CNN Anchor: ‘Our Rights Do Not Come From God’

shagster01

That is not relative. First things first. My obligation is to protect the child I have brought into this world.

The decision to save your child may not be relative, as I would do the same. But that makes the "wrongness" of killing and innocent man relative.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
[CNN Anchor: ‘Our Rights Do Not Come From God’ by Curtis Kalin] "During a heated discussion over gay marriage, CNN morning Anchor Chris Cuomo opined that the unalienable rights endowed to all Americans do not come from God.

Cuomo was debating Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore on the constitutionality of same-sex marriage. Near the end of the back-and-forth and after Moore argued that rights cannot be handed down by men, Cuomo blurted out:

“Our rights do not come from God, your honor, and you know that. They come from man... That’s your faith, that’s my faith, but that’s not our country. Our laws come from collective agreement and compromise.”​

Maybe Mr. Cuomo flunked elementary civics. The opening sentence of the second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence clearly affirms:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed…”​
Full text: CNN Anchor: ‘Our Rights Do Not Come From God’ Deut. 4:13
Chris Cuomo is one of those people who takes the Constitution literally.

PureX

God gave me the 'right' to think for myself, and thereby choose who I will be. And no one can take that from me.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
i suppose we forget. in the civil war, both sides thought God was on their side. many southerners traced it back to Ham's curse on one of his children from God

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Correct. But those laws are based on general concensus.
Not exactly, unless you mean a general consensus of those empowered to make the rules.

I had a similar conversation with my son the other day. I told him he must treat others as he wishes to be treated.
The Golden Rule is always a first rate bit of advice.

That's exactly what they (the South) tried....come to find out, the "collective" was larger than their pea-brains! :idea:
Or, that's what our Yankee cousins thought of Native Americans, only there was no one to stop them until that population had been stripped of nearly everything and mostly destroyed.

I suppose pea brained thinking isn't really geographically inspired after all.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Or, that's what our Yankee cousins thought of Native Americans, only there was no one to stop them until that population had been stripped of nearly everything and mostly destroyed.

I suppose pea brained thinking isn't really geographically inspired after all.

Oh boy...you've dun crossed the Mason-Dixon!

Dems' fite'n words! :Clete:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Oh boy...you've dun crossed the Mason-Dixon!

Dems' fite'n words! :Clete:
:nananana:

Look out! It's the ghost of Bear Bryant!

Spoiler
Bear-Bryant-_-Alabama.jpeg

Otherwise, whatever the debate over the origin of right inequity in the protection of it is contrary to any good reason.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Otherwise, whatever the debate over the origin of right inequity in the protection of it is contrary to any good reason.

Don't bunch up TH.

It was generalized pith imply a select, southern-based group whom championed racial superiority. Present company - obviously - excluded. :e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Don't bunch up TH.

It was generalized pith imply a select, southern-based group whom championed racial superiority. Present company - obviously - excluded.
Oh, the last bit wasn't aimed at your comment, only reflected a sudden urge to get back more solidly on the topic for form's sake and remove us from the potential for thread derailing. :)

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
[CNN Anchor: ‘Our Rights Do Not Come From God’ by Curtis Kalin] "During a heated discussion over gay marriage, CNN morning Anchor Chris Cuomo opined that the unalienable rights endowed to all Americans do not come from God...

Ask any liberal where they think rights come from.

122464-barbara-walters-obama-we-thought-he-liberal-logic-101-2521-1-.jpg

Morpheus

Actually I hadn't given it much specific thought until now, but off the top of my head I can not think of anything in NT scripture where it grants us any rights. God allows us free will, but that isn't actually a right. But life, liberty or the pursuit of happiness, none of those is promised to any of us. We're told that our life might end at any moment and to always be prepared. Even the new testament gives instructions about how to treat slaves, and how slaves are to behave toward their masters; although if you can gain freedom it is preferred. As far as the pursuit of happiness goes, basically we are told to be content with what we have; that is less pursuit than it is acceptance that God will care for us even if we are dying, starving or hanging from a precipice. So unless some scripture comes to mind it does appear that the concept of "rights" is a self-serving man-made idea. The concepts of rights and humility do seem to be in conflict.

If someone wants to use OT here we need to remember that the Torah was law for the earthly kingdom of Israel. The NT is instruction about faith and doesn't include law since Christ's kingdom is not earthly. Since rights pertain to law Christ left the granting of rights to earthly kings and leaders.

Simon Baker

BANNED
Banned
On the OP. Everything comes from GOD ! Also the NT speaks of obedience and giving account to those that watch over us. As stated in a previous msg, the law is subject to the corruption of mankind, like everything on earth. The 10 Commandments are forever in place

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Since the literal text of the U.S. Constitution does not say anything explicitly about God this CNN commentator is actually correct. He is simply taking the document literally.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Since the literal text of the U.S. Constitution does not say anything explicitly about God this CNN commentator is actually correct. He is simply taking the document literally.

I didn't see usa or constitution in the thread, and don't know the anchor or the video, but i thought the constitution mentioned God. i know the writers believed in God, as did the puritans, quakers, pilgrims and most early settlers. moot - :bang:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I didn't see usa or constitution in the thread, and don't know the anchor or the video, but i thought the constitution mentioned God. i know the writers believed in God, as did the puritans, quakers, pilgrims and most early settlers. moot - :bang:
That is definitely something that is part of what I posted.

Most of us often "assume" we know what the truth is, but more often we don't.

The U.S. Constitution does not mention God. It is clear to me that the writers of the document wanted to keep the mention of God out of it, based on their own experiences in England under King George III.

But we can think, assume or "know" whatever we want.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
That is definitely something that is part of what I posted.

Most of us often "assume" we know what the truth is, but more often we don't.

The U.S. Constitution does not mention God. It is clear to me that the writers of the document wanted to keep the mention of God out of it, based on their own experiences in England under King George III.

But we can think, assume or "know" whatever we want.

true, and gradually we got "in God we trust" and "one nation under God" and the colonies were started seeking mainly "religious" freedom. ironically, the King's Bible became our standard here. so technically our "rights" began in worship of God and Jesus Christ. i "assume" "most" of "founding pappys" were Christian and "heavily" "influenced" politically by the Bible. in fact, i just "know" it. - :patrol:

PureX

true, and gradually we got "in God we trust" and "one nation under God" and the colonies were started seeking mainly "religious" freedom. ironically, the King's Bible became our standard here. so technically our "rights" began in worship of God and Jesus Christ. i "assume" "most" of "founding pappys" were Christian and "heavily" "influenced" politically by the Bible. in fact, i just "know" it. - :patrol:
Keep in mind that the early colonists were here a very long time before the revolution. And they were horribly oppressive religious communes, for the most part. Centuries of this religious oppression passed in the new world before the American revolution occurred, and that was not in response to religious oppression, but to economic oppression. And when we did create a new nation, the founders were careful not to let the religious zealotry and oppression of our then more recent past gain a ruling foothold. There are many letters attesting to this fact.

And the "In God We Trust" and "One nation under God" did not happen until many more years later, when we began printing standardized money, and far later still, when some politician stuck the phrase in the Pledge of Allegiance to make himself appear holier than his opponents during an election cycle.

The point being that the United States was not established for the purpose of freedom of religion in response to religious oppression in Europe. In fact, the early colonists tended to be utopian religious zealots who oppressed themselves quite severely. And the founders were careful not to let them have any power in the new nation when it was finally established. While the tradition of lip-servive to God and country is basically just the result of politician's posturing.