Histrionic Personality Disorder

fishrovmen

I was wondering if anyone here on TOL is in the Behavioral/Mental Health profession and might be able to guide me to understand this particular disorder.

fzappa13

I'm no pro but I have noted these symptoms seem to occur most often in pubescent males and menopausal females which is why I have long advocated their banishment to isolated islands until they have overcome their respective maladies.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I'm no pro but I have noted these symptoms seem to occur most often in pubescent males and menopausal females which is why I have long advocated their banishment to isolated islands until they have overcome their respective maladies.

We all tend to get into histrionics--especially on this website.

Histrionics isn't the same thing as Histrionic Personality Disorder, which, as an actual diagnostic category, isn't something to misattribute or ridicule.

fishrovmen, if you have someone in your life whom you know or suspect has this borderline personality disorder (with behaviors specific to the category and characterized by "the three P's:" persistent, pervasive and pathological), I sincerely hope you will look to a professional in real life, and won't be tempted to discuss the individual in ways which would violate that person's privacy. I'm not saying you have any intention of doing that, only stating my hope that you won't.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I was wondering if anyone here on TOL is in the Behavioral/Mental Health profession and might be able to guide me to understand this particular disorder.

I am a professional, retired, yes. What do you what to know?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Histrionic Personality Disorder :idunno: Unforgiveness Mt 6:14-15, Jas 2:12-13

"You are never more like God than when you are forgiving." ~ John MacArthur

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Persons with Histrionic Personality Disorder* are characterized by a pattern of excessive emotionality and attention seeking. They are uncomfortable in situations where they are not the center of attention. People with this disorder are often quite flirtatious or seductive, and like to dress in a manner that draws attention to them. They can be flamboyant and theatrical, exhibiting an exaggerated degree of emotional expression. Yet simultaneously, their emotional expression is vague, shallow, and lacking in detail. This gives them the appearance of being disingenuous and insincere. Moreover, the drama and exaggerated emotional expression often embarrasses friends and acquaintances as they may embrace even casual acquaintances with excessive ardor, or may sob uncontrollably over some minor sentimentality.
People with Histrionic Personality Disorder can appear flighty and fickle. Their behavioral style often gets in the way of truly intimate relationships, but it is also the case that they are uncomfortable being alone. They tend to feel depressed when they are not the center of attention. When they are in relationships, they often imagine relationships to be more intimate in nature than they actually are. People with Histrionic Personality Disorder tend to be suggestible; that is, they are easily influenced by other people's suggestions and opinions.

This is fairly good on DSM 5
Histrionic Personality Disorder DSM-5 301.50

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Persons with Histrionic Personality Disorder* are characterized by a pattern of excessive emotionality and attention seeking. They are uncomfortable in situations where they are not the center of attention. People with this disorder are often quite flirtatious or seductive, and like to dress in a manner that draws attention to them. They can be flamboyant and theatrical, exhibiting an exaggerated degree of emotional expression. Yet simultaneously, their emotional expression is vague, shallow, and lacking in detail. This gives them the appearance of being disingenuous and insincere. Moreover, the drama and exaggerated emotional expression often embarrasses friends and acquaintances as they may embrace even casual acquaintances with excessive ardor, or may sob uncontrollably over some minor sentimentality.
People with Histrionic Personality Disorder can appear flighty and fickle. Their behavioral style often gets in the way of truly intimate relationships, but it is also the case that they are uncomfortable being alone. They tend to feel depressed when they are not the center of attention. When they are in relationships, they often imagine relationships to be more intimate in nature than they actually are. People with Histrionic Personality Disorder tend to be suggestible; that is, they are easily influenced by other people's suggestions and opinions.

yep, i have that too !!!!! i'll be darned

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

Yep. Regrettably, I certainly have experienced aspects of this in myself.

Danoh

Does it seem to you that would manifest differently in some ways, in straight males (other than the Metrosexual), than, say, in women, and homosexuals?

fishrovmen

I am a professional, retired, yes. What do you what to know?

I am looking for a recommended resource to learn how they think and operate and what patterns and behavior to look for. Since I posted this, having researched more, I realize that there is no typical "mold" that each Histrionic follows; rather there are countless sub types and hybrids with other cluster types. Thank you Ktoyou.

fishrovmen

Histrionics isn't the same thing as Histrionic Personality Disorder, which, as an actual diagnostic category, isn't something to misattribute or ridicule.

fishrovmen, if you have someone in your life whom you know or suspect has this borderline personality disorder (with behaviors specific to the category and characterized by "the three P's:" persistent, pervasive and pathological), I sincerely hope you will look to a professional in real life, and won't be tempted to discuss the individual in ways which would violate that person's privacy. I'm not saying you have any intention of doing that, only stating my hope that you won't.
Yes I know someone who exhibits most of the symptoms, but they refuse to see a professional, so I am left to do the research. I would never share personal and detailed information on a public forum.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Does it seem to you that would manifest differently in some ways, in straight males (other than the Metrosexual), than, say, in women, and homosexuals?

There is way more diagnoses of HPD in women. You see, all these have to do with conflicted internal objects.

If one is dependent on other for there own internal objects organization, then when they seek a balance through attention as lovable and alluring they lean to HDP, if they seek it by being the independent above all others, yet any disagreement, they go ballistic, they lean to NDP.

What sex does which more?

When they bounce all around, with "you love me, you love me, you so much love me" "No, you hate me, you really hate me, I hate you." They are BDP

When they just give up and act like a Schizo and have an attitude of futility the lean SDP

Much theory is on BDP, and many fall as less severe, and SPD is worse.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I am looking for a recommended resource to learn how they think and operate and what patterns and behavior to look for. Since I posted this, having researched more, I realize that there is no typical "mold" that each Histrionic follows; rather there are countless sub types and hybrids with other cluster types. Thank you Ktoyou.

The further you go unto it, the more you need to be in a grad level psych program. Otherwise it is like trying to take a drink from a fire hydrant.

Danoh

There is way more diagnoses of HPD in women. You see, all these have to do with conflicted internal objects.

If one is dependent on other for there own internal objects organization, then when they seek a balance through attention as lovable and alluring they lean to HDP, if they seek it by being the independent above all others, yet any disagreement, they go ballistic, they lean to NDP.

What sex does which more?

When they bounce all around, with "you love me, you love me, you so much love me" "No, you hate me, you really hate me, I hate you." They are BDP

When they just give up and act like a Schizo and have an attitude of futility the lean SDP

Much theory is on BDP, and many fall as less severe, and SPD is worse.

Do you believe that is "cure-able"?