CNN Anchor: ‘Our Rights Do Not Come From God’

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[CNN Anchor: ‘Our Rights Do Not Come From God’ by Curtis Kalin] "During a heated discussion over gay marriage, CNN morning Anchor Chris Cuomo opined that the unalienable rights endowed to all Americans do not come from God.

Cuomo was debating Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore on the constitutionality of same-sex marriage. Near the end of the back-and-forth and after Moore argued that rights cannot be handed down by men, Cuomo blurted out:

“Our rights do not come from God, your honor, and you know that. They come from man... That’s your faith, that’s my faith, but that’s not our country. Our laws come from collective agreement and compromise.”​

Maybe Mr. Cuomo flunked elementary civics. The opening sentence of the second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence clearly affirms:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed…”​
Full text: CNN Anchor: ‘Our Rights Do Not Come From God’ Deut. 4:13

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
[CNN Anchor: ‘Our Rights Do Not Come From God’ by Curtis Kalin] "During a heated discussion over gay marriage, CNN morning Anchor Chris Cuomo opined that the unalienable rights endowed to all Americans do not come from God.

Cuomo was debating Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore on the constitutionality of same-sex marriage. Near the end of the back-and-forth and after Moore argued that rights cannot be handed down by men, Cuomo blurted out:

“Our rights do not come from God, your honor, and you know that. They come from man... That’s your faith, that’s my faith, but that’s not our country. Our laws come from collective agreement and compromise.”​

Maybe Mr. Cuomo flunked elementary civics. The opening sentence of the second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence clearly affirms:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed…”​

"The church's meddlings have caused good men to reject the whole (gospel) in disgust."

--Thomas Jefferson

shagster01

I think he is correct in a sense. The world is absent any sort of rights for anyone. The only "rights" we have are the ones we collectively agree to let ourselves have.

bybee

I think he is correct in a sense. The world is absent any sort of rights for anyone. The only "rights" we have are the ones we collectively agree to let ourselves have.

It would then depend on the collective.
The very fashion in which we are created gives us innate abilities and innate liabilities as well as qualifications. Along with these abilities is the right to assume freedom to develop and utilize them.
I am a woman. A collective of men cannot be allowed to decide what my rights might be.

shagster01

It would then depend on the collective.
The very fashion in which we are created gives us innate abilities and innate liabilities as well as qualifications. Along with these abilities is the right to assume freedom to develop and utilize them.
I am a woman. A collective of men cannot be allowed to decide what my rights might be.

For your own good as a woman they cannot. But in reality (and according to nature) it is survival of the fittest.

I treat people according to the "rights" I feel they deserve, but only so that I might be treated in kind. It's self-serving and the fittest way to survive.

bybee

For your own good as a woman they cannot. But in reality (and according to nature) it is survival of the fittest.

I treat people according to the "rights" I feel they deserve, but only so that I might be treated in kind. It's self-serving and the fittest way to survive.

What you "feel" people deserve may not be at all what they "feel" that you deserve. Feelings are not always reciprocal.
This is why there are Laws/laws.

shagster01

What you "feel" people deserve may not be at all what they "feel" that you deserve. Feelings are not always reciprocal.
This is why there are Laws/laws.

Correct. But those laws are based on general concensus. Even laws that help/favor minority groups are.

I was using "I" as both an individual term (do unto others...) and a collective term.

I had a similar conversation with my son the other day. I told him he must treat others as he wishes to be treated. That does not guarantee others will treat him that way, but it does guarantee a fulfilling life that he can be proud of, which is more important. The conversation was specifically about karma.

bybee

Correct. But those laws are based on general concensus. Even laws that help/favor minority groups are.

I was using "I" as both an individual term (do unto others...) and a collective term.

I had a similar conversation with my son the other day. I told him he must treat others as he wishes to be treated. That does not guarantee others will treat him that way, but it does guarantee a fulfilling life that he can be proud of, which is more important. The conversation was specifically about karma.

I do feel that what goes around comes around.

PureX

Of course he is correct if he was talking only of our civic legal rights, as the Declaration states.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The only "rights" we have are the ones we collectively agree to let ourselves have.

So when whites in Texas don't agree collectively with you, and tie a black man to their truck and drag him to their death, they didn't violate his rights because they don't agree he had them.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I guess it matters what one views as a right.

Right and wrong are absolutes, and your rights come from that. They are gifts from God. God instituted government to protect those rights. Men pervert God's government.

quip

BANNED
Banned
So when whites in Texas don't agree collectively with you, and tie a black man to their truck and drag him to their death, they didn't violate his rights because they don't agree he had them.

That's exactly what they (the South) tried....come to find out, the "collective" was larger than their pea-brains! :idea:

shagster01

I don't believe in "rights". Nobody has a right to anything.

There are laws that create man-made rights that are beneficial to society and I support those. Dragging men to their death behind a truck is not about rights, it's about losing sight of the fact that we must find ways to get along and work together for the betterment and survival of our species. Killing each other is not a good survival method most of the time.

shagster01

Right and wrong are absolutes, and your rights come from that. They are gifts from God. God instituted government to protect those rights. Men pervert God's government.

No. They are relative. Is it right to kill an innocent man if your own child's life depends on it or would it be right to let the child you are supposed to protect die instead? Would you do it?

republicanchick

] Deut. 4:13

he tried to make it seem that he also believes in God...

how utterly ironic

What kind of God would that be?? the kind who gives none of his created humans any rights?

um... maybe he better not claim to believe in God, capital G, the God Christians believe in

++++

bybee

No. They are relative. Is it right to kill an innocent man if your own child's life depends on it or would it be right to let the child you are supposed to protect die instead? Would you do it?

That is not relative. First things first. My obligation is to protect the child I have brought into this world.