Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfern

You certainly seemed to equate common ancestry beliefs with science when you said "religious people like to misuse science".
It is becoming clear that you have some sort of pathological fixation on evolution (common ancestry). I mention “science’ and you see that as evolution. Counseling may help to restore some balance to your outlook, but I’m not very hopeful.
Evolutionists use the fallacy of equivocation to sell their beliefs.
But I was not, have not, and am not saying squat about evolution, so I will take this as just another opportunistic jab against evolution that you couldn’t pass up.
This whole thread is about evolution
No it isn’t, in spite of the title, I didn’t have to go very far back to spot several sub-threads in which science, exclusive of evolution, was discussed.
which you seem to equate with science.
You just can’t get off that hobby-horse can you? I have pointed out several times that my entry into and interest in this thread was in response to a statement about the moon’s orbit. But you are adamant that somehow that means I “equate evolution with science”. For such time as I elect to participate in this thread, I am going to effectively ignore further --- -what is the applicable logical fallacy – strawman”? ---- in which you pretty much ignore what I say and substitute what you seem to wish I had said. Sorry about that, but if you want to me to respond, have enough respect to address what I actually said,
Are you referring to observable processes...or, to your unobservable belief system about the past? (Common ancestry).
See, this is amazing. I discuss how the moon’s orbit changes over time (“the past”), and in your response you translate that into “Common ancestry”.
What branches of science did you want to discuss?
Duhhhhhh, you need to ask that after I have posted a dozen or more times? But on the moon orbit issue, since you already pretty much felt flat on your face, you probably should sit that one out.
Surely you don't think any nuclear physicists are a blank slate re our origins?
The nuclear physicists I have dealt with did nuclear physics. I know some were faithful Christians, some were of other faiths, many I had no idea of their religious leanings. What ideas they had on origins never entered into the studies they did.
BTW.... the physicist studies radioactive rates in the present and make assumptions about the past. Do they assume that argon existed in the beginning? Do they assume argon exists only as a decay product?
Have you done work in nuclear physics? Do you honestly think that the people whose professional careers have depended on understanding the factors in nuclear decay are a bunch of blithering idiots?
So Andrew Snelling should be identified just as a geologist? You are opposed to identifying him as a creationist?
Too bad you didn’t want to answer the question I asked. You pick one geologist and avoid answering the question for a few thousand others?
So you would be opposed to identifying astronomer Dr Jonathon Henry as a creationist?
Would you be opposed to a huge number of astronomers being identified as astronomers, without religious labels being appended?
.. you seem to confuse distance in space with time. They are two different things.
A city is near you “in space” and you know how far away. Are you going to be confused by how long it would take you to drive there?
..perfection (in the moon’s orbit) has been lost.
And the one thing you have not said is that you are incapable of even telling us what “perfection” means when discussing the moon’s orbit. Admitting an error like that must really stick in your craw.

Rosenritter

Can you guide me to a paper on this lava dating please?

I'd be surprised if such a date was concluded from a standard technique, using multiple samples and multiple techniques and careful specified handling. The rigours of peer review usually weeds out this sort of sloppy work.

https://answersingenesis.org/geology/radiometric-dating/radiometric-dating-problems-with-the-assumptions/

This is a light reading article that references some of the absurd dates. Consider that these same dates would have been taken without question if there wasn't such obvious contradictions on their face. And don't put too much faith in alleged "peer work" - do you remember the posts from 6Days about the Creationist that was fired because he subjected dinosaur soft tissue to C14 dating? The "peers" are going to make sure that you only publish results they like.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
If so, how do you distinguish between what God said and did not day when you read the Bible?

For me it's always been just a little common sense. Growing up in Christianity I just assumed the YEC was part myth, pseudo biographical. Noah's flood was obviously greatly exaggerated. Then I found more revelatory enformation that helped explain what happened. We should have never assumed the Bible was perfect, only God is perfect.

6days

Redfern said:
I mention “science’ and you see that as evolution.
Science and evolution are two separate things.

Redfern said:
Would you be opposed to a huge number of astronomers being identified as astronomers, without religious labels being appended?
Of course not. However, if they are discussing their beliefs about the past, the religious label (creationist / evolutionist) can be used. It would be dishonest to make blanket statements such as "Astronomers believe the moon was created"...or. "Astronomers believe the moon is more than 4 billion years old".

Redfern said:
A city is near you “in space” and you know how far away. Are you going to be confused by how long it would take you to drive there?
You seem to confuse 'distance' and 'time'. They are two separate things.

Jose Fly

redfern

The tidal bulge is cut off when it runs into land that extends from north to south, which in today's world is significant around the continents of Africa and America.

The idea in your papers is that there were no significant land masses like that in the past.

This means the bulge would remain in play all around the globe, instead of being cut off twice.

More bulge in play means more gravity to drive moon recession.
I like this. This shows some good thinking, but I need some clarifications. If I understand your point, anything that would eliminate oceanic friction would result in the tidal bulge being bigger, and thus exert a stronger pull on the moon. I agree.

I don’t see where you account for the equally important part that friction plays – in determining the location of the tidal bulge. If, as Mr. Brown shows in his Figure 248, the earth didn’t rotate, the bulges (there are two, but for much of the discussion we can look at just the one on the moon side of the earth).would be aligned with the cislunar point.

But, as Mr. Brown says
… is because the spinning Earth carries the bulges out of alignment as shown in Figure 249. If Earth spun faster in the past, as we will see, the misalignment would have been even greater.
What Mr. Brown glosses over is the “why” – what factors determine how far the bulges are misaligned.

As you point out, the bulge has to reform at least when it moves from land into oceans where it is not currently seen. That means the movement of a lot of water to form that “new” bulge. Near the land, where this reforming takes place, is also where the oceans are typically the most shallow- where the continental shelves are. Shallow water is where the most friction with the bottom occurs. And that slows the formation of the bulge, meaning that part of the earth will have rotated father away from being under the moon by the time the bulge forms than if there had been less friction. That increases the “y” distance that appears in Mr. Brown’s equations.

So let’s look at the open ocean (no land interference) case – low friction means big bulge, but low friction means bulge forms rapidly closer to the cislunar point. Bigger bulge, but less offset to affect the moon’s orbit. Which effect is most significant?

Now since, as you say,
The idea in your papers is that there were no significant land masses l …
I take this to mean you have actually read them. Can you tell us which of the papers take the approach of “no land masses”? (Not all the papers cover the same ideas, so I need to ask). And, I would be most disappointed to find that “creationists hate reading”. By the way, although the papers are a bit pricey, most colleges with courses dealing with elementary solar system dynamics would likely have subscriptions you could copy.

People who are moderately competent in physics might recognize yet another interesting aspect to this problem. How about when the moon is directly above large land masses, such as when it crosses directly over huge swaths of Africa or South America? No ocean there for a tidal bulge to form, yet on the opposite side of the world, the “opposing tidal bulge” (which actually acts to retard the moon’s orbit) forms. I‘ll let you cogitate on that one, unless you feel up to commenting on it.

Last edited:

marke

Didn't you read the linked abstract?

Dinosaur bones are not usually the original bone material, but have been remineralised by the action of percolating groundwater during the period after burial. Water routinely has dissolved uranium salts (up to 10s of µg/L).

If uranium salts are dissolved by groundwater then accurate date testing using uranium is impossible.

marke

Not only that, but as the folks at RATE have admitted...

"I did have an interesting conversation saturday morning with RATE
coordinator, Larry Vardiman, who seems like a pretty decent guy. I asked why no recognized experts on radiometric dating were invited to participate in the conference, given that none of the speakers had any training or experience in experimental geochronology. He was candid enough to admit that they would
have liked to included one on the team, but there are no young-earth geochronologists in the world.
"​

...and the creationists once again have a heat problem...

"He also agreed that the mechanism for accelerating radioactivity by nearly a billion-fold during a single year (the flood year) was a major problem for the group that in the end will probably only be resolved by invoking a
“cosmic-scale event” or miracle. He further conceded that at this point they have no physical evidence for this miracle. Apparently, dissipation of the heat produced during the event is, in the end, going to require yet an additional miracle.
"​

So RATE has no one actually trained or experienced in geochronology and they have no answers for the major problems that necessarily extend from their beliefs (except to invoke miracles).

That's yet one more indication of why young-earth creationism has absolutely no standing in the scientific community, and hasn't had any for well over a century.

Regardless of what religious orientation a scientist has, he is still burdened by unsolved mysteries in dating issues. For one side to dismiss the credentials or the expertise of the other side based upon issues that neither side have resolved is not scientific - it is deceptive.

marke

For me it's always been just a little common sense. Growing up in Christianity I just assumed the YEC was part myth, pseudo biographical. Noah's flood was obviously greatly exaggerated. Then I found more revelatory enformation that helped explain what happened. We should have never assumed the Bible was perfect, only God is perfect.

Your supposed insight into spiritual truth is, by your own testimony, "just a little common sense" and assumptions?

Status
Not open for further replies.