Clarence Page: Who’s afraid of critical race theory? Those who don’t know what it is

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Who knows. The fact is that many parents feel that this is what's being taught, or proposed to be taught, or otherwise promoted. And their accusation if true is reasonable.

It's important to know if any one curriculum deserves criticism. They simply can't be lumped into the same, every school district and state will have different standards. And how will you know if their accusation is reasonable if you don't know if it's true?

My understanding is that he was saying that many parents are concerned. Whatever is actually being taught is almost irrelevant to this fact.

It's absolutely relevant. At this point, we don't know if the many concerned parents are concerned about something that's real, or a chimera.

If there is a misconception, then there is a responsibility for those promoting any idea, to speak clearly to avoid misconceptions, but as far as I'm concerned there also is a duty upon those who might have a misconception, to honestly try to understand.

I'd agree with that.

marke

In that barrage of words you've sprayed around like an out of control fire hose was this little nugget:

No, Lon. I didn't lie. An honest reader of my posts to you in this thread would see this.

And you are not my friend. You've thrown a lot of insults at me in the misbegotten notion that you're doing it out of a friendship that simply doesn't exist. Just drop the pretense, you're not going to break me of anything, or teach or preach me into anything. You're going back on ignore for the third or fourth time in the last few years, because it seems like every conversation with you degenerates into you berating me six ways to Sunday. I'd rather deal with the unvarnished hatred of posters here who aren't shy about what they think about me and would never consider me a friend - or me them - than the barrage of character assassination I get from you under the guise of "friendship," or "love."
Any friend to Jesus is no friend to lies like CRT.

marke

Lon

I stand by my assessment of Anna. What Anna does have is a backbone as well as intelligence. TOL is a better place due to her interactions on the forum.
Let's talk about that. If one sides with evil during their evil, what kind of 'friend' does that make one?
If one corrects a friend, when they are wrong, what kind of friend does that make?
If one attacks a friend's "foe" (not that I think like this, I don't, I have care and concern for everyone I talk to on TOL and it isn't feigned or fly by night (one of the first songs I learned to play, I really do try to be a friend); then they aren't being of a friendly character either, because they'd stand up for what is wrong.

Several years ago, Anna was being picked on in a few threads. She was angry with a few of us BUT I spoke against other friends for the behavior. Perhaps she was mad because I wasn't strong enough on the point, but I don't side with friends or acquaintances when they are being abusive. I'm not that kind of friend.

Let's talk about 'backbone.' Standing up for one's convictions is great. Town Heretic and I do not see eye to eye but as long as he and I are committed to good, committed to God, and committed to truth, and then brothers to boot, we don't have to agree on anything but these commonalities. I think he'd agree that our sense of proper ethics are often strained but not to any breaking point. I'm pleased to call him a friend and brother. Anna, I've tried in a similar fashion. Being on a forum, we don't get to know one another as well as other avenues, but I haven't thought of her as anything but a friend. I do get caught with people no longer calling me a friend. Perhaps I'm a difficult person to befriend or stay friends with online. It isn't true in real life. I may need to work on my online persona. If anything, I'd hope, even if someone doesn't like me, they'd see honesty and would value it.

Last edited:

Lon

In that barrage of words you've sprayed around like an out of control fire hose was this little nugget:
"Like out of control?" :thinking. I believe it is a very controlled series of posts. Was this a truthful assessment,, or were you exaggerating, you know in another kind of verbal attack?
No, Lon. I didn't lie. An honest reader of my posts to you in this thread would see this.
Watch:
Yeah, that won't be happening, Lon.

Have a nice evening.
Wasn't true. I was not seeking to 'break you.' It leaves you inept or doing this on purpose. Just wrong or did you lie?
but you have nothing to back it up. So, it's your opinion then.
Wasn't true. I'd said I'd watched it on the news. It wouldn't be 'my' opinion then. Just wrong or did you lie?
And you are not my friend. You've thrown a lot of insults at me in the misbegotten notion that you're doing it out of a friendship that simply doesn't exist.
Show me. Show me ONE insult. Just one. Show me instead of what to me is a false accusation.
Just drop the pretense, you're not going to break me of anything, or teach or preach me into anything.
Maybe not. It is ever my attempt. Growing, being honest, and knowing truth cannot be shoved. I agree.
You're going back on ignore for the third or fourth time in the last few years, because it seems like every conversation with you degenerates into you berating me six ways to Sunday.
I'm not really worried about an ignore list, Anna. I'm concerned with truth and discussion, not banter or mistruth.
I'd rather deal with the unvarnished hatred of posters here who aren't shy about what they think about me and would never consider me a friend - or me them - than the barrage of character assassination I get from you under the guise of "friendship," or "love."
Truth is truth is truth. I cannot and won't change my character. I will continue to work on being better. You can go ahead and run away. I've asked nothing of you but truth. I do expect it and it is the reason for this part of the discussion. -Lon

Lon

You posted to me first, Lon. For the record.

If you don't like how it goes, by all means, find someone else who better suits your parameters.
Another, for the record. Look at what I'd said:
YOU started on me, for the record.
😂 No, I hadn't noticed. I guess I was busy having a conversation while you were seeking the approval of men.

Shifting blame, are you?

See? I hadn't said anything mean or snarky to you. You really did 'start on me' in the above post.

I will ... try ... to break you ...
You monster!
At least it seemed monstrous to me and of course with a little flourish on your quote, it was the exact problem. I don't know why chopping off part of a quote, to make is say something else, wouldn't be considered monstrous (let alone truthful). It makes me out to be that guy and wasn't honest or nice.
I don’t care, Lon.
This was perhaps the hardest for me to read. The guy wasn't nice, reported clearly on a slant, so even beginning a thread with a bit of a snarky, mean, unscrupulous reporter is a bit of a nonstarter on a Christian thread where we are trying to discuss what is actual instead of what one reporter either cannot see in himself, or is just this dishonest would say. Anna, either duped (harder for me to believe, I really do think of her as intelligent enough), or just wanted to 'bait' similarly as Whitmire? There are certainly baiting words given to Christian conservatives here. I honestly believe it is the proverbial elephant in the room. As far as I can see, there isn't a lot of substance (some) regarding a good discussion of Critical Race Theory. As I have stated, I probably shouldn't have come to this thread either, the hook was already baited for a totally different discussion than the one I believe needs to take place. This thread was meant, rather (even if not Anna's attempt and that is being gracious if you read the first two pages), to be alienating where 'blocking Lon' is but one inevitability from taking such a stance. I lament that politics to 'split us apart' as a nation are continuing and I cannot help but see that this is the intent and focus here. I'd love to be wrong, but that will be a long discussion with a lot of quotes. There are a lot of baited statements. -Lon

Last edited:

Lon

How a Conservative Activist Invented the Conflict Over Critical Race Theory

To Christopher Rufo, a term for a school of legal scholarship looked like the perfect weapon.

For anyone interested in actually reading the above link, it's pretty even-handed. Both liberal and conservative should be able to find something they agree with - and of course disagree with.
Probably a good starter to the thread I thought I was participating in. It raises good questions and though liberal, looks honestly at those conservatives that oppose Critical Race Theory seminars.

The largest problem to date is this: Most CRT promoters honestly believe their rendition is the only one, which makes these seminars more indoctrination than an appeal to logic, reason, truth, and what is right and fair. Because it is 'retraining' it is its own problem (as was said in this article). It fosters an 'us/them' rift continuing throughout society with a no holds barred approach to fixing it: Get Woke, or else we'll replace you or eliminate you (my summary of another point in the article shared by one executive's misgivings). Such heavy handed restructuring is already making for a less democratic, more authoritarian society.

I just read a sign that said $1000 sign-up bonus for employment near Seattle (where much of the article comes from). There are thousands of people moving away from Seattle. It has jacked up the house prices everywhere else in the state because the Emerald City is starting to look increasingly trashy as it continues to be unfriendly toward Republicans (business people) as well as to any Democratic entrepreneurs, and progressively inviting towards those who don't want to work, are begging, thieving, and harming other members of society: protected by Seattle government: and doing drugs (this I can substantiate). Such 'woke' agendas are leaving heavy physical scars on the city (needles in parks, trash piled 3 feet high on the streets, and graffiti painted on most structures).

In among that is additional 'training' to continue to give deference to those who are harming our society, among those who really could use help. I'm not sure how to help people groups who has had a century, to figure out how to get on one's feet (not restricted to any one color, but certainly for blacks as we discuss this), with over half of a century of assistance.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

"I do think it’s important actually for those of us in uniform to be open-minded and be widely read. And the United States Military Academy is a university. It is important that we train and we understand.

I want to understand white rage, and I’m white. And I want to understand it. So what is it that caused thousands of people to assault this building and try to overturn the Constitution of the United States of America? What caused that? I want to find that out. I want to maintain an open mind here. And I do want to analyze it. It’s important that we understand it.

Our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines, and guardians - they come from the American people. So it is important that the leaders, now and in the future, do understand it. I’ve read Mao Zedong. I’ve read Karl Marx. I’ve read Lenin. That doesn’t make me a communist. So what is wrong with understanding, having some situational understanding about the country for which we are here to defend?

And I personally find it offensive that we are accusing the United States military — our general officers, our commissioned, non-commissioned officers, of being 'woke' or something else because we’re studying some theories that are out there.

That was started at Harvard Law School years ago and it proposed that there were laws in the United States, antebellum laws prior to the Civil War, that led to a power differential with African Americans who were three quarters of a human being when this country was formed. And then we had a Civil War and an Emancipation Proclamation to change it, and we brought it up to the Civil Rights Act in 1964, it took another 100 years to change that. So look, I do want to know. I respect your service and we’re both Green Berets, but I want to know. It matters to the discipline and cohesion of this military.”

Last edited:

DakotaRose

I don't think most right-wingers know what it is. They just know FOX tells them they should be outraged.
So, please enlighten us. But you can't use terms like white-washed, white privilege and white worship in your explanation because those demonstrate that you have also fallen into the same propaganda trap you accuse right-wingers of believing.