ECT How man found favor with God in the OT

nikolai_42

Read Deut. Chapter 6 __ all of it.

When did any of the Law pass away?

For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
Hebrews 10:1

For that matter, when did obedience pass away?

He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
John 14:21

By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

I John 5:2-4

Cross Reference

For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
Hebrews 10:1

For that matter, when did obedience pass away?

He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
John 14:21

By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

I John 5:2-4

What does Deut 6 have to say about what it is you ask me? Spaek about what God says.

nikolai_42

What does Deut 6 have to say about what it is you ask me? Spaek about what God says.

Obey, love, remember, fear and worship Him alone. And if you are thinking of the last verse and the term "our righteousness", remember that that is the same term as in Isaiah 64:6

But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away
Isaiah 64:6

The verse - as it reads - is addressing the actual righteousness. The actual following of the works of the Law. But there is a recognition of the lack of REAL righteousness before the Lord. That is, there is a truth in the fact that they had a form of righteousness. Otherwise the use of the term makes "righteousness" almost meaningless. But it was contaminated. It was the contamination that Job and Isaiah both recognized - even though they were men used of God and men who were considered (in whatever extent) righteous. They recognized their lack - that was the essential difference. The Law was never meant to be worn as a badge of how good "I" am. It served to show the holiness and righteousness of a just God (and how "I" fall short). I have no problem believing that David, Daniel and Job all were the way they were because of God. Totally depraved on their own but awakened to their need for God and drawn to Him.

Cross Reference

Obey, love, remember, fear and worship Him alone. And if you are thinking of the last verse and the term "our righteousness", remember that that is the same term as in Isaiah 64:6

But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away

The verse - as it reads - is addressing the actual righteousness. The actual following of the works of the Law. But there is a recognition of the lack of REAL righteousness before the Lord. That is, there is a truth in the fact that they had a form of righteousness. Otherwise the use of the term makes "righteousness" almost meaningless. But it was contaminated. It was the contamination that Job and Isaiah both recognized - even though they were men used of God and men who were considered (in whatever extent) righteous. They recognized their lack - that was the essential difference. The Law was never meant to be worn as a badge of how good "I" am. It served to show the holiness and righteousness of a just God (and how "I" fall short). I have no problem believing that David, Daniel and Job all were the way they were because of God. Totally depraved on their own but awakened to their need for God and drawn to Him.

<sigh> What did God say in Deut 6. Please stay in that chapter until you catch on.

God's Truth

It is never ever wrong in any way to obey God. God does not tell us our righteous acts are as filthy rags when we do what He says.
God was speaking to the Jews WHO WOULD NOT STOP SINNING. For instance, in the old law, the Jews would sin, then they had to give a sin offering as a righteous act, they had to give sin offerings just to worship God. God did not like it that they would sin then give a sin offering and not really be sorry for their sins.

Your false teachers taught you wrong about the filthy rags scripture.

Your righteous act of FAITH in Jesus is a filthy rag if you do not OBEY HIM.

God's Truth

The old law with CIRCUMCISION, and ANIMAL SACRIFICES passed away.

We have a NEW LAW.

Our new law is the old law with some changes. See Hebrews 7:12.

The changes are that we no longer have to keep clean by getting circumcised, observing special days, and a dietary law, and by using the blood of animals.

Jesus fulfilled those things. Those things were about Jesus coming one day to clean us with his blood.

nikolai_42

It is never ever wrong in any way to obey God. God does not tell us our righteous acts are as filthy rags when we do what He says.
God was speaking to the Jews WHO WOULD NOT STOP SINNING. For instance, in the old law, the Jews would sin, then they had to give a sin offering as a righteous act, they had to give sin offerings just to worship God. God did not like it that they would sin then give a sin offering and not really be sorry for their sins.

Your false teachers taught you wrong about the filthy rags scripture.

Your righteous act of FAITH in Jesus is a filthy rag if you do not OBEY HIM.

What does righteousness mean if it doesn't imply ... being or doing right? To call sin righteousness...how does that fly? The point is that Isaiah uses the term righteousness. Should he rather have used the term "sin"?

nikolai_42

The old law with CIRCUMCISION, and ANIMAL SACRIFICES passed away.

We have a NEW LAW.

Our new law is the old law with some changes. See Hebrews 7:12.

The changes are that we no longer have to keep clean by getting circumcised, observing special days, and a dietary law, and by using the blood of animals.

Jesus fulfilled those things. Those things were about Jesus coming one day to clean us with his blood.

My question about the Law passing away was because CR was asking how man found favor with God in the OT. If the Law is no longer valid, then there could be a different way of finding favor with God. But I find no evidence of that. So the question remains - when did anyone find favor with God by being righteously, perfectly obedient?

Cross Reference

My question about the Law passing away was because CR was asking how man found favor with God in the OT. If the Law is no longer valid, then there could be a different way of finding favor with God. But I find no evidence of that. So the question remains - when did anyone find favor with God by being righteously, perfectly obedient?

Why did God call David a man after His own heart? Was David in possession of such righteousness he could save himself?? Of course not. Did he find favor God otherwise? Yes. Name some others, Nick. They are there to see by any cursory reading of the OT.

Cross Reference

melchizedek would be an interesting person to discuss within this subject
I thought of him, however, there is no account of him needing his crops blessed . . . and he didn't have a father or mother. . . . ;)

I wonder why no one has bothered to comment on what God had to say in Deut. 6. And then there is Isa 48:18,19 KJV with God referring back to Deut. 6 and other missed opportunities for Israel. I guess they believe the advent of Jesus changed all of that and obeying God no longer is deemed a priority. . . . . "What fools the mortals be!" . . . Puck

God's Truth

What does righteousness mean if it doesn't imply ... being or doing right? To call sin righteousness...how does that fly? The point is that Isaiah uses the term righteousness. Should he rather have used the term "sin"?

The righteous acts were things like giving an animal to sacrifice for your sin, but not really being sorry for you sin.

A righteous act of giving to the poor, but hating the poor...do you see what it means now?

God's Truth

It has always been about obeying God.

In the time of Adam and Eve, it was about obeying God with one thing...not to eat from a certain tree.

In the time of Noah, it was about obeying by not doing wicked things.

As for with Abraham, it was about obeying everything God said. God even tested Abraham's faith to the point of sacrificing his son.

As for the time of Moses, it was about obeying the ceremonial works of the law.

As for us now, it is about obeying Jesus' teachings.

It has always been about believing God and obeying Him.

God's Truth

Why did God call David a man after His own heart? Was David in possession of such righteousness he could save himself?? Of course not. Did he find favor God otherwise? Yes. Name some others, Nick. They are there to see by any cursory reading of the OT.

The Bible says that David was a man after God's own heart because David did everything that God told him to do.

Acts 13:22
After removing Saul, he made David their king. God testified concerning him: 'I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.'