Do you have to believe in the Trinity to be a Christian?

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Simply not true. The author of John did not have the text which has been quoted because the Masoretic Text was not in existence at the time of writing. In fact the Masoretic Hebrew Text was not compiled for about another 900 years after the Gospel of John was written. The author of John quotes from either the Septuagint or some other heretofore unknown manuscript or codex. In John 12:38 we see clear evidence of this fact:

John 12:38 KJV
38. That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed?

The word for "Lord" highlighted in the above quote, (which would have been either YHWH, or Adonay, or more likely Adon because it is Kurie in the Greek) is not present in the Masoretic Hebrew Text:

Isaiah 53:1 KJV
1. Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed?

However the Greek quote in John 12:38 matches the Septuagint word for word as if it was copied straight from the Septuagint:

John 12:38 W/H 1881
ἵνα ὁ λόγος Ἠσαίου τοῦ προφήτου πληρωθῇ ὃν εἶπεν Κύριε, τίς ἐπίστευσεν τῇ ἀκοῇ ἡμῶν; καὶ ὁ βραχίων Κυρίου τίνι ἀπεκαλύφθη;

http://biblehub.com/text/john/12-38.htm

John 12:38 T/R 1550
ἵνα ὁ λόγος Ἠσαΐου τοῦ προφήτου πληρωθῇ ὃν εἶπεν Κύριε τίς ἐπίστευσεν τῇ ἀκοῇ ἡμῶν καὶ ὁ βραχίων κυρίου τίνι ἀπεκαλύφθη

http://biblehub.com/text/john/12-38.htm

Esaias 53:1 LXX-Septuagint
Κύριε, τίς ἐπίστευσε τῇ ἀκοῇ ἡμῶν; καὶ ὁ βραχίων Κυρίου τίνι ἀπεκαλύφθη;

http://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/septuagint/chapter.asp?book=43&page=53

Esaias 53:1 LXX-Septuagint (Brenton Translation)
1 O Lord, who has believed our report? and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?

http://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/septuagint/chapter.asp?book=43&page=53

And again the quote in John 12:38 is word for word from the Septuagint:

JN 12:38
Κύριε, τίς ἐπίστευσεν τῇ ἀκοῇ ἡμῶν; καὶ ὁ βραχίων Κυρίου τίνι ἀπεκαλύφθη;

Esaias 53:1 LXX-Septuagint
Κύριε, τίς ἐπίστευσε τῇ ἀκοῇ ἡμῶν; καὶ ὁ βραχίων Κυρίου τίνι ἀπεκαλύφθη;

Now perhaps you both might go read Exodus 3:14 from the Septuagint and you will find that it does not say "Ego eimi ["I AM"] has sent me to you" but rather "HO ON ["HE WHO IS"] has sent me to you". This is the foundational portion of a title of the Father, (YHWH) in Greek which is "ho-on-kai-ho-en-kai-ho-erchomenos" and is again referenced twice in the opening statements of Revelation, (Rev 1:4 and Rev 1:8). In other words the KJV and all translations which followed suite, (and use the Masoretic Text) are nothing more than trinitarian interpretations when it comes to this passage because the LXX-Septuagint rendering gives the meaning of 'EHYEH, (Hebrew transliteration) not as "Ego eimi" (Greek "I am") but rather as "HO ON" in the Greek, (which could also mean "THE BEING" as Brenton renders it).

This is much more critical than any here may wish to acknowledge but the reason it is so critical is because it is extremely compelling evidence that this is what the author of the Gospel of John would have believed because this is what he had before him. And again the Masoretic Text was not even in existence until about 900 years later circa 1000AD. Hope this helps, (BOOM!!!!!!!). :)

:sheep:

Better yet here is Exodus 3:14 from the Septuagint with a link:

Exodus 3:14 LXX-Septuagint
14 καὶ εἶπεν ὁ Θεὸς πρὸς Μωυσῆν λέγων· ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν. καὶ εἶπεν· οὕτως ἐρεῖς τοῖς υἱοῖς ᾿Ισραήλ· ὁ ὢν ἀπέσταλκέ με πρὸς ὑμᾶς.

http://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/septuagint/chapter.asp?book=2&page=3

Exodus 3:14 LXX-Septuagint (Brenton Translation)
14 And God spoke to Moses, saying, I am THE BEING; and he said, Thus shall ye say to the children of Israel, THE BEING has sent me to you.

http://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/septuagint/chapter.asp?book=2&page=3

"ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν" = "I am THE BEING"
"ὁ ὤν" = "HO ON" = "THE BEING" = "HE WHO IS"

:sheep:

So what ultimate conclusion have you reached from applying this to Theology Proper?

Is your point merely that Jesus was not reiterating God's statement to Moses verbatim? Or are you suggesting something else entirely?

Is this your assertion against the Deity of Christ in some way? Or are you simply pointing out that the Greek written record of Jesus saying "Ego eimi" is not a direct parallel to the Hebrew text for God saying "I Am" to Moses in Exodus?

CherubRam

In Hebrew there is the word "I," but there is no such words as "I am."

"I am" is an interpretation for "I Lived" also here in John 8. I Lived" is the trans-literal.

John 8:58
New International Version (NIV)
58 “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!”

In Matthew 26 and Mark 14 we have the same story with two different acknowledgements.

Matthew 26
62 Then the high priest stood up and said to Jesus, "Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?"

63 But Jesus remained silent. The high priest said to him, "I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God."

64 "Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied. "But I say to all of you: In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven."

Mark 14:60
Then the high priest stood up before them and asked Jesus, "Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?"

61. But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer.
Again the high priest asked him, "Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?"

62. "I am," said Jesus. "And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven."

Yahshua was asked if he was the messiah, for which he answered, yes.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Because they don't know Jesus. Like you trin people, they assumed what Jesus said.

Jesus never said He is God.
You don't even follow your own hype!

You can search the red letters and see that Jesus never said He was the Savior.
And yet you readily assume Jesus is the Savior.
I already told you but I don't mind repeating it.

Jesus is Son of God and Savior of the world.
How did you arrive at the conclusion that Jesus is the Savior if He never said He was the Savior?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Being a Christian--the way I view it anyway--is to see the presence of God in Jesus. And since Jesus never uttered the word "Trinity," one does not have to be a trinitarian to be a believer.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
The Jews said he claimed to be God.

Joh 10:30 I and my Father are one.
Joh 10:31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
Joh 10:32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
Joh 10:33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

Don't back off meshak, you had it right, Jesus is God!

Those verses are not saying Jesus is God. It is your assumption.

Jesus never said He is God.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Everyone,

this thread is not about trnity, Please get back to topic.

And no one coming up to support your claim of "You have to believe in the trinity to be saved."

You cannot because it is not there. Jesus did not claim it, nor any of His disciples.

daqq

So what ultimate conclusion have you reached from applying this to Theology Proper?

Is your point merely that Jesus was not reiterating God's statement to Moses verbatim? Or are you suggesting something else entirely?

Is this your assertion against the Deity of Christ in some way? Or are you simply pointing out that the Greek written record of Jesus saying "Ego eimi" is not a direct parallel to the Hebrew text for God saying "I Am" to Moses in Exodus?

What does "theology proper" mean to you? In my opinion theology proper is Torah, Prophets, and Writings understood through the lenses of the Testimony of Yeshua. This goes back to what I said previously, (and what I said in what you have quoted builds upon what I said previously) because in my understanding testimony is pneuma-breath-wind-spirit. Therefore if one does not have the Testimony of Yeshua, and hold it in uprightness according to Torah and Tanach, then the same neither has Spirit Holy. Is it therefore "theology proper" to misinterpret critical statements and words in Torah so as to make a theological statement out of something in the Apostolic writings that actually is not there? Yeshua was not even referencing Exodus 3:14 in the statement of John 8:58. It is a blatant misapplication to form a doctrine out of thin air. There is clearly no such thing as "the great I AM" statement in John 8:58 because the whole idea is based in a false interpretation of the name in Exodus 3:14. In addition there is even more compelling evidence in that 'anokiy is used in the same passage to say "I am" while 'EHYEH is rendered as "HO ON" in the Septuagint.

Exodus 3:6 Transliterated Unaccented
6. Wayo'mer, 'Anokiy 'Elohey 'abiyka; 'Elohey 'Abraham, 'Elohey Yitschaq, we-'Elohey Ya`qob.Wayacter Mosheh panayw kiy yare' mehabiyT 'el-ha-'Elohiym.

Exodus 3:6 KJV
6. Moreover he said, I am [HSN#0595 'anokiy] the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God.

It is the "I AM" crowd that are propagating a fraudulent theology based in misinterpretations of key words from key phrases while their scholarship clearly had previous information laid out for them in the Septuagint which they know was rendered some three hundred years before the advent of Messiah, (at least the Torah portions) and was therefore rendered with neither a messianic nor an anti-messianic bias because Messiah had not yet come when the Septuagint was rendered from the Hebrew of that time.

1) The Testimony of Yeshua is the Spirit.
2) There is no great "I AM" statement.

In regards to what I said previously about pneuma in this thread:

John 7:39 KJV
39. (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet *given*; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

John 7:39 YLT
39. and this he said of the Spirit, which those believing in him were about to receive; for not yet was the Holy Spirit, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

Can you provide at least one Greek text which states or implies that the Spirit was not yet *given* in this passage? There are none but rather the word given has been inserted into nearly all English texts. It says pretty much exactly what the Young's Literal Bible Translation says: The Spirit was NOT YET because Yeshua was NOT YET glorified. And where was Yeshua glorified? Would that not be when he was lifted up at Golgotha? Therefore this statement explicitly teaches the reader that the Testimony of Yeshua is the Spirit. The reason the Spirit was not yet is because the Testimony of Yeshua was not yet compete until he said "IT IS FINISHED", commended his Spirit into the hands of the Father, and breathed out his last. Theology proper does not add or insert words into key places so as to force a preconceived dogma into the text. And as I also said previously this is a gaping hole in modern Trinitarian theology because the assumption that pneuma is always a literal entity is not proven and, in fact, refuted by the above and by the Testimony of Yeshua who tells us that his words are Spirit. The Testimony of Yeshua is Holy Spirit and therefore anyone who does not have and hold it in uprightness neither has Spirit Holy but is rather fooling himself or herself.

genuineoriginal

What does "theology proper" mean to you?
I looked it up for you:
"Theology Proper is the sub-discipline of Systematic Theology which deals specifically with the being, attributes and works of God."​

In my opinion theology proper is Torah, Prophets, and Writings understood through the lenses of the Testimony of Yeshua.
That would be the normally used meaning of theology, which is why the term "theology proper" was created to distinguish between the study of scriptures (theology) and the study of God Himself (theology proper).

CherubRam

Anokiy

Definition
1. I (first pers. sing.)

King James Word Usage - Total: 3
I, which, me.

"I am" is a English language thingy. It is not in Greek or Hebrew.

CherubRam

The part in bold is a curiosity, because it does not agree with the Old Testament. There was no reason for waiting. Perhaps the translation is out of order.

39. (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet *given*; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

daqq

I looked it up for you:
"Theology Proper is the sub-discipline of Systematic Theology which deals specifically with the being, attributes and works of God."​
That would be the normally used meaning of theology, which is why the term "theology proper" was created to distinguish between the study of scriptures (theology) and the study of God Himself (theology proper).

Thank you for looking that up.
You and I are at least on the same page now.
Note "THE BEING" highlighted in your post, (Exodus 3:14 Septuagint). :)

CherubRam

Oh, I see now why it is in brackets. It is because it is a late addition.

John 7:38. KJV

38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

40 Many of the people therefore, when they heard this saying, said, Of a truth this is the Prophet...

This is how it should read.
John 7

He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
Many of the people therefore, when they heard this saying, said, Of a truth this is the Prophet...

CherubRam

Anokiy

Definition
1. I (first pers. sing.)

King James Word Usage - Total: 3
I, which, me.

"I am" is a English language thingy. It is not in Greek or Hebrew.

The part in bold is a curiosity, because it does not agree with the Old Testament. There was no reason for waiting. Perhaps the translation is out of order.

Recap.

Daniel1611

Thank you cherubram for fixing the Bible and correcting all of the Translators who worked on putting the Bible into English. You must be a genius.

To answer the OP, if you don't believe in the deity of Christ, you are not saved but condemned.

StanJ

Yes, because that is who God is. If you don't believe that way then you don't believe the God of the Bible of who our REAL God and Savior is.

True Christians are 100% Trinity believers.

achduke

Yes, because that is who God is. If you don't believe that way then you don't believe the God of the Bible of who our REAL God and Savior is.

True Christians are 100% Trinity believers.

That is your opinion. Do you have any scripture to back this up?

Acts 16:30 And he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"

Acts 16:31 So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household."

daqq

Oh, I see now why it is in brackets. It is because it is a late addition.

John 7:38. KJV

38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

40 Many of the people therefore, when they heard this saying, said, Of a truth this is the Prophet...

This is how it should read.
John 7

He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
Many of the people therefore, when they heard this saying, said, Of a truth this is the Prophet...

I do not know of any scholarship or commentator who agrees with your assertion. In fact they all seem to agree that John 7:39 is commentary from the author as it clearly appears to be:

Matthew Poole's Commentary
For the evangelist tells us, that this referred to the Spirit, which believers were to receive after that Christ should be ascended into heaven.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
But this spake he of the Spirit,.... These are the words of the evangelist, explaining the figurative expressions of Christ; showing, that by rivers of living water, he meant the Spirit in his gifts and graces; and which is the plain sense of the passages referred to by him, particularly Isaiah 44:3, and which, as before observed, the Jews supposed were intimated by their drawing and pouring water at the feast of tabernacles.

Meyer's NT Commentary
John 7:39. Not an interpolated gloss (Scholten), but an observation by John in explanation of this saying. He shows that Jesus meant that the outward effect of which He spoke, the flowing forth, was not at once to occur, but was to commence upon the reception of the Spirit after His glorification.

Expositor's Greek Testament
But the appended clause, οὔπω γὰρ ἦν Πνεῦμα Ἅγιον, is difficult. The best attested reading (see critical note) gives the meaning: “The Spirit was not yet, because Jesus was not yet [οὔπω, not οὐδέπω] glorified” ἐδοξάσθη with John signifies the entire process of glorification, beginning with and including His death (see chap. John 12:23; John 12:32-33);

Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges
39. this spake he of the Spirit] S. John’s interpretation is to be accepted, whatever may be our theory of inspiration, (1) because no better interpreter of Christ’s words ever lived, even among the Apostles; (2) because it is the result of his own inmost experience.
http://biblehub.com/commentaries/john/7-39.htm

You cannot just toss aside what you do not like and call it a later addition without anyone or anything to support your conclusion. Well, you can, but then I have no need to take you seriously if you are willing to do such a thing. :)

genuineoriginal

To answer the OP, if you don't believe in the deity of Christ, you are not saved but condemned.
The OP asks whether you have to believe in the Trinity to be a Christian.

There are many people who believe in the deity of Christ without believing in the Trinity.

There are many people that are accepted as Christians that are not saved but are condemned.

Daniel1611

The OP asks whether you have to believe in the Trinity to be a Christian.

There are many people who believe in the deity of Christ without believing in the Trinity.

There are many people that are accepted as Christians that are not saved but are condemned.

I count saved as Christian and Christian as saved.