calling Pope Father.. Jesus used term "Father Abraham"

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
The fact of the matter is, you don't believe the plain reading of that particular verse either. So what it comes down to is - what makes your interpretation the right one?

Keeping the versus in their proper context as God intended.

glassjester

Keeping the versus in their proper context as God intended.

Yes, I wouldn't disagree with that.

But let's not demand a plain reading of the "Father" prohibition, when in fact, we're interpreting it to mean something other than what it plainly states.

Cruciform

Does anyone know whether or not "Cruciform" is nothing more than a computer?The answers would indicate that that is what IT is, all one usually gets is "You have already been decisively answered in Post #XXX.which takes you to a RCC site of already written articles and pulled from a menu as on a phone, push X for-I see no human personality, thought or reasoning, just pre-programed replies.
No more so than the anti-Catholics here like yourself, who mindlessly parrot the same old hackneyed and long-discredited anti-Catholic claims and stereotypes. Tell you what, if your hopelessly unworkable approach ever changes, I'll be glad to change my answers.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Yes, I wouldn't disagree with that.
There's a shocker!!

But let's not demand a plain reading of the "Father" prohibition, when in fact, we're interpreting it to mean something other than what it plainly states.
The Catholic church, as exemplified by Cruciform's link, is doing everything they possible can to avoid a plain and contextual reading of the passage.

Cruciform

Again stating that you do not believe Jesus or God when they speak plainly.
CM actually believes that the entirely non-authoritative opinions of his preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect possesses the binding authority to declare what is and is not the "plainly spoken" meaning of Divine Revelation for the rest of us---despite the glaring fact that his chosen man-made sect is decidedly not that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself (as CM himself has repeatedly admitted), and so simply possesses no doctrinal authority whatsoever. Nice exercise in straightforward sophistry, though.

That is what it always comes down to with you. When anybody posts actual scripture, you reply with a link to what Catholics say about what they think scripture says.
...just as your posts are intended to support the interpretations of Scripture that you have derived from your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect. See just above.

You do not believe God's word as He left it for us...
See the first answer above.

...you only believe the entirely man-made opinions of your sect.
Already decisively answered here. :yawn:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

Right, it was hundreds of years before the Cats would allow their followers to even have a Bible...
Just another mindlessly parroted anti-Catholic stereotype on your part. Your ignorance is noted.

Cruciform...only knows what the RCC has written, the Bible means nothing to him.
Rather, your entirely non-authoritative interpretation of the Bible means nothing to me. Big difference there. Besides being utterly unable to come up with anything but fallacious pseudo-arguments such as the ignorant Ad Hominem Fallacy above, your comments indicate that you're also simply a liar (Prov. 19:5). May God help you.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

Once again, I accept that you concede that you have nothing of value or interest to add to the conversation.
Once again, I accept that you concede that you have no valid counter-argument---let alone an actual disproof---of the content of Post #226 above, which thus stands exactly as posted.

republicanchick

Matthew 23:9 KJV -

some Christians do not believe in taking the Bible absolutely literally in EVERYTHING it says

the notion of Bible-only is ridiculous.. if 4 no other reason than this: Not all truth (reality, e tc)can be contained in a mere book...

in other words GOD cannot be contained by a book

He is not finite

as books are

__

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
"obedience to God" = "whatever happens to agree with the hopelessly non-authoritative opinion of CM's chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect"

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

It's far far simpler than that. God sends His Jesus to redeem us. Jesus says don't call your spiritual leaders father. Therefore, I don't call spiritual leaders father. Jesus speaks, I obey. Simple.