Definition of a Christian

Cross Reference

The modern term "Christian" no longer carries the same meaning as Christianos which is found in the Apostolic writings. Even according to the very words of Paul himself the Christos, Messiah, must be formed in a disciple of Yeshua and this can only be done by consuming his parables, allegories, idioms, sayings, doctrines, and words. Likewise according to Paul the Torah is our "paidagogos" crossing guard, or "schoolmaster", to bring us to Messiah. Yeshua also clearly quotes from Exodus 23:20a in several places in the Gospel accounts, Matthew 11:10 and Luke 7:27, and states that the Malak-Messenger of that passage is none other than Yochanan the Immerser. If therefore Yochanan the Immerser is the Malak of Exodus 23:20-23 then he is the Messenger who leads us in the way of righteousness through "the desert" and into "the Land". The immersion of Yochanan is therefore an immersion into Torah and Prophets, (the Name of the Father and likewise "the washing of water in the Word", Ephesians 5:26). Therefore one must first have the immersion of Yochanan, (which even Cornelius and his household knew and understood) which includes immersion into Torah, Prophets, and Writings, (i.e. Psalms) which are the Name of the Father, and thereby repentance toward the sending away of sins, (which again is the immersion of Yochanan). And with at least a basic knowledge of those things in our hearts, minds, and souls, (Deuteronomy 11:18-21) one must then devote at least a full year of intense immersion into the Testimony of Yeshua found in the Gospel accounts as the Antiochians first did, under Paul and Barnabas, who were then first called Christianos by divine revelation as clearly stated in Acts 11:26. Such a one is a true Christianos according to what is actually written and only then should one expect the Christos to begin to be formed in himself or herself.

Matthew 3:11 ASV
11. I indeed baptize you in water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you in the Holy Spirit and in fire:

John 3:5 ASV
5. Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except one be born of water [the immersion of Yochanan] and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God!

Matthew 21:32 ASV
31. Which of the two did the will of his father? They say, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, that the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.
32. For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not; but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye saw it, did not even repent yourselves afterward, that ye might believe him.

I have not found any translation renderings of the following passage which I can fully agree with but the Young's Literal Bible Translation is the closest:

Acts 1:5 YLT
5. because John, indeed, baptized with water, and ye shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit - after not many days.'

Acts 1:5 Transliterated Unaccented
5. hoti Ioannes men ebaptisen hudati, humeis de en Pneumati baptisthesesthe Hagio ou meta pollas tautas hemeras."

"Because indeed Yochanan did immerse [you] in water, you moreover in Spirit shall be immersed Holy not many days hence."

This cryptic statement implies that the immersion of Yochanan was necessary first and foremost, which is the water immersion IN THE WORD, and an immersion of repentance toward the sending away of sins. If we check the record concerning the first critical immersion of a Gentile, that being Cornelius who had joined himself and his house to the Jewish nation, we likewise see the same prerequisite having been met:

Acts 10:37
That word, I say, you know, which was published throughout all Yhudah, and began from the Galilees with the immersion which Yochanan preached:

This is stated to Cornelius and his household, in his house, and confirmed again with a reference back to Acts 1:5 when Peter rehearses what had happened in the next chapter:

Acts 11:15-16
15. And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them, as on us at the beginning.
16. Then remembered I the word of the Master, how that he said,
Yochanan indeed immersed [you] in water; you moreover shall be immersed in Spirit Holy.

Modern westernized Christianity has unfortunately become guilty of promoting nothing more than a "drive-up window", quick and easy pleasy, insurance policy type of instantaneous "salvation" which is deceiving and stealing souls of people. :)

If becoming a Christian entails all of that, would it be any wonder why so few are?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Keypurr and Ben are NOT Christians, so you can eliminate those two.
GM is verbose and Dan is repetitive, but both don't really address the OP.
Technically the correct answer is "Follower of Christ", but that can ONLY be done is one has salvation.

Yes--one who has been adopted (Dan 14:1,2, Ro 11:1-31).

john w

Hall of Fame
Before the LORD saved me 17 years ago, I spent most of my time reading the TV Guide and couldn't care less about the Bible. However, the LORD was "longsuffering"(Romans 2:4 KJV, 1 Timothy 1:16 KJV) toward me and most gracious, and showed me the "gospel of God.......concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord..."(Romans 1:1-3 KJV). To think that the Lord Jesus Christ, God "in the flesh", who "...created all things..."(Revelation 4:11KJV , John 1:3 KJV, Colossians 1:16 KJV , Hebrews 1:2 KJV), "made himself of no reputation , and took upon him the form of a servant...And...humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.."(Philippians 2:7-8 KJV) for my sake-that is the definition of sacrificial love! And he showed his love by dying in my place while I was a sinner and an enemy of God(Romans 5:8-10 KJV)! Amazing!

It is one thing to die for a loved one, but quite another thing to die for someone who is your enemy and had shown not the least bit of interest toward you. The word for a gift, "in the old days," meant that it was given without any expectation of return-grace.. However, in the "Greco-Roman world," grace was always exercised toward a friend, not an enemy. Thus, to the "natural man", who "...receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him..."(1 Corinthians 2:14 KJV), and who embraces the "...wisdom of this world...", which is "...foolishness with God..."(1 Cor. 3:19 KJV), it is "natural", "logical", to "...love them which love you..."(Matthew5:46 KJV). The world does "...love his own..."(John 15:19 KJV) and therefore bestows gifts to its' own(Christmas time, for eg.) The Bible terms this "...the spirit of the world..."(1 Cor. 2:12 KJV ) and contrasts this with "...the spirit which is of God.." The "spirit which is of God" is demonstrated by the cross. The "good news"(this is what "gospel' means), the "...gospel of the grace of God..."(Acts 20:24 KJV) is that we have "...peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ..."(Romans 5:1 KJV), we have been "...reconciled....by Jesus Christ(2 Cor. 5:18 KJV-think on this-only enemies need reconciliation) by his death(Romans 5:10 KJV), by the cross(Ephesians 2:16 KJV), by his blood(Romans 3:25 KJV, Romans 5:9 KJV; Colossians 1:20 KJV; Exodus 12:13 KJV-notice here "...when I see the blood...", not behavior!), and by his identification with(2 Cor. 5:20-21 KJV) and substitution for(="for our"-1 Cor. 15:3 KJV,Romans 5:8 KJV, Galatians 1:4 KJV) sinners. And this "...gift of God..."(Romans 6:23 KJV), this "...free gift...unto justification of life"(Romans 5:18 KJV) in which we are "...justified freely by his grace..."(Romans 3:24 KJV), is appropriated "...by faith..."(Romans 5:1 KJV).

The gospel of the grace of God centers on the fact that God went to the extreme, doing what to the "natural man" is unthinkable and "foolishness"(1 Cor. 1:18 KJV), becoming a man and dying in man's place("for") so that man might be reconciled and thus avoid the "wages of sin", which is "death"(Romans 6:23 KJV). Two truths stand out in the Bible. First, that God, being just and righteous, cannot and will not be satisfied with anything that man can be or do to affect his salvation-Romans 3:10-12 KJV, Isaiah 64:6 KJV, Ephesians 2:8-9 KJV, Romans 7:18 KJV, just to name a few. Second, that God is completely satisfied with everything that the Lord Jesus Christ is and has already done. News, by definition, is something that has already happened! Think on this. To insist that God would be foolish to save man gratuitously, without any conditions attached, is to disregard and insult the infinite worth of the life of the Son of God the Lord Jesus Christ, who was crushed at Calvary so that "...we might be made the righteousness of God in him."(2 Cor. 5:21 KJV). Sadly, most reject "...the gift of God " which is "..eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"(Romans 6:23 KJV).

And how do most reject this gift of eternal life? By trying to "earn it" through a performance-based system-man presents his "good works" as a basis for acceptance with God. Think on this: How is it that we are graciously able to accept a gift from another, without feeling obligated to "return the favor", or ask, "How much do I owe you for this gift?", but are unable, or just outright refuse, to extend God our creator and provider the same regard? For eg., what would your reaction be if your husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend/son/daughter..............., after receiving a gift from you, said "(Name)....How much do I owe you?" This is exactly what people are doing when they attempt to present their "good works" to God as a basis of their acceptance with him-they are presenting a claim, a "debt owed" to God-God will be a debtor to no one! Why do we "...frustrate the grace of God..?"(Galatians2:21 KJV). But as it is written, "...for if righteousness came by the law, Christ is dead in vain."(Gal. 2:21 KJV)

Men/women, have always been saved by grace, either through, or by faith. However, it is another thing, to assert, that the content of faith has never changed, for it has, as the LORD God progressively revealed the "big picture" as pertaining to salvation, centered exclusively on His Christ, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, if not explicitly, is on every page of "the volume of the book," or is there, "in the background," as the sole basis. Thus, Moses knew more than Jacob, who knew more than Isaac, who knew more than Jacob, who knew more than Abraham, who knew more than Noah, who knew more than Enoch, who knew more than Abel............

Thus, it is critical, before anyone starts a serious bible study, that they know what the gospel Paul preached is,the only gospel/good news that will save you, in this dispensation,for "....it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth..."(Romans 1:16 KJV). For "God our Saviour...will have all men to be saved, and come to the knowledge of the truth."(1 Timothy 2:3-4 KJV). In fact, Paul takes the gospel content so seriously that he places a curse on anyone(including an angel from heaven) that would "pervert' or "preach any other gospel"-read carefully Galatians 1:6-9 KJV.

I nominate this post for POTLED-"Post Of The Last Eleven Days."

Danoh

You cheated, John W.

Not fair; you based all that on the Scripture.

Must not really be you. Must be that Robin, when the real one was kidnapped :)

Danoh

Thanks, Oh of Dan. Sometimes I can rise to the occasion!

Well, you never did help me remember what episode it was where Robin was kidnapped and a female was made up to impersonate him...

So, no, no kudos to you, lol

Lol, maybe Robin was transgender.

Cross Reference

Good post, JW, however, it is all about salvation. What to do after salvation should be the subject of concern for any serious Christian. You speak of Paul as your mentor, well, he had some heavy duty things to say about the deeper things of God __ after salvation. What do you say, assuming you read those parts?

Dan Emanuel

What, do you think, makes someone a Christian?
Someone who, "searches for the Lord and has good will," who is, "seeking the Lord in good faith," who, "seeks God and has good will," "who searches for the Lord and has goodwill."
Keypurr and Ben are NOT Christians, so you can eliminate those two.
GM is verbose and Dan is repetitive, but both don't really address the OP.
Technically the correct answer is "Follower of Christ", but that can ONLY be done is one has salvation.
My apology's for the confusion; the repetition. My post is four different English rendering[']s of the same thing, said in another language by the current successor of Peter. Here is the official English version of what make's a person a Christian:
If someone is . . . searching for the Lord and has good will . . . .

[(Se una persona . . . e cerca il Signore e ha buona volontà . . . .)]
Source.

DJ

Last edited:

john w

Hall of Fame

Thanks.

... however, it is all about salvation. What to do after salvation should be the subject of concern for any serious Christian. You speak of Paul as your mentor, well, he had some heavy duty things to say about the deeper things of God __ after salvation.

Agreed, that "What to do after salvation should be the subject of concern for any serious Christian." And?

I stay on topic-"Definition of a Christian."

What do you say, assuming you read those parts?
I stay on topic,"Definition of a Christian," andd suggest you start a thread on that topic.

Can you dig it?

"assuming you read those parts?"-you

I had not thought of reading those parts. Thanks for the insight, rummy.

john w

Hall of Fame
Well, you never did help me remember what episode it was where Robin was kidnapped and a female was made up to impersonate him...

So, no, no kudos to you, lol

Lol, maybe Robin was transgender.

I'm still tryin' to figger out that Bruce/Robin/Alfred living arrangement....And what about Aunt Harriet?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Before the LORD saved me 17 years ago, I spent most of my time reading the TV Guide and couldn't care less about the Bible. However, the LORD was "longsuffering"(Romans 2:4 KJV, 1 Timothy 1:16 KJV) toward me and most gracious, and showed me the "gospel of God.......concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord..."(Romans 1:1-3 KJV). To think that the Lord Jesus Christ, God "in the flesh", who "...created all things..."(Revelation 4:11KJV , John 1:3 KJV, Colossians 1:16 KJV , Hebrews 1:2 KJV), "made himself of no reputation , and took upon him the form of a servant...And...humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.."(Philippians 2:7-8 KJV) for my sake-that is the definition of sacrificial love! And he showed his love by dying in my place while I was a sinner and an enemy of God(Romans 5:8-10 KJV)! Amazing!

It is one thing to die for a loved one, but quite another thing to die for someone who is your enemy and had shown not the least bit of interest toward you. The word for a gift, "in the old days," meant that it was given without any expectation of return-grace.. However, in the "Greco-Roman world," grace was always exercised toward a friend, not an enemy. Thus, to the "natural man", who "...receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him..."(1 Corinthians 2:14 KJV), and who embraces the "...wisdom of this world...", which is "...foolishness with God..."(1 Cor. 3:19 KJV), it is "natural", "logical", to "...love them which love you..."(Matthew5:46 KJV). The world does "...love his own..."(John 15:19 KJV) and therefore bestows gifts to its' own(Christmas time, for eg.) The Bible terms this "...the spirit of the world..."(1 Cor. 2:12 KJV ) and contrasts this with "...the spirit which is of God.." The "spirit which is of God" is demonstrated by the cross. The "good news"(this is what "gospel' means), the "...gospel of the grace of God..."(Acts 20:24 KJV) is that we have "...peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ..."(Romans 5:1 KJV), we have been "...reconciled....by Jesus Christ(2 Cor. 5:18 KJV-think on this-only enemies need reconciliation) by his death(Romans 5:10 KJV), by the cross(Ephesians 2:16 KJV), by his blood(Romans 3:25 KJV, Romans 5:9 KJV; Colossians 1:20 KJV; Exodus 12:13 KJV-notice here "...when I see the blood...", not behavior!), and by his identification with(2 Cor. 5:20-21 KJV) and substitution for(="for our"-1 Cor. 15:3 KJV,Romans 5:8 KJV, Galatians 1:4 KJV) sinners. And this "...gift of God..."(Romans 6:23 KJV), this "...free gift...unto justification of life"(Romans 5:18 KJV) in which we are "...justified freely by his grace..."(Romans 3:24 KJV), is appropriated "...by faith..."(Romans 5:1 KJV).

The gospel of the grace of God centers on the fact that God went to the extreme, doing what to the "natural man" is unthinkable and "foolishness"(1 Cor. 1:18 KJV), becoming a man and dying in man's place("for") so that man might be reconciled and thus avoid the "wages of sin", which is "death"(Romans 6:23 KJV). Two truths stand out in the Bible. First, that God, being just and righteous, cannot and will not be satisfied with anything that man can be or do to affect his salvation-Romans 3:10-12 KJV, Isaiah 64:6 KJV, Ephesians 2:8-9 KJV, Romans 7:18 KJV, just to name a few. Second, that God is completely satisfied with everything that the Lord Jesus Christ is and has already done. News, by definition, is something that has already happened! Think on this. To insist that God would be foolish to save man gratuitously, without any conditions attached, is to disregard and insult the infinite worth of the life of the Son of God the Lord Jesus Christ, who was crushed at Calvary so that "...we might be made the righteousness of God in him."(2 Cor. 5:21 KJV). Sadly, most reject "...the gift of God " which is "..eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"(Romans 6:23 KJV).

And how do most reject this gift of eternal life? By trying to "earn it" through a performance-based system-man presents his "good works" as a basis for acceptance with God. Think on this: How is it that we are graciously able to accept a gift from another, without feeling obligated to "return the favor", or ask, "How much do I owe you for this gift?", but are unable, or just outright refuse, to extend God our creator and provider the same regard? For eg., what would your reaction be if your husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend/son/daughter..............., after receiving a gift from you, said "(Name)....How much do I owe you?" This is exactly what people are doing when they attempt to present their "good works" to God as a basis of their acceptance with him-they are presenting a claim, a "debt owed" to God-God will be a debtor to no one! Why do we "...frustrate the grace of God..?"(Galatians2:21 KJV). But as it is written, "...for if righteousness came by the law, Christ is dead in vain."(Gal. 2:21 KJV)

Men/women, have always been saved by grace, either through, or by faith. However, it is another thing, to assert, that the content of faith has never changed, for it has, as the LORD God progressively revealed the "big picture" as pertaining to salvation, centered exclusively on His Christ, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, if not explicitly, is on every page of "the volume of the book," or is there, "in the background," as the sole basis. Thus, Moses knew more than Jacob, who knew more than Isaac, who knew more than Jacob, who knew more than Abraham, who knew more than Noah, who knew more than Enoch, who knew more than Abel............

Thus, it is critical, before anyone starts a serious bible study, that they know what the gospel Paul preached is,the only gospel/good news that will save you, in this dispensation,for "....it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth..."(Romans 1:16 KJV). For "God our Saviour...will have all men to be saved, and come to the knowledge of the truth."(1 Timothy 2:3-4 KJV). In fact, Paul takes the gospel content so seriously that he places a curse on anyone(including an angel from heaven) that would "pervert' or "preach any other gospel"-read carefully Galatians 1:6-9 KJV.

I nominate this post for POTLED-"Post Of The Last Eleven Days."

fabulous post - extra ordinary - :first:

StanJ

How far do you have to follow him to earn the gift of salvation/eternal life? Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 6:23

Nobody EARNS salvation, it is a GIFT, freely given. Rom 10:9-11 shows the requirements to be get saved. It is instantaneous if this is followed.