Babylonians do math, surprise evolutionists:

chair

Disguising an answer to one of your demands by pretending it is something that should be obvious belies your earlier accusation: "It doesn't show how evolutionists were surprised at the recent find."

Now that you've admitted they were indeed surprised, perhaps you can calm down and think through the rest of the issue more sensibly...

Nice try. I did not admit any such thing. Some historians were surprised. Historians. This does not have anything at all to do with biology or evolution.

Maybe it is time to back down- or close the thread, as you often do when shown to be wrong.

chair

Oh, and fixing your language w.r.t. "evolution" and "science" would be an excellent way to show that you are genuinely interested in a discussion. :thumb:

I will not accept your incorrect belief that evolution isn't part of science, not even for the sake of this discussion. It is a transparent attempt to derail the discussion.

Your OP is factually wrong. It is about history, not biology.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nice try. I did not admit any such thing. Some historians were surprised. Historians. This does not have anything at all to do with biology or evolution.

:darwinsm:

:mock: Darwinists.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I will not accept your incorrect belief that evolution isn't part of science.
Fortunately, I did not make the accusation that evolution is not part of science.

You incorrectly used "science" when the conversation was about "evolution." This is a category error.

Learn to read. :up:

Your OP is factually wrong. It is about history, not biology.

:darwinsm:

There is no biology involved. OP is a fairly feeble dig at EVOLUTION, not biology. Learn to stop making category errors, especially after being called on them. :thumb:

6days

chair said:
6days said:
I addressed your claim that evolutionists didn't claim man in historical times was less intelligent. You may have missed the answer, but it seems you dodged.
You may have "addressed" it, but you have not presented a single quote or link to support this claim. You just keep stating it as if it was a fact. It is not.
It's common knowledge, that evolutionists believed other humans "in historical times" were less intelligent.
For example Darwin, claimed that women had the intellect of a negro. He didn't mean that as a compliment.
Do quotes convince you, Chair? I think this is just another dodge of yours, but I certainly can give quotes from Darwinists who think other people groups are less intelligent.

Also....you dodged the question I asked. Do you think the Babylonians, Aztecs, Neandertals and other ancient people groups might have been more intelligent than modern humans.

chair

It's common knowledge, that evolutionists believed other humans "in historical times" were less intelligent.
For example Darwin, claimed that women had the intellect of a negro. He didn't mean that as a compliment.
Do quotes convince you, Chair? I think this is just another dodge of yours, but I certainly can give quotes from Darwinists who think other people groups are less intelligent.

Also....you dodged the question I asked. Do you think the Babylonians, Aztecs, Neandertals and other ancient people groups might have been more intelligent than modern humans.

So far I've gotten "common knowledge" out of you- that is not a source. Nor do I think that Darwin's views on women or blacks is relevant to what "evolutionists" say today. Unless Stripe meant that Darwin was surprised.

And no, if you can find bigoted "Darwinists" who think blacks or Jews or whoever is less intelligent than others- it still is not relevant to ancient Babylonians. I am not dodgiing anything at all. Where's your evidence?

6days

And no, if you can find bigoted "Darwinists" who think blacks or Jews or whoever is less intelligent than others- it still is not relevant to ancient Babylonians. I am not dodgiing anything at all. Where's your evidence?
Sure you are dodging.....
REVIEW:
Chair said "If you claim that "they (evolutionists) often portray ancient man as primitive thinkers", you need to brinf proof- but note that we are talking about historical times."

I have shown how even in recent times, evolutionists believed other people groups were less highly evolved and less intelligent.

As Biblical creationist Christians we find it exciting to see the truth of God's Word being confirmed as we see the intelligence of Neandertals, the Babylonians and other people groups. Would you agree that these people groups may have been more intelligent than modern humans?

Jose Fly

Still waiting to hear from Stripe & Co. on this.

That's why I said "Let the dodging begin". Stripe and 6days both know they don't have any examples of "evolutionists" saying that Babylonians were less intelligent, but they will never admit it either. So all they have left is incessant dodging and childish name-calling.....and that's all you'll get from them.

Then in the end, everyone will get bored with the repetitiveness, the thread will go away, and no one will care. :yawn:

chair

Sure you are dodging.....
REVIEW:
Chair said "If you claim that "they (evolutionists) often portray ancient man as primitive thinkers", you need to brinf proof- but note that we are talking about historical times."

I have shown how even in recent times, evolutionists believed other people groups were less highly evolved and less intelligent.

No, you have said this repeatedly- but you have not shown any sources at all. Link to a source where someone you claim is an "evolutionist" says that ancient Babylonians "were less highly evolved and less intelligent. "
Let's have a source, a link.
[/QUOTE]

6days

Link to a source where someone you claim is an "evolutionist" says that ancient Babylonians "were less highly evolved and less intelligent. "
STRAWMAN FALLACY 'The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a misrepresented version of that position.'

Chair... you are dodging claims that I actually made, and dodging the question... "As Biblical creationist Christians we find it exciting to see the truth of God's Word being confirmed as we see the intelligence of Neandertals, the Babylonians and other people groups. Would you agree that these people groups may have been more intelligent than modern humans? "

chair

STRAWMAN FALLACY 'The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a misrepresented version of that position.'

Chair... you are dodging claims that I actually made, and dodging the question... "As Biblical creationist Christians we find it exciting to see the truth of God's Word being confirmed as we see the intelligence of Neandertals, the Babylonians and other people groups. Would you agree that these people groups may have been more intelligent than modern humans? "

I have been avoiding answering this because it is not what the OP claimed. It is a distraction from my criticism of the OP.
Now I will answer it- but let's get back on track.

There is no real way to compare the intelligence of people today with that of those who lived thousands of years ago. I personally expect that ancient peoples, such as Babylonians or Egyptians were just as intelligent as we are. I will not even venture a guess regarding Neanderthal- there is very little to go by.

Now, let's get back to the point. Which "evolutionists" were surprised at the Babylonian mathematics that Stripe linked to. I insist on quotations and links- so far you have failed to deliver.

chair

That's why I said "Let the dodging begin". Stripe and 6days both know they don't have any examples of "evolutionists" saying that Babylonians were less intelligent, but they will never admit it either. So all they have left is incessant dodging and childish name-calling.....and that's all you'll get from them.

Then in the end, everyone will get bored with the repetitiveness, the thread will go away, and no one will care. :yawn:

Stripe is a sneaky jerk. I get the impression that 6days really doesn't understand the basics of a discussion. But perhaps I am being too generous.

Jose Fly

Stripe is a sneaky jerk.

His MO is goad you into posting something that he can report to the administrators who will then ban you. It's best to just put Stripe on ignore.

I get the impression that 6days really doesn't understand the basics of a discussion. But perhaps I am being too generous.

You know, I know, and 6days knows there are no sources or citations where "evolutionists" argue that Babylonians were less intelligent. But creationists will not admit any error or inaccuracy to any "evolutionist". To them it is far better to deny, deflect, and dodge ad infinitum. You've probably already noticed, but 6days seems to think persistent repetitiveness is what prevails in a debate.

We all know this thread will end without Stripe, 6days, or any other creationist posting any citation to "evolutionists" claiming Babylonians were less intelligent. The only thing that's in question is how long it will take to get there.

6days

chair said:
6days said:
As Biblical creationist Christians we find it exciting to see the truth of God's Word being confirmed as we see the intelligence of Neandertals, the Babylonians and other people groups. Would you agree that these people groups may have been more intelligent than modern humans? "
I personally expect that ancient peoples, such as Babylonians or Egyptians were just as intelligent as we are.
Yes, I agree. They may even have been more intelligent. "Professor Gerald Crabtree, who heads a genetics laboratory at Stanford University in California, has put forward the iconoclastic idea that rather than getting cleverer, human intelligence peaked several thousand years ago."*http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...on-an-intellectual-and-emotional-8307101.html

Articles such as that mentioned in the OP are exciting when science helps confirm the Biblical model.

chair said:
I will not even venture a guess regarding Neanderthal- there is very little to go by.
Little to go on? :) Little to go on has never stopped evolutionists in the past from declaring Neandertals dim witted. That declaration was not based on evidence but on the belief system that intelligence evolved. Fortunately science often corrects evolutionist beliefs. Neandertals were intelligent...quite possibly more intelligent than 'modern humans'.*(There is quite a bit to go on)
chair said:
I insist on quotations and links- so far you have failed to deliver.
Lets look at your 'challenge'.
CHAIR SAID"If you claim that "they (evolutionists) often portray ancient man as primitive thinkers", you need to brinf proof"
ANSWER to 'chairs' challenge...
We don't need to go back to ancient man to see racist thoughts from evolutionists on intellience. Darwin seemed to think intelligence was based on skin color and gender. Those racist ideas are still promoted by some prominent evolutionists.
* Nobel prize winner James Watson said in an interview "said there was no reason to think that races which had grown up in separate geographical locations should have evolved identically. He went on to say that although he hoped everyone was equal, “people who have to deal with black employees find this not true."
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...on-an-intellectual-and-emotional-8307101.html
* Evolutionists ( right here in TOL like Barbarian) have objected to Biblical creationists calling ancient man intelligent and cite the Flynn effect to say modern man is more intelligent.*
* Darwin became more racist in later years believing some people groups were more highly evolved. In Descent Of Man, Darwin said "At some future period, not very distant as measured by centuries, the civilised races of man will almost certainly exterminate and replace throughout the world the savage races. At the same time the anthropomorphous apes, as Professor Schaaffhausen has remarked, will no doubt be exterminated. The break will then be rendered wider, for it will intervene between man in a more civilised state, as we may hope, than the Caucasian, and some ape as low as a baboon, instead of as at present between the negro or Australian and the gorilla."
* Scientific racism...It was prevalent from the time of Darwin until the end of the 2nd world war.* Darwinism was used to justify beliefs that other people groups were less highly evolved, and less intelligent.

Evolutionists have evolved. Many modern day evolutionists now admit, thanks to science, that ancient man had great intelligence.... as expected in the Biblical model. And, some go even a step further saying modern man may not be as intelligent as ancient civilizations....again, as expected in the Biblical model.

Jose Fly

Jose can't argue against what was really said, so he invents a strawman he can fight against. :troll:

Huh....and here I thought the argument put forth in the OP was that "evolutionists" were surprised at Babylonian's mathematical knowledge, which relates to their intelligence. You seemed to get that impression as well, as evidenced by your first post in this thread where you said, "SO...science keeps proving the Biblical model correct. Ancient man was highly intelligent. "

Like I said....let the dodging begin. :yawn: