, your Christianity is meaningless.

1 Corinthians 15:12-19
12 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?
13 But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:
14 And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.
15 Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.
16 For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:
17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
18 Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.
19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.​

PureX

You justify rejecting half of God by calling it "man's religious ideology"?
That's what it is.
The judgment that is coming on all mankind is a central truth in Christianity.
Christianity is a man-made religion. It's not Christ, and it's not God.
Jesus came to give us hope that we will be spared the coming judgment through belief on Him.
You are free to believe as you wish. And so am I.
By rejecting that, your Christianity is meaningless.
Not to me.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
purex reveals his true reluctance to accept God:

:nono:

Ben Masada

If Noah's Flood Was a Legend, Why Should Anyone Trust Jesus?

If Noah's Flood Was a Legend, Why Should Anyone Trust Jesus?

The Flood of Noah was not a legend but it was reported in the Torah according to the understanding of the time. I mean, to Noah and his family it seemed to have been over the whole earth aka worldly wide but, if we think of it from the logical point of view, it was local in my logical opinion, though I could still be wrong.

The text according to Matthew in the NT was not Jesus' and Matthew the Apostle of Jesus did not write that gospel. It was written by a Hellenist former disciple of Paul's which was later attributed to Matthew to enhance the credibility of the Church. (Mat. 9:9) So, Jesus had nothing to do with the Church, the text or the NT.

Last edited:

OCTOBER23

Sonnet ,

Did someone tell you to go soak your head

because you are all wet.

There is plenty of Evidence for a World Wide Flood.

Google it.

Jose Fly

So if a geologist/biologist/physicist/geneticist/etc. examines the data and concludes that there was no global flood ~4,500 years ago, they would therefore be justified in concluding that Christianity is a false religion?

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
So if a geologist/biologist/physicist/geneticist/etc. examines the data and concludes that there was no global flood ~4,500 years ago, they would therefore be justified in concluding that Christianity is a false religion?

If the claimed basis for Christian belief is a literal reading of the Bible, then the answer to your question is "Yes". That is the particular problem that YEC's have. Since the evidence clearly indicates the universe is a bit older than 6000 years, that there was no world wide flood 4000 +/- years ago and that Genesis special creation is not factual, sorry, belief in Christianity is just not rational

Jose Fly

If the claimed basis for Christian belief is a literal reading of the Bible, then the answer to your question is "Yes". That is the particular problem that YEC's have. Since the evidence clearly indicates the universe is a bit older than 6000 years, that there was no world wide flood 4000 +/- years ago and that Genesis special creation is not factual, sorry, belief in Christianity is just not rational

I just want to make sure I have the terms of the situation correct. According to our resident fundamentalists, it's....

No global flood = loss of credibility for Jesus = Christianity falsified

....correct?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I just want to make sure I have the terms of the situation correct. According to our resident fundamentalists, it's....

No global flood = loss of credibility for Jesus = Christianity falsified

....correct?

you've been here long enough to understand this

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Did you have anything on topic, or are you only here to be a troll? :troll: