Covid Vaccination: I'm getting my first dose on Thursday

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
1. If, completely theoretically, this was actually a dangerous epidemic- say like the Spanish Flu- would you agree with the measures that have been taken?
2. How is wearing a mask hurting me?
On the Spanish flu or similar pandamic (or worse) and why I wouldn't agree with measures being taken:
Locking down will always be worse than letting people look out for their best interest. Masks don't help stop an aerosolized virus from spreading.

On masks from least bad to the most bad:
1. They make you sick. It can be counted on that the population will not change their mask like they should. It should be changed roughly every 20 minutes since that is roughly the saturation time in a situation where one wants to wear a mask most of the day. Because this isn't happening, and this is true of either cloth or paper masks, just realize why *everyone* pulls their mask down when they sneeze. Because it's so gross to smear a sneeze over your own face... which is precisely what you are doing in slow motion breathing into a mask all day. And it's gross because we all realize it's a petri dish for bad bugs.

2. Breathing higher concentrations of CO2 for no reason is not good for you. You may find that O2 levels in your blood only go down a little bit, but not enough to worry about, you believe. But you'd be wrong. Your body has to change both its breathing tempo and heartrate to keep up with the greater demands of trying to extract O2 from an environment where typical ~400ppm CO2 is being used to ~2000ppm your body gets behind a mask. But that's just the beginning; A great number of things have to change in your body a little bit, including brain function, which uses a lot of oxygen. And some people's bodies have trouble adjusting to the change, which is why some people become at risk when they climb mountains - know one knows until they try it and they don't need a doctor to tell them they don't feel well. These people become at risk when they are forced to quadruple (or more) the CO2 concentrations they are breathing. Because I care about these people I wouldn't force them to wear a mask, and it's how I know I care about people more than you. Do you admit you don't care about people and lie to everyone else or do you think you care about people despite the evidence and just lie to yourself?

3. Masks create division. A person's life can be destroyed, and have been destroyed if they don't knuckle under to the whim of the state. Karen suddenly has the power she's been craving using jack booted thugs in police uniforms because it's a state mandate. It's a David's star to have a face in today's world.

Can you answer these questions? Was it a bad idea for the government to force people to wear a David's star in Nazi Germany? Or was it benign? Since the medical implications of wearing a face are the same as wearing a David's star, wouldn't the reasons for being forced to wear a David's star be as bad as wearing a face in a masked world? Why or why not?

Hilltrot

1. If, completely theoretically, this was actually a dangerous epidemic- say like the Spanish Flu- would you agree with the measures that have been taken?
2. How is wearing a mask hurting me?
1. No. But Covid-19 is not nearly as dangerous as the flu. The lockdown orders are useless and stupid as well as in direct opposition to many state constitutions.

Mask orders are stupid. Unless someone is willingly using a mask, the mask will not work because they will wear the mask incorrectly.

Shutting down the schools was stupid. Schools are not a major vector for the disease. U.S. education is unable to be given online to at-risk populations. Schools stilled opened to serve breakfast and lunch.

2. I don't believe masks hurt people. However, trying to make them mandatory days after leading medical personnel like Fauci say that they are useless is stupid and political.

chair

So far we've (Israel) vaccinated over a million people- over 12% of the population. Millions more have been vaccinated in other countries. How many cases of severe side effects have there been?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So far we've (Israel) vaccinated over a million people- over 12% of the population. Millions more have been vaccinated in other countries. How many cases of severe side effects have there been?
The mainstream media would never want to report something like that, so you'll have to find the information from other sources. Frequently in cases like this we have to wait for some related field to publish something about it.

chair

The mainstream media would never want to report something like that, so you'll have to find the information from other sources. Frequently in cases like this we have to wait for some related field to publish something about it.

Let me know when you find such data. This is a small and noisy country- secrets are hard to keep here.

In the meantime, we're over 14% inoculated. I think second doses will be starting next week.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
>17% vaccinated so far....
Roughly the same population as that of greater metro NYC, in roughly half the area

So, about one and a quarter million, compared to four and a half million in the US

Congratulations

chair

Roughly the same population as that of greater metro NYC, in roughly half the area

So, about one and a quarter million, compared to four and a half million in the US

Congratulations
Thank you.
Hopefully the US will get more of it's population vaccinated soon.

chair

We have you beat by a factor of three, in a country 444x as large:)

Ah- a contest.
When we have vaccinated 100% or our population, and you have reached 3%- you will have us beaten in absolute numbers! Wonderful- but this isn't a contest or a sport.

The US is much larger, with much more people- and far more resources. Unfortunately it is also poorly organized to deal with this kind of thing.

eider

Ah- a contest.
When we have vaccinated 100% or our population, and you have reached 3%- you will have us beaten in absolute numbers! Wonderful- but this isn't a contest or a sport.

The US is much larger, with much more people- and far more resources. Unfortunately it is also poorly organized to deal with this kind of thing.

Both my Parents in Law have just been vaccinated (UK). They were contacted by their local surgery and asked to come in for the jabs. They are in their late 70's and with risky health conditions, so it does look as if we have already covered our NHS staff, care homes and those over 80 years.

We have two vaccinations now, Pfizer's and AstraZenica's. It has been decided to get everybody vaccinated before any second jabs are administered due to the rate that Covid is infecting the population.

To give an idea of how swiftly it is accelerating, on Sunday morning our PM insisted on television that our Primary schools must remain open. On Monday evening he held an emergency television speech to reverse that order immediately. Some are moaning that he cannot make up his mind, but that's how fast the infection is spreading here.

Gary K

Banned
Both my Parents in Law have just been vaccinated (UK). They were contacted by their local surgery and asked to come in for the jabs. They are in their late 70's and with risky health conditions, so it does look as if we have already covered our NHS staff, care homes and those over 80 years.

We have two vaccinations now, Pfizer's and AstraZenica's. It has been decided to get everybody vaccinated before any second jabs are administered due to the rate that Covid is infecting the population.

To give an idea of how swiftly it is accelerating, on Sunday morning our PM insisted on television that our Primary schools must remain open. On Monday evening he held an emergency television speech to reverse that order immediately. Some are moaning that he cannot make up his mind, but that's how fast the infection is spreading here.
It's going to be a big shock to you when your in laws have big time problems. You should have given them much greater protection.

chair

It is very difficult for many governments to deal with the epidemic. There is huge political and economic pressure to open everything as much as possible, and only when things are really bad is there the political will to do what needs to be done. Due to the time delay involved between people getting infected and their getting seriously ill, this can be disastrous. You wait till the hospitals are overloaded- and only then respond with strong measures- but by then you are guaranteed that it will get much worse before it gets better.

Looking back at it- countries like New Zealand got it right. Better to be tough at first, really control infections, and then you can properly do contact tracing and quarantine travelers. When you have thousands infected each day, the whole thing falls apart.

Gary K

Banned
Ah- a contest.

Yeah, ain't it bad that we still have some liberty left rather than have fully implemented totalitarianism?

Government is no panacea. It does far more harm than it does good.

chair

It's going to be a big shock to you when your in laws have big time problems. You should have given them much greater protection.

Nearly 20% of Israelis have been vaccinated so far (one dose so far). I haven't heard of serious reactions so far. Maybe we have to wait longer?

A month from now, when there are still no serious reactions to the vaccine, what will you say? That the government and MSM are hiding the facts? If you continue filtering information this way, you can believe anything at all - and nobody can disprove your delusion.

chair

Yeah, ain't it bad that we still have some liberty left rather than have fully implemented totalitarianism?

Government is no panacea. It does far more harm than it does good.
There are times when you have to give up on part of your liberty for the good of your community and country. Every soldier does that when he signs up. Every 16 year old who gets a drivers license does that when he agrees to follow traffic laws.

These are unusual times, and that requires unusual, though temporary means.

eider

You know my Step Dad and Mum?
Or do you have medium powers?

I think not.
I think you're quite totally paranoid about our vaccines, face-masks, social distancing, and more. Yet you fly headlong for all those quack ideas about how to protect from Covid.

Hey! Didn't you initially think that Covid was all a scam?

Very very strange......

eider

There are times when you have to give up on part of your liberty for the good of your community and country. Every soldier does that when he signs up. Every 16 year old who gets a drivers license does that when he agrees to follow traffic laws.

These are unusual times, and that requires unusual, though temporary means.

Absolutely!
These 'I wanna be freee!' folks don't seem to understand that they can't walk down a town street without having to obey certain rules.

Even Forums have rules which must be obeyed..... I wonder how freeloader copes with forums rules, or employment rules, or rules such as 'buy a ticket to travel'.... ?

Very very strange.....

eider

It is very difficult for many governments to deal with the epidemic. There is huge political and economic pressure to open everything as much as possible, and only when things are really bad is there the political will to do what needs to be done. Due to the time delay involved between people getting infected and their getting seriously ill, this can be disastrous. You wait till the hospitals are overloaded- and only then respond with strong measures- but by then you are guaranteed that it will get much worse before it gets better.

Looking back at it- countries like New Zealand got it right. Better to be tough at first, really control infections, and then you can properly do contact tracing and quarantine travelers. When you have thousands infected each day, the whole thing falls apart.

Sure. All true as far as I'm concerned.

Sweden was fairly laid back about Covid last year and has often been named by the 'wanna be freee!' crowd, but Covid is flying through Sweden now and controls are beginning to be introduced.

I offered to be a guinea pig for Astra-Zenica/Oxford researchers about 6 months ago but was not chosen. I would have either of our vaccines tomorrow/today but haven't been called yet.

My wife does have a reaction to flu jabs... a puffy arm for about 24 hours, but even she would jump for the chance of a Covid jab. She works in a high customer traffic job for a veterinary surgeon and even though they have strict safety procedures and wear full PPE, she's no fool......