assault weapons

genuineoriginal

No it doesn't. The bill of rights is about the people, not the governments of the states.
Mostly true (see the tenth amendment).

The second amendment is about the right of individuals to keep and bear arms, because militias are composed of individuals armed with privately owned weapons, and a well regulated militia is needed for the state to remain free from a centralized government or a foreign invader.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mostly true (see the tenth amendment).

The second amendment is about the right of individuals to keep and bear arms, because militias are composed of individuals armed with privately owned weapons, and a well regulated militia is needed for the state to remain free from a centralized government or a foreign invader.

It isn't regulated by the government. That is why a militia is citizen army. Just so you know, I am not in a militia, have never been in one, or would I join one.

genuineoriginal

You are correct. Two points to bear in mind:
1. You wrote that it is their personal weapons. It is not clear from the amendment itself that that is what is meant.
At the time the amendment was written, it referred to any weapon that any individual could own, including canons and other artillery.

2. How many people who "bear arms" in the US today belong to a State Militia?
The point is not whether any of the people belong to a State Militia.
At this time there are no State Militias, because the States have stopped protecting the rights of their citizens.

However, in order to form a Militia, you need armed citizens, so the right to keep and bear arms is recognized as belonging to the citizens of the States, not to the State.

genuineoriginal

It isn't regulated by the government. That is why a militia is citizen army. Just so you know, I am not in a militia, have never been in one, or would I join one.
A militia is a citizen army, but the leaders are appointed by the State.
Check up on the historical composition of a militia, and you will see your mistake.

Last edited:

chair

Define assault weapons? try to be specific...

Wikipedia says this:
It must be an individual weapon
It must be capable of selective fire
It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle
Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable box magazine[5]
And it should have an effective range of at least 300 metres (330 yards)

It gives sources for this definition.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Wikipedia says this:
It must be an individual weapon
It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle
Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable box magazine[5]
And it should have an effective range of at least 300 metres (330 yards)

It gives sources for this definition.

The same article goes on the say this:

"Rifles that meet most of these criteria, but not all, are technically not assault rifles despite frequently being called such.
For example:
Select-fire M2 Carbines are not assault rifles; their effective range is only 200 meters.[18]
Select-fire rifles such as the FN FAL battle rifle are not assault rifles; they fire full-powered rifle cartridges.
Semi-automatic-only rifles like variants of the Colt AR-15 are not assault rifles; they do not have select-fire capabilities.
Semi-auto rifles with fixed magazines like the SKS are not assault rifles; they do not have detachable box magazines and are not capable of automatic fire.
The U.S. Army defines assault rifles as "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges."[19]
History[edit]"-Wikipedia Assault rifle

chair

The same article goes on the say this:

"Rifles that meet most of these criteria, but not all, are technically not assault rifles despite frequently being called such.
For example:
Select-fire M2 Carbines are not assault rifles; their effective range is only 200 meters.[18]
Select-fire rifles such as the FN FAL battle rifle are not assault rifles; they fire full-powered rifle cartridges.
Semi-automatic-only rifles like variants of the Colt AR-15 are not assault rifles; they do not have select-fire capabilities.
Semi-auto rifles with fixed magazines like the SKS are not assault rifles; they do not have detachable box magazines and are not capable of automatic fire.
The U.S. Army defines assault rifles as "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges."[19]
History[edit]"-Wikipedia Assault rifle

It seems that in the US there has been some confusion over the term "assault rifle".It has a specific meaning in the military world, but has been used differently when referring to gun control.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
It seems that in the US there has been some confusion over the term "assault rifle".

:nono: Not among those who have a clue what they are talking about. The only confusion is among the ignorant (willful and otherwise) and the propagandists like the Brady's and Bloomberg's.

It has a specific meaning in the military world, but has been used differently incorrectly when referring to gun control.

Fix't that for ya. :plain:

chair

:nono: Not among those who have a clue what they are talking about. The only confusion is among the ignorant (willful and otherwise) and the propagandists like the Brady's and Bloomberg's.

Fix't that for ya. :plain:

Honestly, I don't follow the US politics on these things that closely. I do think that the US could use better gun control. And when I was in the army, I knew how to handle my assault rifle, along with a handful of other weapons, irrespective of how it was classified.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Honestly, I don't follow the US politics on these things that closely. I do think that the US could use better gun control. And when I was in the army, I knew how to handle my assault rifle, along with a handful of other weapons, irrespective of how it was classified.

I know. :) I's just being particular.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

That means in the US almost every AR-15 and AK-47 are off the table. There are select fire versions for sale, typically around $20-30K. You can only transfer already existing weapons.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The U.S. Army defines assault rifles as "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges

:up:

Thus ends the debate of my RRA being called "assault weapon". To be fair, it isn't even a rifle, it is a carbine.