HOW MANY HERE ON TOL HAVE READ THE ENTIRE BIBLE COVER TO COVER?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
HOW MANY HERE ON TOL HAVE READ THE ENTIRE BIBLE COVER TO COVER?

well, not this week, no

and my favorite is a leather bound version printed in 1853, given to my great great grandfather at his christening, by his grandfather who was a Mennonite minister

online I use biblegateway, kjv

1Way1Truth1Life

I have read it in its entirety. I have used several translations. I bring a pocket NASB with me to church. Mostly I use the NIV study Bible, starting with 1984 and the current 2011. Though I will reference other translations and the original languages when needed as no translation gets all the exact meanings of some of the original words.

chair

Depends on what you consider the Bible.
I've read all of the Bible that Jesus had. In the original, with the exception of a few Aramaic sections.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you have an opinion on the NIV? I do, and it isn't good. I think it is "over the line".

I have a generally low opinion of any translation based upon an eclectic textual tradition no matter what the translation philosophy being used (dynamic, literal, contextual, etc.).

For me, worship means hearing the word of God, so rather than stand in judgment of what the word of God actually is, I bind my conscience and submit to the translation of the ancient texts that were received by the church militant of my faith, that is, the TR for the NT and the Ben Chayyim, also called the "Bomberg Text" for the OT.

As for the NIV, Mr. Marlowe captures my concerns (and probably yours) nicely here:

"It is a very useful version for teaching novices, as a first exposure to the biblical text; but it is not to be relied upon for detailed study."

For more on his review see:
http://www.bible-researcher.com/niv.html

AMR

Last edited:

Nanja

Anyone can read the bible from cover to cover.

But unless one is Born of the Spirit they will never come to Truth!

~~~~~

dialm

BANNED
Banned
Anyone can read the bible from cover to cover.

But unless one is Born of the Spirit they will never come to Truth!

~~~~~

You are hanging in there real good Nanja. Keep going. You took the words right out of John Calvin's mouth. Just like I know you meant to.

Calvin also said it is time wasting to try and prove the bible to non believers. It is the Holy Spirit that makes belief in the scriptures possible. Not our arguments.