Christians: Who do you pray to?

chair

This is mostly aimed at Trinitarians, but I will be glad to hear from others as well.
When you pray, who are you thinking of? The Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit? This is not a theological question. I am curious as to how people think about this in day to day life.

A fair case can be made that some Catholics pray to Mary- though I am aware that it is not theologically correct. But I am asking everybody, not just Catholics.

chair

holy mary mother of God pray for us

I know, I know. That is what people are supposed to pray. But at the 'popular' level, people don't do what they are supposed to. Don't get me wrong- we have a somewhat similar problem in Judaism. Some people pray at the tomb of Mother Rachel. Are they asking her to pray for them, or praying to her? Probably some of each.

Who do you pray to?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I know, I know. That is what people are supposed to pray. But at the 'popular' level, people don't do what they are supposed to. Don't get me wrong- we have a somewhat similar problem in Judaism. Some people pray at the tomb of Mother Rachel. Are they asking her to pray for them, or praying to her? Probably some of each.

Who do you pray to?

it doesn't matter - just pray

nikolai_42

This is mostly aimed at Trinitarians, but I will be glad to hear from others as well.
When you pray, who are you thinking of? The Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit? This is not a theological question. I am curious as to how people think about this in day to day life.

The first thing I would point out is that visualizing God is not scriptural. Rather, it tends to idolatry. No man has seen God at any time - so to pray with an image of who you are praying to in mind is - in my view - dangerous. Rather, God has given us His word and so in praying, I try to think on that - to remember how He taught us to pray and measure my requests by scripture. So I'm not really thinking of either Father, Son or Holy Spirit but remembering I am addressing the Father, praying by and through the Son and relying on the Holy Spirit to help me to pray.

Truster

It would depend on the kind of prayer. In thanksgiving to the Triune Elohim. In supplication to the Father in the Name of the Son, Yah Shua Messiah. There are other types of prayer that are prayed according to the specific roles of the Father and The Son in salvation and in providence, amen.

Last edited:

daqq

A fair case can be made that some Catholics pray to Mary- though I am aware that it is not theologically correct. But I am asking everybody, not just Catholics.

Says HaShem, Unto Me every knee shall bow, and every tongue shall confess by(in) Yah.

Hallu-in-Yah!

It is not right to shorten the Name of the Father, and therefore, I do not believe the authors of holy writ would do such a thing, (neither Moses nor the Psalmists). Imho Yah is not His Name but rather IN His Name, (ever within the bosom of the Father, and seated at His right hand side). Well, that is two of my forty-two sense anyways: I pray unto the Father in the name of His Son, (His Word). :)

john w

Hall of Fame
All prayer is to be directed to God the Father, through the Lord Jesus Christ. No prayers directed to God the Father, will be/are honored, unless through the Saviour. Check it out in the book, per Acts 17:11 KJV.