Do Not Steal Intellectual Property

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
To be clear, I'm not an atheist, I'm a Baptist Christian. I was simply acknowledging that Kinsella is an atheist.
I understood what you were saying. I know Kinsella is not a Christian.

That might be correct, but doesn't change the reality of the situation.

If necessary you could physically sign contracts, but that seems like an unnecessary step, you could simply state on the book that by buying you are consenting not to copy (Which is what "Copyright" generally means.)
If the law were made right, then, absolutely, you'd be required to sign a contract when you buy a book to implement copyright. That's how all contracts work.

I'm an aspiring author, who hasn't been published. I've spent several months working on my book, and will spend several more months editing.

When I publish it, considering I did all the work, is it justifiable for someone else to be able to just print copies (very little work) and sell them?

I guess the whole point of IP is for careers and jobs where the majority of the work is intellectual. It doesn't exactly seem fair to me that I could do all that work and then someone else could just copy my idea, put very little work into it, and sell to make a profit.

That said, I respect Kinsella a lot and I do understand his arguments. I just don't 100% agree with him.

At the same point, Enyart's argument is an appeal to legal positivism, which I don't generally agree with either.

I'm still not quite sure where I stand.
Which is why we have copyright. Your story is an easy sell to get a politician elected so he can implement copyright and, in effect, have the government own everything that is copyrighted or patented.

But could you make a living without copyrights? If you were a good writer, you certainly could. We can get into how that works, too, if you'd like.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
No. It's illegal to copy your own legitimately purchased property for your own use. First, the government doesn't recognized it as your property. You are only buying a license, a license that prohibits you from making any copies.
You are incorrect.

Christian Liberty

I understood what you were saying. I know Kinsella is not a Christian.

If the law were made right, then, absolutely, you'd be required to sign a contract when you buy a book to implement copyright. That's how all contracts work.

Which is why we have copyright. Your story is an easy sell to get a politician elected so he can implement copyright and, in effect, have the government own everything that is copyrighted or patented.

But could you make a living without copyrights? If you were a good writer, you certainly could. We can get into how that works, too, if you'd like.

I'm very open minded. Please feel free to get into all that.
You are incorrect.

I'm pretty sure he's legally correct, although that law is absolutely stupid.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Copyrights, which are identical to patents, are simply a government granted monopoly of an idea.

And that is immoral. If I see my neighbor build a deck on the back of his house, I don't have to pay him to have it built. Or let him have a cut from the builder because he thought of it first. It is stealing to say otherwise.

If I buy a Toyota Camry, I can do whatever I damn well please with it, including giving people a free ride so they don't have to buy a Camry themselves. In fact, it is moral to charge them to ride in my car if I wanted to do it.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm very open minded. Please feel free to get into all that.
Okay. Once we understand that in a real contract, it has to be agreed by both parties and each party has to show they agreed (sign). We can get onto how a country would handle creative media without copyrights.

The good thing is, a free market would take care of it almost seamlessly. People want good music, books, poems, and all manner of good ideas. There are people that can provide it IF they have a reasonable risk of compensation for the effort. Especially with the internet, these sets of people could get together. Perhaps it would work like a patron system, where the paying people get to see it first. And/or it could work as a derivative system where artists can sell the live performance, not the recording. And/or we can add licensed official copies, creating a powerful collector's market; this would include numbered sets of artwork for a book or cover art on a CD. And don't forget the power of advertising. If an author is good, all the inexpensive copies are just free advertising for the percentage of copies that the author sells. And don't forget, that is true free advertising whereas even digital downloads aren't free because they take time and bandwidth. So the author actually gets the better deal in a market without copyrights. And let's not leave out software. But it's the easiest one because it makes money on its own; think of a company that says "Wow, these computers could make our work creating documents so much easier, but if an idea like that gets out, people will use it without paying us for it! Forget it, we'll just spend vast quantities of more dollars doing it on paper! That'll show'm!"

And there is one more thing. With copyrights, you can't get a break as an author because there are other people selling horrible books in your way. What they have that you don't have is a good relationship with the gatekeepers of book distribution. Every copyrighted media has gatekeepers, and it's *them* that make the real money, not the artist. Thus, all the best artists aren't the ones that rise to the top, but a few of them on top of a pile of artists that shouldn't get the distribution they have. That's what copyright has gotten us.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And that is immoral. If I see my neighbor build a deck on the back of his house, I don't have to pay him to have it built. Or let him have a cut from the builder because he thought of it first. It is stealing to say otherwise.

If I buy a Toyota Camry, I can do whatever I damn well please with it, including giving people a free ride so they don't have to buy a Camry themselves. In fact, it is moral to charge them to ride in my car if I wanted to do it.
Amen brother!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am not buying a license or a service. I am buying a product.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Yorzhik-
Is it immoral to download something for which you didn't pay, or to make copies for your use of something for which you didn't pay?

Also I notice no one has yet answered my first question.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yorzhik-
Is it immoral to download something for which you didn't pay, or to make copies for your use of something for which you didn't pay?

It depends on where you download it from or from whom. I can give away anything I want. It is mine. Can a man not do with his property as he wants?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I'm pretty sure he's legally correct, although that law is absolutely stupid.
I don't see how. I have always heard that it is perfectly legal to make copies of my own legitimately purchased materials for my own personal use, such as copying my own CDs to my iTunes and then to my iPod. Of course, copying from iTunes to iPod is part of the agreement with Apple anyway, but still.

It depends on where you download it from or from whom. I can give away anything I want. It is mine. Can a man not do with his property as he wants?
So you don't think it is stealing anything from the musicians or authors to do that?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yorzhik-

Also I notice no one has yet answered my first question.
Yes, it is immoral to break an unjust law when that law does not ask you to do something that breaks God's law.

I'm not sure about the law when it comes to copying your own stuff. The moral thing to do is follow the law about it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So you don't think it is stealing anything from the musicians or authors to do that?

No more than if I buy a car and give people a ride in it. If people want to call thoughts and ideas property, then the same rules apply. Property is property. If I buy a CD, it is mine to do with as I please.

Jabin

The Constitution, from where patents and copyrights get their legitimacy, does not call thoughts and ideas property. These are not property but inventors and writers are given exclusive rights for a limited time to promote progress, not to protect supposed ownership.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Yes, it is immoral to break an unjust law when that law does not ask you to do something that breaks God's law.

I'm not sure about the law when it comes to copying your own stuff. The moral thing to do is follow the law about it.
Could you please answer the question according to the intent with which I asked it? I don't care what the law currently states; so, apart from the law is it immoral to do these things? And just for clarity's sake, I believe it is immoral to do the former, but not immoral to do the latter.

No more than if I buy a car and give people a ride in it. If people want to call thoughts and ideas property, then the same rules apply. Property is property. If I buy a CD, it is mine to do with as I please.
How is it yours when what you are purchasing is the property of those who came up with it, and they decided to sell it which allowed you to purchase a copy? How is it then yours to do with as you wish to the extent of allowing someone else to copy it for themselves while you retain ownership of a copy? How is that not stealing from those who created it and decided to sell their creation to make money?

If you could copy a car would it then be moral to make a copy of your car and either give it or sell it to another person while the people who created the car in the first place get no money from your sale of their creation?

And don't bring up selling the originally purchased car itself as this is not at all the same thing. And neither is giving someone a ride. That only equates to allowing someone to borrow a CD or book.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Do you believe you have the right to copy a $100 bill in your wallet and spend it as if it were real?

Christian Liberty

You know, this the typical view of Romans 13, but there are honestly a number of ridiculous aspects to it. Does virtually any activity magically become immoral just because we have a government that feels the need to write a law about virtually anything?

Do you believe you have the right to copy a $100 bill in your wallet and spend it as if it were real?

I wouldn't do that, but our currency system is already fraudulent to begin with, so I don't see why I should care.

Precisely!

Of course, Nick may respond with, "The government does it, why can't I?"

I'd agree with Nick in this case. At least kind of. I wouldn't counterfeit money because it would reduce the purchasing power of other people, rather than hurting the banksters that are the real criminals. So I'm not advocating this. That said, the entire currency system IS a fraud.

Ron Paul has discussed this actually, he didn't defend counterfeiters, but he did point out that the Bible commands "Honest weights and measures." A monetary system which bankers can inflate at will to benefit themselves at the expense of everyone else is fraudulent, not honest.

Again, I'm not advocating counterfeiting, that would only hurt honest civilians, not the banksters. I'd much rather see people use gold, bitcoin, or other currencies that the banksters cannot manipulate, regardless of whether they have a legal right to do this or not (Using honest money is commanded by God, its not evil, so I don't really care whether the laws try to enforce the Federal Reserve monopoly or not). But the entire Federal Reserve System remains a fraud.

And Nick would be correct.

Indeed.

I just found Ron Paul's "End the Fed" in a used bookstore and started reading. I knew the Fed was bad, but I didn't know just HOW bad.

Okay. Once we understand that in a real contract, it has to be agreed by both parties and each party has to show they agreed (sign). We can get onto how a country would handle creative media without copyrights.

The good thing is, a free market would take care of it almost seamlessly. People want good music, books, poems, and all manner of good ideas. There are people that can provide it IF they have a reasonable risk of compensation for the effort. Especially with the internet, these sets of people could get together. Perhaps it would work like a patron system, where the paying people get to see it first. And/or it could work as a derivative system where artists can sell the live performance, not the recording. And/or we can add licensed official copies, creating a powerful collector's market; this would include numbered sets of artwork for a book or cover art on a CD. And don't forget the power of advertising. If an author is good, all the inexpensive copies are just free advertising for the percentage of copies that the author sells. And don't forget, that is true free advertising whereas even digital downloads aren't free because they take time and bandwidth. So the author actually gets the better deal in a market without copyrights. And let's not leave out software. But it's the easiest one because it makes money on its own; think of a company that says "Wow, these computers could make our work creating documents so much easier, but if an idea like that gets out, people will use it without paying us for it! Forget it, we'll just spend vast quantities of more dollars doing it on paper! That'll show'm!"

And there is one more thing. With copyrights, you can't get a break as an author because there are other people selling horrible books in your way. What they have that you don't have is a good relationship with the gatekeepers of book distribution. Every copyrighted media has gatekeepers, and it's *them* that make the real money, not the artist. Thus, all the best artists aren't the ones that rise to the top, but a few of them on top of a pile of artists that shouldn't get the distribution they have. That's what copyright has gotten us.

OK, I'm still a little confused but I think I understand this.
I don't see how. I have always heard that it is perfectly legal to make copies of my own legitimately purchased materials for my own personal use, such as copying my own CDs to my iTunes and then to my iPod. Of course, copying from iTunes to iPod is part of the agreement with Apple anyway, but still.

The law says that you're buying a license, but it may allow you to copy your own. I'm not sure. It certainly should allow you to do that.

I admit that my stance on IP is not settled and that I'm playing Devil's Advocate but... why do you have an inherent right to someone's possible future purchase?

You wouldn't have that with anything else.

How is not buying something theft?

Christian Liberty

Oh. Ok. Whatever you say, Jr.

I'm talking particularly regarding intellectual property, an issue where my position is not completely settled.

But I'm not open minded to anything you say.

BTW: anyone who knows who Stephan Kinsella is is by definition smarter than you are:rolleyes: