Does Romans 7:1-3 affirm different rules for women and men regarding adultery?

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
He/she promotes :peach: :peach: :peach: polygamy (Ex 20:14). :dizzy:

No sir. I know the person well and they are on ToL record as proclaiming monogamy. Please cease from the religious rhetoric without doing your research first.

I will find the link later where [MENTION=16283]Sonnet[/MENTION] refutes your assertion in perfect ToL black and white.

Sonnet

The Hebrew Bible does not treat men and women equally as fair as marriage goes. Men can have more than one wife. Wives cannot have more than one husband. The rules for adultery, as a result, differ as well.

Why do you think Jesus comes against your assertion regarding the Hebrew Bible on this subject?

Matthew 19:9
"I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

Presumably, its adultery BECAUSE the person is still considered married in Jesus's eyes.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Jesus loves you (Jn 3:16). Jesus is willing to save you (2 Pe 3:9). Repent (Eze 18:30-32; Ac 17:30). Believe (Mk 9:23).] That's not relevant to the thread...

"The only thing men learn from history is that men don't learn from history." Gen. 19:1–28 ~ Adrian Rogers :burnlib:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
The Hebrew Bible does not treat men and women equally as fair as marriage goes.
God treats men and women equally (Gen. 2:19, 20; Col. 3:10). :dizzy: Men do not (Ac 5:29). :reals:

Related:

Unbiblical Headship Doctrine

Men can have more than one wife.
If you'd like :banana: to die and go to hell, sure (Ex 20:14, 1 Co 6:9-10, Re 22:11). :idunno:

As far as Jesus's view on divorce...
There is no such thing as divorce (Rom. 7:2, 3). :dizzy: The Jews were looking for an out for their wickedness :banana: and Jesus reaffirmed his law (Mt 19:8). :listen: Don't ask questions for which you do not want the answer (Mt 19:11).

See:

Divorce & Re marriage: A Position Paper by John Piper

Last edited:

chair

Do I need to quote the Old Testament verses that show that men had multiple wives back in Biblical times? I think it is fairly obvious.

Hillel and Shammai were divided on divorce. They each based their approach on the way they interpreted a verse in the Bible:

MISHNAH. BETH SHAMMAI SAY: A MAN SHOULD NOT DIVORCE HIS WIFE UNLESS HE HAS FOUND HER GUILTY OF SOME UNSEEMLY CONDUCT, AS IT SAYS, BECAUSE HE HATH FOUND SOME UNSEEMLY THING1 IN HER.2 BETH HILLEL, HOWEVER, SAY [THAT HE MAY DIVORCE HER] EVEN IF SHE HAS MERELY SPOILT HIS FOOD,3 SINCE IT SAYS,4 BECAUSE HE HATH FOUND SOME UNSEEMLY THING IN HER.5 R. AKIBA SAYS, [HE MAY DIVORCE HER] EVEN IF HE FINDS ANOTHER WOMAN MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN SHE IS, AS IT SAYS, IT COMETH TO PASS, IF SHE FIND NO FAVOUR IN HIS EYES.6

"Unseemly thing" in this context is sexual misbehavior.

If Jesus said that a man commits adultery if he marries another woman after a divorce, then he he is disagreeing with Mosaic law. He in fact says as much in Matthew. He has a more idealistic view of what marriage should be than what existed in Old Testament times. Multiple wives were outlawed in Judaism much later, I think 10th century (Rabbeinu Gershon), and even then the ruling was not accepted by all communities.

Sonnet

Do I need to quote the Old Testament verses that show that men had multiple wives back in Biblical times? I think it is fairly obvious.

Hillel and Shammai were divided on divorce. They each based their approach on the way they interpreted a verse in the Bible:

MISHNAH. BETH SHAMMAI SAY: A MAN SHOULD NOT DIVORCE HIS WIFE UNLESS HE HAS FOUND HER GUILTY OF SOME UNSEEMLY CONDUCT, AS IT SAYS, BECAUSE HE HATH FOUND SOME UNSEEMLY THING1 IN HER.2 BETH HILLEL, HOWEVER, SAY [THAT HE MAY DIVORCE HER] EVEN IF SHE HAS MERELY SPOILT HIS FOOD,3 SINCE IT SAYS,4 BECAUSE HE HATH FOUND SOME UNSEEMLY THING IN HER.5 R. AKIBA SAYS, [HE MAY DIVORCE HER] EVEN IF HE FINDS ANOTHER WOMAN MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN SHE IS, AS IT SAYS, IT COMETH TO PASS, IF SHE FIND NO FAVOUR IN HIS EYES.6

If Jesus said that a man commits adultery if he marries another woman after a divorce, then he he is disagreeing with Mosaic law. He in fact says as much in Matthew. He has a more idealistic view of what marriage should be than what existed in Old Testament times. Multiple wives were outlawed in Judaism much later, I think 10th century (Rabbeinu Gershon), and even then the ruling was not accepted by all communities.

So Jesus lied in Matthew 5:17-18?

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned

So Jesus lied in Matthew 5:17-18?
[MENTION=16283]Sonnet[/MENTION],

Not necessarily. [MENTION=5868]chair[/MENTION] is citing scorlerly quotation from a Torah perspective, to bolster the academic knowledge of the thread.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
The Old Law condemns women more than men on account of all things sexual. The basic principle here is that women were made for the man and not man for the woman- that's where the Law cascaded down from.

There really is no contending it, people's minds are just warped by today's standards to a point where they refuse to acknowledge it in the scriptures.

Sonnet

The Old Law condemns women more than men on account of all things sexual. The basic principle here is that women were made for the man and not man for the woman- that's where the law cascades down from.

There really is no contending that, people's minds are just warped by today's standards to a point where they refuse to acknowledge it in the scriptures.

How much of the law did Jesus say he would abolish?