How important is the Sabbath?

daqq

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that but it doesn't matter one way or the other because it doesn't say that in the text. It simply says not to allow people to judge you concerning sabbaths. If someone thinks you're supposed to observe the sabbath and you don't, they might judge you (see this thread for examples of exactly that). And the reverse is true as well. If a weaker brother doesn't eat pig meat, for example, then don't cause him to stumble by giving him cause to be offended by your liberty. But the one who observes such things is the WEAKER brother, not the other way around and so you certainly should not let him judge you because of your liberty.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Funny how people quote such things and twist them around to suit their own viewpoints not realizing that Paul is always speaking of his own weaknesses and how it is that when he is weak Messiah is strong in and through him. That would likely be due, in the strictly physical sense, to the high probability that Paul was a vegetarian, (for "Thou shalt not murder-kill", period, without stipulation), eating only "broma" which concerns only those foods which Elohim has openly proclaimed from the beginning as foods to be consumed by mankind for physical nourishment, (Genesis 1:29). If one looks into most of the passages where Paul speaks of such things the same will find in most occasions that he uses the various forms of the word broma; and when a person looks honestly at what broma actually stands for in the older definitions it completely changes the meaning of what he is saying in most of those passages.

CherubRam

"ye shall bring a sheaf of the firstfruits of your harvest unto the priest:
And he shall wave the sheaf before the LORD, to be accepted for you:
on the morrow after the sabbath the priest shall wave it."
Leviticus 23:10b-11

Leviticus 23:15-21 describes Feast of Pentecost, not Feast of Firstfruits.

[FONT=&quot]Firstfruits[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Feast of Unleavened Bread is a feast that is often mistaken for Passover. Passover is one 24 hour period, while the Feast of Unleavened Bread lasts for seven days. The Feast of Unleavened Bread is also a rest day where no work is to be done. That would also exclude attending a grave site to prep a body on the Feast of Unleavened Bread. Passover was always on the Seventh Day of Rest, Preparation Day was always the day before, and the Feast of Unleavened Bread was always the day after the Sabbath Day of Rest and the Passover. A biblical definition of firstfruits would include the first of most anything that come from the ground or animals. The people would go home on Monday and gather their offerings and bring it back to the temple. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Luke 23:56[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Then they went home and prepared spices and perfumes. But they rested on the Sabbath in obedience to the commandment.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The biblical calendar is a 364 day a year calendar, which places the holidays on the same day of the week every year. When Christ was hung on the stake, both calendars were in use; the Biblical Calendar, and the Civil Hebrew Calendar. Which calendar do you think Christ and the disciples used; the Biblical Calendar, or the Civil Hebrew Calendar?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All three of these holidays involved firstfruit offerings at the Temple. [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Passover[/FONT][FONT=&quot] was in the early spring, and it included firstfruits from the first harvest of barley. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Shavuot[/FONT][FONT=&quot] was in the late spring, and it included firstfruits from the wheat harvest. Among the many different offerings given, was a "wave offering" of two loaves of leavened bread. This was also a firstfruits offering. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sukkot[/FONT][FONT=&quot] was in the fall, and it was the final harvest which included firstfruits of olives and grapes. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

daqq

Is it written that Jesus ate pig meat? How about Paul, did he eat pig meat?

And what about the following statement from Peter?

Acts 10:9-14 ASV
9 Now on the morrow, as they were on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray, about the sixth hour:
10 and he became hungry, and desired to eat: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance;
11 and he beholdeth the heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending, as it were a great sheet, let down by four corners upon the earth:
12 wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts and creeping things of the earth and birds of the heaven.
13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill and eat.
14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common and unclean.

How many YEARS was this statement after Mark 7:19 which the bacon lovers love to quote?
Peter says "I have NEVER eaten anything that is common or unclean!" :chuckle:

CherubRam

[FONT=&quot]The first day of the week to the Jews is Sunday. The first day of the week to the Romans was Monday. The first day of the week after the two Sabbath is Monday. The seventh day Sabbath was about to begin when Christ died on the stake. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matthew 28:1
After the Sabbath, [plural] at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb.

"first day of the week" According to who or what?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If Matthew 28 is addressing Romans, then it may mean Monday. And if it is speaking of being after the Sabbaths, [plural] then that also would be Monday. That Saturday and Sunday were both Sabbaths. It was against biblical law for the women to attend Christ grave that Sunday.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In Satan worship Sunday is his day. The Sabbath of the lord was Sunday. Satan was also called lord, and Sunday was his day. Just a trivial note.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Scripture says "three days" and "three nights." There is no doubt from what is written that Christ died just before sundown on Friday the 13th.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Three days and three nights from Friday before sundown would be:

Night 1 - Friday night
Day 1 - Saturday
Night 2 Saturday night
Day 2 - Sunday
Night 3 - Sunday night
Day 3 - Monday

Putting the resurrection at Monday before sundown.[/FONT]

CherubRam

Saying it doesn't make it so.

Colossians 2:16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ. 18 Let no one cheat you of your reward, taking delight in false humility and worship of angels, intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, 19 and not holding fast to the Head, from whom all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grows with the increase that is from God.

20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations— 21 “Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,” 22 which all concern things which perish with the using—according to the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.​

It's astounding to me the tenacity with which people cling to doctrines that are completely blown apart by the quotation of a single passage of scripture!

I mean, there's not even any argument that needs to be explained. No complex connects that need to be made between various passages in diverse places throughout the bible. It's literally as simple as reading two paragraphs in one book of the New Testament and you've got the whole thing settled.

I know that it won't convince you. You're convinced of your doctrine by things other than the plain reading of scripture - most people are. But this debate was over before it started. All you can do is make every attempt to explain away what Paul clearly states. That the sabbaths were a shadow of things to come. Those who are in Christ have entered into His rest, into the REAL Sabbath and have no need for such shadows any longer.

I just have the same question for you that Paul had for the Galatians...
Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Christ and the disciples kept the Sabbath, along with the new converts. It was the catholics who changed the Sabbath to Sunday.

CherubRam

First Sunday Law enacted by Emperor Constantine -
March, 321 A.D.
"On the venerable Day of the Sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed. In the country, however, persons engaged in agriculture may freely and lawfully continue their pursuits; because it often happens that another day is not so suitable for grain-sowing or for vine-planting; lest by neglecting the proper moment for such operations the bounty of heaven should be lost." (Given the 7th day of March, Crispus and Constantine being consuls each of them for the second time [A.D. 321].)

Source: Codex Justinianus, lib. 3, tit. 12, 3; trans. in Philip Schaff, History of the Christian Church, Vol. 3 (5th ed.; New York: Scribner, 1902), p. 380, note 1.

clefty

I don't believe He was talking about a literal 7th day Sabbath.

Which other sabbath? Passover? Now you really are in a corner as it was given much later than the seventh day sabbath and well, as you argue, to only Israel.

Is marriage only for Israel? Both sabbath and marriage were instituted about the same time for the same people.

If He is the Sabbath, as I believe, then all those out of the nations who come to Him are in the Sabbath rest.
Oh NOW it's for everyone? Funny how this "new" covenant is established with "take eat this is My body" said to a room full of people from just one tribe but you want the promise without the terms.

Heb 4:9 says a sabbath keeping remains not just rest...

Thankfully as in Him there remains much work to do for the harvest is waiting and persecutions to endure...oh and keep my commandments which are His Father's just as He kept them.

It goes back to Jesus saying that He fulfilled all the Law and Prophets. So we need to line up our beliefs in Him as the fulfillment. Jesus said that He was lifted up so that all men could come up to Him. Perhaps you just don't see the spiritual application. When I read the OT, Jesus is all I see and how He fulfilled it and that is my perspective. I do not look for things that I think were left undone. I believe He satisfied it all.

So you are free to kill steal lie and fornicate? The Law being fulfilled so you don't need to...its destroyed...

The Law and the Sabbath was given ONLY to the nation of/the children of Israel. This is restated over and over again throughout the OT.
So we ARE free to kill steal lie and fornicate...?

Deut 5
1 And Moses called all Israel, and said unto them, Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your ears this day, that ye may learn them, and keep, and do them.

2 The Lord our God made a covenant with us in Horeb.

3 The Lord made not this covenant with our fathers, but with us, even us, who are all of us here alive this day.

Ummm...right. Of course Noah didn't keep Passover...he had to build an ark as His wrath did not pass over. Abraham had no need of a temple as he spoke face to face. These are different covenants but the Law remains the same. And faith then obedience to instruction is the pattern...

Not according to Deut 5:3

Exactly according to Deut 5:3 as their fathers not only weren't passed over but were forgotten and they needed to be reminded as to their faith and obedience and to what.

According to Deut 5:3 that is not what God was referring to.

Ummm yes it was...Abraham did not have this covenant but he did have its terms- faith and obedience. As if Abraham would reject the Mosiac covenant. He was even circumcised at 99...

The Mosaic Law was not an eternal Law. It was not given and unknown until God gave to Israel at Mt Sinai.
Moses' law? given by Who?

And of course Adam didn't have a Passover or a temple nor did he have a Savior with a covenant with one tribe of Israel known as the Davidic covenant. But was Adam allowed to murder steal lie or fornicate etc? Nope.

God copied His law from mankind??? just wow.:comeout:
you are the one going on about it is Moses' law and not eternal and not known before Sinai...

Clearly people knew right from wrong. That is born into us. But the specific Law that God gave to Israel, was unknown until that point.
people also know they need a day of rest...their Creator made sure of that and clarified which day...

He also made woman for man but some sinners reject her too...

No. I am born again of the Spirit of Christ and of His Living Water. I am in Him, the Vine, the Tree of Life, the Light of the World. He is my Savior, not Israel.
and He would have you do what...not keep His Father's will that we obey Him?

Go and sin no more means exactly that...be mindful of what is pointing out sin...the Law.

There is only one covenant - those who are washed in the Blood of Jesus Christ. Those in Him are ALL citizens of Heaven. Jew and Gentile alike - there is no difference in Christ. His Law/His Covenant is written on the hearts of those who believe. hint: it's not the Mosaic Law.
so the Noah covenant done away with?

Adam's?

Its not calling out "Lord Lord" but doing the will of His Father...a Lawgiver and Judge BTW

The Mosaic Law Covenant forbade direct access to God. Only the High Priest was allowed into the Holy of Holies one time per year - on the Day of Atonement. When the veil was torn in half, God reconciled all men to Himself through Christ at our High Priest of Melchizedek. The blood of shed animals that were sprinkled on the mercy seat came to an end. Christ's blood was sprinkled on the mercy seat in Heaven - the one and for all sacrifice. There was never again separation from God through Christ. Read Heb 8 and 9.

Without Law there is no Mercy.

Fault was found with the Law because it could not atone for sin enough to reconcile us to God.

There were no sacrifices for intentional sin. What you mean to say is as dead as the rock it was written on the Law had no Spirit to perfect us.

Even though God accepted the slain animals sacrificed for the atonement of sin, it was never enough. In Christ, it is Finished. The Mosaic Law is not in my mind and heart. Perhaps for you, a continuing bloody Law with the blood of animals is preferable to the one Sacrifice of Christ. :doh:
Indeed in Him it is finished...not the Law but its curse.

That Law will be needed at judgement to reveal who obeyed and who did not.

These are they that kept the commandments yah and the testimony of Yahushua.

Jesus completely fulfilled, satisfied and replaced the Old Covenantal Mosaic Law.

Pray your flight be not on the Sabbath...although your view is the majority and won't be the persecuted one.

Last edited:

CherubRam

Second Sabbath law.
The Council of Laodicea of around 365 AD decreed 59 laws, #29:
"Christians must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honoring the Lord's Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ."

Satan was also called "lord," and his day is Sunday.

clefty

Sabbath is for God to declare His sovereignty over our world. That's why all today's humans rest in our weekends, the Jews observe the Sabbath and Christians attend Sunday services.
yup Christians put in about 2-3 hours for what was intended as all day.

Matthew 19:18-19 (NIV)
“Which ones?” he inquired. Jesus replied, “ ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony,
honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’”
"Keep the commandments" was the first answer. The rich man persisted with "which ones?"

Perhaps He knew which ones the man struggled with.

But the initial instruction was "keep the commandments."

Observing Sabbath is not mentioned. Christians attend gatherings we call Sunday services instead.

Are Christians allowed to covet then? Have another God? Make idols? Profane His name?

How many saved Christians seriously observed Sabbath in the past 2000 years? In contrary, how many saved Christians attended gatherings such as Sunday services in the past 2000 years? To me, this is all foreseen 2000 years ago and that's why Sabbath is not there when Jesus mentioned the commandments.

So it's a numbers game? Remember broad is the path that leads to destruction.

Man's traditions have always been more popular.

Maybe because idolatry was not mentioned...

achduke

I do not mean offense to you, I was just trying to make a point that this verse was written for those that observe these things. I do not think it was written for those that do not observe them. The context was not to follow man made traditions.

clefty

"...the sabbath, which are a shadow of things to come..."

Yes the tense is so telling. If they were done away with he would have said "which were a shadow"

Many use the analogy of the Law as being a tutor which we no longer need, as if somehow we are allowed to go against or change what we are taught.

Last edited:

TweetyBird

Psalms 89:34 KJV
(34) My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.

Zech 11
9 Then said I, I will not feed you: that that dieth, let it die; and that that is to be cut off, let it be cut off; and let the rest eat every one the flesh of another.

10 And I took my staff, even Beauty, and cut it asunder, that I might break my covenant which I had made with all the people. 11 And it was broken in that day: and so the poor of the flock that waited upon me knew that it was the word of the Lord. 12 And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. 13 And the Lord said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prised at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the Lord. 14 Then I cut asunder mine other staff, even Bands, that I might break the brotherhood between Judah and Israel.

TweetyBird

Christ and the disciples kept the Sabbath, along with the new converts. It was the catholics who changed the Sabbath to Sunday.

No they did not. Sunday worship was part of Christianity from the very morning Christ rose from the dead on the first day of the week, which on our calendar is Sunday.

TweetyBird

First Sunday Law enacted by Emperor Constantine -
March, 321 A.D.
"On the venerable Day of the Sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed. In the country, however, persons engaged in agriculture may freely and lawfully continue their pursuits; because it often happens that another day is not so suitable for grain-sowing or for vine-planting; lest by neglecting the proper moment for such operations the bounty of heaven should be lost." (Given the 7th day of March, Crispus and Constantine being consuls each of them for the second time [A.D. 321].)

Source: Codex Justinianus, lib. 3, tit. 12, 3; trans. in Philip Schaff, History of the Christian Church, Vol. 3 (5th ed.; New York: Scribner, 1902), p. 380, note 1.

Sunday was the day of worship for the Lord, because of the resurrection of Christ, long before Constantine was a twinkle in the eye of his father.

TweetyBird

Second Sabbath law.
The Council of Laodicea of around 365 AD decreed 59 laws, #29:
"Christians must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honoring the Lord's Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ."

Satan was also called "lord," and his day is Sunday.

In 1582, Pope Gregory XIII cut 10 days out of the calendar. So your sabbath should be on a Wednesday! You're following the Pope's dates!

clefty

Sunday was the day of worship for the Lord, because of the resurrection of Christ, long before Constantine was a twinkle in the eye of his father.

Is that what He said?

He revealed Himself that day because it was the Festival of First Fruits and He was well, you know, the first fruit. And that festival was designed by the One who made the Sabbath.

No word from Either that this design sabotaged itself by cancelling its original piece.

clefty

No they did not. Sunday worship was part of Christianity from the very morning Christ rose from the dead on the first day of the week, which on our calendar is Sunday.

That morning His followers didn't even believe He rose...but were hiding.

The only thing that happened that morning was that the tomb was discovered empty. He was already risen.

Just like His miracles foreshadowed, healing and refreshment does happen on Sabbath.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

It was Paul's custom to remember the Sabbath.

Acts 17:2 Then Paul, as his custom was, went in to them and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures.