Decriminalizing indoor prostitution leads to fewer rapes and STDs

GFR7

when he declined to condemn the woman taken in adultery, what were His last words to her?
I already know his view is, "Sin no more."

I still simply cannot accept the poor being arrested while the monied are not;
the jails filling up with the have nots while the haves go free.

I believe Jesus would agree with me, even though he would feel they were in error.

I would be lying to you if I said this issue of monied vs poor didn't raise my ire: It does. It just does.

Jesus said:

Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,

2 Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:

3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,

6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,

7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.

8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.

9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

16 Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!

17 Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold?

18 And, Whosoever shall swear by the altar, it is nothing; but whosoever sweareth by the gift that is upon it, he is guilty.

19 Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gift, or the altar that sanctifieth the gift?

20 Whoso therefore shall swear by the altar, sweareth by it, and by all things thereon.

21 And whoso shall swear by the temple, sweareth by it, and by him that dwelleth therein.

22 And he that shall swear by heaven, sweareth by the throne of God, and by him that sitteth thereon.

23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

25 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.

26 Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.

27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.

28 Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,

30 And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.

31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets.

32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.

33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:

35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.

36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.

GFR7

Jesus would say the wealthy are in no position to judge.

His words above I grasp wholly. :AMR1:

Christian Liberty

what side is God on?

Are you God?

This WAS my point. Intuitively, I recoil from the idea of a wealthy lawyer getting a blow job in a cushy Hilton hotel room, legally , all comfy and cozy and safe. . .

- while some poor guy out in a car (and poor girl) gets handcuffed, tasered, and thrown in city jail.

I don't like prostitution or that kind of sex, but if it is going to go on, don't pick on the poor. Is that so difficult for others to understand?

I was born with a heart open to the oppressed. It's the way I was made. :nono:
:(

Good post. Its going to happen, and Jesus' response to it wasn't to call the police (or to become a cop, for that matter.) So, ours shouldn't be either. Preach the gospel:)

GFR7

His words to her were to go and sin no more.

So do you think she went and never sinned again?
That is a good question. Whether she was so grateful and so moved that her entire outlook changed. Or perhaps she returned to her old ways.

The 5 solas

His words to her were to go and sin no more.

So do you think she went and never sinned again?

That is what He told her to do..she was forgiven and He was calling her to repentance. Sin no more, turn away from that sin, do not commit adultery again. We do not know who that woman was or what her story was. It is your story. It is my story. It is all of our stories, when we are forgiven.

If you are a parent, who disciplines your child for a wrong doing..you then will say, I forgive you. Do not do it again. That is the goal, right? Will the child fail and do it again? Maybe, but the lesson has been given.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
"go and sin no more"

a challenge?

a command?

a free pass?

:idunno:

but, in the context of the op, i find it very difficult to interpret it as "go and do whatever you like - commit adultery seventeen times a day - i got yer back :thumb: "

SammyT

The only dummies out there in regards to this issue are those who don't want to reduce rape by decriminalizing prostitution. Are you one of these dummies, Nick M?

That's a false statement. You're basically saying if someone doesn't support the legalization of prostitution that they support rapes. That is a load of balogna.

JosephR

Decriminalizing indoor prostitution leads to fewer rapes and STDs

If the principal is sound, why not decriminalize everything?

Skip the entire idea of government - have a 24/7 365 purge.

If your principal was right, than that would be a utopia.

Be careful, you May do that and actually institute things like honor, and loyalty.. We don't want that:)

Posted from the TOL App!

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
The only dummies out there in regards to this issue are those who don't want to reduce rape by decriminalizing prostitution. Are you one of these dummies, Nick M?
The dummy is the one who bites into stupid reports like the one in the OP. Are you that dummy?

Christian Liberty

That's a false statement. You're basically saying if someone doesn't support the legalization of prostitution that they support rapes. That is a load of balogna.

Change "rapes" to "violence" and the statement is undeniably true.

That is what He told her to do..she was forgiven and He was calling her to repentance. Sin no more, turn away from that sin, do not commit adultery again. We do not know who that woman was or what her story was. It is your story. It is my story. It is all of our stories, when we are forgiven.

If you are a parent, who disciplines your child for a wrong doing..you then will say, I forgive you. Do not do it again. That is the goal, right? Will the child fail and do it again? Maybe, but the lesson has been given.

I think the blatantly clear, obvious point here is that Jesus was saying that it was wrong to stone the woman to death for adultery, under New Testament law. Does that mean adultery is acceptable? Obviously not.

Mind you, I understand that the validity of this particular passage, much like the tail end of Mark 16, is disputed. Some of the original manuscripts lack this passage. But even if it isn't there, there are other texts that make similar cases.

"go and sin no more"

a challenge?

a command?

a free pass?

:idunno:

but, in the context of the op, i find it very difficult to interpret it as "go and do whatever you like - commit adultery seventeen times a day - i got yer back :thumb: "

It was a command. But if she failed, do you think Jesus would have been like "yeah, go ahead and kill her"? I don't think so.

If the principal is sound, why not decriminalize everything?

Skip the entire idea of government - have a 24/7 365 purge.

If your principal was right, than that would be a utopia.

Larken Rose said this in response to "The Purge" movie preview (from youtube comments):

I should also have mentioned, I've SEEN first hand what happens when there are no cops, no "authority," and no "laws" are enforced--not just for a day (or 12 hours), but for a week. It happens every June in New Hampshire. It's called the Porcupine Freedom Festival ("Porcfest" for short). The results are shocking!: about a thousand people, from every walk of life, from wildly varied backgrounds, many of them armed, get along in a perfectly friendly, peaceful atmosphere, and have a swell time.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Just when you think Tinark can not get any dumber....
I don't think I've ever thought that.

Jesus had compassion for prostitutes, drinkers (those in sin):

The Son of man is come eating and drinking;
and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man,
and a winebibber,
a friend of publicans
and sinners!
Those He befriended were those who repented. He had compassion for them because He wanted to call them to repentance.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I agree with your solution (I certainly don't visit them, lol) but I don't think anyone wants more prostitution. Speaking for myself, however, I do want less people being locked up for victimless crimes.

Aiding adultery, spreading disease, aiding in drug addiction, possible kidnap victims and rapes....

Those are all victimless crimes???

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Jesus would say the wealthy are in no position to judge. .........

Well..........

Let's remember why the wealthy were usually wealthy in Jesus' day. The reasons why were rarely anything good.

Today one can become wealthy by honest hard work. I don't think Jesus would have a problem with that.

Christian Liberty

Aiding adultery, spreading disease, aiding in drug addiction, possible kidnap victims and rapes....

Those are all victimless crimes???

Adultery is a victimless crime in the strictest sense, in that it is not an aggressive act and thus should not be handled violently.

"spreading disease", I can assume you are talking about STDs, which would be a risk one chooses to take when engaging in prostitution.

"Aiding in" drug addiction? What does that entail? Selling drugs to willful customers? Again, its a victimless crime in the strictest sense because it isn't an aggressive act.

That's not to say that any of the above is desirable or should be encouraged, just that they aren't violent acts and shouldn't be handled violently.

Kidnap and rape, of course, are violent acts.