Boy Scouts Announce They Will Accept Girls

quip

BANNED
Banned
If I had a daughter, I wouldn't want her sleeping in tents with boys.

Is it okay if they build fires together; practice making knots, walking old ladies across the street in scouting unison or does that cross taboo lines for you as well?

Lon

Perhaps, the important distinction lies in a child becoming merely a "Scout" rather than with the superfluous gender designations.

Probably. The roles were distinct (still are to some degree) such that 'scouts' might need to be rethought. It used to be scouts were mainly involved in 'outdoor' activity and education. I am a bit surprised the # of those enjoying the outdoors is going up. My aunt was a MUCH better scout leader than my actual scout leader. In scouts, I never went camping, never made it to the woods. It might as well have been a 'study the book for badges in the future' troop :( Most people I talk to had quite a different experience than mine :Z

For me, I'm not seeing this so much as a 'gender' issue and change, but a cultural change demographic.

I was equally, not surprised to see that most people who enjoy our national parks, are white. It seems perhaps the YMCA YWCA for city kids, scouts for suburb, FFA for rural, which all still makes sense to me. As rural shrinks, so does the FFA (Future Farmers of America) and scouts.

For the most part, I'm for anything that helps kids discover their interests and talents, therefore any similar/same interests (like the Arts for instance) that does coed works. I'd still think women do the majority of the cooking in America, so I don't see Girl Scouts disappearing in the near future, nor would I expect many girls wanting to go into Boy Scouts (Maybe the Sea Scouts though :think:).

Some other activities taking up slack: Skate Parks, Riding Clubs, Arts/drama, Computer camps, Homework. We know kids are spending more time texting and doing YouTube. My nephew posted this and I think it kind of sums up the youth: "I went outside once, the pixels were terrible!"

glassjester

Is it okay if they build fires together; practice making knots, walking old ladies across the street in scouting unison or does that cross taboo lines for you as well?

Sure, that's not taboo.

But I do think there's value in having an institution specifically dedicated to the social development of boys.

Lon

This one gave me pause to think:

Matt Walsh said:
A quick note on the Boy Scouts deciding to remove any remaining reason for their own existence by admitting girls.
Many people have told me that this is good a...nd fair because the Boy Scouts offers the opportunity to do things that girls can't do in Girl Scouts. I don't know if that's true or not, but it's completely irrelevant.
Here's a crazy idea: maybe not everything in society needs to be centered around giving opportunities to girls. Maybe not everything is about girls always. Maybe some things are about boys and for boys. Or used to be, anyway. It's OK for boys to have their own spaces. It's OK for boys to do their own thing sometimes. Or it used to be, anyway.
Boy Scouts are supposed to be for boys. That's the whole point. It's right in the name of the organization. Boy Scouts were meant to help boys become men. Girls don't need help becoming men because they're girls.
This may be a scandalous notion for feminists, but guess what? Sometimes boys like to just be around other boys and have the kind of male bonding that is simply not possible if girls are forced into the mix. And this bonding is important. It's essential to the healthy formation of boys.
I know there are girl who like to say, "I'm just one of the guys, really." But you're not. You're not one of the guys anymore than I'm one of the girls. Maybe you like camping and sports and whatever else, but that doesn't make you a boy, nor does it entitle you to intrude into every single male space or male gathering.
And we wonder why our boys are struggling so much. They're growing up with the impression that there's nothing special or unique about boyhood, and their desire to just be with the guys sometimes is wrong and bigoted. They're made to hate themselves and forced to bond with girls in a way that's unnatural and unfulfilling, pretending that they see the girls just as they see other boys. It's confusing, degrading, and unfair.
Meanwhile, girls can still have their own spaces. Except for the locker room. Boys can go there. Because nothing makes sense in our ridiculous culture. Matt Walsh
· October 11 at 1:46pm ·
Reminds me of a couple of episodes of the Brady Bunch :)

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
And how about allowing adults that "feel" like they're still kids?

6ca.png