Every Five Minutes A Christian Is Killed For The Faith

gcthomas

That is an unlikely statistic. It comes from the Center for the Study of Global Christianity, and includes 900 000 Christian deaths from the Democratic Republic of the Congo from some years back. That is ninety percent of the deaths, and these people were killed by other Christians in a tribal war.

That leaves 7-9 000 Christian deaths per year in the estimate, making one martyr every hour or two.

Sorry, but the figure is bunk.

Last edited:

CherubRam

That is an unlikely statistic. It comes from the Center for the Study of Global Christianity, and includes 900 000 Christian deaths from the Democratic Republic of the Congo from some years back. That is ninety percent of the deaths, and these people were killed by other Christians in a tribal war.

That leaves 7-9 000 Christian deaths per year in the estimate, making one martyr every hour or two.

Sorry, but the figure is bunk.

The figure is an average. Those people were not killed by other Christians, they were killed by Muslims.

gcthomas

The figure is an average. Those people were not killed by other Christians, they were killed by Muslims.

I think you'll need to quote a source for the figure. The BBC had the source of the figure as part of a programme about statistics, and the author of the report the stats came from says the figure is seriously out of date, and that it does not refer to killings by muslims.

As I said, 90% of those dead were killed by Christians in a war in one country which was largely over five years ago.

If you are not interested in the veracity of your claim, then you are no better than a liar.

CherubRam

I think you'll need to quote a source for the figure. The BBC had the source of the figure as part of a programme about statistics, and the author of the report the stats came from says the figure is seriously out of date, and that it does not refer to killings by muslims.

As I said, 90% of those dead were killed by Christians in a war in one country which was largely over five years ago.

If you are not interested in the veracity of your claim, then you are no better than a liar.
You are speaking of one nation, and I am speaking of an overview in the world.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

gcthomas

You are speaking of one nation, and I am speaking of an overview in the world.

You seem to be running this discussion in parallel, so here is my answer:
No, I am speaking of the regularly repeated claim that 100 000 christians are killed for their faith every year worldwide. (= 1 every 5 minutes)

Here is an analysis of the claim, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24864587, which finds the figure a gross exaggeration.

If you disagree that the figure is a lie, please provide a citation or reference for the figure you are claiming.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Every Five Minutes A Christian Is Killed For The Faith.
http://shoebat.com/every-five-minut...the-faith-click-here-to-save-christian-lives/
Christians do not care about their brothers and sisters in Christ. In the past 15 years millions of Christians have been killed by Muslims.
Even if Islam had never existed, there would be no shortage of pretexts or excuses used to justify the murder of our "neighbors." (Greatest Commandment)

During WW1 and WW2, not to mention Europe after the Reformation, the American Civil War, etc., Christians were constantly inventing new and more effective ways for killing other Christians.

America's role in Afghanistan and Iraq, dating back to the 1980's with its "proxy wars" against the USSR and Iran respectively, has been responsible for the deaths of untold numbers of Moslems.

The real problem isn't religion, itself, its the fanatics on all sides that rise to positions of power and whom are adept at manipulating the religious beliefs of others to serve their own secular purposes.

Last edited:

CherubRam

Even if Islam had never existed, there would be no shortage of pretexts or excuses used to justify the murder of our "neighbors." (Greatest Commandment)

During WW1 and WW2, not to mention Europe after the Reformation, the American Civil War, etc., Christians were constantly inventing new and more effective ways for killing other Christians.

America's role in Afghanistan and Iraq, dating back to the 1980's with its "proxy wars" against the USSR and Iran respectively, had been responsible for the deaths of untold numbers of Moslems.

The real problem isn't religion, itself, its the fanatics on all sides that rise to positions of power and whom are adept at manipulating the religious beliefs of others to serve their own secular purposes.

Christians have not warred against each other since 1798 AD.

CherubRam

How does "CherubRam" explain the American Civil War, the bloodiest in that nation's history?

The American Civil War was a civil war fought from 1861 to 1865 to determine the survival of the Union or independence for the Confederacy. The war also had its origin in the issue of slavery, especially the extension of slavery into the western territories.

Not all who call themselves Christian are actually Christian.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
The American Civil War was a civil war fought from 1861 to 1865 to determine the survival of the Union or independence for the Confederacy. The war also had its origin in the issue of slavery, especially the extension of slavery into the western territories.

Not all who call themselves Christian are actually Christian.
In the 1860s, Southern preachers defending slavery also took the Bible literally. They asked who could question the Word of God when it said, "slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling" (Ephesians 6:5), or "tell slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect" (Titus 2:9). Christians who wanted to preserve slavery had the words of the Bible to back them up.

The preachers of the North had to be more creative, but they, too, argued God was on their side. Some emphasized that the Union had to be preserved so that the advance of liberty around the world would not be slowed or even stopped. One Boston preacher, Gilbert Haven, sermonized, " If America is lost, the world is lost."

Historian James Howell Moorhead of Princeton Theological Seminary points out that other ministers drew on the Book of Revelation and suggested that a Northern victory might prepare the way for the Kingdom of God on earth. Still others preached that God would not allow the North to win until it ended slavery.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/2011-02-28-column28_ST_N.htm
There were millions of Americans who supported and fought on both sides.

Are we to believe that one side was devoid of Christians?

"Religious controversies are always productive of more acrimony and irreconcilable hatreds than those which spring from any other cause."

- George Washington

"My concern is not whether God is on our side - my greatest concern is to be on God's side."

- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited:

CherubRam

There were millions of Americans who supported and fought on both sides.
Are we to believe that one side was devoid of Christians?
At times Christians are dragged into conflicts they want nothing to do with. There are Secret Societies that call themselves Christian. Catholics killed the Christians. Now what does that tell you?

gcthomas

At times Christians are dragged into conflicts they want nothing to do with. There are Secret Societies that call themselves Christian. Catholics killed the Christians. Now what does that tell you?

It tells me you are happy to construct confabulations to support the self serving less you tell yourself.

How are you coming along finding evidence to support your lie that Muslims are killing 100 000 Christians every year? Have you looked, or don't you care enough to be honest?

bybee

It tells me you are happy to construct confabulations to support the self serving less you tell yourself.

How are you coming along finding evidence to support your lie that Muslims are killing 100 000 Christians every year? Have you looked, or don't you care enough to be honest?

Why should a Christian be honest? Muslims aren't honest.