ECT Can you be a Christian and not go to church?

Right Divider

Body part
So long as there is a bona fide priest there (Holy Orders, Apostolic succession) to validly celebrate the Eucharist, then that is 'church'---no distinction from 'a private worship service at home' in such case. Without clergy there, then it is limited, since there can be no valid celebration of the Eucharist. Acts 2:42 KJV 'breaking of bread'
s-l300.jpg

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Unfortunately, so many churches have gone astray with top down leadership instead of the other way around.
What is your opinion on the 'bishops,' 'elders,' and 'overseers' mentioned in Scripture? Did they not form/require some sort of hierarchy in Church leadership? Weren't the Apostles anyway 'top down leadership' while they lived?

Idolater

We are not saved in groups but individually. Still, God has a church on earth and it is the ground and pillar of the truth. Staying away means losing out on priviledges which God has been pleased to provide.

Str -1 i pa
BBL

Of course, the Lord regularly gives His Bride wedding gifts!

Idolater

They're everywhere, but they teach falsehoods instead of Truth!
Nope. Question: If a married person divorces and then marries another, is that adultery? The Catholic Church says yes. Is homosexual activity sinful? The Catholic Church says yes. Is God the Trinity? The Catholic Church says yes. Is Christ risen from the dead? The Catholic Church says yes.

Right Divider

Body part
Nope. Question: If a married person divorces and then marries another, is that adultery? The Catholic Church says yes. Is homosexual activity sinful? The Catholic Church says yes. Is God the Trinity? The Catholic Church says yes. Is Christ risen from the dead? The Catholic Church says yes.
I wasn't trying to claims that 100% of what they teach is error. But they teach PLENTY of ERROR.

MennoSota

These days, it's practically a per-requisite to not attend church. Churches today have become little more than a means for Republicans to indoctrinate people with their anti-Christian talking points (their all extremely pro-capitalist, for instance, despite the fact that the scriptures make it quite clear that greed is a sin)

You also get super liberal churches that go to the other extreme and want to just fit in with society by saying that gay marriage, abortion, etc. is all OK.

Very hard to find a church that actually does the work of the Lord.
I can only speak for my area in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis/St Paul. While there are many liberal and conservative churches on the political spectrum, there are also many who stay out of politics and do the good work that God has gifted them to do. The gifts are exercised to the encouragement of the body of Christ.
Your post reminds me how blessed I am to be in such a healthy body of believers. We have members going on nearly 100 years of life while our nursery is full. We extend grace to the body just as God extended grace to us.

Idolater

Why would the elect children of God not want to meet together and praise their Father in communion?
A variety of very valid reasons, some of which are on display itt.

Incidentally, 'in communion' means something very particular to the Catholic Church. It means that we ascent to the pastorate of Peter, and that we have not committed any grave/serious sins since we either established communion (were received by the Church), or since we last reconciled with the Church through the sacrament of Reconciliation/Penance/Confession.
Hebrews 10:21-25
[21]And since we have a great High Priest who rules over God’s house,
[22]let us go right into the presence of God with sincere hearts fully trusting him. For our guilty consciences have been sprinkled with Christ’s blood to make us clean, and our bodies have been washed with pure water.
[23]Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise.
[24]Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works.
[25]And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.
Wonderful New Testament passage, addressed to the Catholic Church, which was the only---THE---Church in the Apostolic era, and for the next 1000 years. :thumb:

Idolater

Christians are the church.
True. Of course, we do all know what is meant by 'go to church' also, and that it isn't the same exact word as in 'Christians are the 'Church,'' we know it's homonymy. :)

MennoSota

A variety of very valid reasons, some of which are on display itt.

Incidentally, 'in communion' means something very particular to the Catholic Church. It means that we ascent to the pastorate of Peter, and that we have not committed any grave/serious sins since we either established communion (were received by the Church), or since we last reconciled with the Church through the sacrament of Reconciliation/Penance/Confession.
Wonderful New Testament passage, addressed to the Catholic Church, which was the only---THE---Church in the Apostolic era, and for the next 1000 years. :thumb:

Putting aside the silliness of claims about the church of Rome being the only church, and putting aside the false claim of Peter being a pope, in communion simply means fellowship with one another.
We can address the idol worship of the Roman church and Eastern Orthodox church some other day.

MennoSota

So does any sin break that communion? Or not?
Sin can cause fellowship to be broken if it is not repented and confessed to God. Sin can be very terrible in the local body of Christ when it is not dealt with by the elders.
Revelation 2:12-16,18-25
[12]“Write this letter to the angel of the church in Pergamum. This is the message from the one with the sharp two-edged sword:
[13]“I know that you live in the city where Satan has his throne, yet you have remained loyal to me. You refused to deny me even when Antipas, my faithful witness, was martyred among you there in Satan’s city.
[14]“But I have a few complaints against you. You tolerate some among you whose teaching is like that of Balaam, who showed Balak how to trip up the people of Israel. He taught them to sin by eating food offered to idols and by committing sexual sin.
[15]In a similar way, you have some Nicolaitans among you who follow the same teaching.
[16]Repent of your sin, or I will come to you suddenly and fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
[18]“Write this letter to the angel of the church in Thyatira. This is the message from the Son of God, whose eyes are like flames of fire, whose feet are like polished bronze:
[19]“I know all the things you do. I have seen your love, your faith, your service, and your patient endurance. And I can see your constant improvement in all these things.
[20]“But I have this complaint against you. You are permitting that woman—that Jezebel who calls herself a prophet—to lead my servants astray. She teaches them to commit sexual sin and to eat food offered to idols.
[21]I gave her time to repent, but she does not want to turn away from her immorality.
[22]“Therefore, I will throw her on a bed of suffering, and those who commit adultery with her will suffer greatly unless they repent and turn away from her evil deeds.
[23]I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am the one who searches out the thoughts and intentions of every person. And I will give to each of you whatever you deserve.
[24]“But I also have a message for the rest of you in Thyatira who have not followed this false teaching (‘deeper truths,’ as they call them—depths of Satan, actually). I will ask nothing more of you
[25]except that you hold tightly to what you have until I come.