Conversation with Knight about losing faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

God's Truth

Many people, especially these days, are willing to submit their character to something beneath it in the mistaken belief that the ends will justify their means.

You just are not qualified to school anyone on the use of the word 'retarded'. I hereby give my consent to the use of the word to everyone but you.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
...that's pretty funny.

and you wonder why people hate you :nono:

I respect people for their character and the quality of their reason.

Irony_Meter.gif

ok doser

You just are not qualified to school anyone on the use of the word 'retarded'. I hereby give my consent to the use of the word to everyone but you.

you are entitled to give consent, by virtue of being the parent of a mentally handicapped child

still puzzling over why town thinks that he is entitled to give or withhold consent :think:

seems kinda retarded to me :idunno:

God's Truth

you are entitled to give consent, by virtue of being the parent of a mentally handicapped child

still puzzling over why town thinks that he is entitled to give or withhold consent :think:

seems kinda retarded to me :idunno:

Thanks, ok doser, I have enjoyed are comradeship on this.

ok doser

When out in public, an older woman called him 'stupid', another time someone said I should keep my animal at home.

those people are mean-spirited and should be admonished and avoided

Those are mostly the sort of people who use "retard"...

in a hurtful way against those who are deserving of patience and understanding, yes

Pond scum trying to take what they believe to be as low a shot as can be given.

that's your imagination working overtime - it may be true in some cases, in most i would suspect it was carelessness and insensitivity

Because when they call someone without a mental disability "retard" it only has strength by connection to your son and people like him.

now that's just silly

and more than a little revealing

"your son and people like him"
[MENTION=14521]God's Truth[/MENTION] - are there any people like your son, or do you believe your son is an individual? I suspect you know other handicapped children, or adults, who are more profoundly disabled than your son, and some who are less profoundly disabled

They're insulting both at the same moment.

no more so than my statement that you are intellectually crippled is insulting to people with spina bifada

Like what you just did? So then, you call yourself pond scum, or you don't know that you do? It's called being a hypocrite.

he does tend to step in the crap he's shoveling fairly often, doesn't he? :chuckle:

God's Truth

those people are mean-spirited and should be admonished and avoided

in a hurtful way against those who are deserving of patience and understanding, yes

that's your imagination working overtime - it may be true in some cases, in most i would suspect it was carelessness and insensitivity

now that's just silly

and more than a little revealing

[MENTION=14521]God's Truth[/MENTION] - are there any people like your son, or do you believe your son is an individual? I suspect you know other handicapped children, or adults, who are more profoundly disabled than your son, and some who are less profoundly disabled

no more so than my statement that you are intellectually crippled is insulting to people with spina bifada

he does tend to step in the crap he's shoveling fairly often, doesn't he? :chuckle:

If you don't mind my saying so, I think you have a good heart and maybe why I was never offended by you using the word retarded. We might not have the exact same beliefs about the gospel, but you helped me out like a good Samaritan when I needed it. Thanks.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If you don't mind my saying so, I think you have a good heart and maybe why I was never offended by you using the word retarded.
If you weren't offended by his use you're really no different in that regard, so why would you be offended?

We might not have the exact same beliefs about the gospel
If by that you mean he rejects your works for salvation, assuming he cares (certainly neither of you appear to prioritize it above coming together to go after me...which is an interesting consideration.

Well, you have your priorities.

Right. Like her son. People with varying degrees of mental disability.

@God's Truth - are there any people like your son, or do you believe your son is an individual?
That's a false dichotomy. Everyone can be an individual and still be alike in any number of meaningful ways.

I suspect you know other handicapped children, or adults, who are more profoundly disabled than your son, and some who are less profoundly disabled
Let's just hope she owns a dictionary that has the definition of "like" in it. :plain: You don't appear to...so maybe she won't.

Nothing you said here was true, right, or helpful.
If that was true you wouldn't substitute a string of declarations for reasoned rebuttal.

:think: Or maybe you're a sock. I've never seen two actual people with a rift of that consequence in religious terms, one they pretend to be meaningful to them, cozy up and ignore it like you this...a sock or you're just using religion the way he does, only he's better at it so far.

You're entitled to hand out unsupportable declarations in lieu of argument supported by fact, after a similar fashion. :thumb:

ok doser

People with varying degrees of mental disability.

on one end of the scale, we have low-functioning individuals, like her son

on the other end, high functioning individuals, like you

of course, in your case it's not a matter of cognitive impairment, it's more a lack of understanding of or willingness to adhere to moral values - like an autistic you find it difficult to recognize social norms

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
on one end of the scale, we have low-functioning individuals, like her son
on the other end, high functioning individuals, like you
See Sod. See Sod try to cobble something that has nothing to do with what was actually said or why.

Again:
Right. Like her son. People with varying degrees of mental disability.

Sod tried to trot out a false dichotomy and is now in search of the next distortion.

But the beginning was this::
When out in public, an older woman called him 'stupid', another time someone said I should keep my animal at home.
Those are mostly the sort of people who use "retard". Pond scum trying to take what they believe to be as low a shot as can be given. Because when they call someone without a mental disability "retard" it only has strength by connection to your son and people like him. They're insulting both at the same moment.

In a way, GT is worse than you on the point, sod, assuming GT is actually someone else. Because she claims to have a child with a severe mental handicap and uses and even defends your usage of the term. Between that and abandoning the thing she claimed as God's Truth in a near missionary frenzy of activity on the other site, before waving hand at it here to hold yours, well, she's either as rudderless as you, is in fact you, or has a substantive problem with reasoning.

ok doser

let's see - do any of these appear to apply to town?

The twenty traits assessed by the PCL-R score are:

glib and superficial charm

grandiose (exaggeratedly high) estimation of self

need for stimulation

pathological lying

cunning and manipulativeness

lack of remorse or guilt

shallow affect (superficial emotional responsiveness)

callousness and lack of empathy

parasitic lifestyle

poor behavioral controls

sexual promiscuity

early behavior problems

lack of realistic long-term goals

impulsivity

irresponsibility

failure to accept responsibility for own actions

many short-term marital relationships

juvenile delinquency

revocation of conditional release

criminal versatility

Read more: http://www.minddisorders.com/Flu-Inv/Hare-Psychopathy-Checklist.html#ixzz5fCTNHofW

Last edited:

glorydaz

let's see - do any of these appear to apply to town?

The twenty traits assessed by the PCL-R score are:

glib and superficial charm
grandiose (exaggeratedly high) estimation of self
need for stimulation
pathological lying
cunning and manipulativeness
lack of remorse or guilt
shallow affect (superficial emotional responsiveness)
callousness and lack of empathy
parasitic lifestyle
poor behavioral controls
sexual promiscuity
early behavior problems
lack of realistic long-term goals
impulsivity
irresponsibility
failure to accept responsibility for own actions
many short-term marital relationships
juvenile delinquency
revocation of conditional release
criminal versatility

Read more: http://www.minddisorders.com/Flu-Inv/Hare-Psychopathy-Checklist.html#ixzz5fCTNHofW

Let's keep this simple. Town is a classic example of an Egomaniac.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
it's not surprising that you don't recognize your disability, or are unwilling to acknowledge it. Very few psychopaths believe themselves to be ill.
In conclusion then...I think I actually admire that you've taken your impulses and control them this way, where you won't actually hurt anyone. I'm sorry that they have and will continue to do what they've done to your actual life, but short of divine intervention I'm not sure what could change that.

So I'll put you on the prayer list and you can let me know if it ever does you any good.

I hope that it does. Now then, back to life. :cheers:

ok doser

In conclusion then...I think I actually admire that you've taken your impulses and control them this way, where you won't actually hurt anyone. I'm sorry that they have and will continue to do what they've done to your actual life, but short of divine intervention I'm not sure what could change that.

So I'll put you on the prayer list and you can let me know if it ever does you any good.

I hope that it does. Now then, back to life. :cheers:

✓ glib and superficial charm

✓ grandiose (exaggeratedly high) estimation of self

✓ need for stimulation

✓ pathological lying

✓ cunning and manipulativeness

✓ lack of remorse or guilt

✓ shallow affect (superficial emotional responsiveness)

:thumb:

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
you two may be familiar with this, but i find it fascinating - people like town are arguing to control my language because it may be offensive to some undefined person somewhere, somewhen - but he thinks nothing of the use of the terms "moron", "idiot", "cretin" and "imbecile"
This is the tweet twitter requires me to remove myself, before I can continue using their social media site.
@piersmorgan Why do you keep railing against people with mental defects? Murderers are not 'maniacs,' they are murderers. Please keep them separated in your mind, you [-ubar word] [R word].
(I was commenting on a spiteful anti gun rights tweet @piersmorgan made, one of very many that they made that day.)

I censored it for this site . . . wait, I excessively censored it for TOL: Here's the TOL-compliant version:
@piersmorgan Why do you keep railing against people with mental defects? Murderers are not 'maniacs,' they are murderers. Please keep them separated in your mind, you [-ubar word] retard.
The twitter-compliant version is not visible on TOL because of the -ubar word, but the R word is OK here. It's vice versa on twitter.

I'm thinking of just caving in and removing the tweet and getting back on, but it's really only so that I can contact Catholic TV on twitter, and complain about something to them concerning their streaming on-demand shows on the Roku.

Do you think I should just cave to twitter being R words? It doesn't feel right, and it'd be easy enough to start a new twitter account and just continue on my way, but at the same time, this tweet is not published; nobody can see it but me, because even though it's not technically deleted, it's never going to see the light of twitter day, one way or another; I'll either remove it, and it won't be shown, or I'll just walk away, and it won't be shown. So that seems like I'm already defeated in even using their platform, if I don't want to abide by their rules, no matter how R word those rules are (and I mean, they are as if a cluster of clinically R word people made the decisions).

It seems like there's such a thing as a lost cause, and as a checkmate. I don't want to be R word about this and break my forehead on a wall of bricks. Maybe I just come back and get more creative about saying the R word without actually saying the R word.

But I think the bottom line is that it is R word, that I am forced to have to think this through myself, without any boundaries that aren't arbitrary (to your point). If there are no inalienable boundaries, then this is a waste of time, but if there are, no one can show us the tablets, it's like Joe Smith who couldn't show us the plates, but could conveniently recall thousands and thousands of words that he read off those plates, with optical character recognition and Google Translate auto-replacement enabled reading glasses, and he lost the reading glasses too.

There's no moral authority here. The First Amendment doesn't invoke any authority, that's what the freedom of speech and of the press means, nobody can tell you with valid authority that how you're expressing yourself is wrong; if anybody could, then we wouldn't possess the inalienable right to free speech, but we do possess that inalienable right.

Why can't I just say the R word and all the -ubar words? This, I ask to the famous "some undefined person somewhere, somewhen" that you named. Their answer? Crickets. It's made up, by the people who are pointing fingers. If they didn't point fingers, this wouldn't be so R word. And ironically if they weren't so R word, they Wouldn't Point Fingers.

To your point.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
does twitter allow "tard"?

or the "f" variant?
On the latter, I think that is permitted, but I'm not 100%. I never cared for that version, but it's an aesthetic thing; I'm more of a snob about it.

And I just think that the former, butchers an otherwise really beautiful word. I don't want to use that, even if the twittards are OK with it.

Maybe I'll just say 'R word' and have to leave it at that, die on some other hill instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.