Challenge/Offer To Bob B...

TheLaughingMan

BANNED
Banned
chatmaggot said:
I basically asked the same thing of TheLaughingMan in the speed of light forum (actually I asked why he didn't contact them) and he said that he would rather "not talk to the nuts in person".

He would rather get on a forum and talk about them and their work rather than actually talk to the "nuts" in person.
You asked me why I didn't engage Setterfield about his c-decay theory directly. Setterfield is beyond hope, he is at the least dishonest and at the worst insane, he's beyond help.

Now people here are just misguided and ignorant for the most part (YEC's/YUC's).

I'm so sorry to engage these people in discussion, I thought that was the whole point of these forums...

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
I never ever even once mentioned Setterfiled and his c-decay theory. I never ever even once mentioned Setterfiled.

You claim "Now people here are just misguided and ignorant for the most part..."

Since you are here, your statement also makes you misguided and ignorant for the most part. Welcome to the CLUB!

JustinFoldsFive

Bob B said:
That being the case I will take a break and attend to some things around the house that I have been neglecting, and try to accomplish them before taking my wife out to dinner.

Hopefully the people who have felt compelled to post useless comments can now "run free" and "get it out of their system".

Tomorrow I will return to what I hope will be an interesting and fruitful discussion free of what I believe is sometimes call "spam".

Sounds like a plan. I have quite a bit of homework tonight, and I really can't afford to spend half of my evening on the TOL discussions boards...again! Additionally, my friend and I are playing an acoustic set tomorrow night at a coffee shop on campus, so we'll have to take some time tonight to run through our set. But anyway, when you return tomorrow, Bob, please resume the discussion by addressing the following post of mine...

JustinFoldsFive said:
Your analogy is flawed. Using your analogy, one must know what constitutes a "meaningful sentence" prior to the point at which you change a letter. There is no such prior knowledge requirement when it comes to evolution. With evolutionary theory, the result of the mutation (letter change) is a meaningful intermediate sequence, so long as the organism survives. If the mutation is not beneficial (or even harmful), the organism will die, and will not constitute a meaningful intermediate sequence.

TheLaughingMan

BANNED
Banned
chatmaggot said:
I never ever even once mentioned Setterfiled and his c-decay theory. I never ever even once mentioned Setterfiled.

You claim "Now people here are just misguided and ignorant for the most part..."

Since you are here, your statement also makes you misguided and ignorant for the most part. Welcome to the CLUB!
Sorry chatmaggot, I got you confused with macguy who actually e-mailed Setterfield. Anyway the answer is the same, why would I talk to AiG nuts directly? They can't be persuaded.

I'm simply trying to help people that may be ignorant about basic physics from being swindled by some less than honest people on this forum who sometimes appear to be infallible. Many (not all) Christians here simply believe whatever they say and post here. It's important for you to know that this YEC/YUC is not a dominant or even valid scientific position.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Dread Helm said:
:nono: I"m sorry BillyBob, but since you don't even engage in the Religious side of things, you have no room to talk from personal experience.

You are wrong, I was engaged in a friendly scientific [OK, for me it was scientific, for bob b it was religious] discussion with the perpetrator and when I demonstrated that he was wrong about the topic [a thread which he started], he immediately shifted the topic to my person and started spewing lies about me.

Now, I couldn't care less about the personal statements or lies, but I'm not going to pretend they didn't happen.

bob b is a lying weasel and entirely incapable of reasonable debate.

TheLaughingMan

BANNED
Banned
BillyBob said:
You are wrong, I was engaged in a friendly scientific [OK, for me it was scientific, for bob b it was religious] discussion with the perpetrator and when I demonstrated that he was wrong about the topic [a thread which he started], he immediately shifted the topic to my person and started spewing lies about me.

Now, I couldn't care less about the personal statements or lies, but I'm not going to pretend they didn't happen.

Now you know how it feels to discuss things with you in the Politics forum!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
BillyBob said:
:nono:

Bob b, is one of my favorite TOL posters.

I think calling him a liar is wrong and unfair.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Knight said:
:nono:

Bob b, is one of my favorite TOL posters.

I think calling him a liar is wrong and unfair.

It is accurate and entirely fair. Go read the first few pages of his dopey 'Woolly Mamoth' thread and you'll see exactly what I am talking about.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
BillyBob said:
It is accurate and entirely fair. Go read the first few pages of his dopey 'Woolly Mamoth' thread and you'll see exactly what I am talking about.
I have far more faith in his opinion (and his account which is similar to Walt Brown's who is an expert on the topic) than I do yours.

Yet that doesn't make you a "liar" simply because you disagree with him. Are you catching "Sozo syndrome"?

Evoken

BillyBob said:

Just because he disagrees with you it doesn't means that he is a liar. People can be mistaken, too. Personally I think that Bob B is sincere in what he says about Evolution, but he is just mistaken or misinformed about it, thats all.

That doesn't makes him a liar.

Valz

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Knight said:
I have far more faith in his opinion (and his account which is similar to Walt Brown who is an expert on the topic) than I do yours.

This has nothing to do with Walt Brown [bob b took the same erroneous position as a cover for his lies], it has everything to do with bob b's false allegations about me. [Not that I really care]

That doesn't make you a "liar" simply because you disagree with him. Are you catching "Sozo syndrome"?

That is an innacurate assessment of my position.

bob b lied, plain and simple. I expect that from morons like NuGnazi or Mopey, that is the best they can do. But when I engaged in a friendly, non combative and non personal discourse with bob b and refuted his position, he took the lowly tactic of a flailing loser and made personal remarks embelished with lies.

Now, I didn't start this thread, so you can't accuse me of flaming against this guy. Nor do I particularly mind when people use those types of desperate tactics, I am quite acclimated to them. I am simply speaking the truth, something that frequently elludes bob b.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Valz said:
Just because he disagrees with you it doesn't means that he is a liar.

You people aren't paying attention, I never accused him of being a liar simply because we disagreed.

Evoken

Knight said:
I have far more faith in his opinion (and his account which is similar to Walt Brown's who is an expert on the topic) than I do yours.

Brown is no expert in any subject he covers in his book. He is a mechanical engineer who apparently developed his hydroplate theory long before he learned anything about geoology.

He also refuses to debate his theories in peer-reviewed journals or scientific conferences.

Valz

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thank you Justin for your reasonable discussion on the subject of evolution. This is rare indeed on these discussion forums. I will now respond to your previous comment about the "analogy".

Originally Posted by JustinFoldsFive
Your analogy is flawed. Using your analogy, one must know what constitutes a "meaningful sentence" prior to the point at which you change a letter. There is no such prior knowledge requirement when it comes to evolution. With evolutionary theory, the result of the mutation (letter change) is a meaningful intermediate sequence, so long as the organism survives. If the mutation is not beneficial (or even harmful), the organism will die, and will not constitute a meaningful intermediate sequence.

First, it is not exactly my analogy. The analogy was first presented by Richard Dawkins in his classic work The Blind Watchmaker. It was his analogy with evolution that was flawed, I simply have made a slight change to it to correct his flaw.

Dawkins was demonstrating how easy to would be for random changes plus natural selection to create a particular sentence METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL.

His flaw was twofold. His example started out with a random string of characters of the same length as the sentence mentioned above. He wrote a computer program which would randomly change a letter in a random position of the "in-process" sentence.

At each step of a step-by-step process the program would check to see if the "proposed" new letter matched the "target" sentence at the corresponding position in the sentence.

This approach he declared, was analogous to Natural Selection.

His computer program when run rapidly converged to the desired "target: sentence, proving that random mutations plus natural selection worked.

I presume that you are perceptive enough to detect the multiple flaws in his analogy compared to what happens in the real world with mutations to DNA which then become exposed to the environment around a living creature.

------------------

My modifications of Dawkin's analogy.

First let me say that the idea to use language as an analog to DNA and life is a brilliant one. But like many brilliant ideas, concepts are sometimes garbled in their detailed implementation, so that subsequent investigators may need it modify the detailed implementation.

The first flaw is that evolution, as opposed to abiogenesis, does not presume that evolution began with random strings of DNA. Instead they logically start with a working lifeform of some sort. Therefore, I modified the analogy to start with a working (feasible) or meaningful sentence, which of course is the analog of a string of DNA, a gene, which codes for a working string of DNA which in turn will eventually generate a "working" protein. (A "working" protein is one which folds into something loosely thought of as a ball, which then has a function, because proteins which fail to do this are essentially without function)

The second flaw of the original analogy was the assumption of a "target" string of letters that the step by step process is working towards, i.e. the selection process in the computer program "knew" what the answer should be and rejected any in-process string of letters which did not "work" toward advancing the process toward the desired goal.

The next step here consisted of compiling a list of all possible words in the English language, one, two, three, etc. letter words. This was a prelude which is not actually used in the analogy as such, but is include merely to illustrate that not all sub sequences of letters in a sentence are feasible (sentences are composed of words).

The second step in correcting the orginal analogy was to recognize that the "selection" had to be more analogous to natural selection, which is to say that it cannot have a "target" sentence that it is working toward. The selection process here will simply look at the in-process sentence and determine whether a new "working" string of letters has resulted from a random change to one of the letters in the old sentence (the "in-process" string). If not then the new working string of letters is discarded (killed). This is more analogous to what happens in nature, where "mutants" (failures) die, because they fail to work properly. Their DNA fails to code for a properly functioning protein, which in turn cripples some bodily function which in turn makes them less fit to survive.

The third correction step is actually the same as the second, but is mentioned to illustrate an additional flaw in the original analogy. Specifically, an "in-process"string of letters that doesn't mean anything should not be retained just because some of its letters happen to match a future "target" sentence. Natural Selection cannot look ahead to some future desirable target. Thus, in the modified analogy, an "in-process" string is not retained simply because it might prove to be useful at some time in the future. It is only retained if it works immediately, meaning in this case that it is a new sentence which has discernable meaning (using the observer as an analog of natural selection).

At this point let us review your criticism of my "revised" Dawkin's analog.

Originally Posted by JustinFoldsFive

What you are saying here seems to me to be equivalent to the points I was making regarding Dawkin's analogy, and led me to revise his analogy to be more realistic.

You said, "one must know what constitutes a "meaningful sentence" prior to the point at which you change a letter."

Although this is true I fail to see that it is relevent to the revised analogy. Natural Selection knows what is "meaningful", as does the observer of an English sentence who is acting as the analog to Natural Selection. Anyone familiar with the English language can easily detect when a sentence "does not work".

I await your reply with anticipation, but please do not neglect your studies for my sake. I will be patient, so please do not feel pressured to draft an immediate reply if this does not fit your immediate schedule.

Johnny

Last weekend I wrote a small program that mutates a given gene into a target sequence given parameters such as genome size, population size, generation time, mutation rate, and selection coefficient. Basically it randomly inserts the gene into a genome of whatever size you specify. Then it starts to mutate the genome. Each mutation has a 70% chance of being an point mutation, a horrendously small chance of being a mutation in the actual gene (depends on the genome size you specify), and even smaller chance of being the right base. If the mutation happens to be a point mutation at the right base, it then has a 33% chance of mutating towards the target sequence (i.e. 1 / 3 chance to be the correct base mutation), and a (2 * selection coefficient) chance of being integrated into the genome. If it is actually incorporated into the genome, the program then runs a quick calculation to determine the number of years it would take to incorporate the gene into the entire genome given the population size, the selection coefficient, and the generation time. After it calculates the number of years necessary to insert into the genome, it begins the process all over again. This is done until the input gene matches the target gene. The output is the # of years / generations / total mutations / etc.

Then I wrote another program which takes the same parameters and simply does a statistical analysis -- no actual mutating of the genome. The predicted evolution rates and the actual evolution rates (given the above program) correlate very nicely.

The problem with running such simulations, as Bob b touched on, is that we must apply some selection criteria. And since we're not really using life-forms, reproductive success isn't really a viable option. Dawkins chose to use "anything towards the goal" as his selection criteria. If we were trying to apply his program as a real-life analogy, the assumption made is not that evolution works towards a specified product, rather evolution works as an algorithm towards a goal. That goal is increased reproductive fitness. Thus, with Dawkins program and in mine, the underlying assumption is that each mutation is a positive mutation (i.e. it must benefit the organism, or at least not harm the organism). Consider the following simulation of the evolution of a gene sequence.

TTT CTT CTG TTC AAG AAC ATC TCC TTG
TTT CTT CTG TCC AAG AAC ATC TCC TTG
TTT ATT CTG TCC AAG AAC ATC TCC TTG
TTT ATT CTG TCC AAG AAC ATC TCC TTA

Final sequence:
TTT ATT CTG TCC AAG AAC ATC TCC TTA

The assumption at each of those intermediate sequences is that it is working towards a goal. In my simulation, that goal is the target sequence. In real life, that goal is increased reproductive fitness. So while the program may spit out a number in the form of years (that sequence took 547 years to evolve in a population of 15000 organisms with 100k genes each replicating once a year with a mutation rate of one per replication), there is also the assumption that each intermediary stage is beneficiary. In real life, we are not guaranteed that. So a real simulation is actually very difficult to accomplish, because you to program a defined set of instructions or a guidelines by which to compare each intermediate form.

I don't know why I just ranted on about all that. Just wanted to tell you about my program and the difficulties of modeling natural selection.

JustinFoldsFive

Bob, your error is that you argue evolutionary theory and English sentence structure to be analogous. The glaring problem with your analogy is that the result of any genetic mutation, so long as the host organism survives and reproduces, IS a meaningful intermediate sequence (assuming descendents of this mutated organism also mutate [regardless of when the descendents mutate], hence the term "intermediate"). Therefore, an accurate analogy (in regard to evolutionary theory) would state that "METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL", and 'QETHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL", and, "QETHINKS IT IS LIKZ A WEASEL" are all meaningful intermediate sequences. This is because nature's only criteria of meaningful is "able to survive and reproduce". With the English sentence structure aspect of your analogy, there are a predetermined set of letter and word combinations (albeit extremely vast) that constitute a meaningful intermediate sequence. Therefore, maintaining a cohesive sentence or paragraph by changing one letter at a time is practically impossible (depending on the amount of changes you are making). In nature, while it is also rare that mutations prove to be beneficial to their host organism, it is not nearly as rare/impossible as your English sentence structure analogy, because the predetermined guidelines as to what constitutes a meaningful intermediate sequence are more feasible in nature than those for continually creating a cohesive sentence/paragraph.* As I have stated earlier, survival is the sole guideline. Now, if you deny that beneficial mutations occur, I will gladly present evidence to the contrary. However, your analogy fails to prove much of anything.

(EDIT) * Reason being: With regard to evolutionary theory, there is a general criteria of what constitutes a "meaningful intermediate sequence"; survival. Your sentence analogy, on the other hand, goes above and beyond this general criteria, and requires not only the general criteria, but also an additional predetermined criteria (it must remain a "meaningful" sentence by our predetermined standards of English sentence composition). Obviously your analogy would be nearly impossible in regard to evolutionary theory if the genetic mutations had to transform the organism into a "target organism", as your sentence structure example does. If you believe evolution is supposed to work in that manner, I am afraid you are greatly mistaken.