Ben Carson is pro-abortion.

elohiym

Let's not pretend that Ben Carson is anti-abortion. Clearly, he is pro-abortion with exceptions.

Women who get pregnant from rape or incest should be able to go to the emergency room for an "abortion pill," Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson said Thursday.

Speaking on Fox News Channel’s “Your World with Neil Cavuto,” the anchor asked Carson if he believes women should be able to get abortions in cases of rape or incest.

“I would hope that they would very quickly avail themselves of the emergency room, and in the emergency room, they have the ability to administer RU-486 and other possibilities before you have a developing fetus,” Carson said, more than five minutes into the interview.​

His position on abortion appears consistent with his Seventh Day Adventist (SDA) beliefs. The SDA position on abortion includes the following statements:

...Abortions for reasons of birth control, gender selection, or convenience are not condoned by the Church. Women, at times however, may face exceptional circumstances that present serious moral or medical dilemmas, such as significant threats to the pregnant woman's life, serious jeopardy to her health, severe congenital defects carefully diagnosed in the fetus, and pregnancy resulting from rape or incest. The final decision whether to terminate the pregnancy or not should be made by the pregnant woman after appropriate consultation....

...any attempts to coerce women either to remain pregnant or to terminate pregnancy should be rejected as infringements of personal freedom.​

brewmama

That seems a pretty typical view on abortion to me, at least for a presidential candidate. Not really "pro-abortion"

elohiym

Not really "pro-abortion"

Carson is clearly pro-abortion in the case of rape or incest. When asked if a woman should be allowed to have an abortion in the case of rape or incest, he didn't just answer in the affirmative but advocated that the woman go to the emergency room and get an abortion pill. He said, “I would hope that they would very quickly avail themselves of the emergency room..."

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Carson is clearly pro-abortion in the case of rape or incest. When asked if a woman should be allowed to have an abortion in the case of rape or incest, he didn't just answer in the affirmative but advocated that the woman go to the emergency room and get an abortion pill. He said, “I would hope that they would very quickly avail themselves of the emergency room..."

clearly he's comfortable with preventing the possible implantation of a fertilized egg

but the dosage for emergency contraceptions, which seems to be what he's talking about, usually works only to prevent ovulation, in which case a fertilized egg would not be produced

elohiym

i'd like to know where he draws that line

The same place his church draws the line. He is a member of the SDA cult and holds to their beliefs and the wacky ideology of their false prophet. As a denomination they believe abortion is acceptable in the case of rape or incest. Individually, some SDAs don't have a clue their church holds a pro-abortion, "personal freedom" position. I know some.

brewmama

I understand that. But that is a standard platform for most politicians, including pro-life ones.

elohiym

clearly he's comfortable with preventing the possible implantation of a fertilized egg

but the dosage for emergency contraceptions, which seems to be what he's talking about, usually works only to prevent ovulation, in which case a fertilized egg would not be produced

Was he side-stepping the question? He was asked whether or not a woman should have the right to an abortion in the case of rape or incest.

Once a woman finds out she is pregnant, let's say from incest, the fetus has been developing for a number of weeks. His church denomination's position on abortion is that it is acceptable to kill a developing fetus in the case of rape or incest.

He understood the question, and while his answer was only applicable to a specific situation, it was an indirect affirmative answer to the question asked.

elohiym

I understand that. But that is a standard platform for most politicians, including pro-life ones.

Carson should not be viewed as a pro-life candidate. Anyone who holds that standard platform you mention isn't a pro-life candidate in my view.

ok doser

Was he side-stepping the question? He was asked whether or not a woman should have the right to an abortion in the case of rape or incest.

i see it as presenting a best practices approach

the reporter should have asked the followup question "if a women becomes pregnant as a result of rape or incest, should she have the right to an abortion, and if so, up to what stage of development?"

brewmama

Carson should not be viewed as a pro-life candidate. Anyone who holds that standard platform you mention isn't a pro-life candidate in my view.

Well, OK. But they are certainly more pro-life than any Democrat you could name.

Rand Paul then stated he has voted for and against legislation with exceptions for extenuating circumstances like rape and incest,

Christie stated, "I am pro-life, I believe in exceptions for rape, incest and the life of the mother

Marco Rubio stated he supports emergency contraception in cases of rape and incest.

Of course Trump is for it.

No statements on it found for Bush, Kasich, Jindal, Fiorina.

The only 2 that actually refuse to grant the exceptions of rape and incest are Cruz and Huckabee.

So why only highlight Carson?

nikolai_42

i see it as presenting a best practices approach

the reporter should have asked the followup question "if a women becomes pregnant as a result of rape or incest, should she have the right to an abortion, and if so, up to what stage of development?"

Leaving the question of whether rape and incest are legitimate grounds for abortion (and still have someone considered pro-life), this presents a serious problem in today's political climate. The ease with which someone can yell "rape!" and get away with it is rather astounding. I don't have citations, but I recently heard about a case in which someone came back a few days after a situation in which the relations were assumed consensual and one party said they didn't say "okay". The legal definition for rape is now very loose such that anything short of signing an agreement beforehand leaves the door open for that claim. Anyone can claim they were raped (in theory, at any time after they know they are pregnant), have an abortion, and then after it happens, the lawsuits begin. Even if it is found not to be rape, the abortion is a done deal.

Any candidate who claims to be pro-life yet allows for rape or incest (can incest even be proven before birth?) is in for a real problem (in my view, at least).

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I'm having second thoughts about Carson as well. He is supposed to be a Christian, yet he seems unable to admit to his own hypocrisy and incompetence in governing.

He castigated the survivors of the recent church shooting and said they should have rushed the gunman and overpowered him.

A quote from Carson some years ago surfaced and he tells the interview about a gunman putting his weapon in his ribs at a Popeye's chicken place. And Carson says he told the gunman: "I think you want the guy at the counter."

Strange.

I have just started going to the candidates' websites and Carson's tax plan is being called naive and simplistic by many economists and media investigative reporters.

I hate feeling let down. I don't think he is qualified for the presidency. He would truly be over his head.

ok doser

I'm having second thoughts about Carson as well. He is supposed to be a Christian, yet he seems unable to admit to his own hypocrisy and incompetence in governing.

He castigated the survivors of the recent church shooting and said they should have rushed the gunman and overpowered him.

cite?

or do you mean the shooting in the oregon community college?

He would truly be over his head.

and what was bammy's economic experience before he became prez?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Let's not pretend that Ben Carson is anti-abortion.

so where is your hillary thread
she and her party supports abortion without exception
and
wants you to pay for it
so
why are you picking on carson?
he will not be the nominee for the republican party
hillary is the odds on favorite to be our next president

brewmama

No he didn't. He was talking about the Oregon shooting at a school, where there was indeed a large group of people that could have done something.

I have just started going to the candidates' websites and Carson's tax plan is being called naive and simplistic by many economists and media investigative reporters.

By people who are panting to take out Carson you mean, since he has become a frontrunner. It's what they do. Why don't you think for yourself and check out how well places that instituted flat tax rates have done, and how the economy is not a zero sum game, that cutting taxes and letting people keep more of their money is not a drastic loss of money for the (big-spending) government.