Did Christ die for all men?

Sonnet

Well, 1) I come to Limited Atonement from a different perspective than most Calvinists (I think). I simply recognize that the OT saints had faith in God to save them. Those who died without that faith, I believe died without the saving work of Jesus Christ and that because atonement means "at one" with God, that only those who are saved are atoned for. That part, I think is in keeping with Calvinism, and I embrace it. 2) I think it is even in keeping with other Calvinists, but can't really speak to that as one who is a bit different. You might have to ask another Calvinist or two...

Jesus said: Just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, so shall the Son of Man be lifted up so that whoever believes may have eternal life in Him.

The bitten Israelites had to do something for the cure (the raised serpent) to became effective. All of the affected Israelites were provided for. Only those who turned and looked were cured.

Jesus' crucifixion is JUST AS the source of the analogy - the OT Moses story (Numbers 21:4ff).

Last edited:

zzub

BANNED
Banned
A Sermon Delivered On Sunday Evening, By C. H. Spurgeon, At The Metropolitan Tabernacle, Newington. *12/30/2012

God our Saviour; who will have all men to be saved, and to come to the knowledge of the truth. [1Ti 2:3,4]

1. May God the Holy Spirit guide our meditations to the best practical result this evening, so that sinners may be saved and saints stirred up to diligence.

2. I do not intend to treat my text controversially. It is like the stone which makes the corner of a building, and it looks towards a different side of the gospel from what is mostly before us. Two sides of the building of truth meet here. In many a village there is a corner where the idle and the quarrelsome gather together; and theology has such corners. It would be very easy indeed to set ourselves in battle array, and during the next half-hour to carry on a very fierce attack against those who differ from us in opinion upon points which could be raised from this text. I do not see that any good would come of it, and, since we have very little time to spare, and life is short, we had better spend it upon something that may better tend to our edification. May the good Spirit preserve us from a contentious spirit, and help us really to profit by his word.

3. It is quite certain that when we read that God will have all men to be saved it does not mean that he wills it with the force of a decree or a divine purpose, for, if he did, then all men would be saved. He willed to make the world, and the world was made: he does not so will the salvation of all men, for we know that all men will not be saved. Terrible as the truth is, yet it is certain from holy writ that there are men who, as a consequence of their sin and their rejection of the Saviour, will go away into everlasting punishment, where there shall be weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth. There will at the last be goats upon the left hand as well as sheep on the right, tares to be burned as well as wheat to be garnered, chaff to be blown away as well as grain to be preserved. There will be a dreadful hell as well as a glorious heaven, and there is no decree to the contrary.

4. What then? Shall we try to put another meaning into the text than what it fairly bears? I do not think so. You must, most of you, be acquainted with the general method in which our older Calvinistic friends deal with this text. “All men,” they say, — “that is, some men”: as if the Holy Spirit could not have said “some men” if he had meant some men. “All men,” they say; “that is, some of all kinds of men”: as if the Lord could not have said “all kinds of men” if he had meant that. The Holy Spirit by the apostle has written “all men,” and unquestionably he means all men. I know how to get rid of the force of the “alls” according to that critical method which some time ago was very popular, but I do not see how it can be applied here with due regard to truth. I was reading just now the exposition of a very able doctor who explains the text so as to explain it away; he applies grammatical gunpowder to it, and explodes it by way of expounding it. I thought when I read his exposition that it would have been a very capital comment upon the text if it had read, “Who will not have all men to be saved, nor come to a knowledge of the truth.” Had such been the inspired language every remark of the learned doctor would have been most proper, but since it happens to say, “Who will have all men to be saved,” his observations are more than a little out of place. My love for consistency with my own doctrinal views is not great enough to allow me knowingly to alter a single text of Scripture. I have great respect for orthodoxy, but my reverence for inspiration is far greater. I would sooner a hundred times over appear to be inconsistent with myself than be inconsistent with the word of God. I never thought it to be any very great crime to seem to be inconsistent with myself; for who am I that I should everlastingly be consistent? But I do think it is a great crime to be so inconsistent with the word of God that I should want to lop away a bough or even a twig from so much as a single tree of the forest of Scripture. God forbid that I should cut or shape, even in the least degree, any divine expression. So runs the text, and so we must read it, “God our Saviour; who will have all men to be saved, and to come to the knowledge of the truth.”

Last edited:

Sonnet

A Sermon Delivered On Sunday Evening, By C. H. Spurgeon, At The Metropolitan Tabernacle, Newington. *12/30/2012

God our Saviour; who will have all men to be saved, and to come to the knowledge of the truth. [1Ti 2:3,4]

1. May God the Holy Spirit guide our meditations to the best practical result this evening, so that sinners may be saved and saints stirred up to diligence.

2. I do not intend to treat my text controversially. It is like the stone which makes the corner of a building, and it looks towards a different side of the gospel from what is mostly before us. Two sides of the building of truth meet here. In many a village there is a corner where the idle and the quarrelsome gather together; and theology has such corners. It would be very easy indeed to set ourselves in battle array, and during the next half-hour to carry on a very fierce attack against those who differ from us in opinion upon points which could be raised from this text. I do not see that any good would come of it, and, since we have very little time to spare, and life is short, we had better spend it upon something that may better tend to our edification. May the good Spirit preserve us from a contentious spirit, and help us really to profit by his word.

3. It is quite certain that when we read that God will have all men to be saved it does not mean that he wills it with the force of a decree or a divine purpose, for, if he did, then all men would be saved. He willed to make the world, and the world was made: he does not so will the salvation of all men, for we know that all men will not be saved. Terrible as the truth is, yet it is certain from holy writ that there are men who, as a consequence of their sin and their rejection of the Saviour, will go away into everlasting punishment, where there shall be weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth. There will at the last be goats upon the left hand as well as sheep on the right, tares to be burned as well as wheat to be garnered, chaff to be blown away as well as grain to be preserved. There will be a dreadful hell as well as a glorious heaven, and there is no decree to the contrary.

4. What then? Shall we try to put another meaning into the text than what it fairly bears? I do not think so. You must, most of you, be acquainted with the general method in which our older Calvinistic friends deal with this text. “All men,” they say, — “that is, some men”: as if the Holy Spirit could not have said “some men” if he had meant some men. “All men,” they say; “that is, some of all kinds of men”: as if the Lord could not have said “all kinds of men” if he had meant that. The Holy Spirit by the apostle has written “all men,” and unquestionably he means all men. I know how to get rid of the force of the “alls” according to that critical method which some time ago was very popular, but I do not see how it can be applied here with due regard to truth. I was reading just now the exposition of a very able doctor who explains the text so as to explain it away; he applies grammatical gunpowder to it, and explodes it by way of expounding it. I thought when I read his exposition that it would have been a very capital comment upon the text if it had read, “Who will not have all men to be saved, nor come to a knowledge of the truth.” Had such been the inspired language every remark of the learned doctor would have been most proper, but since it happens to say, “Who will have all men to be saved,” his observations are more than a little out of place. My love for consistency with my own doctrinal views is not great enough to allow me knowingly to alter a single text of Scripture. I have great respect for orthodoxy, but my reverence for inspiration is far greater. I would sooner a hundred times over appear to be inconsistent with myself than be inconsistent with the word of God. I never thought it to be any very great crime to seem to be inconsistent with myself; for who am I that I should everlastingly be consistent? But I do think it is a great crime to be so inconsistent with the word of God that I should want to lop away a bough or even a twig from so much as a single tree of the forest of Scripture. God forbid that I should cut or shape, even in the least degree, any divine expression. So runs the text, and so we must read it, “God our Saviour; who will have all men to be saved, and to come to the knowledge of the truth.”

Thanks. I have read this before. Certainly, if Christ hasn't died for all then Paul's assertion would be impossible.

dodge

He told them when His death was imminent that He would die. He did NOT tell them why! The why was a mystery and it is the hidden wisdom of God in a mystery that just so happens to be the gospel of our salvation!

I believe Jesus told them "why" He was going to die.

Mat 26:26

And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
Mat 26:27
And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;

Mat 26:28
For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Peace

Sonnet

The Christ of scripture died for all saved men. He did not die for them that are lost.

Luke 22:20-22
In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you. But the hand of him who is going to betray me is with mine on the table. The Son of Man will go as it has been decreed. But woe to that man who betrays him!”

beloved57

Luke 22:20-22
In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you. But the hand of him who is going to betray me is with mine on the table. The Son of Man will go as it has been decreed. But woe to that man who betrays him!”
This passage does not say that Christ died for them that will be lost.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Sonnet

Then you don't believe in Jesus Christ the Saviour of His people. Matt1:21! You are a unbeliever.

Jesus came to the Jews and indeed provided salvation. Only those that believed would be saved John 3:14-16.
Jesus models his provision on that of the serpent that Moses raised up in the wilderness.

beloved57

Jesus came to the Jews and indeed provided salvation. Only those that believed would be saved John 3:14-16.
Jesus models his provision on that of the serpent that Moses raised up in the wilderness.
You teach that those Christ died for are lost, denying that His Death alone saved them He died for.

You teach that salvation depends on what a person does. That's a denial that it depends on Christ alone.

Lon

Jesus said: Just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, so shall the Son of Man be lifted up so that whoever believes may have eternal life in Him.

The bitten Israelites had to do something for the cure (the raised serpent) to became effective. All of the affected Israelites were provided for. Only those who turned and looked were cured.

Jesus' crucifixion is JUST AS the source of the analogy - the OT Moses story (Numbers 21:4ff).

So my salvation depends now, solely upon me? Partly? Which part. In the end, how you or I answer these kinds of questions leave us in one theological camp or another. Somewhere between "I chose Christ" and "Christ chose me" you and I are found.

Sonnet

So my salvation depends now, solely upon me? Partly? Which part. In the end, how you or I answer these kinds of questions leave us in one theological camp or another. Somewhere between "I chose Christ" and "Christ chose me" you and I are found.

It is a knotty issue.

Christ did it all, but we, whilst hearing and learning must put faith in Christ. In doing so, no work of righteousness takes place - Romans 4:1-4.

Reactions: Lon

Cross Reference

Our part is to accept the fact of redemption, embrace it and enter into Eph 2:8 KJV.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
...f I am told that I may have been left out - that only certain individuals might be the beneficiaries, then the reaction will be quite different.

That isn't what Piper teaches (Mt 18:14). :dizzy: Jesus is for anyone who would believe (Jn 3:16). You must be born again (Jn 3:7). You'll know you've been born again when the Spirit testifies with your spirit that you are his (Ro 8:16). :straight:

Reactions: Lon

Lon

Our part is to accept the fact of redemption, embrace it and enter into Eph 2:8 KJV.

"... and this not of yourselves, it is a gift from God, not of works, so no man 'can' boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." Ephesians 2:8b-10

It continues the discussion of where you and I fall on the issue of 'not of ourselves.'