Eliminate the NEA

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I can't help suspecting that if the NEA supported the kind of art that you like, you'd take a different stance on the issue.

You are within your right to assume anything you like about me chair but, I do not believe in subsidization of any social issue, that is what market forces & charity are for.

chair

You are within your right to assume anything you like about me chair but, I do not believe in subsidization of any social issue, that is what market forces & charity are for.

I tend to agree with you on the overall issue, but it would be best to avoid saying things like the following if you want to be taken at face value on the issue.
I will say though that some of what is being publicly subsidized as art by the NEA is just filth, not art.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Schools is just one of many government racketeering enterprises like social security, medicare, medicaid, and not Obamacare. College education is priced out of the hands of average Americans. So you have to get a government backed loan to pay for it. And there are many defaults. So tax dollars pay the non-market forces wages of educators.

chair

Redistribution of income is immoral and forbidden by God.

This is an odd thing to say. Have you ever read the Bible? One is required to give part of your agricultural produce to the poor. It isn't charity-if-you-feel-like-it.

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
Just how much money would eliminating the NEA , eliminating funding for PBS etc save the government ? CHICKEN FEED ! Barely chicken feed . Our government wastes far more money in one day on unnecessary and wasteful military spending than it provides money for arts funding in one
year .
How much money does our government take from a single taxpayer in one year ? Less than a
dollar . You should be far more angry at government waste on superfluous military expenditures than
arts funding .
But the arts are NOT superfluous to America , or to any nation . They are in fact highly beneficial to the U.S. economy in all the jobs they create and the way they help stimulate the economy and foster growth in industry and all kinds of businesses such as restaurants etc .
In Europe, government funding for the arts has been generous for many decades , and no one there seems to object to this . Very generous .
Speaking as a professional classical musician, our stingy budget for the arts has been very hard on America's many outstanding world class symphony orchestras and opera companies . Organizations which bring so much joy to so many Americans every year , and which prove employment, not only of musicians, but arts administrators , technical staff , etc .
Many of our classical music organizations have been struggling to stay alive , not because of alack of an audience, but because it takes so much money to run symphony orchestras and opera companies . Many people opposed to the nEA say that private businesses and wealthy people should provide funding for classical music in America, but unfortunately , they don't provide nearly enough .
Too many symphony orchestras and opera companies have gone under in recent years , most notably the New York city opera , which has fortunately come back after a few years of oblivion .
But other classical music organizations have not been so lucky .
If you're not a classical music fan , don't say "So what ? "please. Many ,many people are out of jobs . Or at risk of losing their jobs. They have families to support .
Our government is perfectly capable of providing a lot more arts funding, and this would not be burdensome to any taxpayer . But it won't . And it would not weaken America's capacity for military defense one iota .