Following the London attacks - what next?

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Its time to stop going easy on terrorists in Western countries. Anyone, committing a terrorist attack, whatever their age should face a mandatory death sentence. Any citizen fighting for terrorist causes overseas should lose their citizenship and barred from re-entering the country. Any organisation supporting terrorists should be banned, their leaders deported, all their property seized. Rewards can be given to anyone giving information to authorities that proves helpful in uncovering terrorist cells and plots etc. Anyone supporting or participating in terrorist activities forfeits the protections of the law. The names of terrorists involved in terrorist outrages should not be given in the media. Deny them the publicity they crave.Stop giving them publicity!

First you have to be willing to elect leaders with the guts to implement what you have espoused above. It takes political courage...something that is in short supply these days.

musterion

First you have to be willing to elect leaders with the guts to implement what you have espoused above. It takes political courage...something that is in short supply these days.

And THAT is why, short of massive, continent-wide civil war against the global order, most of Europe is as good as dead already.

eider

You and your fellow citizens are in my thoughts in these difficult times. I had the pleasure of visiting London very recently, walking either in or near where the recent attacks have taken place, and I saw multitudes of people from countless cultures peacefully going about their business. London is an amazing city in a beautiful country, where history weaves in and out of modernity in ways that our very young country cannot begin to relate to. I hope to get back there again someday.

Thankyou for your kind thoughts.
I do love reading your posts.

Arthur Brain

No we are not!
The Whole World from Kabul through Turkey to the US is simply experiencing another form of extremist terrorism.
Most sadly, we are used to terrorism here.

We won't be drawn in to bigoted hatred because of it.

Musty reminds me of this guy...:

giphy.gif

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

eider

Thank you, and likewise. :)

I thought you might appreciate this:

London, ‘reeling’? The city that weathered Nazi bombs pushes back against fear.

People fleeing #LondonBridge but the bloke on the right isn't spilling a drop. God Bless the Brits!

DBbj41LUAAAvELf.jpg:large

@nytimes This is what "reeling" means in British English

DBdieUNXkAA-5Fa.jpg:small

(I wish there was a way to properly embed tweets on TOL.)

Excellent Post! :D

At this time 50,000 young people are at the Manchester 'Love' concert with Ariana Grande, raising funds for the victims of terrorist attacks. She sang 'somewhere over the rainbow' and the whole crowd joined in..... even on television speakers the effect was brilliant. Clearly our young people are quite as special as those who lived underneath the bombings in Liverpool, London, Coventry and other cities during WW11.

These attacks will continue, but the message from the people is quite clear........

musterion

No we are not!
The Whole World from Kabul through Turkey to the US is simply experiencing another form of extremist terrorism.
Most sadly, we are used to terrorism here.

We won't be drawn in to bigoted hatred because of it.

There is nothing bigoted nor hateful about simply acknowledging an enemy who is bent on your conquest or your death.

What is hateful is, the longer you wait to do it the more people will die needlessly because of your fear. THAT is hate.

chair

There is nothing bigoted nor hateful about simply acknowledging an enemy who is bent on your conquest or your death.

What is hateful is, the longer you wait to do it the more people will die needlessly because of your fear. THAT is hate.

Please explain exactly what you suggest doing, and a few details about how you would go about doing it.
If you want to nuke them- what cities will you nuke? How will you choose them?
If you want to expel them from your country- how do you identify them, how do you force them out of your country, where do you send them to?

what precisely is your idea of a plan?

marhig

You and your fellow citizens are in my thoughts in these difficult times. I had the pleasure of visiting London very recently, walking either in or near where the recent attacks have taken place, and I saw multitudes of people from countless cultures peacefully going about their business. London is an amazing city in a beautiful country, where history weaves in and out of modernity in ways that our very young country cannot begin to relate to. I hope to get back there again someday.
I was there recently too. My family organised a surprise visit for me. I felt so safe, I even felt safe at night walking around the streets in the centre and hopping on and off the buses. I thought of terrorism, and I tried to put it to the back of my mind, but every now and again it kept popping in.

I was on Westminster bridge on New year's Eve, and I thought that they could attack then, where I live in the UK, there aren't many people from Arab countries, so I was very wary. I stood on the bridge for hours waiting for the fireworks, and there were 3 young muslim men next to me, I was afraid because of what I had read in the news, anyway, it got to the point where I couldn't stand anymore as I have arthritis in the knees, and I had to sit on the pavement, my husband was helping me. But one of the young men seeing me in pain, also came over to see if I needed help, and the other 2 were willing to help if needed too, and he was so sweet, and he offered to help me up again if I needed it later, but I was fine with my husband.

I felt so bad that I had judged them and all other muslims there, Satan tries to put fear in our hearts, and he will try to make us tum against one another, yet out of all the people there, it was these 3 young muslim men that offered to help me. There were hundreds of muslims there, and no trouble at all. I'm ashamed of myself for thinking like that.

I have never felt that way since, I should never have judged others on the outside, as it's the heart that counts.

eider

What..... you? .....able to recognise an enemy?
Pah! If you got burgled you'd go and blame the nearest person who didn't fit with your twisted interpretation of life, ideology, and .... frankly, Christianity.

Ha! Think of all the innocents that you would kill in your frustrated efforts to protect your sorry.... self.

You've lost the plot, in every possible way.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I was there recently too. My family organised a surprise visit for me. I felt so safe, I even felt safe at night walking around the streets in the centre and hopping on and off the buses. I thought of terrorism, and I tried to put it to the back of my mind, but every now and again it kept popping in.

I was on Westminster bridge on New year's Eve, and I thought that they could attack then, where I live in the UK, there aren't many people from Arab countries, so I was very wary. I stood on the bridge for hours waiting for the fireworks, and there were 3 young muslim men next to me, I was afraid because of what I had read in the news, anyway, it got to the point where I couldn't stand anymore as I have arthritis in the knees, and I had to sit on the pavement, my husband was helping me. But one of the young men seeing me in pain, also came over to see if I needed help, and the other 2 were willing to help if needed too, and he was so sweet, and he offered to help me up again if I needed it later, but I was fine with my husband.

I felt so bad that I had judged them and all other muslims there, Satan tries to put fear in our hearts, and he will try to make us tum against one another, yet out of all the people there, it was these 3 young muslim men that offered to help me. There were hundreds of muslims there, and no trouble at all. I'm ashamed of myself for thinking like that.

I have never felt that way since, I should never have judged others on the outside, as it's the heart that counts.

What an eloquent post. Thank you for that.

I understand that sense of wariness, I felt it similarly in the weeks after 9/11 when I found myself standing in a densely-packed crowd - and still being on hyper-alert, I felt like a fish in a barrel. That feeling faded in time. I suppose it's our natural defenses at work, but that can also go into overdrive where we look at everyone as a possible enemy combatant. That's not sustainable for good mental health in the long term, and yet people who live in war-torn countries likely can't escape it and every new incident serves to bring it back to the front.

A couple of weeks ago I was standing on that same bridge in Westminster, and it was uneventful in that sense, although for sheer history and architecture the view was unforgettable. The hotel I was staying at was backed onto a street that had little restaurants from every cuisine I could imagine. All packed on one street, and as I sat in a little cafe with my morning coffee I got to enjoy watching Londoners going about their daily business - for the most part they weren't tourists, it was a weekday and they were dressed for work or business, with briefcases and such, but also mixed in with tourists, as I was pretty much in the city center. So diverse... I thought my own state was diverse... I was humbled when I was in London, and glad for it. :)

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Maybe the answer for them is more refugees

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
All three terrorists were shot dead within 8 minutes of police being alerted.

when seconds count, the cops are only minutes away :thumb:

ever notice this sort of crap doesn't happen in texas or other concealed carry states?

eider

when seconds count, the cops are only minutes away :thumb:

ever notice this sort of crap doesn't happen in texas or other concealed carry states?

Hmmm...... US Law enforcers shoot as many people in about one week as UK police have shot in 100 years.
I forget the exact figs but that will be close.
It's just a different country with differing ideas.
Only police and military can carry handguns in the UK. Maybe that was why the terrorists could not get any guns.
But the police response was fast. I remember the Hungerford massacre when police response took nearly one hour, because we just were not geared up for such a situation back 30 odd years ago.