Homeschooling vs. Public Schooling

JoyfulRook

granite1010 said:
Look, Dread, I don't know what crawled up your orifice and died, and I really don't know why you've decided to grind an axe with me. Quit playing this BS mind-reading game, all right? I'm honestly not sure; I can't rule out the existence of God and can't prove it one way or another so I'm open to possibilities. I don't dismiss it completely. And I'd appreciate it if you quit implying I'm being intellectually dishonest here. You don't like what I have to say, put me on ignore or get lost.

Next.
Calm down. I'm not tring to attack you here.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Dread Helm said:
Calm down. I'm not tring to attack you here.

Really. Could've fooled me, kid. Get out more, grow up, and don't pull this I Know What You're Really Thinking garbage. Not if you want a discussion to go anywhere. Savvy?

Anybody else wanna pick this thread up, it got hijacked.

beanieboy

Christine said:
Subjects will be "challenging" whether you take them at home or at school.

I don't know much about home schooling, so what is the hardest part of it?

Like, the hardest thing about public school was dealing with other kids.
In MySoCalledLife, Angela says, 'Highschool is a battlefield for your heart."

You spend a lot of time worrying about what everyone else things, about dealing with peer pressure, taunting, etc. , and you have no living skills to deal with it, so it all cuts deeper.

What about home school?

JoyfulRook

beanieboy said:
Hmmm. I'm not sure.

It's one of the hardest things about life I'd say. Dealing with other people.

Christine

beanieboy said:

You spend a lot of time worrying about what everyone else things, about dealing with peer pressure, taunting, etc. , and you have no living skills to deal with it, so it all cuts deeper.

What about home school?
:think: I don't know. I don't have a problem "dealing with other kids" as your quote says. I struggle with some subjects, but even those struggles aren't a huge problem.

Elaine

There are so many benefits to homeschooling that it's hard for me to think of what might be the hardest thing about it. I guess it might be that it's hard to stick to a schedule sometimes and to get your work done, but that's not much of a problem since you can go into the summer with it if you want/need to, and, anyway, Dad and Mom help us stay on track. :think:

erinmarie

beanieboy said:

What about home school?

I went to public school and the hardest thing about it for me certainly wasn't dealing with other kids, that was actually my favorite thing! I can't stand being by myself and am a very social person, I personally would have been ticked at my parents if they would have tried to keep me at home! But then again, I was ticked at my parents for not letting me go to parties and for punishing me when I talked back....
If they would have decided to teach me at home, I'm sure I would have benifited from it.

The hardest thing I see when I look into the future and the homeschooling of my children is getting everything done in a day. All the housework and schoolwork, and still keeping them active enough that they're not shut up inside all day long. We've had to start imposing a stricter schedule on my soon to be five year old, and although I hate doing it now, I know it will be greatly beneficial in the long run. I've also signed her up for indoor soccer and a homeschoolers gym class at the Y. Sounds fun! :D

Christine

erinmarie said:
The hardest thing I see when I look into the future and the homeschooling of my children is getting everything done in a day. All the housework and schoolwork, and still keeping them active enough that they're not shut up inside all day long. We've had to start imposing a stricter schedule on my soon to be five year old, and although I hate doing it now, I know it will be greatly beneficial in the long run. I've also signed her up for indoor soccer and a homeschoolers gym class at the Y. Sounds fun! :D
Yes, as Elaine says, for our family, it can be tough to keep to that schedule. Then again, the reason we "stray" from it is often due to unforseen family emergencies.

Elaine

And, in the case of such emergencies, it's much simpler to deal with temporarily setting aside schoolwork that it would be if we were in public school. :)

monochrome

I was homeschooled between forth and eighth grade. From there I moved onto christian high school, so the differance in social interaction was negligable. Heh. This joke is funny if you've seen how tiny my high school was.

- m -

Granite

Hall of Fame
monochrome said:
I was homeschooled between forth and eighth grade. From there I moved onto christian high school, so the differance in social interaction was negligable. Heh. This joke is funny if you've seen how tiny my high school was.

- m -

The one I attended in Maine had twenty-three students in my graduating class. Although the sister school we had "up northern way" was twice that size.

monochrome

granite1010 said:
The one I attended in Maine had twenty-three students in my graduating class. Although the sister school we had "up northern way" was twice that size.

Ha! I graduated in the top ten of my class because, and only because, There were only ten kids in my class. Well, there were eleven, but I had one of the heathens kicked out like a good christian boy should. :)

ShadowMaid

Hmm... the hardest thing about homeschooling is trying to teach yourself. It's much more fun with a parent, or even a sibling.

My family isn't exactly social, but if we were, we wouldn't have a problem. :)

Caledvwlch

monochrome said:
Ha! I graduated in the top ten of my class because, and only because, There were only ten kids in my class. Well, there were eleven, but I had one of the heathens kicked out like a good christian boy should. :)
You and me both brother... Except my class was nine deep.

Jeremiah85

ShadowMaid said:
Hmm... the hardest thing about homeschooling is trying to teach yourself. It's much more fun with a parent, or even a sibling.
I never quite understood how I was supposed to teach myself Algebra II. This was a basic timeline of each lesson: :shocked::bang: :eek: :idea:

ShadowMaid

Jeremiah85 said:
I never quite understood how I was supposed to teach myself Algebra II. This was a basic timeline of each lesson: :shocked::bang: :eek: :idea:

I was having the very same problem this year, so I'm going to work through the summer and move into 12th next fall. :)

monochrome

Jeremiah85 said:

I followed a very strict pattern for completing algebra while in Homeschool. I stole the answer key, and faked every few answers to make it look like I wasn't perfect. Then I took classes in highschool where I couldn't cheat and failed miserably. Guess that'll teach me to not steal the answer key...

- m -