Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

iouae

You still don't get it. The scientist has to shut up and obey or else he can't pay the mortgage, nor can he do any science.

There are SOME scientists like that who just write worthless papers to enable them to travel to seminars, and feel smart. They are in it for the perks.

But there are some famous TV evangelists just like this too.

Jose Fly

I would also equate populations evolving with evolution.
But when I see them diversify and varieties increase or decrease as a %, then I am not looking at evolution.

I thought earlier you basically said that populations diversifying and populations evolving were the same thing? RIGHT HERE, you said about the two, "Maybe they are the same natural process as seen through the eyes of a Creationist and an Evolutionist respectively".

Now you're saying the opposite.

You should pay more attention at your evolution seminars.
Or if they teach that there, then shame.

You should stop worrying about me, and focus more on establishing a clear, consistent position.

iouae

I thought earlier you basically said that populations diversifying and populations evolving were the same thing? RIGHT HERE, you said about the two, "Maybe they are the same natural process as seen through the eyes of a Creationist and an Evolutionist respectively".

Now you're saying the opposite.

You should stop worrying about me, and focus more on establishing a clear, consistent position.

You should pay attention.

I said that what I see as diversification is what you see as evolution.

Which is the same as I am still saying.

To put it clearer - YOU ARE WRONG TO CALL DIVERSIFICATION EVOLUTION. Clear enough?

Jose Fly

You should pay attention.

I said that what I see as diversification is what you see as evolution.

Which is the same as I am still saying.

To put it clearer - YOU ARE WRONG TO CALL DIVERSIFICATION EVOLUTION. Clear enough?

So you think you get to redefine established terms to suit your own agenda. Got it.

alwight

All the famous scientists practiced science because they were PASSIONATE about it, not for the money.

Likewise, believers go to church because they are PASSIONATE about Christ.

It's not about the money.

Some of us are PASSIONATE about both science and religion. True story :)
It would be nice if we all had something to feel passionate about and if you can also feel passionate about your job then what could be better?
I didn't particularly feel passionate about my job before I retired, I certainly didn't hate it by any means, but there were times when I felt as though I really did make a difference which was worth far more than money.

iouae

It would be nice if we all had something to feel passionate about and if you can also feel passionate about your job then what could be better?
I didn't particularly feel passionate about my job before I retired, I certainly didn't hate it by any means, but there were times when I felt as though I really did make a difference which was worth far more than money.

That is the one thing I REALLY FEAR. Waking up some morning with NOTHING to feel passionate about. :)

iouae

Like I said before, I equate populations evolving with evolution. But I'm funny that way. :)

So your wife EVOLVES babies does she, every time she gives birth, since she has diversified the human population, and added to your specific demographic by doing so. Do you grasp how ridiculous your position is?

iouae

Don't you envy folks like Einstein who wake up in the morning, get involved with thinking about their science, and next thing its dark?
To be so focused on something he enjoyed so much.

iouae

No. I didn't realize you were so unfamiliar with evolutionary biology. I suggest you stop trying to debate it, and take some time to understand it first.

I definitely might stop debating it with you since you seem to lack the basic theory and science.

iouae

"So your wife EVOLVES babies does she, every time she gives birth, since she has diversified the human population, and added to your specific demographic by doing so. Do you grasp how ridiculous your position is?"

Jose, tell me how the above differs from what you say evolution is.

alwight

Don't you envy folks like Einstein who wake up in the morning, get involved with thinking about their science, and next thing its dark?
To be so focused on something he enjoyed so much.
At least I feel smart enough to know I'm no genius and I can tailor my own ambitions to what I can do and be content with that.
Sadly some people are not smart enough to know that in fact they don't know it all, but then ignorance is bliss, isn't it?

iouae

At least I feel smart enough to know I'm no genius and I can tailor my own ambitions to what I can do and be content with that.
Sadly some people are not smart enough to know that in fact they don't know it all, but then ignorance is bliss, isn't it?

I have never tried to equate passion with intelligence.
Passion can come out of the simplest things. Like gardening is not rocket science, but some are passionate about that.

iouae

My wife did not "evolve babies". She gestated and gave birth to them. And whether or not those children caused a change in allele frequencies in the population (most importantly, the effective population) remains to be seen since they're not old enough to reproduce yet.

OK then look back on recent human history and population change. Point out the evolution in the documented human history of civilisations..

Greg Jennings

Many scientists do go into scientific fields because they're genuinely interested in making new discoveries. But before they even get to grad school, their professors make it very clear to them that they will tow the accepted line or they will not graduate.
Funny. I don't remember that happening to me in undergrad as a biology major. Hmm...

If they decide to play the game and graduate, they had better not challenge the prevailing theory or they will not be given grant money.
My professors routinely challenged us to think outside of the box, particularly during labs when the answer isn't always crystal clear.

No grant money => no research => no discovery.

It's not that all scientists are participating in some grand conspiracy. It's that they're choosing what they see as the lesser of two evils.
In my experience as a student, you are wrong. At what school did you encounter your dissuasive professors?

Status
Not open for further replies.